Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2002, 07:08 PM   #61
autumnNOCTURNE

Quote:
Originally posted by pale_princess:
oh so you don't like me because of insignificant things when you don't even know me personally... really, get over yourself. oh but just disagreeing and nitpicking everything i say and basing conclusions after meeting me once is really going to make you feel better about yourself.
Say what?

What makes you think that what I'm saying has anything to do with your fabricated notion of my disdain for you?

Don't flatter yourself, I couldn't give two shits about you. I'm not keeping score, but if I had to bet, I'd say I was in disagreement with you about most things we've both entered into discussion about on here -- so what? Anyone who doesn't share your opinion loathes you?

Get over yourself. Honestly. Spend some time away from Netphoria.

Old 02-12-2002, 07:10 PM   #62
pale_princess

it's not a fabricated notion if you're petty enough to bring up something completely irrelevant as a personal attack on me when the point at hand is missed.

Old 02-12-2002, 07:13 PM   #63
autumnNOCTURNE

Quote:
it's not a fabricated notion if you're petty enough to bring up something completely irrelevant as a personal attack on me when the point at hand is missed.
Okay. I hate you. Happy?

Now, back to my POINT: You could be emotional about THAT, but you can't understand how something of this magnitude would cause the skaters and their fans upset.

Makes sense to me.
You've clearly won this argument. Silver medal for you (because it's prettier).

Old 02-12-2002, 07:15 PM   #64
pale_princess

Thumbs down

it's all about being NINETEEN and thinking selfishly at the time.

oo! people fucking change!

not to you though... nopenopenope...

Old 02-12-2002, 07:15 PM   #65
ZERO

i just saw it on CBC, it was rad. if only i could see that russian performance. but in all honesty, that run was so serene and just went by so smoothly.

emm. yeh.

Old 02-12-2002, 07:19 PM   #66
autumnNOCTURNE

Quote:
it's all about being NINETEEN
You're right.
You've clearly matured so much since then. You're quite the big girl, now.

(By the way, I don't see how you'd construe a simple observation as a "personal attack." You're STILL missing the point, or perhaps don't wish to concede it.)

Old 02-12-2002, 07:20 PM   #67
pale_princess

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by autumnNOCTURNE:
You're right.
You've clearly matured so much since then. You're quite the big girl, now.
well you obviously know, since you know me oh so personally.

Old 02-12-2002, 07:25 PM   #68
autumnNOCTURNE

Quote:
well you obviously know, since you know me oh so personally.
Quote:
You're STILL missing the point, or perhaps don't wish to concede it.

Old 02-12-2002, 07:27 PM   #69
pale_princess

Angry

Quote:
fine.
the point is they had no mistakes.
obviously there was some bribing going on.
with all the media attention that is going on, it gives pelletier and that jamie chick a lot of noteriety (sp?). they're investigating this, and will probably hand canada over the gold medal. thus, controversy working in their favour.

Old 02-12-2002, 07:29 PM   #70
Graveflower

Thumbs down

autumnNOCTURNE sucks ass. He gives you other Canucks a bad name.

Old 02-12-2002, 07:31 PM   #71
autumnNOCTURNE

Quote:
fine.
the point is they had no mistakes.
That wasn't MY point. But let's move on.

Quote:
obviously there was some bribing going on.
I think the reasons are more innocent than that. I'm thinking along the lines of over/under compensation in terms of what some judges were expecting the outcome to be.

Quote:
and will probably hand canada over the gold medal. thus, controversy working in their favour.
I find that possibility highly unlikely.

I think we can agree on one thing, though: it must suck to be the Russians right now having their win cast aside like that. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes. If they feel they deserved it (which they may or may not), I'd bet they're furious.

Old 02-12-2002, 07:33 PM   #72
autumnNOCTURNE

Quote:
Originally posted by Graveflower:
I'm like Netphoria's Gold medal!

Thanks, fuckwit!

Old 02-12-2002, 07:35 PM   #73
meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Graveflower:
http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif

Old 02-12-2002, 07:35 PM   #74
pale_princess

silver's a great accomplishment in my books. i'd be proud just to have my kid qualifying for the olympics.
the whole argument really is as futile as gore vs. dubya was last year, really.

but i digress. that was a poor example of the "don't cry over silver" argument.
remember in 88 how happy everyone was that liz manley won silver? gah.

Old 02-12-2002, 08:01 PM   #75
Eulogy

Thumbs down

wow

Old 02-12-2002, 08:07 PM   #76
autumnNOCTURNE

Sale and Pelletier will be on Leno tonight.

Now I REALLY feel bad for the Russians.

This has all gotten way out of hand.

Old 02-12-2002, 08:08 PM   #77
pale_princess

Red face

Quote:
Sale and Pelletier will be on Leno tonight.

Now I REALLY feel bad for the Russians.

This has all gotten way out of hand.
whoa.

Old 02-12-2002, 09:05 PM   #78
Injektilo

Quote:
silver's a great accomplishment in my books. i'd be proud just to have my kid qualifying for the olympics.
the whole argument really is as futile as gore vs. dubya was last year, really.

but i digress. that was a poor example of the "don't cry over silver" argument.
remember in 88 how happy everyone was that liz manley won silver? gah.
Jesus... how many times do i have to make this point.
IF THEY DIDN'T DESERVE GOLD, EVERYONE WOULD BE HAPPY WITH SILVER.
but they deserved gold, and they got screwed out of it because of questionable judging. if they have a single competitive bone in thier body, they should be mad about it.
I think they're taking it better than most of the media to be honest, but I think the media is also amplifying it because they want a good controversy.

Old 02-12-2002, 09:23 PM   #79
smiling politely

Quote:
Originally posted by Injektilo:
Jesus... how many times do i have to make this point.
IF THEY DIDN'T DESERVE GOLD, EVERYONE WOULD BE HAPPY WITH SILVER.
but they deserved gold, and they got screwed out of it because of questionable judging.
Yes. And if you personally feel that the Russians actually were better, that's fine. 16,000 people in the audience, nearly everyone watching on television, TV commentators from Canadian, American, British, and other international stations, figure skating experts and analysts, and (seemingly) the gold medalists themselves disagree with you.

Old 02-12-2002, 09:27 PM   #80
ZERO

Quote:
Originally posted by smiling politely:
..and (seemingly) the gold medalists themselves disagree with you.
???

Old 02-12-2002, 09:38 PM   #81
smiling politely

Smile

Ah, I just threw that in for effect. I don't know if that's true or not, really. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/redface.gif

The rest is, though.

Old 02-12-2002, 09:40 PM   #82
ZERO

Talking

heheeeee

Old 02-12-2002, 10:09 PM   #83
Samsa

the only reason the audience liked the canadian's performance better was because to americans, canadian = american.

that's all it was. you cheer for the home-town team. heh. i'm real tired but i'm vaary tempted to stay up and watch them on leno. they talk like freaks. man.

and yeah. canadians are the only people i consistently root against. i don't know what it is???

Old 02-12-2002, 10:35 PM   #84
autumnNOCTURNE

Quote:
Originally posted by Samsa:
the only reason the audience liked the canadian's performance better was because to americans, canadian = american.
You've got to be kidding.

That's the stupidest theory I've ever heard.

Old 02-13-2002, 12:02 AM   #85
The exploding boy

Red face

Quote:
don't be a dumbass.

Everyone worldwide agree we should have won.

And yeah about canadian gold medallists and controversy. I was actually talking about this to someone earlier. You forgot frechette. How she got a silver medal because of an ADMITTED error from a judge. They gave her her gold medal later though. But i think it was just symbolic.

Old 02-13-2002, 12:12 AM   #86
raindrops + sunshowers

Talking

This thread cracks me up. You all are arguing as if you know a second thing about figure skating besides what they tell you during the Olympic coverage, and maybe national and world championships.

However, one thing tweedy said has been ignored that is factual: the judging isn't based on subjective emotion but on objective technical ability and the presentation of a performance THROUGH how well somebody performs technically. Thus rendering Shaunna's entire argument in favor of the Russians moot.

The funny thing is, if it weren't the Olympics, nobody would care.

Old 02-13-2002, 12:19 AM   #87
ZERO

Thumbs down

Quote:

that's all it was. you cheer for the home-town team. heh. i'm real tired but i'm vaary tempted to stay up and watch them on leno. they talk like freaks. man.

and yeah. canadians are the only people i consistently root against. i don't know what it is???

Old 02-13-2002, 12:25 AM   #88
Injektilo

Quote:
Originally posted by raindrops + sunshowers:

However, one thing tweedy said has been ignored that is factual: the judging isn't based on subjective emotion but on objective technical ability and the presentation of a performance THROUGH how well somebody performs technically. Thus rendering Shaunna's entire argument in favor of the Russians moot.

Exactly. You don't judge based on your personal reaction to each routine.

as for the second point... well no shit.

Old 02-13-2002, 12:26 AM   #89
autumnNOCTURNE

Quote:
Originally posted by raindrops + sunshowers:
This thread cracks me up. You all are arguing as if you know a second thing about figure skating besides what they tell you during the Olympic coverage, and maybe national and world championships.
Well, all the real experts are saying what we're saying, so I don't see your point. We have national pride, we're cheering for those representing our country -- that's the essence of it -- you don't need to be an "expert" in the sport to cheer your country on. You don't even need to be an expert in the sport to know that they should've won Gold because there were glaring mistakes in the Russians' performance. What am I missing?

Quote:
Case in point.
We've all been saying that.

Quote:
OBVIOUSLY.
If they were skating in their backyards, it would be inconsequential, wouldn't it?
What are you trying to say here?

The Olympics are important to some people -- a lot of people -- that's why we care.

Old 02-13-2002, 12:34 AM   #90
MisterSquishyHalo

Thumbs up

Heh.

All I keep on seeing is silver looks better than gold.

This isnt a fucking fashion contest. Gold=your the best. The canadians were the best, why? cause they didnt fuck up. The russians missed on at least 2 landings. That should have been the end of the story right there. Why else do you think that the ISU is going to do a investigation. Because of possiable Block Voting Thats where basically everyone votes according to the original cold war blocks, although France threw everyone off by voting for the russians as well.

Everyone who enters in the Olympics is there for one reason, and one reason only, To win the gold, everything else is secondary.

When you train and train for 4 years, for one night of glory, and having that glory, and then having it taken away by some biased judges, then yes, I too would piss and moan.

Its all about being competitive folks, if your not competitive, you wont be in the olympics.

------------------
livejournal

ottorogers.com

That's a School?

Where are all the damn Dennys!