Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #151
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
... It just seems like he's desperate to suck Trotskies dick,
Right, with the sleater Kinney and nas worship lol.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:27 PM   #152
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
Also, I let this slide but while Corgan came from a certainly broken home, both him and Kurt are incredibly suburban and it's like the whole point of 90's rock.

Listen to any interview about SD from that time and what he says is it's about being a suburban middle class Chicago kid.
Billy has always referred to himself and the band as lower middle class/working class. James was the only one who came from a truly middle class home.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #153
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Also, angry Blur fan guy. The only two good Blur albums were the s/t one where they tried to sound like American bands and 13 where they went all shoegaze and Radiohead. The rest of their albums were far too 'British' sounding with all that ranting about Ronnie Cray and Parklife in a really annoying British accent. No thanks.

Suede was the best Britpop band btw, not Blur. Sci-Fi Lullabies has some incredible songs.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #154
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Paul and Daniel from Interpol came from privileged / wealthy backgrounds. Interpol are one of the best bands of the last 15 years.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #155
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

y'all got it wrong. Pulp or gtfo.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #156
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

nowadays it would take less time listing artists not from privileged background than those who are, I mean like new bands 2000 and on. It's become the norm it seems to me.

Like houseofglass the only issue i have with this is there's a lot of artists out there who have got the exposure without deserving it.

Otherwise i mean it's nothing new.

I mean Joe Strummer, a punk icon if there ever is one, was from a wealthy background but he didn't act like to, sound like it and certainly The Clash was deserving of the success they got. I also don't think the opportunities they got had anything to do with strummer's background. He kinda didnt like people to know snd pretty much turned his back on it.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #157
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
Paul and Daniel from Interpol came from privileged / wealthy backgrounds. Interpol are one of the best bands of the last 15 years.
I've met those guys too and there were pompous dicks, especially Carlos D. They make Billy look downright humble.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:59 PM   #158
T_C
Amish Rake Fighter

One thing is a musician/actor/model that comes from a non-poor/working class familiy, a family with enough money to pay for a good education in college and that kind of stuff, and a very differente thing is a musician/actor/model that comes from a family of fucking billionaires that can buy you a career in the music/film/fashion industry.

I don't mean that the son/daughter of a billionaire can't be talented, but it's not the same to become a famous rockstar after having toured for years in clubs or opening for bigger bands than just having your dad buying you a career from day one.

If a musician has gone to the best colleges and had a comfortable childhood, I'm not going to think that he is less talented than a guy from a poor family who had a hard childhood/youth, but that's not the same than having a filthy rich family who can pay whatever is necessary to make you famous.

I'm not saying this for The Strokes, I don't know much about them, except that they are not better than Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, STP, Radiohead or Nirvana, that's for sure, and I don't dislike them or their music, but no way they are better than those bands from the 90s.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:03 PM   #159
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Out of all the Britpop bands I liked the Verve the best. They were very working class. It was very apparent with their lyrics.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #160
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Verve wasn't Britpop at all. They were psych-rock/shoegaze to begin with. GREAT band. Better than most of the bands mentioned in this thread in the past few pages.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #161
Catherine Wheel
Banned

They didn't start out Britpop but by the third record they definitely were. You can even hear it a little on the second album. But it didn't become their dominant sound until the third one.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #162
Shallowed
Braindead

Thread turned to utter shit because everyone gives a fuck about what music Elphenor likes and dislikes and has to circlejerk about their "superior" tastes

once again

Last edited by Shallowed : 12-21-2014 at 05:13 PM.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:32 PM   #163
slunken
Virgo

speaking of privilege and blur:

Damon Albarns dad was a rock and roll manager and i guess when Damon was little he would sit at the feet of Robert Wyatt (drummer for soft machine) during their rehearsals and fingerpaint

Old 12-21-2014, 05:45 PM   #164
Shallowed
Braindead

Slowdive were inundated with criticism for being rich kid brats and now they're one of the cornerstones of shoegaze.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #165
brutechinasky
Demi-God

Genesis also were quite wealthy

Old 12-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #166
pumpkinfan1988
Pledge

I greatly disagree with the OP. The interview sounds like someone just speaking their mind. I actually agree with a lot of what was said. Most music right now is kind of a joke, there really isn't as many talented artists as there used to be. I would speculate though it has A LOT to do with the economy. Now that the economy is finally starting to improve I think you start to see an upswing in musical talent. Rock music isn't dead its seed is simply lying dormant.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #167
Lt_Beans_McGood
Banned

I'm just here to say The Strokes and Franz Ferdinand were great. These bands never claimed to be revolutionary or punk rock. I do remember the media really sucking the Strokes dick but they never really took off. I'm sad they didn't, because they would have been better at carrying the torch than the Nickleback type bands.

Also, Smashing Pumpkins are really good IMO but not the kind of band I would expect to harbor such elitist fans, since they were made by MTV/Radio.

I'm 31 years old fwiw.

Also, somebody brought The Offspring into the 90's rock discussion... LOL shit sucks.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #168
Lt_Beans_McGood
Banned

DELETE FROM NET

Last edited by Lt_Beans_McGood : 12-21-2014 at 08:32 PM. Reason: double post

Old 12-21-2014, 08:19 PM   #169
Lt_Beans_McGood
Banned

MI FAVERITE BAND IS THE OFSPRING YOU STUPID DUMB SHIT GOD DAMN MOTHERFUKER?

Old 12-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #170
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinfan1988 View Post
Most music right now is kind of a joke, there really isn't as many talented artists as there used to be. I would speculate though it has A LOT to do with the economy. Now that the economy is finally starting to improve I think you start to see an upswing in musical talent.
What the fuck are you going on about? How the fuck does someone even come to this ridiculous conclusion?

Old 12-21-2014, 09:03 PM   #171
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

because people just get stuck in their ways and don't want to explore anything because they don't want to be associated with a certain demographic

probably someone who says they listen to "everything" but they basically like anything that was popular before an arbitrarily defined mendoza line where Music Started to Suck be it 1997 or 2003

Old 12-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #172
Elphenor
Braindead

I was like that until I, ironically, matured a little

Old 12-21-2014, 10:19 PM   #173
Shallowed
Braindead

There has always been people moaning about how music from the last ten years or so isn't as good as the previous ten years.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:26 PM   #174
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

IT'S THE CIRCLE OF LIFE

Old 12-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #175
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

I never could get into parklife. I do like s/t and 13.

you can make a great oasis mix cd.

Urban Hymns is a great album.

Julian Casablancas solo stuff is kind of interesting. I also like that song he was featured on Random Access Memories.

my morning jacket are the best band in the last 15 or so years.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:23 PM   #176
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
There has always been people moaning about how music from the last ten years or so isn't as good as the previous ten years.
The tired old 'music these days is a joke' or 'there are no more good bands' memes were bad enough but to somehow correlate the notion that a 'good economy = better musicians and music/art' is asinine.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:43 PM   #177
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wounded View Post

my morning jacket are the best band in the last 15 or so years.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:44 PM   #178
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I honestly think Elphs into the cool 90's bands... It just seems like he's desperate to suck Trotskies dick,
you "suck my dick" all the fucking time you jack off

Old 12-21-2014, 11:45 PM   #179
Trotskilicious
Banned

"i enjoy your writings" and etc

Old 12-21-2014, 11:49 PM   #180
Shallowed
Braindead

but at least you don't rip him apart for no reason