Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 05-21-2007, 07:10 PM   #31
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Dom -
I liked the part 2 track more. I was thinking what would be the optimal settings for listening to this music, and I could not come with anything. Do you alone have anything in mind, what ativity would go with this? I am not too much into this experimental music, but I'd certainly classify this more as 'good' rahter than 'bad, sucking' music.

Joeri -
drug ghosts - catchy, aggressive , it reminds me of Firestarter and some track from Fragile towards the end
hardcore- very nice, I don't like the distorted parts - if you got this with distorted guitars, I guess it would have been better
memory - great, made me wept (although around 2 minute mark it starts meandering nowhere)
xylometazoline - rhythm track almost your trademark thing
intermezzo - this should be intro music for SP2 hitting the stage, haha!
lazy journalist - what a sad, heart-breaking song, outro like something by Primus
le deestra - fantastic song, fits right well at the end of the record.

Paul -
I listened to first four songs. I like the versatility of the tracks, that you don't stick with only one thing. I would actually wouldn't mind listening to this while driving. I was pleasantly surprised by your singing on Wilt. It comes across as a honest stuff, and I wouldn't have thought you can sing like this.

isle-
hah, that is actually quite sympathetic stuff, isle. You should focus on sing-along songs for children, your music sounds quite suitable for that. I am not sure if you take it as a compliment, but I really don't mean it in a bad way.
EDIT: yeah I guess it must be that girl, but I think it is really good if this is what she's bringing to the plate. I wouldn't discourage her at all, quite to the opposite. Happy music is a good music!

Luke da Spa -
you know I still keep the demo of the song (boats) and I prefer it to this. It is more raw, real, spontaneous.
I do not agree with isle that you should be more aggressive or that your music is missing edge. I actually appreciate you're not pushing it, when you don't feel it, that you seem to be comfortable with the way it comes from you. And if you rawk out, it is hilarious (all our base belong to UNICRON!
I hope you find other guys for the band very soon, and you get to play this material live. You are very talented songwriter, and it shows.

COG-
I really felt sorry about you with the Christmas song - how much stuff you have contributed and how little was used at the end.
You seem to have good ideas, but when it is all thrown together into songs, it tastes weird. If I were you, I would try to develop more certain ideas, here the things like new leaf - it looks like you get something going, and then you don't know how to progress with it any further, so you jump to some completely different idea -I felt a bit lost.
I understand your limitations, but still - the music felt plastic to me, like polyethylene - it is machine music, I lack the human being feeling - but again, if someone is into techno or electronica, he will have a different opinion

cork_soaker-

that is wonderful music. You and LDS should form a killer duo. I liked Revolve the most, untitled reminded me of Walking on the wild side by Lou Reed. I really have nothing bad to say, and I guess you get enough compliments on your own. Do you have any music that does have more full-abnd sound or is everything like this- minimal, effective, good?

brendo
that's a buttrock, indeed. I can imagine you'd make a great soundtrack for me drinking 3-4 beers on a nice sunny day afternoon and then in the mood mildly rocking out to your music on some open-air festival. That would be a good time. You know that type of music that's OK enough and is not irritating, but the other day you can't really remember any melody, just that you have had a sort of good time.

deadaswarhol

I am confused - are you going for the TFE sound on purpose or is it only a temporary thing because you have no drummer right now?
I like your guitar playing, it makes me feel sentimental for my high school years. what happened to Sprinkles? I downloaded fucknstars, but the music going together with the video is so much better - I don't know, it reminds me of all the shit we were doing at that time - the song with video is doing a great job in bringing all these memories back - I personally think fucknstars >>>> TFE sound
I hope you get some drummer soon. But really - what happened to Sprinkles?

milstead
IDK - you sound like soft NIN, and the last song is a mix of NIN with Starla. Maybe you are too much sound engineer, the songs are too much polished for me. You seem to be quite skillful, but the music doesn't excite me. You know, let's take isle - recording is lo-fi, but I can feel human beings there; your stuff appears to me as well-sculpted statue without feelings. I would not say it sucks, I only find somewhat soulless.

johnny
how long are your shows?
the first song sounds like snorting into water
the second song - metalworks?
the third one - I don't even know.
You should hook up with David Lynch

teh!!!bolly
I am production and sound engineering cave-man, so not much input there. The song didn't insult me, though. It actually reminds me of Corganist's (?) Rocket variation.

deer canada's turn:

deer canada - comes a time
http://www.sendspace.com/file/23zuou

deer canada - jedna dva tri
http://www.sendspace.com/file/5d4qdz
(this is a collage of about 18 different recent Netphorian songs. DeviousJ and Sleeper contributed probably as much as me. I don't expect a reaction on every piece, I am more interested if you find there something interesting or just say it's all bullshit. thanks.

this thread is a reciprocity thing, right?

Last edited by RopeyLopey : 06-03-2007 at 04:18 PM.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:11 PM   #32
shannon
Minion of Satan

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristHimself!
ok cool i hope you like some of it.. im gonna hit the sack for now, shattered.
'warm and wonderful' & 'ours' are awesome!

Old 05-21-2007, 07:14 PM   #33
???
Minion of Satan

i really want to hear some original music by deviousj and lds. also monkeyfritters is blowing his own horn alot lately so i think he should contribute too.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:16 PM   #34
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ???
i really want to hear some original music by deviousj and lds. also monkeyfritters is blowing his own horn alot lately so i think he should contribute too.
I am not sure if I am allowed to share information which track *******s DeviousJ. You can guess!

Old 05-21-2007, 07:25 PM   #35
???
Minion of Satan

paul i think you've got a good approach to music in that you always try to do something different, but i think some of the songs are bit hit-and-miss. always interesting, nonetheless. "this is the woobs" is hilarious. "my heart bleeds for you" is evocative of a turtle head poking out. in a good way.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:29 PM   #36
Luke de Spa
someone more...punk rock?

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ???
i'm not blowing my own horn, i'm into sound engineering. are you a sound engineer?

Old 05-21-2007, 07:31 PM   #37
shannon
Minion of Satan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RopeyLopey
deer canada's turn: http://www.sendspace.com/file/foyoc2
(one original and two embellished songs, originally by David Pajo)

songs ******* contributions from the following Netphorians:
pink_ribbon_scars, Oblivious, Obscured01, DeviousJ, sleeper, barden, cork_soaker, Ropes
i enjoyed all three of these... but especially jonathan whitehead

Old 05-21-2007, 07:33 PM   #38
???
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke de Spa
i'm not blowing my own horn, i'm into sound engineering. are you a sound engineer?
i'm into a recordings. do you have any sound engineer?

Old 05-21-2007, 07:33 PM   #39
Luke de Spa

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

nope, but i'm looking for one

Old 05-21-2007, 07:34 PM   #40
???
Minion of Satan

what's this life for.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:41 PM   #41
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Thumbs up

Quote:

deer canada's turn: http://www.sendspace.com/file/foyoc2
(one original and two embellished songs, originally by David Pajo)

songs ******* contributions from the following Netphorians:
pink_ribbon_scars, Oblivious, Obscured01, DeviousJ, sleeper, barden, cork_soaker, Ropes

this thread is a reciprocity thing, right?
thanks for your review! boutros bubba is where it's really at though! your music fucking sucks!!!

(tomorrow i'll listen and post my thoughts, too fucking tired right now. but thanks again!)

Old 05-21-2007, 08:27 PM   #42
???
Minion of Satan

ah, what the heck. ok, i've got some tunes. although this stuff isn't really representative of my own music, i also write/play with my girlfriend so i guess we're a band. the song ideas are mostly hers but i seem to end up finishing most of them...i don't normally feel like there's a lot of room for my guitar in there, so no "izzle's groundbreaking riffs" present here really. i like what we do though, i think we sound a bit mellon collie-ish in a few places.

note: sound quality is pretty ropey 'cause we recorded live into an mp3 player. also, our drummer doesn't play drums.

fire away.

www.myspace.com/momerathsoxford

Old 05-21-2007, 08:42 PM   #43
Luke de Spa

okay, here are some songs

building boats in the basement
dog days
inside out
myth physics
peregrine
where the gods sleep

will listen to other stuff posted later today

Old 05-21-2007, 08:44 PM   #44
shannon
Minion of Satan

lds, i heard your song dog days a while back... it's probably on every mix CD i have ever made

Old 05-21-2007, 08:46 PM   #45
shannon
Minion of Satan

wow that sounds creepy

Old 05-21-2007, 09:06 PM   #46
???
Minion of Satan

lds you're pretty good. all i would say is that your songs could have a bit more of an edge to them- they're decent overall and you have a good voice but the songs seem quite...delicate? what they have in agility, they lack in power, so to speak...also, the vocal melody to dog days reminds me a lot of "the one i love" by rufus wainwright, if you know it. keep it up though.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:25 PM   #47
shannon
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj
COMPLETELY NEW LINK HAVEN'T POSTED THIS BEFORE ATTENTION ATTENTION

http://www.sendspace.com/file/t8cwcv

le crapface

Old 05-21-2007, 09:27 PM   #48
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ???
hah, that is actually quite sympathetic stuff, isle. You should focus on sing-along songs for children, your music sounds quite suitable for that. I am not sure if you take it as a compliment, but I really don't mean it in a bad way.

Quote:

you know I still keep the demo of the song and I prefer it to this. It is more raw, real.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:51 PM   #49
COG
Apocalyptic Poster

http://www.myspace.com/justanothercog

my opinion is coming up

Last edited by COG : 05-21-2007 at 10:36 PM.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:52 PM   #50
cork_soaker
full of longing

here's a link to three songs of mine.
quiet, acoustic/piano stuff
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ka26l2

Old 05-21-2007, 10:03 PM   #51
shannon
Minion of Satan

oh my god, i remember crying one night when i was listening to spitfire ships... when i got my new computer, it wouldnt transfer to my itunes from my ipod and i totally forgot to ask you to send it to me again!

Old 05-21-2007, 10:10 PM   #52
shannon
Minion of Satan

i love you nathaniel

Old 05-21-2007, 10:16 PM   #53
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by COG
Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_soaker
here's a link to three songs of mine.
quiet, acoustic/piano stuff
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ka26l2
hi guys, I actually think it was a good idea by isle, that whoever posts, he also offers their opinion about the already posted stuff in the thread. I guess we all are interested in the opinion/criticism of others. I mean it is not necessary to do it right now, but if you got around it sometime later on, it would be cool.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:23 PM   #54
COG
Apocalyptic Poster

sorry, didn't read that part

I will do it post haste

Old 05-21-2007, 10:24 PM   #55
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
hi guys, I actually think it was a good idea by isle, that whoever posts, he also offers their opinion about the already posted stuff in the thread. I guess we all are interested in the opinion/criticism of others. I mean it is not necessary to do it right now, but if you got around it sometime later on, it would be cool.
oh, alright. i missed that.... i'll gladly offer my opinions; i need to do some more listening, though.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:47 PM   #56
brendo_91
Minion of Satan

I will come back to this thread, but I'm kinda busy at the moment.

http://www.myspace.com/stolenidentityband

Old 05-21-2007, 10:58 PM   #57
COG
Apocalyptic Poster

Alright, first off. I listened to ChristHimselfs while I waited for the first 2 to download.

I stopped at "Brian, why do you curse my heart"

I really like your music. I think I like the instrumental stuff better than the ones with words, however, I really like your voice, it just seems like the instrumental ones are better thought out musically.

I really like your use of synth, and the spacey guitar tone is pretty cool. That's all I can think of right now, but I will defiantly be going back and listening to the rest of it. This is the kinda stuff I could go to sleep too (and that's a good thing).

EDIT: I lied, listened to two more songs, liked them very much.

FURTHER EDITING:

Listened to the Loggerhead stuff, and I found it to be quite chill, and while I don't listen to ambient stuff like that too often, I thought it was good. (I didn't really listen all the way through, but I will later, I get the feeling it's something that maybe needs to be experienced from start to finish to get the total effect.)

also listened to le joustra - goes to da maxx!, quite a lot of variety, and I enjoyed all the songs.

I'm not just saying I like everything, you guys just all write cool music.

also, listening to deer canada right now, very cool. I don't know about the spoken word thing, but the music is pretty cool.

Last edited by COG : 05-21-2007 at 11:56 PM.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:16 AM   #58
COG
Apocalyptic Poster

Talking

Quote:

dog days
inside out
myth physics
peregrine
where the gods sleep

will listen to other stuff posted later today
I like your music Luke (if that IS your real name). I've always liked your music. . .

EDIT: Since other people are uploading albums, I will upload some tomorrow.

Last edited by COG : 05-22-2007 at 12:59 AM.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:59 AM   #59
Luke de Spa

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********
here is a thing i did under the name loggerhead earlier in the year using manipulated samples of my voice recorded to two separate cassette tapes, then manipulated further with analog effects as it was re-recorded. two tracks, about 30mins each. very meditative.

loggerhead - help me be good
this is pretty interesting. psych thriller soundtrack. i don't think i'm in the right frame of mind to sit through the whole thing right now, though (@ 12 minutes of part 1)

Old 05-22-2007, 01:31 AM   #60
Luke de Spa

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj
COMPLETELY NEW LINK HAVEN'T POSTED THIS BEFORE ATTENTION ATTENTION

http://www.sendspace.com/file/t8cwcv

le crapface
dude ARE YOU A SOUND ENGINEER?

i like this a lot. some of the tracks feel a little repetitive, but there's loads of great ideas in here. favourite stuff: that dissonant bell (?) motif in "drug ghosts"; all of "memory of a happy childhood"; latter half of "lazy journalist" (esp. the fuzz bass + guitar squalls)

i couldn't get the individual song to download; sendspace free service exceeded or something