Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2017, 10:43 AM   #31
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac View Post
The closest I can come up with is Guns n' Roses and even that is getting a happy ending of sorts (not artistically obviously, but they're making a fuck ton of money again at least).
Axl did stadium and arena shows for his entire career even with the shitty hired guns so really not even close.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:08 AM   #32
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
you know i genuinely absolutely cannot think of anyone
Neither can I

Except Hootie and the Blowfish ofc

Old 05-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #33
run2pee
Minion of Satan

From
http://img.wennermedia.com/920-width...1389978082.jpg
To
http://media.salon.com/2017/05/COVER...ED-580x385.jpg

Old 05-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #34
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoitsbonnie View Post
The lostprophets
oooooh that's a rough one. that's in a whole other league to be honest.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:42 PM   #35
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

There is something out there that is worse then Sithrdarathra? Really? Are you sure about it?

I don't think so.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #36
FoolofaTook

From MCIS to Siradrathad: two decades of ignoble decline.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:51 PM   #37
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
Present day Marilyn Manson is like a poor man’s version of himself. He doesn’t compare to the sort of body-snatcher behavior Corgan has exhibited.
I'll say this much: for all Corgan showed up babbling about chemtrails with Bill O'Reilly or putting out shit albums with obelisks, he managed to avoid becoming a completely wetbrained incoherent alcoholic or addict. He was always kind of a whack-job but he can still do coherent interviews and play shows casual fans will enjoy. And while you or I may not have enjoyed Oceania, it did seem to get some kind of good press when it came out.

Manson? The guy can barely sing three songs without getting winded, mumbles his way through lyrics, goes offstage for fifteen minute stretches in the middle of concerts...he's the epitome of washed up. Half his old band's in Rob Zombie (John 5 and Ginger Fish), and nobody from the old days but Twiggy will have anything to do with him. Other members are dead (Gidget Gein), dying (Daisy Berkowitz/Scott Putesky - colon cancer), or half-insane and ranting on facebook wishing that Manson was dead (Pogo/MW Gacy/Stephen Bier)

This was like last week. He sounds barely capable of speech and plainly is still on drugs.

Honestly, those shows with James awhile back are the kind of things Manson's fanbase could only dream about. They're a bright spark; SP could still theoretically have that big-money reunion tour and get that GnR happyish ending. Within 10 years Manson's going to be dead of an overdose or heart attack, and his 'band' hasn't existed for years.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:38 PM   #38
Rider
Minion of Satan

Hootie has had a series of gold country albums so nope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darius...cography#2010s

Old 05-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #39
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Manson has always need an oxygen tank on tour

The rest of it I agree with, holy drugs in that video

Old 05-11-2017, 02:04 PM   #40
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah, he's never been in good health. Heart murmur and everything. And I don't think he'd be remotely capable of the type of performances he used to put on even if he'd kept himself in good shape. But years of substance abuse made him way, way worse than I could ever have imagined.

I saw him opening for Slipknot last year (because my SO wanted to go, even though I tried to warn her), and the whole fucking arena was booing and calling for Slipknot after he fucked off for ten minutes at one point and the stage was silent. Came back, did an acceptable rendition of Sweet Dreams, and barely scraped his way through the rest. Managed maybe seven or eight songs off a ten-song setlist. Felt embarrassed for him.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:10 PM   #41
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

How about The Flaming Lips? A string of stellar albums from the late '90s through the late '00s (I'll go to bat for Embyonic) but then just a slew of cringey bullshit nobody asked for (Heady Fwends? Just the title puts me into a fit of rage).

Also, I want to punch Wayne Coyne harder than any other '90s rocker at this point.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:12 PM   #42
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
if Oceania wasn't called SP i think more people would be OK with it.
Yes. Definitely. If it were a Silversun Pickups album or some shit, it would've fared a lil better.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #43
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
How about The Flaming Lips? A string of stellar albums from the late '90s through the late '00s (I'll go to bat for Embyonic) but then just a slew of cringey bullshit nobody asked for (Heady Fwends? Just the title puts me into a fit of rage).

Also, I want to punch Wayne Coyne harder than any other '90s rocker at this point.
Wayne has no issue moving any of his outrageously expensive limited editions and people still turn out to see them in droves.

Remember we are talking about a man here who has some of the biggest selling albums in history and couldn't even sell 50k of his last album.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:38 PM   #44
Rider
Minion of Satan

Oasis probably comes closest.

Noel still moves mountains of albums in the UK though and sells about the same amount of albums as Billy in the US.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:08 PM   #45
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Oasis probably comes closest.

Noel still moves mountains of albums in the UK though and sells about the same amount of albums as Billy in the US.
this is what first came to my mind. but you're right about the fact they still have a level of celebrity that bill lost over a decade ago.

also, neither of those brothers ever put out anything as terrible as bill's last two "albums"

Old 05-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #46
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Today is a special day in my life as it marks the release of my very first solo album 'TheFutureEmbrace'. For over 17 years I have been proud to represent Chicago as an artist through my words and music, and am continually humbled by the undying love that I have been shown from this city as one of its native sons. I'd like to take this moment to address all that is going on in my musical life, from the new album and the current tour, to the future of The Smashing Pumpkins.

I had the opportunity to record 'TheFutureEmbrace' CD here in Chicago, and its embers bear witness to this town's unique soul. I have done my very best to create something fresh and exciting to listen to, and I hope you get the chance to check it out. Having just returned from a tour of Europe, I am now set to play 18 additional dates in North America, beginning tomorrow in Atlanta. After that we head to Japan, and then Australia and New Zealand for the first time since 1998.

'TheFutureEmbrace' is an album of hope, and represents fully my desire to make music to stand and to fight for. Encouraged by the musical progress of the record, I have already begun writing new songs for a subsequent solo album I hope to start by the end of this year. Plans are still in the works to finish my 'ChicagoSongs' DVD, a group of songs about the city. I'm also in the process of writing my life story on-line, updated almost daily and not so ironically entitled 'The Confessions of Billy Corgan'. It truly has been a creative time for me, with many new revelations.

Many have assumed that the decisions I have made over the last few years have been to try to get away from something. But what I have been really trying to do is find that same kid again, the one who believed he could change the world with a song. There is an old saying that goes "you can't go home again," but I believe that your home is wherever your heart lies.

When I played the final Smashing Pumpkins show on the night of December 2, 2000, I walked off the Metro stage believing that I was forever leaving a place of my life behind. I naively tried to start a new band, but found that my heart wasn't in it. I moved away to pursue a love that I once had but got lost. So I moved back home to heal what was broken in me, and to my surprise I found what I was looking for. I found that my heart is in Chicago, and that my heart is in The Smashing Pumpkins.

For a year now I have walked around with a secret, a secret I chose to keep. But now I want you to be among the first to know what I have made plans to renew and revive The Smashing Pumpkins. I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams. In this desire I feel I have come home again.

'TheFutureEmbrace' represents a new beginning, not an ending. It picks up the thread of the as-yet-unfinished work and charter of The Smashing Pumpkins. I know this city gave me the gift of music, and it is my honor to share this love that I have with you from the bottom of my heart. There is still so much work to do, and as always, so little time!

Rock on and may God bless you!
Billy Corgan

BillyCorgan.com
SmashingPumpkins.com
mySpace.com/BillyCorgan

Old 05-11-2017, 07:11 PM   #47
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

But now I want you to be among the first to know what I have made plans to renew and revive The Smashing Pumpkins. I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams. In this desire I feel I have come home again.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:15 PM   #48
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

https://myspace.com/billycorgan

Old 05-11-2017, 07:28 PM   #49
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Hootie has had a series of gold country albums so nope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darius...cography#2010s

Did I stutter
Did I say Darius Rucker?

My dear fucker?

Old 05-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #50
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Did I stutter
Did I say Darius Rucker?

My dear fucker?
If we are going to count all the band members then Darcy throws the curve so far off even Tesla beats them and the lead singer of Tesla is a bouncer at a dive bar.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:04 PM   #51
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Also bill can only hope to possibly even dream of the multi platinum critically acclaimed adulation poured upon hootie & the blowfish in their prime. Babies are still conceived to "only wanna be with you" whereas the only ppl still fucken to the pumpkins are mentally diseased dickheads like you n me

Old 05-11-2017, 09:23 PM   #52
FoolofaTook

And monte too. I bet you he gets down to some Cherub rock, wearing nothing but glasses amnd black socks (three socks hi ho!) Lathered no slathered in vaseline glistening like an erotic god of mars.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:56 AM   #53
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
this is what first came to my mind. but you're right about the fact they still have a level of celebrity that bill lost over a decade ago.

also, neither of those brothers ever put out anything as terrible as bill's last two "albums"
Idk... Don't Believe the Truth was a pretty righteously bad album. It really showed that the guys in the Oasis clan were completely out of touch with modern music in 2005. Dig Out Your Soul was a better album, but that too was mired with dated musical references.

I was actually kinda glad that the band broke up when it did... kinda wished it'd happened sooner.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #54
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Man, The Future Embrace is a special brand of bland. Every few years I come back to it thinking it'll click with me and it doesn't. Just bor-ing.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:59 AM   #55
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Man, The Future Embrace is a special brand of bland. Every few years I come back to it thinking it'll click with me and it doesn't. Just bor-ing.
Incorrect. I love it.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:13 AM   #56
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Opinions can differ

Old 05-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #57
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Haters gonna hate. But TFE is a great album.

IMO the three most honest records bill has made are

Adore
TFE
Oceania

pretty much every other album he's made is primarily just his take on producing a "successful" alt rock album.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #58
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

in many ways it's the most artistically successful "concept album" he's ever made. While Adore is very different from MCIS and SD it was IMO not terribly consistant. Oceania is an honest album that deals with a particular period of his life. But TFE is purely a concept album with bill himself the focus of that concept, right down to the buck naked album artwork.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #59
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Cambodia View Post
Musically his output could have been worse, sure. But don't forget about hiring a teenage drummer, the ridiculous wrestling shit, Siddhartha, trying to sell garbage photos/postcards/whatever, being an alt-right Alex Jones dumbfuck, dating current nazi and whore Tila Tequila.. Um, am I missing anything?

That you're just another reactionary libtard who must conflate politics into any discussion, something I get accused by the projection artist always accusing others of what they do.

The thing that makes modern day neo-libs so stupid is that they think they're so smart.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #60
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omega Concern View Post
That you're just another reactionary libtard who must conflate politics into any discussion, something I get accused by the projection artist always accusing others of what they do.

The thing that makes modern day neo-libs so stupid is that they think they're so smart.
don't say anything about Alex jones or tila tequila, TOC will hunt you down