Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 10-26-2018, 04:55 AM   #1
Razor Star
Pledge

Default Fandom is so weird, isn't it?

Screen-Shot-2018-10-26-at-9-55-45-AM
Screen-Shot-2018-10-26-at-9-55-54-AM

Last edited by Razor Star : 10-26-2018 at 10:40 AM.

Old 10-26-2018, 04:56 AM   #2
Razor Star
Pledge

"Here is an extensive interview with my favorite band"
"That's cool! What does it say?"
"Oh.. I'm not going to actually read it"

Old 10-26-2018, 06:07 AM   #3
Kahlo

I'm surprised that there isn't a Billy Corgan action doll yet.

But god, people who wrap everything in plastic so it remains 'mint'. Weirdos.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:24 AM   #4
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

A little over a month ago, my wife and I traveled to Los Angeles, for her to be a part of a Smashing Pumpkins music video. Not only was it a dream come true for Brittany, but when we arrived at the shoot, they needed a few extra people, and I was lucky enough to be one of them. This is the photo we took with Billy Corgan, along with a few other pictures...including one of us with Mark McGrath, from Sugar Ray!

Old 10-26-2018, 07:24 AM   #5
Kahlo

Nothing will eclipse that community online that stalked celebrities and had its own Smashing Pumpkins section. Lowlight: the person who preserved an unflushed turd from a band member.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:17 AM   #6
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Well you can sell those turds for a pretty penny

Shits rough out here gotta do what u gotta to make them ends

Old 10-26-2018, 08:20 AM   #7
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

I used to be very much into keeping things in 'mint' condition when I collected comics and action figures. It's a fucking disease. You start thinking that everything will be worth something one day, like it's a retirement fund, and before you know it you have a closet full of boxes of shit. It gets to the point where you want to have two of everything, one to 'preserve' and one to enjoy.

But just you try selling that stuff later. You realize how hard it is to get the price you want for something; that the 'market value' is decided by a select few lunatics like yourself who suffer from the same disease, and finding someone who'll agree to your price is a nightmare. You're lucky to make a tiny profit most of the time.

Sold all my GI Joes, Star Wars figures, and half my comic collection to fund guitars, bass, amp, pedals. decent speakers, DAW. Never looked back. Best new hobby.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:26 AM   #8
Kahlo

I had the same experience, only I didn't collect toys or comics because that seems completely alien to me. I was obsessive about SP releases, but then I met PROPER collectors (hi Coolasicecream) who took it to a whole new level, and realised that I wasn't that insane.

Also, the book Goodbye, Things: On Minimalist Living by Fumio Sasaki is worth reading if you are an obsessive hoarder.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:34 AM   #9
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

It comes from a childhood of poverty and escapism. Comics and cartoons were my world and I only had a select few toys. I guess when I got older I wanted to compensate for what I never had.

Opposite side of the fence; I never understood needing to own multiple versions of a music release, I would just pick up whatever version had bonus tracks not present elsewhere and kind of filled in the blanks with singles for B-sides. Closest I ever got was having a full set of NIN Halos.

But this is coming from a guy who owns several different versions of three characters named Starscream, Thundercracker and Skywarp that are all exactly the same toy barring different colors and names (being into the fiction where they have distinct personalities does not help).

I will check that out, thanks.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:02 AM   #10
Razor Star
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
It comes from a childhood of poverty and escapism. Comics and cartoons were my world and I only had a select few toys. I guess when I got older I wanted to compensate for what I never had.
)
I can *so* relate to this actually. I remember arguing with my Mum about being a MASK toy when I was about 10 in a toyshop in Leicester, and her going "when you're older you can buy all the toys you want but we can't afford this". And I remember arguing back "But I won't WANT MASK TOYS WHEN I'M OLDER". But actually I think something of that must have sunk in... "when I can afford things, I am damn well going to let myself have them.

I guess my point was, what's the point of buying something and not enjoying it at all? That seems super weird to me. Two copies, one for best, one for use- I get that (even though magazines, even in mint condition aren't that valuable even 20 years later). This person didn't even buy the magazine to read it.

Incidentally, I would *absolutely* like some MASK toys. I am 37.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:57 AM   #11
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo View Post
I'm surprised that there isn't a Billy Corgan action doll yet.

But god, people who wrap everything in plastic so it remains 'mint'. Weirdos.
I remember when they played Cash Car Star on The Tonight Show right before the band broke up, Jay Leno gave Billy a little action figure of himself. It was around the time that Todd McFarlane (I think) was making all these action figures of famous rock stars like Ozzy and Kiss. I must admit, I looked for that Billy figure whenever I went into a Spencer Gifts back then and totally would have bought one.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:11 AM   #12
FoolofaTook

ok

Old 10-26-2018, 10:12 AM   #13
FoolofaTook

do you have any roast-beef sandwiches?

Old 10-26-2018, 10:14 AM   #14
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...88918_2774.jpg

Old 10-26-2018, 10:16 AM   #15
FoolofaTook

is that a light house in the distance?

Old 10-26-2018, 10:17 AM   #16
FoolofaTook

that reminds me of the immortal line from high on fire's "the falconist"

"i can see a long way off,
like a lighthouse keeper"

Old 10-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #17
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Yeah it’s a lighthouse where one can’t imagine the unfathomable love and beauty inside

Old 10-26-2018, 10:21 AM   #18
FoolofaTook

https://i.imgur.com/F2aEjbJ.png

Old 10-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #19
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Lol

Old 10-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #20
Kahlo

BRUTAL.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:43 AM   #21
Razor Star
Pledge

My original post here had a weird link to poetry in it, which I did not put there and has massively confused me. This is the poem. I am a bit weirded out.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:44 AM   #22
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Star View Post
I can *so* relate to this actually. I remember arguing with my Mum about being a MASK toy when I was about 10 in a toyshop in Leicester, and her going "when you're older you can buy all the toys you want but we can't afford this". And I remember arguing back "But I won't WANT MASK TOYS WHEN I'M OLDER". But actually I think something of that must have sunk in... "when I can afford things, I am damn well going to let myself have them.

I guess my point was, what's the point of buying something and not enjoying it at all? That seems super weird to me. Two copies, one for best, one for use- I get that (even though magazines, even in mint condition aren't that valuable even 20 years later). This person didn't even buy the magazine to read it.

Incidentally, I would *absolutely* like some MASK toys. I am 37.

Totally. Those days are behind me.

And I actually had a few MASK figures, from one year when my grandma splurged. I got the red car, green bike, blue 4x4, and the sweet purple corvette with wings. Some fuckwad kid stole them from me two months or so later. ):

Old 10-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #23
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
I remember when they played Cash Car Star on The Tonight Show right before the band broke up, Jay Leno gave Billy a little action figure of himself. It was around the time that Todd McFarlane (I think) was making all these action figures of famous rock stars like Ozzy and Kiss. I must admit, I looked for that Billy figure whenever I went into a Spencer Gifts back then and totally would have bought one.
I would totally buy that Jay Leno action figure if I ever saw it, too.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:16 PM   #24
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
I would totally buy that Jay Leno action figure if I ever saw it, too.
Haha I knew I wasn't the only one!

Old 10-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #25
laradelocke
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post

Can also relate. I have the new edition barbie of agent mulder sitting on my shelf at home (scully is on backorder). I will probably never open them.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:26 PM   #26
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

I collected G.I. Joe and He-Man figures from getting hooked on the cartoons. They all got opened up and played with though so they are in rough shape wherever they are. Probably in someone's attic far away. Baseball cards until I was 11 or 12 and then sold my soul to rock n' roll.

edit: baseball cards, not baseball cars

Last edited by MplsTaper : 10-26-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:28 PM   #27
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah, I had a ton of He-Man, Super Powers and Transformers figures growing up. Had some GI Joes too but they were always so junky and could easily break.

One of the weirdest action figures I had was this one from the movie Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. It was just a Super Powers Green Arrow figure with a repainted body and Kevin Costner's head. LOL

Old 10-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #28
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

#nerdalert

Old 10-26-2018, 02:43 PM   #29
Kahlo

Fucking hell, the state of some of you.

I didn't have action figures as a child, or any kind of toy other than paper and pencil after the age of 5. I didn't feel the need to buy them once I could afford to either.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:52 PM   #30
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Cool

I was a big comic reader as a kid and never threw any of them out, so I had hundreds by the time I stopped

Ended up taking them to a store, getting probably way less than they were worth, and buying art supplies with the money, which seems like something you'd see in a movie that was trying too hard

I still have a bunch from my dad's childhood —*a few would be worth thousands if they hadn't been sitting in a moldy attic for decades; I don't know what to do with them