Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
can you even imagine being at band practice and the singer brings these lyrics
they probably didn't notice, they were all high

Old 11-15-2015, 09:34 PM   #62
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Axl defended this with the good ol' "not all blacks are n******, just the lousy ones, it's just like white trash" defense.

I dunno what he's like now but he was a real piece of shit back in the day. He's said homophobic things many times in public.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:24 PM   #63
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."
Red face

actually slash wasn't so sure about it

Before the release of Lies the other members of the band tried in vain to make Rose drop the track from the record. Fellow GN'R member, Slash, whose mother is black, noted that he did not condone the song but did not condemn his bandmate, commenting in a 1991 interview with Rolling Stone: "When Axl first came up with the song and really wanted to do it, I said I didn't think it was very cool... I don't regret doing 'One in a Million,' I just regret what we've been through because of it and the way people have perceived our personal feelings."

Old 11-16-2015, 12:04 PM   #64
redbreegull

then why not just say the song is from someone else's point of view instead of defending how it is fine to say the n word because only some black people are n words

Old 11-16-2015, 01:39 PM   #65
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

eithier way, defending the whole "cavalier use of the word 'nigger' in his youth" thing might work for like, justin bieber making a joke at 9 years old or whatever, but for a dude in his 20s on his second major label lp, i think he'd have a bit more perspective by that point

Old 11-16-2015, 01:44 PM   #66
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
Probably because he was amused by the reaction to it and didn't care about being perceived as racist, homophobe, nativist, etc. I find it hard to believe that he would actually mean it personally having Slash in the band and Slash actually playing on a song where he says that sort of shit. Axl had a reputation for winding people up and not giving a shit about the ramifications of it.
I'm just not sure you should try to talk about racism anymore.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:16 PM   #67
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
eithier way, defending the whole "cavalier use of the word 'nigger' in his youth" thing might work for like, justin bieber making a joke at 9 years old or whatever, but for a dude in his 20s on his second major label lp, i think he'd have a bit more perspective by that point
I think he was just trying to rustle everyones feathers. It was also a different time and place back then. I remember as a kid hearing the N word in joking or other passings- now I literally never hear it. It's sort of like back 15 years ago when everyone said fag and faggot and very few people cared.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:53 PM   #68
Elphenor
Braindead

lol no

the reality is Axl is just dumb

Old 11-16-2015, 10:53 PM   #69
redbreegull

look I'm not saying that using a racial epithet is like the worst action of racial intolerance one can commit...

but excuses like it was a different time or he didn't mean it are such bullshit. We're talking about the 1990s not the 1890s. Yeah, people's ideas about race relations were different then, but the n word was already a big no no and had been for a long fucking time. Not every white person went around dropping the n word because they didn't know any better or something, and this guy was already a grown ass man.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:02 PM   #70
redbreegull

interview in Rolling Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rose
I used words like police and niggers because you're not allowed to use the word nigger. Why can black people go up to each other and say, "Nigger," but when a white guy does it all of a sudden it's a big put-down. I don't like boundaries of any kind. I don't like being told what I can and what I can't say. I used the word nigger because it's a word to describe somebody that is basically a pain in your life, a problem. The word nigger doesn't necessarily mean black.
Quote:
When I use the word immigrants, what I'm talking about is going to a 7-11 or Village pantries - a lot of people from countries like Iran, Pakistan, China, Japan et cetera, get jobs in these convenience stores and gas stations. Then they treat you as if you don't belong here. I've been chased out of a store with Slash by a six-foot-tall Iranian with a butcher knife because he didn't like the way we were dressed. Scared me to death. All I could see in my mind was a picture of my arm on the ground, blood going everywhere. When I get scared, I get mad. I grabbed the top of one of these big orange garbage cans and went back at him with this shield, going, "Come on!" I didn't want to back down from this guy. Anyway that's why I wrote about immigrants. Maybe I should have been more specific and said, "Joe Schmoladoo at the 7-11 and faggots make no sense to me." That's ridiculous! I summed it up simply and said, "Immigrants."

Quote:
I've had some very bad experiences with homosexuals. When I was first coming to Los Angeles, I was about eighteen or nineteen. On my first hitchhiking ride, this guy told me I could crash at his hotel. I went to sleep and woke up while this guy was trying to rape me. I threw him down on the floor. He came at me again. I went running for the door. He came at me. I pinned him between the door and the wall. I had a straight razor, and I pulled the razor and said, "Don't ever touch me! Don't ever think about touching me! Don't touch yourself and think about me! Nothing!" Then I grabbed my stuff and split with no place to go, no sleep, in the middle of nowhere outside of St. Louis. That's why I have the attitude I have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interviewer
Are you anti-homosexual then?
Quote:
I'm proheterosexual. I can't get enough of women, and I don't see the same thing that other men can see in men. I'm not into gay or bisexual experiences. But that's hypocritical of me, because I'd rather see two women together than just about anything else. That happens to be my personal, favorite thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interviewer
How about gay-bashing? Have you ever beaten up somebody simply because of their sexual preference?
Quote:
No! I never have. The most I do is, like, on the way to the Troubadour in "Boystown," on Santa Monica Boulevard, I'll yell out the car window, "Why don't you guys like pussy?" 'Cause I'm confused. I don't understand it. Anti-homosexual? I'm not against them doing what they want to do as long as it's not hurting anybody else and they're not forcing it upon me. I don't need them in my face or, pardon the pun, up my ass about it.
tl;dr: he had a bad experience where a crazy guy who happened to be foreign attacked him so he hates immigrants. he encountered a gay rapist so he doesn't like homosexuality (unless it's two women zaaa ziing). he thinks that if black people can say the n word he should be able to because this is like all about equality maaan. his saying the n word is actually an exercise in protecting our free speech because there should be NO BOUNDARIES!

Last edited by redbreegull : 11-16-2015 at 11:08 PM.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:03 PM   #71
redbreegull

sounds like a real sensitive, articulate guy with a lot of meaningful things to say about minorities. how could I have ever doubted that he would only attack niggers, faggots, and immigrants with the best possible intentions?

Old 11-16-2015, 11:04 PM   #72
Elphenor
Braindead

hahaha

god damn what a piece of shit

Old 11-16-2015, 11:06 PM   #73
Elphenor
Braindead

my favorite part is like he tries to explain the immigrants thing and then casually drops "faggot" with no explanation

Old 11-16-2015, 11:25 PM   #74
redbreegull

in part of the interview I didn't paste, he defends himself by citing John Lennon's Woman Is the Nigger of the World, which is a political song about the ubiquitous oppression of women across all cultures. Even in a case like this, I'm not fond of the use of the word, but it makes sense in a non-hateful way. Or in XYU, Billy uses the word faggot, which again I'm not crazy about, but it's done in an ambiguous, artful way and is clearly not making the statement "I hate fags"

but One in a Million the lyrics are literally like I can't stand all these niggers and fags and foreigners

also I don't defend Billy Corgan for all the times he has casually used fag, or the transphobic shit he has said. I'm not saying it makes him evil. everyone has said bad things and we all know people who continue to say bad shit like this even though they appear to be pretty decent people overall. but there's no need to defend them. that's just a veiled attempt to protect the ego of the privileged IMO.

Last edited by redbreegull : 11-16-2015 at 11:30 PM.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:27 PM   #75
Elphenor
Braindead

It isn't that the words are a HUGE deal it's just obvious that Axl is an idiot and if you need evidence well here read these lyrics

Old 11-16-2015, 11:37 PM   #76
Elphenor
Braindead

I just hate that this band is still relevant to anyone in 2015, this should be something people are in retrospect ashamed of having liked

Plus this is a fuzzy thread

Old 11-16-2015, 11:46 PM   #77
redbreegull

the only thing gnr fans have to be ashamed of is how abjectly bad this band is

those lyrics (and all the other brainless and prejudiced shit he has uttered) reflect only on axl rose as being a fucking dickbag

Old 11-16-2015, 11:52 PM   #78
redbreegull

no one really gives a shit that you or anyone else likes this band, it was just a joke.

the part about axl being terrible is not a joke though, he sucks as a human

Old 11-17-2015, 12:11 AM   #79
redbreegull

so this totally has nothing to do with the other times you have tried to trivialize racist shit, got it.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:19 AM   #80
redbreegull

come on man purposely misinterpreting what I said when I specifically wrote that post so you couldn't twist it

game is weak. lie down before you hurt yourself.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:40 AM   #81
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

some of us are only just now seeing those lyrics, it's not like they're the words to sweet child of mine or anything which everyone from 1988 & onward have virtually been brought up on

i don't think anyone should really be judging axl rose of the here & now on that, given those lyrics are literally older than me, just look to the past half-decade or what have you!

Old 11-17-2015, 01:42 AM   #82
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Wow axl damn, didn't know he was such a knucklehead. I've always been interested in slash's riffs but couldn't get into gnr b/c axl always reminded me of this glue sniffing fart knocking punk ass on our school bus and the serpentine sidewinder shit made me scoff

Glad I got to read axl's rape story tho and listen to him shred jungles on acoustic. Thread delivers

Old 11-17-2015, 01:50 AM   #83
redbreegull

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Wow axl damn, didn't know he was such a knucklehead. I've always been interested in slash's riffs but couldn't get into gnr b/c axl always reminded me of this glue sniffing fart knocking punk ass on our school bus and the serpentine sidewinder shit made me scoff

Glad I got to read axl's rape story tho and listen to him shred jungles on acoustic. Thread delivers
another satisfied customer. this is a new age, people. a new age.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:13 AM   #84
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
the only thing gnr fans have to be ashamed of is how abjectly bad this band is

those lyrics (and all the other brainless and prejudiced shit he has uttered) reflect only on axl rose as being a fucking dickbag
Yeah this is pretty much what I was saying

Old 11-17-2015, 10:18 AM   #85
Elphenor
Braindead

Slash while a good guitarist wouldn't even crack into a serious top 50 list of great American guitarists

Old 11-17-2015, 12:09 PM   #86
Elphenor
Braindead

I probably couldn't even name 50 guitarists that aren't frontmen tbh I'm just kidding at this point

Old 11-17-2015, 12:21 PM   #87
Elphenor
Braindead

Well the "Guitar Hero" thing is to the detriment of the music usually, you want things to all fit together as a cohesive whole not for everything to be the backdrop for one instrument

At least imo

Old 11-17-2015, 12:21 PM   #88
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

if he ever watched himself in the WTTJ video, it's easy to understand why a gay might have tried something on him. Not exactly the most masculine looking guy there..... Probably why he stopped teasing his hair....well that and the 90's happened. He was a good looking guy, had this almost androgynous look when he was real young. too bad he was also such a piece of shit. But i mean the way he dressed you could tell, it's not like anyone has ever doubted a guy wearing star spangled shorts and a bandanna was NOT a dumb piece of shit.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #89
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

listened to this again because of thread

novaselic calls out the one in a million thing at around the :45 mark
somehow never caught that before
lolz

Old 11-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #90
redbreegull

lol the idea of Slash being in a list of top 50 american guitarists is laughable. don't get me wrong, I respect his skill, but there are too many important guitarists in the world for there to be room for someone like slash. His style is totally derivative and rehashed. He is technically quite proficient, but there are a million regular dudes out there playing in bars and shit who are as good as he is. The only way he makes the list is if it is a list of top 50 american guitarists who play self-indulgent lead for bluesy hard rock bands in the 1980s.

fit him right between zakk wylde and the guy from white snake