Old 08-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
magikarp99
Demi-God

Default Ava Adore Promo Tape

Margin

Old 08-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #2
magikarp99
Demi-God

In-house promo tape of Ava Adore. Only shows 2'30" of the promo video, and as far as I can tell it is identical to the regular video. Still I thought I would upload this in case anyone wants it.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/wp2dct

http://i.imgur.com/PBcbbWrl.jpg

Old 08-01-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
D.
Consume my pants.

Meh.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:45 AM   #4
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

thx!

Old 08-03-2014, 12:18 AM   #5
herzogxyu
Pledge

feeling a little nostalgic and fan nerdy tonight, but i've been thinking about when these albums came out. i had no cd player in the car but a tape player. so i bought every album essentially twice on 2 formats.
i recall the mastering on these cassettes was a bit different/warmer than their cd counterparts. (more lofi, less digital, but still some odd warmth).
in high school i even used to have the mcis singles on cassette. so my question is, do you think anyone did or could upload the tape versions of these albums?
i admit mcis was a bit mushy but the singles and adore were definitely different sounds.
wow. another dead technology.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:36 AM   #6
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

I just used my shitty boombox to record my CDs onto blank tapes.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:50 AM   #7
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by herzogxyu View Post
feeling a little nostalgic and fan nerdy tonight, but i've been thinking about when these albums came out. i had no cd player in the car but a tape player. so i bought every album essentially twice on 2 formats.
i recall the mastering on these cassettes was a bit different/warmer than their cd counterparts. (more lofi, less digital, but still some odd warmth).
in high school i even used to have the mcis singles on cassette. so my question is, do you think anyone did or could upload the tape versions of these albums?
i admit mcis was a bit mushy but the singles and adore were definitely different sounds.
wow. another dead technology.
I'd download them.

24/192 pls

Old 08-04-2014, 12:36 AM   #8
herzogxyu
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
I'd download them.

24/192 pls
Fuck dude, you hit that new 28.8 modem? Schweet

Old 08-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #9
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
The magnetic tape format automatically adds its own tape compression which would describe everything in your parentheticals, especially the "warmth."

On an album like Adore, imo, it completely changes the overall sound for the better. It rounds off the hard edges and gives a little more body to the lower-register, bassy stuff. Good hiss.

Same goes for VHS masters.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:58 PM   #10
herzogxyu
Pledge

yeah, considering they probably recorded on 2" tape that was then transferred down to cassette, makes a lot of difference as opposed to the digital to digital transfer. that said, i'm sure someone could find the tapes and transfer them for that crazy sound which i loved, cept for the hiss.

the hiss was especially bad back in the day tape trading from alt.music.smashingpumpkins news group. i don't miss that.

i do have this clear memory of when tonight kicked in, that chugga chugga chugga guitar sounded great.

oh well.
cheers to dead formats.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:16 AM   #11
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

So what happened to your own tapes?
Sure, someone could find their tapes and spend time to transfer them for you, or you could just pick one up for 5 bucks if you love the format and its sound so much.

The Adore cassette is still available.

http://www.amazon.com/Adore-Smashing...dp/B000006NPZ/

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA...5T0RVk/$_3.JPG

Last edited by pavementtune : 08-05-2014 at 01:37 AM.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:58 AM   #12
Shallowed
Braindead

Shipping to NZ is monstrous. I just went through that link and the total came to 25 NZD

Old 08-05-2014, 02:31 AM   #13
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Ouch. You don't have any local second hand music markets where you can buy old cassettes and LPs?
How much is the shipping from Australia when you buy something on ebay?

Maybe I'll have the time at work to transfer at least the Adore tape. I can't believe nobody has done that yet. Actually I never looked for tape rips by any band, I love the sound, so I still have tape decks and have no use or interest to listen to transfers.

Last edited by pavementtune : 08-05-2014 at 02:39 AM.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:39 AM   #14
Shallowed
Braindead

I can't really say I've bothered much with eBay for the same reason, though I'm not sure what shipping from Australia would be like. My experience has been that a seller will claim a certain cost for shipping, or even free shipping, but when I get to the checkout that I get charged a premium for shipping to NZ.

There is a good record store near me that has loads of LPs and a sizable tape collection, but it's usually the same old tapes, the stock doesn't really get much rotation. Most of it is pop and soft rock from the 70s and 80s.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:34 AM   #15
herzogxyu
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
So what happened to your own tapes?
Sure, someone could find their tapes and spend time to transfer them for you, or you could just pick one up for 5 bucks if you love the format and its sound so much.

The Adore cassette is still available.

http://www.amazon.com/Adore-Smashing...dp/B000006NPZ/

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA...5T0RVk/$_3.JPG
Life happened man. i moved out of my mom's house when i was like 21-22 and she went through my old room, which i lived in my entire life, and thew away/donated all of the cassettes i hadn't taken with me. including old smashing pumpkins records and traded bootlegged shows. she also got rid of all of my old tape recorded home demos and early shows from my early bands.
so i lost a lot.
but that said, yeah we have zia records here in las vegas as well as thrift shops. but honestly, i'm just gonna go the amazon route and get adore, machina and hopefully mcis on tape and transer them myself.

i said it in my other post but adore had a lofi filter sound to it on cassette that isnt there on the cd or vinyl i have (since 1998-9, no big deal). all of that digital sound was washed out a bit. it was nice. same with mcis.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:06 PM   #16
OldAtHeart
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Life happened man. i moved out of my mom's house when i was like 21-22 and she went through my old room, which i lived in my entire life, and thew away/donated all of the cassettes i hadn't taken with me. including old smashing pumpkins records and traded bootlegged shows. she also got rid of all of my old tape recorded home demos and early shows from my early bands.
so i lost a lot.
but that said, yeah we have zia records here in las vegas as well as thrift shops. but honestly, i'm just gonna go the amazon route and get adore, machina and hopefully mcis on tape and transer them myself.

i said it in my other post but adore had a lofi filter sound to it on cassette that isnt there on the cd or vinyl i have (since 1998-9, no big deal). all of that digital sound was washed out a bit. it was nice. same with mcis.
Zia's! That's cool I always stop in when Im in Vegas. I always score some good stuff there but they sure put a lot tape all over their cds to prevent shoplifters...