Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 06-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #121
T&T
Socialphobic

never noticed billy having an OR80 & a graphic orange head. no wonder he sold the or80.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #122
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendo_91 View Post
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...7/Dat_Tape.png

Old 06-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #123
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post

Lovin Matt's energy and natural feel/interpretation of the songs. Such a fortunate match, he and the Pumpkins, albeit short-lived.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #124
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Yeah that is a fucking sick performance

Old 06-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #125
cookieshoes
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteLDS View Post
Deluxe Edition Live CD:
CD6: Live Inside the Dark Globe

1. Where Boys Fear To Tread
Cleveland, Ohio 7.3.96
2. Zero
San Francisco, California 2.7.96
3. Fuck You / An Ode To No One
Stockholm, Sweden 4.10.96
4. X.Y.U.
Los Angeles, California 2.3.96
5. To Forgive
Washington, D.C. 1.6.96
6. Thirty-Three
New York City, New York 1.11.96
7. Tonight, Tonight
New York City, New York 1.11.96
8. Lily (My One And Only)
Washington, D.C. 1.5.96
9. Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans
Cleveland, Ohio 7.3.96
10. Jellybelly
Gent, Belgium 4.6.96
11. Bullet With Butterfly Wings
Los Angeles, California 2.3.96
12. By Starlight
Buffalo, New York 7.2.96
13. Bodies
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 7.5.96
14. Silverfuck
Copenhagen, Denmark 4.9.96
This is the surprise of the set for my tastes. Good on Billy (or whoever he tasked with compiling the songs), for releasing this as a bonus disc.

That being said, pretty much every performance on the disc is average at best (I don't think that the 1/11 New York show has circulated before, so I can't speak to those songs). The shows that they come from are indeed good shows, but pretty much none of these individual songs are standout versions. In fact, if you actually listen to these versions using the recordings out there, you'll hear that pretty much all of them have errors of one sort or another. Listen to the botched intro to Jellybelly from the Gent show, Billy missing his cue during the intro to By Starlight from Buffalo, Billy's voice giving out during Bodies, or Billy skipping lyrics or deliberately speaking them instead of singing them in XYU, BWBW, Lilly, and To Forgive. The Silverfuck from Copenhagen is an especially mediocre version. In fact, of all of the versions of that song from the European tour, the one from Copenhagen is up there with being one of the LEAST interesting versions. On top of which, Silverfuck from the European leg was pretty much the same as the Silverfuck from the US tour in June/July, just shorter. And since they already included the final original lineup Silverfuck from 7/10, which has the exact same structure as the one from Copenhagen, the better choice would have been to instead use one of the excellent Silverfucks from Jan/Feb, when the song had a completely different arrangement.

Maybe the available recordings of shows from 1996 weren't as good as the ones from the shows they took these performances from, so they had no choice, but the random selection of these performances of songs makes it seem like they were deliberately selected because they all have performance errors/oddities rather than for being truly standout versions.

And since this bonus disc features versions of MCIS songs as opposed to more versions of TAFH specific b-sides, then why omit Muzzle? Love? Galapogos? Cupid De Locke? Beautiful? We Only Come Out at Night? The two-night stands from Toronto and San Diego alone could've supplied killer versions of pretty much all of the songs that they included on the bonus disc here, including the rarer MCIS songs that didn't get played as much. And yet songs from either of those sets of shows are completely absent. They should've just released a composite of the highlights from the club tour, featuring the acoustic and electric sets as they were performed. That's what should've been included with the MCIS reissue, just as a full show from the Double Door should've been included for the TAFH reissue. The way it is now, the reissues for these two sets have their bonus disc content switched.

Again, this disc will be great to have/hear, but it's another one of those "it could've been so much better" deals.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #126
Ram27
dumb

Why are they reissuing a boxset of B sides?

...unless there's a full past-ich-io medley.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #127
sjpaterra
Ownz

it's pretty insane that the vinyl edition will ******* all those extra tracks... Im more excited about the vinyl than i am about any of the extra tracks... but shit, that's $300... at least amazon dropped the ball for MCIS and i got the vinyl for $30, if not less

Old 06-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #128
Corganist
Minion of Satan

This is about as good a tracklist as anyone could have expected. Part of me is trying to be a little bummed about some of the Gravity Demos on there being ones that have been in circulation forever, but I'm going to hold off until we hear it. It seemed like the MCIS reissue had a lot of things on it that sounded like they were things we already had, but weren't. Maybe there'll be some pleasant surprises.

I'm particularly thrilled about the DVD. Summer 1997 is my favorite live era from any incarnation of the band.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #129
vajohna
Ownz

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Watching this old footage just bums me out now. So good.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #130
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieshoes View Post
it could've been so much better
That's the band's motto.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #131
Starla

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
have internet, will download
exactly

Old 06-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #132
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corganist View Post
This is about as good a tracklist as anyone could have expected. Part of me is trying to be a little bummed about some of the Gravity Demos on there being ones that have been in circulation forever, but I'm going to hold off until we hear it. It seemed like the MCIS reissue had a lot of things on it that sounded like they were things we already had, but weren't. Maybe there'll be some pleasant surprises.

I'm particularly thrilled about the DVD. Summer 1997 is my favorite live era from any incarnation of the band.
i feel like you haven't been here in forever and then i check and you post about once a month.

current thoughts on the billy corgan experience, this box set aside?

Old 06-06-2013, 12:47 AM   #133
slunken
Virgo

has the number of pressings of the vinyl reissues (particularly this one and the mcis) ever been confirmed?

Old 06-06-2013, 01:12 AM   #134
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpaterra View Post
it's pretty insane that the vinyl edition will ******* all those extra tracks... Im more excited about the vinyl than i am about any of the extra tracks... but shit, that's $300... at least amazon dropped the ball for MCIS and i got the vinyl for $30, if not less
there's no way the vinyl version is going to ******* all those bonus tracks.
the vinyl version is 5 LP, 12" for each single (only including original tracklist)

Old 06-06-2013, 01:42 AM   #135
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
there's no way the vinyl version is going to ******* all those bonus tracks.
the vinyl version is 5 LP, 12" for each single (only including original tracklist)
agree. this is still extremely tempting.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #136
Beta
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corganist View Post
It seemed like the MCIS reissue had a lot of things on it that sounded like they were things we already had, but weren't.
which songs are you talking about? i am just curious, because i dont have the MCIS reissue (yet).

Old 06-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #137
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Ehh this thing is a mess. We get Gravity Demos, part of one DD show, and a Live album. They should have just added another disk to MCIS box and put out a live set.

I always wished TAFH had just be a two disk set rather then a bunch of clunky singles. Now we just have another huge set of disks that have stuff randomly added to them. Could be a nice set but splitting it up like singles again is a mistake IMHO.

Also looking at the pics the box looks really cheap and shitty.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #138
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Notes Corgan in the 46-page book: "What I like about 'The Aeroplane Flies High' is that it's almost the existential backwater of the 'Mellon Collie' album," Corgan says today. "Listening to the music gathered here is a little bit like seeing what goes on behind the walls of Disneyland. I've always been fascinated with places that are very well constructed, and finding out what's really going on just over the fence. You look over that gate and notice that things on the other side are not well painted — or maybe you spot that guy dressed as some character sneaking a smoke on his break. At least for me, the behind the scenes feel heard on 'The Aeroplane Flies High' represents something revealing not found on the main album. In retrospect, it's a nice document of how we arrived at the apex of 'Mellon Collie' — and also what standing on that apex did to us personally."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.asp...sitemID=190907

Old 06-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #139
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I always wished TAFH had just be a two disk set rather then a bunch of clunky singles. Now we just have another huge set of disks that have stuff randomly added to them. Could be a nice set but splitting it up like singles again is a mistake IMHO.
Agreed. The more discs it has, the more they can charge for it. Even though the extra cd production is relatively inexpensive.

Still, if this is what it takes to get the new material, so be it. I'm sure the Grav demos will be worked on from the leaks we have. I sort of hope instrumentals like Infinite Sadness and Jackboot have been cut short, as even with a nice new mix they just loop, pretty much.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #140
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Who what where when?

Old 06-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #141
MonteLDS
*sigh*

Quote:
it won't included all the bonus tracks, it is just going be the original 33. With PM having "fades"

the bonus tracks are only for the deluxe edition

Old 06-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #142
adamdanger!
Pledge

The vinyl is only the original tracklist. On the official site it notes that the bonus songs are on the Deluxe Box set. Also, the vinyls up on amazon for $145. To quote myself, "Fuck that."

Old 06-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #143
Shallowed
Braindead

Fuck you, Monte

Old 06-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #144
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

yeah, fuck you in the ear, monty.

what's with the quotation marks around fades? what's the fucking point of that? what do you mean?

Old 06-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #145
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

FUCK YOU MONTE

Old 06-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #146
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

DROP DEAD YOU FUKC

Old 06-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #147
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
yeah, fuck you in the ear, monty.

what's with the quotation marks around fades? what's the fucking point of that? what do you mean?
It's says "Dallas."

Old 06-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #148
Elvis The Fat Years
007 373 5963

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
here's the silverfuck in question: http://archive.org/details/tsp1996-07-10.flac16

39 minutes. iirc this is the third longest version
the end of that is this right?....

does the song have a name?

Old 06-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #149
adamdanger!
Pledge

"It won't included"

Old 06-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #150
Shallowed
Braindead

Very Spacemen 3 like