Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #1471
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

you should offer him a trade instead. like a first edition book of mormon or joseph smith's seer stone (pictured below)

Old 12-13-2018, 02:22 PM   #1472
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Monte Ladies Don't Sayno

Old 12-13-2018, 02:23 PM   #1473
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

(With the date he'll take you on, how could you?)

Old 12-13-2018, 02:25 PM   #1474
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentsRocks View Post
Why aren't they making the album art themselves?
something something need to compete at the highest level or we'll never make it to Europe.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #1475
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
joseph smith's seer stone (pictured below)
Is this like the pebble that Fraggles pass around to each other at Christmastime (although they are heathens and don't know about Christ)?

Old 12-19-2018, 10:26 AM   #1476
fuzzyroes
Banned

So, are the folks who dug the new album still digging the new album?

I listened again... Still sucks.

I haven't really liked anything off of Billy's last 2 albums. Shiny and Ogilala are both just so bland.

Old 12-26-2018, 01:53 PM   #1477
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

So, I was reading the booklet and I noticed a few mistakes on the lyrics up on Genius. Specially on Travels!

Old 12-26-2018, 03:13 PM   #1478
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post

I haven't really liked anything off of Billy's last 2 albums. Shiny and Ogilala are both just so bland.
+ 1,000,001

Old 12-26-2018, 03:26 PM   #1479
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

Ogilala is the most respectable album he's put out post-Pumpkins.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:28 PM   #1480
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

The new album actually sounds like a Pumpkins album at points

Other than that yeah it’s a 5/10 for me now

Old 12-26-2018, 03:29 PM   #1481
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Marchin On remains a banger

Old 12-26-2018, 06:37 PM   #1482
FoolofaTook

lol yeah ok

Old 12-26-2018, 06:48 PM   #1483
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Ogilala is the most respectable album he's put out post-Pumpkins.
I strongly disagree. It's maybe the first BC release where there's not even 1 song that I like or find anything interesting in... Even Teargarden had Tom Tom. New album blows too aside from Silvery Sometimes.

It's alright though. I've reached a point where I'm comfortable in accepting that I'm just not all that into Billy Corgan as he currently stands as a songwriter. Too bad because I thought Monuments was a clear step in the right direction.... Tiberius, One and All, Anti-Hero, Dorian ETC. Guy was writing good hooks again.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:52 PM   #1484
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Marchin On remains a banger
I still don't understand the excitement around this song. Sounds like 2 minutes of phoned in crud... Melody sucks, boring musicianship ETC. It's short as hell and still seems to prod along. It basically sounds like they're trying too hard to "rock" albeit with no passion and nothing to say.

Bill could've at least threw in a solo or something.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:21 PM   #1485
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Ogilala is great and better than Shiny

Old 12-26-2018, 08:21 PM   #1486
fuzzyroes
Banned

You gotta listen to more music, man. Ogilala is not "great".

Old 12-26-2018, 09:09 PM   #1487
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

if you aren't happy with Marchin' On or With Sympathy, to name a couple, I don't know why you'd even bother checking out anything more by Billy Corgan or TSP as it currently stands, since yer pretty much never gonna be happy

this is a general "you," btw

Old 12-27-2018, 01:07 AM   #1488
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

I stand by my positive review of Shiny, with the caveat that I went in with extremely low expectations. I understood that Billy hasn't been a great songwriter since, like, before I had pubes, that the production would probably be ass (it actually works, for what it is), and that the album would likely be disjointed with pretty much none of the scope of previous projects (pretentious, overlong, and stupid album title be damned). All I really wanted was for the album to show at least a couple glimpses of "that pumpkins charm." By that measure, it's a success. Silvery Sometimes can absolutely hang with the classic singles in my book, and both Marchin On' and With Sympathy strike a certain chord that reminds me why I fell in love with SP in the first place. In addition, Travels seems to lack some urgency or variation or... something on the record, but it's definitely a Pumpkins tune, and I really resonated with it when I saw them in Tulsa. As for the others, which don't really have much of that "SP charm" to my ears, I've found that KoM is worse than I first thought, that Alienation is better than I first thought (but still pretty bad), and that Seek and Solara are both more interesting than they first appear, even if they aren't great. The issue is that, when the album is so short, you have less room to fuck up, and well, when half of a 30-ish minute album is below average, it doesn't feel great.

Ultimately, I'd say it's the musical equivalent of watching your favorite sports team squeak out an ugly victory over the worst team in the league. You're not gonna brag about it, and you probably wont even remember that much of it, but at the end of the day, a win is a win. The Pumpkins still have the opportunity for good things; this album is not a disaster. On that note, in 2007, I thought the reformed Pumpkins had an outside shot at playing the Superbowl halftime show, and that such a thing would be awesome. The thought of Billy's current performance getup/antics on that type of stage makes me feel like dying. I saw two shows in 2018 and they were great, but I enjoyed the one where I was seated far back more than the one where I was up close, probably because the distance mitigated how stupid Billy looked.

Old 12-27-2018, 01:18 AM   #1489
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

Also Ogilala was pretty good. There are some fantastic songs in the middle stretch of that album. It was really nice to see him do such a straightforward, stripped down, bullshit free record. The only truly terrible thing he has done is Teargarden IMO. Yeah, a lot of the other stuff does suck, but Teargarden was the only point where I avoided listening to new material

Old 12-27-2018, 02:59 AM   #1490
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
You gotta listen to more music, man. Ogilala is not "great".

I listen to lots of music, new, old, rock, jazz, folk, I don't care. Ogilala is great.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:59 AM   #1491
thomas_bland
Ownz

Friends who have taken the piss of SPs output over the last 11 years seem to rate Shiny quite highly. Alienation and Silvery particularly.

As for me, With Sympathy is beautiful (great JC/BC combo), Seek is a 'better 'rock' closer (than Anti-Hero). Knights (Yes) is an odd one, imperial era Oasis with Stones-esque backing vocals, with the lyrics it's hard (for me) not to like. Silvery is excellent and as with the comments above Solara sounds lots better on the record.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:10 AM   #1492
FoolofaTook

"imperial era Oasis"

lololololololol

Old 12-27-2018, 09:48 AM   #1493
thomas_bland
Ownz

Ah c'mon, (D')you know what I mean (yeah, yeah).

Old 12-27-2018, 10:11 AM   #1494
FoolofaTook

tbh i was a massive oasis fan back in the day.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:29 AM   #1495
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveIsSuicide42 View Post
I stand by my positive review of Shiny, with the caveat that I went in with extremely low expectations. I understood that Billy hasn't been a great songwriter since, like, before I had pubes, that the production would probably be ass (it actually works, for what it is), and that the album would likely be disjointed with pretty much none of the scope of previous projects (pretentious, overlong, and stupid album title be damned). All I really wanted was for the album to show at least a couple glimpses of "that pumpkins charm." By that measure, it's a success. Silvery Sometimes can absolutely hang with the classic singles in my book, and both Marchin On' and With Sympathy strike a certain chord that reminds me why I fell in love with SP in the first place. In addition, Travels seems to lack some urgency or variation or... something on the record, but it's definitely a Pumpkins tune, and I really resonated with it when I saw them in Tulsa. As for the others, which don't really have much of that "SP charm" to my ears, I've found that KoM is worse than I first thought, that Alienation is better than I first thought (but still pretty bad), and that Seek and Solara are both more interesting than they first appear, even if they aren't great. The issue is that, when the album is so short, you have less room to fuck up, and well, when half of a 30-ish minute album is below average, it doesn't feel great.

Ultimately, I'd say it's the musical equivalent of watching your favorite sports team squeak out an ugly victory over the worst team in the league. You're not gonna brag about it, and you probably wont even remember that much of it, but at the end of the day, a win is a win. The Pumpkins still have the opportunity for good things; this album is not a disaster. On that note, in 2007, I thought the reformed Pumpkins had an outside shot at playing the Superbowl halftime show, and that such a thing would be awesome. The thought of Billy's current performance getup/antics on that type of stage makes me feel like dying. I saw two shows in 2018 and they were great, but I enjoyed the one where I was seated far back more than the one where I was up close, probably because the distance mitigated how stupid Billy looked.

I think this is very accurate! I like alienation though.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:30 AM   #1496
Eulogy
huh

I never listened to ogilala. Just don’t feel compelled to.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:57 PM   #1497
thomas_bland
Ownz

Nor should you be, but if you do, Zowie is a great opener.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:26 AM   #1498
Eulogy
huh

Just listened to the first minute and that’s gonna be a no from me dawg

Old 12-28-2018, 09:41 AM   #1499
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Ogilala's alright but after 6 tracks or so, I just have to wonder, why am I listening to this anymore?

Old 12-28-2018, 10:37 AM   #1500
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
tbh i was a massive oasis fan back in the day.

I've just been spinning "Be Here Now" for the first times lately. I bought it awhile back from Value Village. Never did listen to it in their heyday. It's actually a really solid album. I'm surprised it was sort of a flop, at least in comparison to their first 2 records.