Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #91
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
If I had to go out on a limb and speculate maybe SP is finished as a "band" so BC can continue his synth projects under the SP name with additional help from Jeff on guitar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
If he keeps going with synths I think he'll mostly rely on help from his studio engineer, what'shisname Nikola. And then Jeff can shredd along here and there. Future fucking Embrace round 2.
These are starting to look like highly plausible guesses given Billy's seemingly sudden and intense interest in noise music and collecting modulators. Besides tea and wrestling, it's all he fucking tweets about now.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:30 PM   #92
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

It's funny...because Billy used to complain, not too long ago, about how music these days is just people making noises on their laptops.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #93
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Airplane Mode makes a huge difference.

Someone go to DJ Ivory Tower's set tonight and ask him about Musique Conrète vs. noise music.
Or rather, what if anything does he think distinguishes the two from each other, and where does he think his project fits between them.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #94
adamdanger!
Pledge

The announcement shit is getting old. It's like people who tell others their New Year's resolution: when you speak what you intend to do out loud, your brain feels like you accomplished it, releases some euphoria chemicals and then you never seek to accomplish it because you already got the good feels.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #95
Tuscaloosa
Demi-God

analogy clap

Old 03-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #96
dustrock
debunked!

Location: Part-alien, part-human, part-robot, part-star-crossed lover and part-mercury filled

Studio version of siddhartha

Old 03-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #97
Kreatorkind
Demi-God

Quote:
Airplane Mode makes a huge difference.

Someone go to DJ Ivory Tower's set tonight and ask him about Musique Conrète vs. noise music.
Where's Matt Kreatorkind when you need him, come on, you know you fancy some tea.
I'm going tonight... what should I ask?

Old 03-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #98
Kreatorkind
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
It's funny...because Billy used to complain, not too long ago, about how music these days is just people making noises on their laptops.
I think that criticism is the fact that bands used to have to spend thousands of dollars to make an album, and now a schmo like me can make an album on a laptop... and then pitchfork sucks their dicks for not going into a "proper" studio... the end result is everything is lost in the wash of millions of schmos releasing music and no "gatekeepers" to filter out the unworthy.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:06 PM   #99
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
Or rather, what if anything does he think distinguishes the two from each other, and where does he think his project fits between them.
I wonder about that too. There are very subtle differences, if any, between what musique concrète did and what was done before in noise music with founds sounds and noise machines. The only real difference is the change in technology. Why even call what he's doing musique concrète? What's the purpose of trying to align himself with a dated movement that refers to a very specific group of people?

Old 03-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #100
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreatorkind View Post
I'm going tonight... what should I ask?
Ask him if Mike is still in the band.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #101
Kreatorkind
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
Ask him if Mike is still in the band.
I'd be surprised if he is... there's been a lot "unsaid" when things have been said.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #102
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

and/or is Jimmy back. Dare you.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #103
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Might as well put us out of our misery before Monday eh...

Old 03-22-2014, 06:15 PM   #104
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I'd be surprised if he is... there's been a lot "unsaid" when things have been said.
Come on...be a man and ask him...

Old 03-22-2014, 06:25 PM   #105
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I think that criticism is the fact that bands used to have to spend thousands of dollars to make an album, and now a schmo like me can make an album on a laptop... and then pitchfork sucks their dicks for not going into a "proper" studio... the end result is everything is lost in the wash of millions of schmos releasing music and no "gatekeepers" to filter out the unworthy.
Sure, I understand that, but isn't that part of the evolution, or failure, of the music industry? The new generation just took advantage of the climate they found themselves in. Besides, music and technology evolves over time so something was bound to change.

I kind of, to a point, agree with your last point but then we get into the realm of music elitism. Noise music in particular was historically usually made by people with little to no instrumental music skills. I can see it from their (pitchfork's) point of view too, there was plenty of shit being released from proper studios versus very talented people who didn't get the chance or recognition. The roles just reversed.

As for the "gatekeepers," that's the role critics were supposed to play, and some still do a great job, but the internet has changed all of that. We've entered a perpetual realm of "like" or downright ignorance instead of real discourse and critique. I personally think that's part of the problem, that a lot of people and the new generation of critics can't decipher between high art and pop culture, and somehow pop culture ended up as the new high art. Still, for whatever reasons, Billy has backtracked and embraced being one of the "schmoes" (albeit one with very expensive equipment).

Old 03-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #106
Kreatorkind
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
Sure, I understand that, but isn't that part of the evolution, or failure, of the music industry? The new generation just took advantage of the climate they found themselves in. Besides, music and technology evolves over time so something was bound to change.

I kind of, to a point, agree with your last point but then we get into the realm of music elitism. Noise music in particular was historically usually made by people with little to no instrumental music skills. I can see it from their (pitchfork's) point of view too, there was plenty of shit being released from proper studios versus very talented people who didn't get the chance or recognition. The roles just reversed.

As for the "gatekeepers," that's the role critics were supposed to play, and some still do a great job, but the internet has changed all of that. We've entered a perpetual realm of "like" or downright ignorance instead of real discourse and critique. I personally think that's part of the problem, that a lot of people and the new generation of critics can't decipher between high art and pop culture, and somehow pop culture ended up as the new high art. Still, for whatever reasons, Billy has backtracked and embraced being one of the "schmoes" (albeit one with very expensive equipment).
Absolutely... it's a matter of just because something may be more accessible, it's easier, and therefore not worth as much as the hard way.

I see it the same way as if someone gave everybody an easel, brushes, canvas and paint... then denigrating the art produced, simply because the medium was easier to come by. Any asshole with crayola water colors isn't a genius, but it doesn't mean that people can't create something amazing with an easy to obtain media.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #107
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah, I agree. While I do appreciate his perspective, I can't say I agreed all that much with Billy's assessment of the current state of music and the industry. I thought he was being really unfair, actually. He was able to reach the level of success he did because of the ideal circumstances he found himself in during the early 90s. The new generation is just doing the same thing, but without the billion dollar record companies behind them, and I think there's a lot of innovative art and great music out there still being made. I don't see why he constantly has to look back to the pre-70s for guidance, and he's doing the same thing with his foray into musique concrète now. Noise music has come a long fucking way since the 40s.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:35 PM   #108
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
the end result is everything is lost in the wash of millions of schmos releasing music and no "gatekeepers" to filter out the unworthy.
who needs "gatekeepers" though? filter it out yourself; that's the great thing about so many schmos making music by themselves with no promotion/label push. you can find your own little gem of a band and more often than not, you can talk directly to them and encourage them to keep at it. come out to their little shows and make friends with them.

in just the few blogs i check out, there's a flood of stuff. i can now discern what i feel is worth a download apropos of anyone needing to tell me to listen to anything. i can decide what's worth my time.

back in billy's time, unless you really lived somewhere you could search out a little niche, you had to settle for radio music or what's on mtv. that's what i did, stuck in suburbia, i only knew about what the "gatekeepers" wanted me to know about.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:45 PM   #109
D.
Consume my pants.

that wasn't necessarily directed at you, just spitballin' here

Old 03-23-2014, 04:35 AM   #110
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Jimmy's back.

In pog form.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #111
T&T
Socialphobic

only 24 hours before the big announcement.
I'm having an SP party in wait.
only playing SP music
and dressing up like SP members.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #112
Kreatorkind
Demi-God

Quote:
So Matt Kreatorkind, we're waiting for your report
He was pretty tight-lipped... he wouldn't give it away.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #113
Shallowed
Braindead

Confirmed: Jimmy is returning.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #114
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Now it has come to the point where anything less than a Jimmy return is going to be a disappointment to the fans.

I still have some doubts. I thought I read somewhere recently that Jimmy was working on new complex material. If he does come back it seems like it's going to be a more casual affair.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #115
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
He was pretty tight-lipped... he wouldn't give it away.
How did it go down?
What did you ask him exactly and how did he react?

Old 03-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #116
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

But Mike's Twitter bio currently says: "Drummer for Smashing Pumpkins"

Old 03-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #117
T&T
Socialphobic

who's jimmy?
how does he compare to mike? Will he be capable of playing the Ociania songs properly?

Old 03-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #118
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
But Mike's Twitter bio currently says: "Drummer for Smashing Pumpkins"
Of course it says that. He will never remove that from his bio.
Do you think "Drummer for Bearcubbin" would impress people?

Old 03-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #119
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm pretty sure it didn't mention SP at all when I last looked, so it must have been changed very recently.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #120
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

when was the last time any of bills announcements included anything even close to the level of "Jimmy's Back".

Not since the reunion.