Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2015, 09:51 AM   #721
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I watched the first 2 episodes of Jessica Jones last night.

It didn't grab me right away.
The pace was all over the place, and it seems the show isn't quite sure of what it wants to be yet. It seems they are almost ashamed of showing she has powers and what those powers are (i'm unfamiliar with the comic, so I have no idea right now).

Also, I found Krysten Ritter's acting too flat, seems very one note.

I'll watch a few more episodes to see if the show picks up, so far it's disappointing.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #722
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

well in the comics shes a former superhero with some sort of PTSD. Don't know if that was presented in the show yet. But anyway, she is reluctant to use her powers for a while. Her powers are pretty standard, superstrength, can fly and a fair amount of resistance to harm.

but yeah to me the trailers didn't make it look interesting.

Hopefully the luke cage and iron fist shows keep it as good as DD. I'm worried DD might have been a fluke. Maybe even the second season won't be that great.

But the powers things might also be because it's not a high budget show, i mean a lot of the choices in the DD show like how it leaned more heavily on "realism" than most (probably any at this point) superhero adaptation were partly because of budget constraints. It worked in its favor though. Even if part of me was disappointed at first to not see DD go about the city flipping and somersaulting and swinging everywhere (on the other hand the affleck film took this to some extremes like how apparently he can dive bomb for several floors and without even attempting to break his fall, land fine). They didn't have this because it would have meant a fair amount of CGI.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:35 PM   #723
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

i'm on to the last three episodes. the series is a bit of a slow burn. they've done a good job. ritter does well playing JJ. in the first half she's pretty seriously fucked up and self destructive. but she eventully gets rolling. i think it also fits nicely along side of Daredevil.

David Tennant is great too. He's a great sociopath

Luke Cage comes and goes in the series. He's not, at least this first season, as big of a part of JJ's life as he is in the comics. this season is obviously the origin story for JJ and not Cage. They did cast him well. It'll be interesting to see what they do with his show next year.

They also introduce Nuke. Which i didn't see coming.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:12 AM   #724
Mo
Immortal

As always I'm late two the party, but I just watched all of Mr. Robot yesterday, and was blown away by it. And apparently season two is only supposed to get darker. Great stuff.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:20 PM   #725
Mo
Immortal

I've been letting NewsRadio run in the background while studying lately, kind of like a 90s sitcom white noise machine. A decent show, up until Hartman's death.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:36 PM   #726
D.
Consume my pants.

Starting up Parks and Rec on Netflix. Gonna binge this shiiiit all Decemberrrr.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:01 AM   #727
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I barely got through the intro to the first episode of Sense8 before losing all interest.

Does that show get good at some point or is it more LOST style mystery that never gets resolved?

Old 11-26-2015, 09:33 AM   #728
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
i'm watching this: bevergem
it's subtitled in dutch. lol!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMIWqGm6l7A
i really enjoyed this series. it's finished now.
instant classic.
http://www.canvas.be/video/bevergem

Old 11-26-2015, 01:07 PM   #729
Aeroplane
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
watching Jessica Jones right now

is good
Daredevil is MUCH better.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #730
bignothing
Demi-God

That's disappointing to hear. I've been halfheartedly trying to finish Daredevil for months now. Thought JJ would be better, if only for Tennant?

LaBelle, it does not get much better. Each Sense8 episode has like 10% of relevant/cool stuff going on, everything else is filler. Lots of pretty scenery though?

Old 11-26-2015, 01:27 PM   #731
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplane View Post
Daredevil is MUCH better.
hav'ent checked jj yet but id think that's a given. I doubt if the cage and iron fist shows can be as good either. Fuck i doubt if DD season 2 can be as good....

Old 11-26-2015, 03:27 PM   #732
Aeroplane
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
hav'ent checked jj yet but id think that's a given. I doubt if the cage and iron fist shows can be as good either. Fuck i doubt if DD season 2 can be as good....
I'm optimistic about DD season 2 (though I do fear they're introducing too may characters in one season) and cautiously optimistic about Iron Fist. After watching JJ, I'm not really looking forward to Luke Cage.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:35 PM   #733
run2pee
Minion of Satan

The intro for With Bob and David is nuts! I'm guessing must have been the same people who did the Tim and Eric intro.

So far my favorite was the Better Roots bit, only seen the 1st two episodes tho

Old 11-26-2015, 07:51 PM   #734
buzzard
Minion of Satan

They really nailed that one.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:46 PM   #735
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I've been watching Jane the Virgin and laughing quite a bit.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:34 PM   #736
Order 66
Socialphobic

the leftovers is probably the best show on right now. nobody's watching it so i'm guessing it's getting the axe.. bah

Old 11-26-2015, 11:40 PM   #737
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Fargo gets my vote for the best show currently airing.

It actually saddens me just a little that I'm heading off on a trip only a couple of days ahead of the finale.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:45 PM   #738
fuzzyroes
Banned

That shows actually good? The movies one of my all time favorites, but the idea of knocking off a movie with a show based on it kinda felt like a lame cash-grab idea to me and it's deterred me from ever checking it out.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:08 AM   #739
redbreegull

I thought the same but I have heard two other people rave about it. I think one of them also said it's the best thing on television.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:13 AM   #740
buzzard
Minion of Satan

I felt pretty awkward about it, too, when the first season was announced. Similar logic, really, being a huge fan of the Coen brothers' work.

The first season was generally enjoyable, but kind of all over the place in tone and never quite lived up to its name despite the brilliant work of Billy Bob Thornton. This second season, however, has been awesome and I genuinely look forward to each successive episode.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:27 AM   #741
strokous
Pledge

The first season of The Leftovers was such an aimless mess i don't even feel like checking out the second one (even though i've been hearing good things about it).

To me The Knick is definitely the best thing on tv right now (and it's not just me saying it) but WHY did it have to air on Cinemax? The ratings are shit at the moment and they probably won't cancel soon because of Soderbergh but still.

On another note i'm pretty bitter that the 3rd season of Twin Peaks got pushed back to 2017.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:26 AM   #742
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i know i'm probably the only one left who still watches The Walking Dead, and this season might have finally persuaded me to give it up.

after the season started out super strong, with 2 legitimately great episodes (inc killing off a very central character in the latter), the rest has been absolute bollocks, and the last episode has revealed that that central character was not actually killed, in what was the biggest cop out i have ever seen on any show or film in my life.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #743
Order 66
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokous View Post
The first season of The Leftovers was such an aimless mess i don't even feel like checking out the second one (even though i've been hearing good things about it).
the second season is almost like a completely different show, for what it's worth. i almost quit through the first season but it more or less paid off in the end imo

really depends what kind of tolerance you have for LOST-type of shows in regards to payoff. even if the show gets a proper ending i don't expect it "to all come together"

Old 11-28-2015, 02:30 PM   #744
Order 66
Socialphobic

mkay man in the high castle is gud

kinda meh on it at first... book was a cool idea but i thought the show took it a little too seriously at first. and i thought casting mid-twenty somethings as the mains was kind of lazy but the suspension ratchets up and next thing you know you're pretty glued to the whole thing

midway through it. feel the binge coming on and i guess i can rule out getting anything done this weekend

Old 11-28-2015, 02:52 PM   #745
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

watching jessica jones. Still don't like Ritter but the show seems good so far otherwise so i'm trying to look past her..

And i havent watched eseaosn 2 of fargo yet but seaosn 1 is one of he best shows of the last few years no question.

Lefotvers yeah, last episode finally got VERY lost-like. But lost fell apart at the actual resolution part so....

Old 11-29-2015, 12:20 AM   #746
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokous View Post
On another note i'm pretty bitter that the 3rd season of Twin Peaks got pushed back to 2017.
I was sad, but I seriously doubted we were getting it next year for awhile. After almost not getting it at all, I wasn't too disappointed to wait a bit longer. Really season 3 has to be of unbelievably high quality or the legacy of the show will be tarnished, so I can wait.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:43 AM   #747
bignothing
Demi-God

The Leftovers is easily my favorite right now. I've never seen Lost (is this really not worth watching?), so I'm not sure how much disappointment I should be preparing myself for, but I don't really care about a "resolution." I hope there isn't one, an explanation why only some people were taken and where they went isn't the reason why I'm watching. Fargo is good, but I'm not nearly as invested. I liked the "death" talk on the second to last episode, that was pretty great.

I've been watching The X-Files for several months and I'm only up to season 4, there's so much to watch. It's been fun, but I was hoping I'd be kind of obsessed with it by now?

Looking forward to seeing Jessica Jones and The Man in the High Castle, but too little time for now.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:18 AM   #748
bignothing
Demi-God

I mean...

Old 11-29-2015, 08:41 AM   #749
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

So I had to stop watching Jane the Virgin because Rockjaw McHotelOwner Dreamboat, was just too custom built for all my (not so secret) desires..and coming back to earth with my husband sitting on the sofa in his underpants asking casually if I'd like to rub his crotch for good luck, was just too brutal.

My husband was only slightly offended. His reply was "Guess I'll have to finish it by myself, then." Which is kind of weird. He was raised Catholic though, so I think his fantasy is probably diligent, sweet, courteous virgins who never hiss at their males partners and say horrible things to them.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:05 PM   #750
Mo
Immortal

Am currently watching The Mummy while re-installing Gnome, and I totally understand why my eleven-year-old self was so madly in love with Rachel Weisz.