Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 09-20-2018, 04:05 PM   #31
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
really hate that old roseanne shows have been ruined forever now

sucks to learn someone you thought you liked was actually pretty awful. rip
I dunno...

The thing with Roseanne, if you've ever enjoyed her stuff, you were already compartmentalizing. A racist tweet is nothing against falsely accusing your family of molesting you or treating your writing staff like scum. She was always a shithead, but age + social media have magnified it.

The revival was good, in spite of her shitty persona. I mean, she was tweeting shit against the Parkland survivors, and Disney did nothing. It took a fucking Planet of the Apes remark to sink that ship. Makes no sense.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:13 PM   #32
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

she also supported obama, no? I think she's just a crazy asshole

Old 09-20-2018, 05:29 PM   #33
D.
Consume my pants.

I think Roseanne flew under the radar for so long, at least to me, is because her show was pretty progressive for the time - the show tackled a lot of heavy topics and her acceptance of LGBT, black characters, "stickin' it to the man" etc only bolstered that.

I didn't really follow her after the show ended but she never stuck out as one way or the other so maybe that's my fault for not paying attention.

It's not a great loss. If you watch the old show, it's not like you're financially supporting her. I have the show burned on dvd so

Old 09-20-2018, 05:35 PM   #34
redbreegull

I mean it's whatever, half of us paid money to Billy "SJWs are the same as the KKK" Corgan in order to catch a glimpse of James Iha

Old 09-20-2018, 05:36 PM   #35
D.
Consume my pants.

Yeah, that's true. We can't boycott everything.

I wasn't able to go to the H town date but if I could have afforded it, i would have liked to have gone

Old 09-20-2018, 11:35 PM   #36
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
I mean, when King of the Hill is on the table, all other options seem irrelevant.

That and Futurama.
yes. but boondocks is better than both of those.

can't wait for season three of black jesus. the actor that played vic died tho. rip vic.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:37 PM   #37
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Yeah, Charlie Murphy.

Harvey Birdman is also coming back (for a half hour special).

Life is good.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:40 PM   #38
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
yes. but boondocks is better than both of those.

can't wait for season three of black jesus. the actor that played vic died tho. rip vic.
I could not get into Boondocks. I wanted to and tried and it seems right up my alley but that shit was grating on me after a few episodes.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:43 PM   #39
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
I remember watching the original AD a few years ago and once it was over i never felt the need to revisit it at all.

There are a few funny scenes that pop into my head, most notably the chicken dance thing. And when the matriarch said "here's some money, go buy a star war or something".
AD is a gag a minute, at least...what about “There’s always money in the banana stand”, or Gob’s Steve Holt smear campaign video that ends with George Michael in the garage...

Old 09-20-2018, 11:45 PM   #40
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Shame about the Netflix era, though...

Old 09-20-2018, 11:47 PM   #41
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Frasier is still pretty funny, yeah. I dunno if you guys ever watched Cheers, but it seems horribly dated now.

Lost is still a pretty impressive show to me in some ways, especially the first 2-3 seasons. The work put into the pilot episode was crazy. BTW, did you know that a lot of the sound fx and even some of the instrumental noises in the "theme song" were done on scrap parts from the airplane they used? I enjoyed it all at the time, but in hindsight the show loses itself in its own ridiculousness after a few seasons and becomes more of a niche science fiction show, whereas earlier they did a lot to make it feel universal like touching on social issues, current events, and playing up the multicultural aspect of the survivors' identities
Yeah we’re at the start of the second season...so it’s beginning to lose itself already, but there’s still a slim hope of resolution...

I used to love Cheers as a kid, so I guess I’ll be sad to watch it, now. I haven’t been presented with the opportunity yet...

Old 09-20-2018, 11:47 PM   #42
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Shame about the Netflix era, though...
I'm gonna check the new W&G after getting through the original. I'm on like season 5 already because i don't have a job.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:49 PM   #43
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

BoJack Horseman

Just sayin'. I love BoJack Horseman.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:50 PM   #44
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post

Lost is still a pretty impressive show to me in some ways, especially the first 2-3 seasons. The work put into the pilot episode was crazy. BTW, did you know that a lot of the sound fx and even some of the instrumental noises in the "theme song" were done on scrap parts from the airplane they used? I enjoyed it all at the time, but in hindsight the show loses itself in its own ridiculousness after a few seasons and becomes more of a niche science fiction show, whereas earlier they did a lot to make it feel universal like touching on social issues, current events, and playing up the multicultural aspect of the survivors' identities.
I had a friend who posted on her LiveJournal insanely detailed plot conspiracies and analysis after every episode. I admired her absolute detail - the posts were always like 6 paragraphs with pictures and diagrams.

I think i only watched the first ep when it aired but forgot about it right after. Any show like that, where I'd have to wait a week to pull clues together and remember names and faces and plots (esp in the late 90s when i still had dial up i think) was 100% not my thing

Old 09-21-2018, 08:31 AM   #45
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
I could not get into Boondocks. I wanted to and tried and it seems right up my alley but that shit was grating on me after a few episodes.
oh man i love boondocks. its up there with king of the hill for me.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:39 AM   #46
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

I'm currently working my way through a rewatch of 30 Rock (an episode or two before bed). I'm getting to the end of season two, and I must say it is aging rather nicely. In fact, I'd say this show is ageless.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:59 AM   #47
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Anybody hear that Mike Judge has been contemplating bringing King of the Hill back? Says that he thinks that the Hills might have something to say in the whole Trump era.

I can kind of see it. The character of Buck Strickland is pretty much Donald Trump. And then the relationship Hank has with Strickland seems pretty similar to that some conservatives have with Trump. Hank weirdly admires Strickland, and is so naïve that he looks past all of Strickland's qualities that are diametrically opposed to Hank's values. Hank has little flashes of realizing that Strickland is just a terrible person, but he usually reverts back to supporting him. It's only in the later seasons that Hank seems less eager to tolerate Strickland's shit.

Hank was a solid Bush supporter, but his faith waivered when Dubblya had a limp handshake. What would Hank think of a Republican from (BWAHH) New York?

Old 09-21-2018, 03:42 PM   #48
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Part of me thinks, no, please leave KOTH alone. But then I remember that the Beavis & Butt-Head revival was somehow even better than the original run and I want to say, in Judge I trust.

Either way, if he does it, I will definitely watch. But I'd rather creators create new things than keep going back to the well.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:55 PM   #49
FoolofaTook

Cool post Discount King.

You guys seen Office Space? Pretty neat Judge film.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:50 PM   #50
D.
Consume my pants.

I'm always afraid of reboots because I'm afraid it's essentially going to be the same show but shoehorned with updated "modern problems".

Old 09-22-2018, 03:54 PM   #51
FoolofaTook

the new arrested development sucks

Old 09-22-2018, 06:31 PM   #52
buzzard
Minion of Satan

It really, really does.

Old 09-22-2018, 06:39 PM   #53
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Hi, welcome to five years ago!

Old 09-22-2018, 08:19 PM   #54
buzzard
Minion of Satan

May 2018 was five years ago?

Old 09-23-2018, 12:15 PM   #55
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

No, but May of 2013 (when the show came back) was.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #56
FoolofaTook

5 years behind isn't bad considering that i am usually 15 years out of date.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:36 PM   #57
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Did you mean to refer to the new Arrested Development episodes released in May 2018 or to the not-as-new episodes of May 2013?

(all the abovementioned were shit)

Old 09-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #58
FoolofaTook

For once we agree (or twice if you count Sleep). The original three seasons are fine. Everything after blows, well, you know, cthulhic dong.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:54 PM   #59
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
For once we agree (or twice if you count Sleep).
Life is full of coincidences.