Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2009, 07:55 PM   #211
Ugly
Immortal

Location: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeyes View Post
Thanks for the review, nice to see it had reasonable effect. I didn't really give a shit about ordered musicality of this mix per se, the menacing atmosphere was a purpose unto itself. You are missing one track which is a shame, it was one of myne that cut noisely/eerily through an earlier section of the mix, but oh well. This is the last one I make, so im glad it went to someone who had the time for it. Also FFXII is good, glad that you appreciated this in that kind of environment.
Hey man, total fail on my part by missing your own track (which is
rather embarrassing, d'oh), I was skipping through the mix at work and
I guess your ambient fuzz feedback track blended SO WELL into the song
mix that I actually forgot that it was a separate track. So take that
one as a compliment, I guess. I'm surprised the "Secret of Mana"
track isn't the one I thought was from Zelda. Odd, that.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #212
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

Track 1 - Slow verses, but then picks up nicely during the chorus. has an interesting sort of "break down" toward the end of the song. would be interested in more of this.

Track 2 - Just a bunch of noises you wouldn't think could go together in a song, but it seems to work. The song has a lot of "parts" starts off as one thing, then sort of morphs in the middle to a false climax, and finally has some soft vocals and a last gasp of noise. Not bad.

Track 3 - The drums kind of ruin this song for me. I don't think I would listen to this song again.

Track 4 - Holy bloody eardrums batman, loud guitar, yelling, noise. goodness. luckily its less than a minute. not one of my favorites, but it was an interesting departure to the first two tracks.

Track 5 - Ahh, back to something more my speed. The vocal delivery is a tad bit whiny, but I enjoy the guitar work.

Track 6 - Another winner, has like a mo-town feel to it, catchy and not over the top. very straight forward. Another short track as well, would like more from this artist.

Track 7 - Hardly any guitar going on, then enter the brass section. And did he say he wants to travel by x-wing? Awesome. I enjoyed that.

Track 8 - Kind of a folk feel to it, lots of vocal layers going on. The vocals are the driving force of the song, the guitar is used more as a backing instrument than anything.

Track 9 - HMmm, stuff going on in different channels, hard to concentrate on whats being said or played. Not one of my favorites.

Track 10 - Liked this, the vocals reminded me sort of thurston moore for some reason. Not much guitar wise, but it works ...and just as i say that, there is some lead guitar and it fits in seamlessly.

Track 11 - Slow and plodding then an explosion of energy. Repeat, quiet and loud. Overall a fine track, I would be interested in hearing more from this artist.

Track 12 - This song has a familiar feel to it, not sure why. Definitely one of the better songs on here. It sort of reminds me of the mamas and the papas california dreaming with the male and female vocal harmonies. Good stuff.

Track 13 - Nice bit of noise at the beginning then the song really picks up after the 2 minute mark. Ethereal vocals, things ringing and twinkling, very dream like. I liked this, although it is a bit long.

Track 14 - Almost had no point, only 38 seconds long, some noise in reverse. I guess it works as a gap between the first and second part of the mix

Track 15 - Sounds like the singer is underwater, oddly though, I like this song. Has a dramatic feel to it with the organ, or whatever, sounding like the big reveal in a soap opera "dundundun NIIIIINNNN"

Track 16 - People impersonating trumpets, how can you not love that? Has a kind of beatles feel to it. I like the vocals, very powerful. I can picture this song ending a movie, with the hero riding off into the sunset and then...it slows down, almost too quiet, and now it has a gothic sound. Weird. Enjoyable.

Track 17 - Good track, a lot going on, but it all melds together very nicely. Sounds familiar as well, not sure why. This second half of the mix does seem to be a bit more strange, though thats not bad

Track 18 - Rap, now I am not a fan usually, but this doesn't sound like the usual stuff you would hear. There isn't a big beat, vocal cameos, or other production tricks like vocoder. It feels more genuine, just the MC doing what he does.

Track 19 - Pretty instrumental track. some accordian, horns, and string. It would work great as background music or something to listen intently on. Would like more of this.

Track 20 - Another istrumental, but in a completley differnet musical vein. Popping bass with guitar on top. Sounds like there are two guitar tracks. Very pleasing to hear, barely over a minute so it doesn't drag on. Would be intersted in more.

Track 21 - More dreamy vocals and guitar. The vocals remind me of chris martin from coldplay, not in a bad way - very nice vocal range. Songs like this are great, doesn't try and impress you with blistering guitar solos, but with simple harmonizing and hooks. Like my art teacher always said" KISS - keep it simple, stupid"

Track 22 - Like a quasi club, techno song at first, then the beat drops and comes back, toward the end it feels like a different song. Very cocteau twins, with the angel like vocals. It is rather long, i believe it is the longest song on the mix. Would like more.

Track 23 - First thing I notice is the lack of a drum track, but it wouldn't have fit in this song. The vocals are harsh and have an alarmed quality, like what she is saying is very important, granted I can hardly make out what she is saying. The guitar repeats the same chord progression and is only there to accompany the vocals. Liked it.

Track 24 - Minimalistic acoustic guitar with whispering vocals, reminds me of a lullaby. I am a sucker for an acoustic guitar. Very nice.

Track 25 - Sounds like something you would hear in space, all the beeping and booping. Wonderful vocals and lovely guitar, again a sucker for the acoustic. Just a cornacopia of sounds arranged carefully to build a beautiful song. everything has it's purpose. great song.

Track 26 - Slow build up, with some strings and a thundering drum. Gets quiet and then erupts with emotion and urgency. Very godspeed you black emeperor. Though not my cup of tea, it still is a nice song.

Track 27 - Very appropiate ending track. A return to the dreamy, swirling vocals and guitar to usher out the end of the mix. I would like more of this.

CONCLUSION:

Pros: 1. My mix was pretty much exactly what I was looking for - a bunch of stuff I had never heard before but was generally accessible for a new listener.
2. My mix maker took the time to make quick album art and even named the mix after me. <3

Cons: 1. My main con has really nothing to do with the mix itself but the files. There were a few mp4 files which liked to give WMP a hard time. I know I could have used winamp, but I would have liked all mp3.
2. 27 tracks was very hard for me to review. Everything is different and required equal attention. I tried not to just say "its good" or "its bad". I like the fact that the mixer was putting as much in the mix as possible to give me a new taste of music, but it was a bit overwhelming.

Other than that it was a very well done mix. The cons are barely cons, just some thoughts.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #213
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

Nimrod I made your mix. Sorry about being stuck in the early to mid 90's, but its just what I have been listening to lately, and I really didn't know what to put on the mix for you.

1. Fig Dish - Come on
2. The Pillows - Back Seat Dog (you were right to assume it was from an anime)
3. Sarge - Dear Josie, Love Robyn
4. The Lemonheads - Live Forever
5. Underground Lovers - In My Head
6. Honey is Cool - To the Pool
7. Presidents of the United States - Kitty
8. Majesty Crush - #1 Fan (a detroit shoegaze band)
9. Razorblade Smile - Special
10. Morphine - You Speak My Language
11. Jejune - Ford
12. The Stills - Of Montreal
13. Garden Variety - New Guitar Parts
14. The Sugarplastic - I Kiss an Ugly Girl
15. Butterglory - Stuck
16. Cell - Tundra
17. Dog Day - Oh Dead Life
18. Marcy Playground - Poppies
19. Bleach - Hate Song
20. Big Heavy Stuff - So Your News Can Reach Me
21. Mass of the Fermenting Dregs - I F a Surfer

Old 10-24-2009, 08:09 PM   #214
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermcphilp View Post
Nimrod I made your mix. Sorry about being stuck in the early to mid 90's, but its just what I have been listening to lately, and I really didn't know what to put on the mix for you.
Majesty Crush, Butterglory, Marcy P, and Bleach for the win!!! I was just listening to Hate Song on my way to work.

I would like a link to this mix.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:40 PM   #215
Shapan
Socialphobic

yeah id be into that mix too. a few cool 90s bands i dig and a bunch i havent heard, looks cool.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #216
D.
Consume my pants.

I also want to know why Nimrod would complain about a 90's-centric mix when he has like 170 posts in a Pearl Jam discussion thread.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:36 PM   #217
Shapan
Socialphobic

Quote:
Track 1 - Slow verses, but then picks up nicely during the chorus. has an interesting sort of "break down" toward the end of the song. would be interested in more of this.

Track 2 - Just a bunch of noises you wouldn't think could go together in a song, but it seems to work. The song has a lot of "parts" starts off as one thing, then sort of morphs in the middle to a false climax, and finally has some soft vocals and a last gasp of noise. Not bad.

Track 3 - The drums kind of ruin this song for me. I don't think I would listen to this song again.

Track 4 - Holy bloody eardrums batman, loud A, yelling, noise. goodness. luckily its less than a minute. not one of my favorites, but it was an interesting departure to the first two tracks.

Track 5 - Ahh, back to something more my speed. The vocal delivery is a tad bit whiny, but I enjoy the guitar work.

Track 6 - Another winner, has like a mo-town feel to it, catchy and not over the top. very straight forward. Another short track as well, would like more from this artist.

Track 7 - Hardly any guitar going on, then enter the brass section. And did he say he wants to travel by x-wing? Awesome. I enjoyed that.

Track 8 - Kind of a folk feel to it, lots of vocal layers going on. The vocals are the driving force of the song, the guitar is used more as a backing instrument than anything.

Track 9 - HMmm, stuff going on in different channels, hard to concentrate on whats being said or played. Not one of my favorites.

Track 10 - Liked this, the vocals reminded me sort of thurston moore for some reason. Not much guitar wise, but it works ...and just as i say that, there is some lead guitar and it fits in seamlessly.

Track 11 - Slow and plodding then an explosion of energy. Repeat, quiet and loud. Overall a fine track, I would be interested in hearing more from this artist.

Track 12 - This song has a familiar feel to it, not sure why. Definitely one of the better songs on here. It sort of reminds me of the mamas and the papas california dreaming with the male and female vocal harmonies. Good stuff.

Track 13 - Nice bit of noise at the beginning then the song really picks up after the 2 minute mark. Ethereal vocals, things ringing and twinkling, very dream like. I liked this, although it is a bit long.

Track 14 - Almost had no point, only 38 seconds long, some noise in reverse. I guess it works as a gap between the first and second part of the mix

Track 15 - Sounds like the singer is underwater, oddly though, I like this song. Has a dramatic feel to it with the organ, or whatever, sounding like the big reveal in a soap opera "dundundun NIIIIINNNN"

Track 16 - People impersonating trumpets, how can you not love that? Has a kind of beatles feel to it. I like the vocals, very powerful. I can picture this song ending a movie, with the hero riding off into the sunset and then...it slows down, almost too quiet, and now it has a gothic sound. Weird. Enjoyable.

Track 17 - Good track, a lot going on, but it all melds together very nicely. Sounds familiar as well, not sure why. This second half of the mix does seem to be a bit more strange, though thats not bad

Track 18 - Rap, now I am not a fan usually, but this doesn't sound like the usual stuff you would hear. There isn't a big beat, vocal cameos, or other production tricks like vocoder. It feels more genuine, just the MC doing what he does.

Track 19 - Pretty instrumental track. some accordian, horns, and string. It would work great as background music or something to listen intently on. Would like more of this.

Track 20 - Another istrumental, but in a completley differnet musical vein. Popping bass with guitar on top. Sounds like there are two guitar tracks. Very pleasing to hear, barely over a minute so it doesn't drag on. Would be intersted in more.

Track 21 - More dreamy vocals and guitar. The vocals remind me of chris martin from coldplay, not in a bad way - very nice vocal range. Songs like this are great, doesn't try and impress you with blistering guitar solos, but with simple harmonizing and hooks. Like my art teacher always said" KISS - keep it simple, stupid"

Track 22 - Like a quasi club, techno song at first, then the beat drops and comes back, toward the end it feels like a different song. Very cocteau twins, with the angel like vocals. It is rather long, i believe it is the longest song on the mix. Would like more.

Track 23 - First thing I notice is the lack of a drum track, but it wouldn't have fit in this song. The vocals are harsh and have an alarmed quality, like what she is saying is very important, granted I can hardly make out what she is saying. The guitar repeats the same chord progression and is only there to accompany the vocals. Liked it.

Track 24 - Minimalistic acoustic guitar with whispering vocals, reminds me of a lullaby. I am a sucker for an acoustic guitar. Very nice.

Track 25 - Sounds like something you would hear in space, all the beeping and booping. Wonderful vocals and lovely guitar, again a sucker for the acoustic. Just a cornacopia of sounds arranged carefully to build a beautiful song. everything has it's purpose. great song.

Track 26 - Slow build up, with some strings and a thundering drum. Gets quiet and then erupts with emotion and urgency. Very godspeed you black emeperor. Though not my cup of tea, it still is a nice song.

Track 27 - Very appropiate ending track. A return to the dreamy, swirling vocals and guitar to usher out the end of the mix. I would like more of this.

CONCLUSION:

Pros: 1. My mix was pretty much exactly what I was looking for - a bunch of stuff I had never heard before but was generally accessible for a new listener.
2. My mix maker took the time to make quick album art and even named the mix after me. <3

Cons: 1. My main con has really nothing to do with the mix itself but the files. There were a few mp4 files which liked to give WMP a hard time. I know I could have used winamp, but I would have liked all mp3.
2. 27 tracks was very hard for me to review. Everything is different and required equal attention. I tried not to just say "its good" or "its bad". I like the fact that the mixer was putting as much in the mix as possible to give me a new taste of music, but it was a bit overwhelming.

Other than that it was a very well done mix. The cons are barely cons, just some thoughts.
dude, so sorry about the format. thats the way ive always done my mixes and i guess my people have used itunes so it went through without a prob (or at least i think they did) but mp3 is the general format so thats a good thing to know for the next time i make a mix. hope it wasnt too annoying.

also i was stoked to get you for this because you made my last mix and it was good, i know you have good taste in music, and you were up for things you hadn't heard. that stokedness ended up with me packing the mix to the limit, but i wanted to get you a lot of stuff for it. here's the tracklisting and comments.

1. The Fiery Furnaces - Keep Me in the Dark - I'm Going Away (one of my favorite choruses of the year from one of my favorite bands)
2. Clues - Remember Severed Head - Clues (and this is my favorie album of the year, i love this song)
3. railcars - concrete buildings - Cities vs. Submarines (this is a local band. i like the guitars but i can see why you wouldn't dig it)
4. Times New Viking - Hate Hate Hate - Stay Awake (i put a song off this EP on my last mix because it was new then, and now their new LP came out so i put another on this one. this song's a riot)
5. The Unicorns - The Clap - Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone? (one of my fav albums ever, this is by far the whiniest they sound on it. the guy singing here is the same dude singing in clues)
6. Nobunny - Mess Me Up - Love Visions
7. mclusky - Forget About Him I'm Mint - The Difference Between You and Me is That I'm Not on Fire (im pretty sure ive used this on a mix before, but this song is so laid back i thought it was a good thing to use between the faster songs and the upcoming tunes)
8. tUnE-yArDs - News - bIrD-BrAiNs
9. Fuzzy Knuckles - San Onofre - Fuzzy Knuckles (haha this is another local, you're right it is a bit all over the place. he'll get a kick out of that)
10. Nodzzz - In the City (Contact High) - Nodzzz
11. Smith Westerns - Be My Girl - Smith Westerns (one of the better new garage bands ive heard of, really young too)
12. The Dutchess and the Duke - Sunrise / Sunset - Sunrise / Sunset (another band ive used on an older mix but was prompted to use again because of a new LP.)
13. The Ruby Suns - Blue Penguin - Sea Lion (new zealand reps)
14. Modest Mouse - [Untitled] - The Fruit That Ate Itself (just threw this in to break up the previous straightforward stuff with the next pop psych half. also im a sucker for shit in reverse)
15. Major Organ and the Adding Machine - When Father Was Away on Business - Major Organ and the Adding Machine (a clusterfuck of E6ers, i like this album a lot)
16. Pipes You See, Pipes You Don't - Sleep Come Easy - Individualized Shirts (more E6 psych pop from olivia tremor control keyboardist peter ehrick. btw this is mandatory listening for anyone who likes otc.)
17. The Olivia Tremor Control - Black Foliage (Itself) - Black Foliage: Animation Music Vol. 1 (i love this band and this album intensely.)
18. Madvillain - Accordion - Madvillainy (mf doom, the guy rapping here, is all about genuine rapping. some of the best stuff ive heard has been from him and his diff aliases)
19. Years - September 5. October 21. 2007. - Years (this is a very good album, i think this guy is a member of BSS.)
20. Spoon - Dracula's Cigarette - Get Nice! (a break from the accordions, and a transition into the more ambient dreamy stuff coming up. this album is nifty)
21. Desolation Wilderness - Boardwalk Theme - New Universe (i can hear where you heard chris martin a little. if parachutes turned up the reverb it could pass off for something like this)
22. A Sunny Day in Glasgow - Close Chorus - Ashes Grammar (probably my second or third fav album of the year, dreamy as fuck)
23. Best Coast - Angsty - Where the Boys Are
24. Mason Lindahl - Warm Ducks - Serrated Man Sound
25. Atlas Sound - The Light that Failed - Logos
26. Dirty Three - The Restless Waves - Ocean Songs
27. Khonnor - Screen Love, Space, and the Time Man - Handwriting (great album)

glad you enjoyed it, my own laptop doesn't connect to the net right now and it has all my music on there, so ill upload all the albums of everything you said you'd like more of tomorrow. if you'd like anything else on there let me know and i will upload those as well.

to the person who gave my mix, your review is coming soon. i just finished a killer week of midterms so the last few days i havent been at my apt. i wanted to give the mix my undivided attention, so that'll maybe be up here by some time tomorrow.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:37 PM   #218
Shapan
Socialphobic

del but also yeah i figured that mix was made to accomodate nimrod's pearl jam boner

Old 10-25-2009, 12:04 AM   #219
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

Here is a link to my mix

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Old 10-25-2009, 01:56 AM   #220
Ugly
Immortal

Location: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
First of all, I'm writing this last version of my review while having quite a high fever, so forgive me if I'm not making sense...

Whoever made my mix - you forgot to remove ALL the tags and file names. But not to worry: With MP3Tag I managed to delete/change them before I could read more than one or two. Still - tsk

01. I know this is Austrian Death Machine. I read it, and it reminded me that I actually downloaded their Christmas album once. Nice choice, good intro. And who doesn't love Jingle Bells? Plus I love the break at around 1:45.

02. Very NWBHM-y, and thanks to the over-the-top screaming I could only make out like four or five words. I don't usually listen to music like this very often, but when I do it get's me fucking PUMPED. This is now my get-up-your-ass-and-out-to-work song - so, thanks, I guess. Sounds like a mix between Manowar and Maiden.

03. Hm, why not, hard rock is okay as well, I guess. At least this guy's actually singing half of the time. Catchy riff, very headbangy, interestingly much to my liking. Good song, I'm surprised I actually like this.

04. Feedback, feedback, feedback... oh, here we go. A slight change in style with this one, less metal-y. And I'm pretty sure I've heard this before. "Condoleeza"? Yeah, of course I know this one. Makes me wanna sing along.

05. Scotty Doesn't Know? Seriously? LOL. Yeah, brings out the 15-year-old in me. I'm almost ashamed to admit that I had secretly liked this song ever since I saw that fucking Eurotrip flick. The funny thing it that I'm actually torn over this one. I mean, it's annoying bubble punk, but -much like blink182- the vibe's alright.

06. Hm. Tricky. I really like the mood and the guitars here, but it's a bit over-the-top. Like some high school rock band suddenly trying to write ballads. Yeah, that's pretty much what it sounds like. Also, I believe I've heard this before. The ending makes up for their stupid voice(s?) at the beginning, but the synthie strings hurt my ears...

7. Heh, took me a while to recognize this one. And only the fact that I have a crush on Neil Patrick Harris makes up for the, literally, horrible music Awesome!

8. Wonderful, e-bowy Wish You Were Here cover. Perfect.

9. A fantastic Set The Ray To Jerry cover. Her voice sounds familiar, but I have no idea who would cover a Pumpkins b-side. Anyway, I love it.

10. Right on, CAKE. I can get behind that. I dig the relaxing effect this song always has on me.

11. Hm. Who's this? Neil Young covering the Stones? "As Tears Go By" never did much for me. But again, it carries a certain vibe that I like in this version.

12. The Frames - Say It To Me Now. One of my favorite songs by one of my favorite bands. Fantastic choice, the mix progresses nicely. This is the Hansard solo version though, right? Awesome.

13. Okay, I hate this song. It was almost funny the first time I heard it, but I hate the voice (Who is that clown? Adam Sandler?), and it's all-around unoriginal. But hey, I'm picky when it comes to novelty tracks.

14. "Even Hitler had a girlfriend"? Hm. Nice try, but as much as I am for acoustic tracks, this also doesn't do much for me, I'm sorry.

15. Oh, looky here. I love, love, love Shatners solo album. Instantly made me smile. Weirdly picks up the "narrative vibe" that got lost after track 12.

16. Andy Samberg? LOL. What the fuck? Only works for me because it's less than two minutes long. But, funny enough, even though it absolutely kills the mood, which was probably the point.

17. I... don't know what to say. 80ies synthie pop goes Atari? Angry men from Australia grunting? 83 completely irritating seconds.

18. Fuck, I know this one. [...] I played parts of this mix to my dad, and he said this was originally by Gary Newman. A Foo Fighters cover, maybe?

19. System Of A Down, right? Wow, this must be from after Toxicity, the last SOAD-record I enjoyed. But I like it. What's it called?

20. What an awesome intro! Took me a while to recognize the Mars Volta. "The Pioneers", right? Yeah, his voice kills this track, as always. Still, good choice.

21. Whoa there, hardcore. Nice riff(s), but I don't understand one word. Hey, they're singing, too! Not particularly my cup of tea, but it got a neat groove. So, why not. Neat outro.

22. Another novelty song. A nice reminder of our mortality. Hm, good enough last track, even though it's nothing special. The kids choir is a nice touch. Merry Christmas to you too.

Thanks for this great mix. I'm not sure if you wanted to tease or test me with tracks 13, 14 and 22, but other than that I loved it. Can't wait to find out some of the artists.
So, now I'm going back to bed.
Yeah, I totally 100% did not know I was supposed to remove the tags.
In fact, I even went OUT of my way to correctly name each and every
track very specifically before I uploaded it, which is the utter
opposite of what you're supposed to do. Hell, when I originally
uploaded the mix it had my name on it so I had to re-up it. Hey, it's
my first day.

01 - Austrian Death Machine - Jingle Bells (James Lord Pierpont cover)
02 - 3 Inches Of Blood - Wykydtron
03 - Every Time I Die - Kill the Music
04 - Against Me! - From Her Lips to God's Ears {The Energizer}
05 - Lustra - Scotty Doesn't Know (Eurotrip soundtrack)
06 - Holiday - Never Seen the Sun
07 - NPH - Everything You Ever (Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog soundtrack)
08 - Sparklehorse - Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd cover - Lords of Dogtown soundtrack)
09 - Zolof the Rock and Roll Destroyer - Set the Ray To Jerry
(Smashing Pumpkins cover)
10 - Cake - Friend Is A Four Letter Word
11 - The Rolling Stones - As Tears Go By (Live - Shine A Light soundtrack)
12 - Glen Hansard - Say It To Me Now (Once soundtrack)
13 - Weird Al Yankovic - You Dont Love Me Anymore
14 - The Mr. T Experience - Even Hitler had a Girlfriend
15 - William Shatner - Real
16 - The Lonely Island - Like A Boss
17 - HORSE the Band - Kangarooster Meadows
18 - Foo Fighters - Down in the Park (Gary Numan cover)
19 - System of a Down - Lost in Hollywood
20 - Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3
21 - As I Lay Dying - This is Who We Are
22 - Juan Schwartz - Dead Dead Dead (Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics
soundtrack)

The main point of the mix was flow, flow, flow: going from heavy metal to acoustic and you don't notice the transition. It sort of has 4 separate sections : Metal/punk > mellow/acoustic > acoustic/joke-y > back to heavy but a bit spacier and, dare I say it, prog-y (As I lay dying is about as prog as you can get for a hardcore band). So something like the Dr. Horrible track is there because it has piano and it leads well into the next song, and the final track plays off the piano riff outro from the second-to-last track. Wasn't quite going for "narrative" but each bit did have a specfic vibe to it.

Track 2 is a Canadian metal band from Vancouver. Been listening to that song for years and I can't catch all the lyrics either, but it's about a killer robotic intelligence in the future called the "Wykydtron" that destroys humanity ("In the Year 4055, Wykydtron came to life!" "Millions die raditation blast from Hell!" "This is the end of the Human Race!", etc. etc.), I'd recomend checking out the lyrics because they're pretty epic.
Track 3 I really only threw on because of the outro lyric "I know the stripper's real name!" which is kind of awesome.
Track 6 is my buddy's brother's ex band who aren't a band anymore (heard it was the singer who couldn't hack it) and I first heard it at my buddy's wedding. Don't know any of their other songs, but as far as no-budet local band music goes, I thought they made it sound pretty epic.
Track 7: the only "serious" song from Dr. Horrible but it flows well.
Track 9 was from the SP myspace tribute and they didn't even put it on there, which is insane because A) it's a fantastic cover better than anything on the album and B) I like it even better than the SP version just because I think it works better with a female voice.
Track 11: no, not a cover, the real deal from "Shine a Light". Guess Mick is sounding like Neil Young in his old age.
Track 13: It was a joke song that was a transition bit from the previous songs. It was meant to be a fake-out hearing the acoustic intro. The mix got a bit too sappy in the middle there so I was trying to sort of make a gag about it. Lyrics make me laugh: "You slammed my face down on the BBQ grill, now the scars are all healing but my heart never will."
Track 17 - Another goofy song that either find irritating as hell or amusing (sample: that insane laugh at the end). HORSE got tagged with the term "Nintendocore" and while this song isn't very hardcore, but it has that synth vibe. I thought it transitioned well to the Foo's track (the melody is sort of similar and "Medows" and "Park" in the titles/lyrics)
Track 18 - Both you and your old man have good ears.
Track 19 - the final track off Mezmerize by System. Album hasn't stuck with me at all,, but this track has. I love the bitterly sarcastic "all you bitches put your hands in the air and wave 'em like you just don't care". Not heavy at all, very mellow for them which is different.
Track 20 - Yeah, that song does have one of the best intros ever. Every Coheed song is about a Star Wars-style intergallatic epic. Crazy shit.
Track 21 - The Chorus is catchy as hell in that song, very much a sing-a-long bit.

Tracks 1-2 and tracks 20-21-22 are actually all reflections of each other. Austrian Death Machine is the solo project of the lead singer of As I Lay Dying. Wykydtron and the Coheed songs are both sci-fi influenced metal rock heavy tunes (if you wanna get really into it as a narrative: the Coheed tune would be about the fight AGAINST the killer robot in the other song) and Track 1 & 22 are Christmas tracks. So it's kind of a Christmas mix, but it really isn't at all.

Link to the original one I uploaded (with my nick attached to it which I had to then re-up)
http://rapidshare.com/files/283735522/A_Very_Ugly_X-Mas.rar

Last edited by Ugly : 10-25-2009 at 02:07 AM.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:29 AM   #221
Shapan
Socialphobic

god damn i had a full review typed out then my laptop decided to randomly restart and give me no option in doing anything. im too frustrated to write everything out again, so to the person who did my mix, i dig it, and ill have the review out tomorrow

Old 10-26-2009, 08:43 AM   #222
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
i kinda feel the same way.

mine had a modest mouse song and a built to spill song that i knew and liked. and a bunch of stuff that was really bad. a lot of it was kinda screamo-y sounding. all of it was pretty generic and unmemorable. oh and a wesley willis track. pretty bad. i thought that track 17, the second of two instrumentals that sound like they were by some emo/screamo/hardcore/punk/whatever outfit, like a lot of songs on the album, was good onetime when it came on shuffle when i was hanging out with a friend. so when i got home i listened closer and it wasn't really too my taste. i guess i was mistaken.

pretty much everything on here was not the type of music i'd get into. thanks for trying though.
Sorry you didn't like my mix.

The tracklisting was:

01: In Circles, Sunny Day Real Estate
02: Auberge Le Mouton Noir, Do Make Say Think
03: Our Sun Is Always Rising, Quiet Company
04: Good Morning Providence, Gloria Record
05: Chronic Schizophrinia, Wesley Willis
06: Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window?, The Hold Steady
07: Succexy, Metric
08: Carry The Zero, Built To Spill
09: When You Feel Miserable, Starflyer 59
10: Penetration, Pedro The Lion
11: Reggie and the Full Effect banter
12: Atropine, Rainer Maria
13: Lunch Hour Pops, Broadcast
14: The Matter, Casket Lottery
15: Talking Shit About A Pretty Sunset, Modest Mouse
16: The Fingerprints, Black Heart Processional
17: Your Hand In Mine, Explosions In The Sky
18: Beer Is Good For You, David Allen Coe

Old 10-26-2009, 11:25 PM   #223
TheDeuce
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapan View Post
del but also yeah i figured that mix was made to accomodate nimrod's pearl jam boner
got a link to the mix you made?

Old 10-26-2009, 11:44 PM   #224
Shapan
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
got a link to the mix you made?
here's a link for my mix:
hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?nuavnyoziyy

joe here are the links to the bands you were interested in. these arent my links, figured this would be faster

the fiery furnaces - gallowsbird's bark
hxxp://www.megaupload.com/?d=7OKGLRLN
spoon - ga ga ga ga ga
hxxp://www.megaupload.com/?d=DZYD8DX8
khonnor - handwriting
hxxp://www.mediafire.com/download.php?kzmm0zmizwj
smith westerns - smith westerns
hxxp://www.mediafire.com/download.php?vghnzzniocy
a sunny day in glasgow - ashes grammar
hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?4eqynz2d4xn
years - years
hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?lmgtnytli2d

okay im writing this review again after having it done last night before my laptop decided to shut itself off. i hope this rewrite isnt less enthusiastic or anything

01 - dig the guitars in the beginning. bad religion, this guy's voice is unmistakable. i havent heard this song though. this is good, ive always been a fan of this band
02 - yesssssss mudhoney. i havent listened to this band in ages. this is the lucky ones, love that chorus, love that tone, this band is great. im gonna listen to this band some more thanks to this inclusion in the mix. its been years.
03 - an instrumental little ditty that's pretty groovy. that bass line makes me feel like its going to break into guerilla radio by ratm at any time. this is alright, im glad it isnt much longer or it might overstay its welcome.
04 - this song really catches my attention, i love the instrumentation and the violin. and then the lyrics are funny and awkward because its about making sex tapes. im going to play this on my show once i found out who this is. i dont know if this band is all over the place or if they make more music like this, but im interested in getting more.
05 - this song sounded like credence at first, but its not i dont think. its a classic rock band and this song is probably famous. but i can't put my finger on who it is. this song is pleasant enough.
06 - i saw chris cornell do this MJ cover on conan not that long ago, didnt know if there was a studio version of it, but this answers that. this is one of my favorite songs off thriller, too. this is a really good cover, haunting. cornell has always had a great voice.
07 - this is another old song that sounds very familiar. however im not too into this one, a little boring.
08 - i dig these harmonies in the beginning. a nazi song. not bad, wish it would branch out a bit.
09 - yay drums. this is into the white by the pixies, i just recently heard their bside compilation the other day. its pretty great, this is a classic pixies track. im gonna see them on the doolittle tour in a little over a week.
10 - this song's cool, also feels like a bit of a throwback but not as old as those other songs i couldn't recognize. wouldn't mind hearing more of this.
11 - havalina cover, this is nice. the voice that comes in makes me chuckle
12 - this wouldnt play :/
13 - this is a no quarter cover. it took me a while to recognize who was covering it, but then maynaaaaaaard comes singing and the guitars come sludging in and you can recognize that its tool. this is good, a perfect circle had a nice cover of when the levee breaks, too.
14 - fake plastic trees cover, this is quaint enough but makes me badly want to listen to the original. the robotic voice is funny.
15 - solo piano cover of brain damage by pink floyd. pretty cool closer

so, that was a nice mix. i was very familiar with quite a lot of it, which is good and bad. the few things i didnt know though ranged from ok to very good, so thats a good thing. altogether i think the person who made this mix really kept in mind the stuff i like, so i appreciate that. good mix.

Last edited by Shapan : 10-26-2009 at 11:50 PM.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #225
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

Quote:

joe here are the links to the bands you were interested in. these arent my links, figured this would be faster

spoon - ga ga ga ga ga
khonnor - handwriting
years - years
you, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #226
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
I also want to know why Nimrod would complain about a 90's-centric mix when he has like 170 posts in a Pearl Jam discussion thread.
It was 90's shoegaze rock.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #227
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

Nimrod, did you want any links to the albums the songs came off of or no?

Old 10-28-2009, 04:30 PM   #228
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
Nimrod, did you want any links to the albums the songs came off of or no?
No thanks. Sorry man.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #229
Nimrod's Son

Quote:

spoon - ga ga ga ga ga
khonnor - handwriting
years - years

okay im writing this review again after having it done last night before my laptop decided to shut itself off. i hope this rewrite isnt less enthusiastic or anything

01 - dig the guitars in the beginning. bad religion, this guy's voice is unmistakable. i havent heard this song though. this is good, ive always been a fan of this band
02 - yesssssss mudhoney. i havent listened to this band in ages. this is the lucky ones, love that chorus, love that tone, this band is great. im gonna listen to this band some more thanks to this inclusion in the mix. its been years.
03 - an instrumental little ditty that's pretty groovy. that bass line makes me feel like its going to break into guerilla radio by ratm at any time. this is alright, im glad it isnt much longer or it might overstay its welcome.
04 - this song really catches my attention, i love the instrumentation and the violin. and then the lyrics are funny and awkward because its about making sex tapes. im going to play this on my show once i found out who this is. i dont know if this band is all over the place or if they make more music like this, but im interested in getting more.
05 - this song sounded like credence at first, but its not i dont think. its a classic rock band and this song is probably famous. but i can't put my finger on who it is. this song is pleasant enough.
06 - i saw chris cornell do this MJ cover on conan not that long ago, didnt know if there was a studio version of it, but this answers that. this is one of my favorite songs off thriller, too. this is a really good cover, haunting. cornell has always had a great voice.
07 - this is another old song that sounds very familiar. however im not too into this one, a little boring.
08 - i dig these harmonies in the beginning. a nazi song. not bad, wish it would branch out a bit.
09 - yay drums. this is into the white by the pixies, i just recently heard their bside compilation the other day. its pretty great, this is a classic pixies track. im gonna see them on the doolittle tour in a little over a week.
10 - this song's cool, also feels like a bit of a throwback but not as old as those other songs i couldn't recognize. wouldn't mind hearing more of this.
11 - havalina cover, this is nice. the voice that comes in makes me chuckle
12 - this wouldnt play :/
13 - this is a no quarter cover. it took me a while to recognize who was covering it, but then maynaaaaaaard comes singing and the guitars come sludging in and you can recognize that its tool. this is good, a perfect circle had a nice cover of when the levee breaks, too.
14 - fake plastic trees cover, this is quaint enough but makes me badly want to listen to the original. the robotic voice is funny.
15 - solo piano cover of brain damage by pink floyd. pretty cool closer

so, that was a nice mix. i was very familiar with quite a lot of it, which is good and bad. the few things i didnt know though ranged from ok to very good, so thats a good thing. altogether i think the person who made this mix really kept in mind the stuff i like, so i appreciate that. good mix.
1. Bad Religion - The Streets of America
2. Mudhoney - The Lucky Ones
3. Harrybu McCage - Alice in my Fantasies
4. Joy Zipper - For Lenny's Own Pleasure - I can't believe someone else had this in their mix
5. The Rolling Stones - Sway
6. Chris Cornell - Billie Jean
7. The Who - Athena
8. John Frusciante - Today Your Love, Tomorrow the World
9. Pixies - Into the White
10. Warlocks - Shake the Dope Out
11. They Might Be Giants - Havalina
12. Radio 4 - Eyes Wide Open
13. Tool - No Quarter
14. Mr. Hopkinson's Computer - Fake Plastic Trees
15. Piano - Brain Damage/Eclipse

Old 10-29-2009, 06:57 AM   #230
TheDeuce
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
4. Joy Zipper - For Lenny's Own Pleasure - I can't believe someone else had this in their mix
lol. i just heard this band for the first time in the last six months, and this is the song that got me into them. my fiance's the one that heard of them first. they're really good and the album this is from is their most solid, imo.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:54 PM   #231
Nimrod's Son

Shapan I can re-send Radio 4 if you'd like it

Old 10-29-2009, 05:33 PM   #232
Shapan
Socialphobic

ya sure

Old 10-29-2009, 09:54 PM   #233
Nimrod's Son

I'll just send the entire thing tagged tomorrow

Old 10-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #234
Nimrod's Son

I uploaded the tagged version here with hopefully a playable Radio 4 tune - which I tested and works fine for me.
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Old 10-30-2009, 06:37 PM   #235
I'm Hardcore
Banned

review will be done tonight

Old 10-31-2009, 03:28 AM   #236
Andy /

my review is coming. pretty sure i got rp's again (because talk show host flaked out).

Old 11-03-2009, 02:38 AM   #237
redbull
Immortal

i made another mix for a friend does anyone want it
also still reviewing mine i swear

Old 11-03-2009, 03:57 AM   #238
publius clodius
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: thank you mario but our princess is in another castle

come on recipient

its been more than a month

Old 11-03-2009, 04:17 AM   #239
I'm Hardcore
Banned

here is my review FINALLY:

1. JOLEEEEEENE. I have no idea who sings this.
2. No idea who sings this either. Sounds like pretty standard fare, middle of the road country/rock?
3. Sounds like a Ravenguy special. More straight-up country this time, i can dig this. Kind of got the Old Crow thing going on.
4. I know that this is a Clash song, right?
5. Fuck yes, now we’re talking. Jimmy Cliff is the man, this is a great tune
6. Ahh two in a row. Al Green – ‘Tired Of Being Alone’. I know this track from the film Dead Presidents. Killer.
7. OoooOooh nice little soul number. The production makes me think that this track isn’t overly old? Whoever she is, she got pipes.
8. I’ve always really liked Maggot Brain, great choice!
9. Similar to track 7 – no idea who this is, but fucking sweet femme soul vocals. This one also sounds fairly recent, although i am probably wrong
10. And here we switch to something more Hardcore (haha). This album is so sweet. GZA!
11. SO YA WANNA BE HARDCORE. Who is this? On the ball. My rap/hip-hop knowledge is bound to be shown up now.
Halfway through; pleasantly surprised!
12. Again, no idea. More rap, of which i have heard very little. Lack of knowledge is showing!
13. Busta Rhymes? That slur is unmistakeable.
14. Prefuse 73 – ‘Just The Thought’. Awesome track!!
15. AH THA SYMPHONY. A Kanye-like intro, i must say. Don’t like this one too much, sorry.
16. Back to the funk/soul grooves. Nice piano-laced instrumental.
17. For some reason, this track won’t play??
18. I had no idea that anybody on this board listened to the Chills. Cool. This is probably their best song, aside from ‘Rolling Moon’.
19. Love this track, too. I don’t care how ‘hipster’ or ‘indie’ TVOTR may be. This is such a fucking great song.
20. Modern post-punky instrumental, not too shabby.
21. I pretty much know nothing about jazz. This is the kind of jazz i enjoy, though – light, sparse.
22. See above.

Nice mix! I haven’t heard many of these tracks before, which is a good move in an exercise like this. Thanks for the time and effort. 7/10 overall.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:25 AM   #240
ryan patrick
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by publius clodius View Post
come on recipient

its been more than a month
our mixes require deep thought and reflection