Default Walt Mink & Billy

Margin.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Do you remember the band Walt Mink?

I just stumbled upon this story >>>

Quote:
During 1991-92, the Caroline label released a pair of excellent debuts -- hard-rocking but hooky records with whiny-voiced but guitar-gifted frontmen. Each of them showed how Generation X had digested the independent ethos of '70s punk as well as a good deal of that decade's hard-rock pyrotechnics.

One of those groups went on to sell millions of records and top the charts, then quickly flame out artistically (and otherwise) when its lead singer started pulling glittery "Zero" t-shirts over his shaved-bald head. (Have a guess yet?) The other went on to virtually nothing -- not even a measly parking-lot stage at Lollapalooza.

One of those records was, of course, Smashing Pumpkins' Gish. The other was an excellent buried treasure, Walt Mink's Miss Happiness.

From listening to both, you'd be tempted to predict Walt Mink for success. While Smashing Pumpkins seemed trapped in a hazy psychedelia, Walt Mink was positively wired, with smart hooks and radiating energy -- the best of power-pop and punk in one.

Unfortunately, the band hasn't been active for years (check their website), although a few fans still keep the message board from descending into endless pharma-spams. Also, check out this link for details on an attempt to do Walt Mink justice with a film documentary.
Source:
http://www.allmusic.com/blog/post/bu...ure-walt-mink/

Quote:
Walt Mink the Movie

When I Googled myself recently, I found my name listed on the blog for the Walt Mink documentary. If you don’t know the band Walt Mink, this won’t be so interesting, but it was strange and good to be transported to the past. I dropped out of college after my freshman year spent in Portland, OR at Lewis and Clark College (Monica Lewinsky’s alma mater, though I think she arrived the year after I left.) A friend of mine was going to college at Macalaster and playing music in Minneapolis, MN so I thought I’d try it there.

He was my brother’s friend really, and he went on to be one of the best drummers in the known universe, playing for Beck, REM, and other records you’ve probably heard. His name’s Joey Waronker and I went to his wedding with my then girlfriend and I actually got to share a cab with Beck! After that, my star-struck girlfriend called it the "Beck wedding." Sounds like I’m name dropping, and maybe I am, but these celebrity moments are few and far between.

So I moved in Minneapolis and lived a slacker’s dream. 100 dollar rent, cheap used music stores, many other slackers. If it wasn’t for the snow it would be one of the best cities to live. When I lived there, there was a blizzard on Halloween and it didn’t stop until May.

I lived in a house with a bunch of other musicians. I played bass in a band of my own. All told I think this was one of the best times of my life. 1991, the year punk broke. I remember "Nevermind" coming out. I got to see them at a 1000 seat venue for the "Nevermind" tour. Chris Novaselic did all the talking. I actually saw them for the "Bleach" tour as well.

Walt Mink were the band in the house that were destined to be rock stars. It seems in my life that I have been close to bands that were destined to be the next big thing. Walt Mink sounded like the Smashing Pumpkins before they existed. Beatle-esque with big guitars, incredible amazing guitar riffs. I remember being with John Kimbrough, the lead guitarist/singer/songwriter, when he listened to the Smashing Pumpkins for the first time, and him saying, "He beat me to it." That was probably one of the most depressing moments of his life. Billy Corgan was asked what songs should go on Walt Mink’s CD. He told the record company to leave off the two best songs. I guess he was threatened, which means I don’t trust Billy Corgan. He basically sabotaged his rival.

But this was JK’s fault as well. He let the record company decide what songs should be on the record, what the record cover should be--he was so eager to be a rock star.
Maybe people could read this. He also had this chipmunk-like voice--like the chorus of "Ziggy Stardust" except more so, a lot more so. It didn’t sound like it came from his macho gut like Eddie Veder or Chris Cornell. "Walt Mink" isn’t the greatest band name either.

The band I was in, The Delores Haze (Lolita’s real name), had the same problem. The lead songwriter, Eve, was so eager to be successful when she started a band in NYC that she turned the distortion way up because it was radio-friendly. It ran totally counter to her songwriting. She’s another person who’s immensely talented who never made it. Finally, I was in a band called Montag led by a songwriter who really should be the next Lou Reed and Elvis Costello. I’m not just saying that. I’m serious. Again, our band never got a break. There was also an issue with drugs and fear-of-success which wasn’t so helpful. Perhaps there are thousands of stories like this.

Just getting down this moment from my life. Walt Mink are a good story for a documentary: the band that should have been rock stars. My second novel, "Dishwasher," is about washing dishes at a cheap Italian restaurant and living in that house.

When I Google myself I also find gravestones and some guy who loves fireworks.
Source:
http://hbaum.blogspot.de/2005/01/walt-mink-movie.html

Billy told the record company to leave off "Disappear" and "Everything Worthwhile". These songs were not used for that album. They were released on later albums eventually.

Now listen to "Disappear" & "Everything Worthwhile" >>>

Old 03-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
T&T
Socialphobic

why would the record company do what billy told them about some other band?

Old 03-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #4
Kahlo

I'd agree with that - why would execs listen to BC around that time? Seems like an easy (and cheap narrative) to explain away your own failure.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy leaves his best songs off his own stupid albums

Old 03-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
GLOWer
Demi-God

i'm going to be a dick and also state the obnoxiously self evident truth that if those were the two best songs then they were never going to top the Pumpkins or alt rock radio.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #7
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo View Post
I'd agree with that - why would execs listen to BC around that time? Seems like an easy (and cheap narrative) to explain away your own failure.
yeah i think one of the other indicators that this is more likely what's going on her is how they complain about the singer's voice and the band name, BOTH issues with Smashing Pumpkins who they seem to think "stole" their fame. Not enough room for big guitars, weird voices and stupid band names? No, that's just how things break out.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #8
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
although a few fans still keep the message board from descending into endless pharma-spams
also this is a HILARIOUS parallel

Old 03-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #9
Trotskilicious
Banned

lol it's jim dial's kid, too.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #10
The Elliott
Pledge

Guess who their drummer at the time was...
http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/walt_mink

Old 03-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #11
Barry swedgin
Pledge

Those Walt Mink songs are shite.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #12
Kahlo

Pure shite man. If they think that those are hidden gems they are kidding themselves.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #13
Space Girl 1979
Ownz

2011 Walter Mink reunion > 20xx Smashing Pumpkins reunion

Last edited by Space Girl 1979 : 03-28-2014 at 04:39 PM.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:33 PM   #14
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Girl 1979 View Post
2011 Walter Mink reunion > 20xx Smashing Pumpkins reunion

That's when Zach Danziger was in the band...awesome drummer.

>>>

Old 03-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #15
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

I like them, but they remind more of Dismemberment Plan than SP.

Why don't we merge both boards? I mean, at least we all agree that BC has made some bad decisions...