Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2017, 04:17 PM   #1
strtj
Pledge

Default 1996.01.06 Video?

I just found a VHS copy of the 1996.01.06 video tucked away in a box. It's not a great copy, but judging by SPLRA and a quick scan of youtube there might not be a decent full transfer floating around. Is it worth my time to transfer it? On one hand I have a nice SVHS deck with a timebase corrector, but on the other hand this is a copy of a copy of a copy (with cheesy bootleg art!) that I paid some scummy dude at a record fair way too much money for in 1997 or 1998.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:04 PM   #2
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by strtj View Post
Is it worth my time to transfer it?
Always

Old 05-16-2017, 09:10 PM   #3
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I like your avatar strtj. Tis a noble motto.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:20 PM   #4
strtj
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
Always
OK, I did it. Now what am I supposed to do with 33GB of uncompressed video? I've lost all track of what compression/distribution methods are considered acceptable for video.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:31 AM   #5
marrs-guitar
Demi-God

The circulating version is a double DVD set (1 disc for the acoustic set, 1 for the electric) with this info:

Quote:
SOURCE INFO
VHS tape in very good condition, some video tracking farts in the first 30 seconds, then fine. Video tracking noise on bottom of screen was cropped.
Audio on the VHS was good, clear highs but quite distorted on the right side during the electric set. I dug up the circulated AUD source in which the info claims it's not likely to be from this video source. Actually, it most definitely is from the video (whenever the camera moves, the exact same knocking noises are present on both sources), but oddly I found it to be much faster and higher pitched and with a lot less high-end. As I slowed it down to match the more obvious proper speeds of the VHS, I still had to pitch it down, and then I noticed it had probably gone through considerable noise reduction as that was less obvious at the faster speed. All of this left me with two average and somewhat flawed versions of the same source.
So, I took both versions and created a decent 5.1 mix of the whole thing. It doesn't sound too bad at all for what it is. If you listen on a straight stereo system it'll sound ok but there may be, at times, slight phasing of the two identical sources. My tests of 2-track downmixes sounded nice, but it definitely will sound best on a 5.1 system.
*Video
VHS>SONY HVR-Z1U>Sony Vegas>MainConcept MPG2 (5100k CBR)>DVD
*Audio
VHS>MOTU TRAVELER (16-48)>Sony Vegas>Dolby Digital 5.1