Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2014, 10:16 PM   #151
Elphenor
Braindead

To be fair, The Cure were my favorite band until I overplayed them and got into The Fall.

Up until Wish, I don't think they had a single bad song or even weak song.

The Baby Screams is the closest they got to a bad song.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:18 PM   #152
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

See i think a good fan can be objective. Otherwise you might as well just rate all their songs a 7 or plus like they were on chain of flowers site. Well when i used to go there like 12 years ago.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #153
Elphenor
Braindead

Actually, I think The Kiss is pretty boring.

But otherwise, yeah, flawless

Old 10-17-2014, 10:22 PM   #154
noyen
Immortal

Robert smith is my idol still. I still like him. I don't think he is a dick or delusional and I don't care if he is fat and balding and hanging on to his youth because I still think he is relevant an amazing songwriter.. And I don't even like recent cure stuff at all. The most recent things I can think of loving are a song for a tribute to john martyr called "small hours". its amazing. And crystal castles stuff was okay. Better than thr deep house shit. But I am a 38 year old teenager.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:23 PM   #155
Elphenor
Braindead

This demo might be my favorite thing by them

Old 10-17-2014, 10:24 PM   #156
noyen
Immortal

hey stick to the fall. your 2 word thoughts on songs suck and you don't get the kiss until you've had acid and hate and love someone so much killing them is a sexual fantasy.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:24 PM   #157
noyen
Immortal

Just stop okay.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:25 PM   #158
Elphenor
Braindead

The Cure need a Rockumentary or a book by one of the members or SOMETHING

I really dig that stuff, the history and everything, and most big bands have some form of additional media to read or watch

Old 10-17-2014, 10:28 PM   #159
noyen
Immortal

they do. just stop though. rockunentary?

Old 10-17-2014, 10:30 PM   #160
Elphenor
Braindead

Oh you're right they do now. Right on

Old 10-17-2014, 10:32 PM   #161
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
hey stick to the fall. your 2 word thoughts on songs suck and you don't get the kiss until you've had acid and hate and love someone so much killing them is a sexual fantasy.
This reminds me that I wonder how Lol felt when Robert was singing Shiver and Shake. did he know it was about him? I mean i don't think he's ever said it was but it seems pretty fucking obvious. Actually what am i saying, he was probably drunk somewhere, busy NOT being in the studio. But when he heard it the first time, wherever that was.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:32 PM   #162
Elphenor
Braindead

Oh wait, this is that garbage that doesn't even have a right to any of the original music nvm

Old 10-17-2014, 10:35 PM   #163
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

oh god do you mean that british tv crap? I saw this on youtube once, well some minutes of it. Fucking awful. The fake tunes meant to sound like the cure songs. Terrible.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:38 PM   #164
noyen
Immortal

Elph, buy the book 10 imaginary years, a visual history and if you want MTV shit there is an MTV icon show as well as a few unauthorized shit bios on YouTube. go to chain of flowers website and read all 15 billion pages. find the articles roger wrote about thr disintegration sessions and wish. there is tons of stuff out there for troop fans.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:39 PM   #165
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

lol
i love it when the producers try and do that
there was this blur audio thing where some guy was just talkin about the band and there was this pseudo-britipop thing that would play in the background that i actually looked forward to every time

the kiss is pretty great though i agree that's a weird one to uh single out what the hellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
This reminds me that I wonder how Lol felt when Robert was singing Shiver and Shake. did he know it was about him? I mean i don't think he's ever said it was but it seems pretty fucking obvious. Actually what am i saying, he was probably drunk somewhere, busy NOT being in the studio. But when he heard it the first time, wherever that was.
i think by that point he would have gotten the message

Old 10-17-2014, 10:39 PM   #166
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Hah a lot was about Lol. Poor guy. I feel bad for him sometimes. He was tortured a lot. I guess they've made their peace and joke about it now but jeez. Talk about humiliation.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:41 PM   #167
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

i don't know too much about it aside from one day he's the drummer and the next he's just sort of holding a trumpet occasionally

Old 10-17-2014, 10:42 PM   #168
noyen
Immortal

Who the fuck is this mals malora person? Why are there dozens of new 20 something idiots here? lol! LOL! Lool.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:42 PM   #169
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

That icon show is ALSO fucking embarrassing. The bands they have..seriously...it's like if that's the people you influenced...but of course they influenced GOOD bands, just not those bad ones.

This reminds me i had an argument with an ex once about how you know she thought The Cure was just lame and in no way as influential as Talking Heads. This was just a handful of years before the post punk/new wave revival too so it was harder for me to find examples even if there were already a lot...

I mean TH is extremely influential too but i'm not sure i can pick which one is most between the two.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:43 PM   #170
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
i don't know too much about it aside from one day he's the drummer and the next he's just sort of holding a trumpet occasionally
LOL SHUT THE FUCK UP WWW.LIVEJOURNAL.COM. GIVE ME A BREAK OH JESUS CHRIST.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:44 PM   #171
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:

the kiss is pretty great though i agree that's a weird one to uh single out what the hellman
Yeah idk, I get why people like it and I've tried but meh

Old 10-17-2014, 10:46 PM   #172
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

gee i really hit a nerve with that lol tolhurst comment didn't i

Old 10-17-2014, 10:47 PM   #173
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
That icon show is ALSO fucking embarrassing. The bands they have..seriously...it's like if that's the people you influenced...but of course they influenced GOOD bands, just not those bad ones.

This reminds me i had an argument with an ex once about how you know she thought The Cure was just lame and in no way as influential as Talking Heads. This was just a handful of years before the post punk/new wave revival too so it was harder for me to find examples even if there were already a lot...

I mean TH is extremely influential too but i'm not sure i can pick which one is most between the two.
The icon thing was terrible. I do like thr deftones cover though. I think its good. The rest cringe. I dont think talking heads were so much influential as they were a collection of influences and better... Like... Blondie. Awful. The cure were equally influenced by tons of things but I think had a much larger cultural impact and fans that created an identity where you can spot cure fans a mile away. just kind of a central common thing to a billion other things.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:49 PM   #174
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
gee i really hit a nerve with that lol tolhurst comment didn't i
What? "Lord, shut up!" is a tolhurst comment? lol'd shut up would have been clever been not as some type of rep quip. calm down there sport, don't get so worked up.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #175
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Hah a lot was about Lol. Poor guy. I feel bad for him sometimes. He was tortured a lot. I guess they've made their peace and joke about it now but jeez. Talk about humiliation.
Yeah i agree. I mean he was useless for some years and actually..most...but...put the guy out of his misery you know. This was a case of standing by your friend for too long. Feeling some sort of sense of loyalty that shouldn't have been there. I mean, Lol COULD have learned to play keyboard properly (not like cure lines are hard) could have learned to be better on drums. He just didn't try, he was too punk for it (well i saw him in like mid 80s interviews saying he still saw himself as punk).... And Smith just drove him MORE into alcohol i'm sure, the way he was handled, the shit he'd say in interviews with him RIGHT THERE. And I think he wouldn't have taken care of it too if the band hadn't given him an ultimatum over it Lol probably would have died.

Last edited by The exploding boy : 10-17-2014 at 11:22 PM.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #176
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
What? "Lord, shut up!" is a tolhurst comment? lol'd shut up would have been clever been not as some type of rep quip. calm down there sport, don't get so worked up.
shit you're right i really should have put more thought into that personal rep comment
your post was douchey so i negged it who cares
aside from you i guess, and your all caps "hissy fit," lol.
take your own advice

Old 10-17-2014, 11:00 PM   #177
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
shit you're right i really should have put more thought into that personal rep comment
your post was douchey so i negged it who cares
aside from you i guess, and your all caps "hissy fit," lol.
take your own advice
you're new here.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:03 PM   #178
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Yeha i agree. I mean he was useless for some years and actually..most...but...put the guy out of his misery you know. This was a case of standing by your friend for too long. Feeling some sort of sense of loyalty that shouldn't have been there. I mean, Lol COULD have learned to play keyboard properly (not like cure lines are hard) could have learned to be better on drums. He just didn't try, he was too punk for it (well i saw him in liek mid 80s interviews saying he still saw himself as punk).... And Smith just drove him MORE into alcohol i'm sure, the way he was handled, the shit he'd say in itnerviews with him RIGHT THERE. And I think he wouldn't have taken care of it too if the band hadn't given him an ultimatum over it by the rest of the band and Lol probably would have died.
Totally.. They kept him around as a muse. His solo stuff now is okay, he's married and seemingly happy and sober now which is nice to see. He even talks to them and jokes around about it now and was even invited on stage (I think) on a recent tour.

An aside... Simon has kids... His oldest in a pretty terrible band called in Tyler we trust. And porl... You heard he is now Pearl and has gone through a sex change.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #179
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Yeah lol played live with them some time in the last couple of years. it's good, you wouldn't think they would veer have..but age does that. Some shit just really stops to matter, things change.

And i also know about Simon's son, i checked out his band like maybe a couple of years back. Its fucking embarrassing. Emo shit. "Look dad me too!" "No....no son...just no"

And about Porl, i jsut wasn't surprised. It's kinda just sad that it happens now. I mean...seems liek he probably wasted a lot of years unhappy in his body.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #180
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...oinTheDots.jpg

Stumbled across this in mint condition at a local record store. Seems like it could be their version of TAFH. Cool booklet included in the set.

Favorite b-sides? I haven't listened to them yet. I have a good guess at the poster above me's preference.