Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2018, 10:29 AM   #7951
ilikeplanets
Socialphobic
 
ilikeplanets's Avatar
 
Location: Ignore List
Posts: 12,578
Default

Super obsessed with shiny royal blue nail polish recently

 
ilikeplanets is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:32 AM   #7952
ilikeplanets
Socialphobic
 
ilikeplanets's Avatar
 
Location: Ignore List
Posts: 12,578
Default

Also kind of marveling at how many tiny babies have their ears pierce. My daughter is 11 months old now (holy shit) and I would still absolutely not do it. Maybe when she's about 3..

 
ilikeplanets is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #7953
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead
 
teh b0lly!!1's Avatar
 
Location: PROWLING THE BADLANDS
Posts: 15,848
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
my work story is much worse and indicative of some real problems

ryan just got bossed around by his boss
getting bossed around by bosses is pretty soul destroying though

just being honest

 
teh b0lly!!1 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:53 AM   #7954
TuralyonW3
Immortal
 
TuralyonW3's Avatar
 
Posts: 25,107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
getting bossed around by bosses is pretty soul destroying though

just being honest
it's true

 
TuralyonW3 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:10 AM   #7955
smashingjj
mother rater
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: calm boy
Posts: 30,855
Default

My pain and sadness is more painful and sad than your pain and sadness

 
smashingjj is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #7956
vixnix
Socialphobic
 
vixnix's Avatar
 
Location: pulitzer surprise motherfucker
Posts: 11,186
Default

The purpose of the grant proposal is to secure the grant. So they'll put a name on the front that will give the proposal the best chance of being accepted. Maybe, nobody cares who actually wrote the grant. You get a bit obsessed with your work being recognised. This is a lot like the puzzle gluing.

I guess if you feel a sense of ownership over your work, and desire positive attention and recognition for it, maybe try like pole dancing or stand up comedy or something, the feedback will be more immediate.

After making that suggestion I just went back and found that yes, the recording my friend sent me, of my first and failed attempt at stand up, is still in my email inbox. I can't listen to it tonight, because I already feel terrible about everything I've managed to not achieve with my life. But you know. It's mine and nobody can take that away from me.

Try some other stuff, maybe.

 
vixnix is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:09 PM   #7957
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
yo soy el mejor's Avatar
 
Location: all over the Internet
Posts: 41,090
Default

i don't know if you've ever used a grant submission portal or submitted one yourself, but the title of the person doesn't matter, just the content. lots of smaller non-profits looking for funding don't even have an official grant writer. any foundation worth a shit doesn't look at a name to decide whether to fund. what happened to me is straight up plagiarism in the truest sense of the word.

i'm not so easily discouraged, though, and don't intend on stripping or giving up and joining a church band just yet.

in hindsight it was a learning experience of sorts in that i learned to be wary of "ambitious" white women and act accordingly. i should have asked a lot more questions and gotten some stuff in writing. next time.

 
yo soy el mejor is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:13 PM   #7958
ilikeplanets
Socialphobic
 
ilikeplanets's Avatar
 
Location: Ignore List
Posts: 12,578
Default

the real issue here is what kind of asshole thinks it's okay to pierce a newborn's ears?! i mean, who is even doing the piercing? it's probably some niece or nephew. very irresponsible!

 
ilikeplanets is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #7959
LaBelle
Minion of Satan
 
LaBelle's Avatar
 
Location: The baddest of asses
Posts: 9,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
the real issue here is what kind of asshole thinks it's okay to pierce a newborn's ears?! i mean, who is even doing the piercing? it's probably some niece or nephew. very irresponsible!
The risk of infection is probably huge on a newborn that does seem irresponsible at least.

My mom didn't pierce my ears as a child and I never wanted it until I was in 3rd grade and all the girls in my class wore earrings and would constantly ridicule me because of that.

 
LaBelle is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:52 PM   #7960
smashingjj
mother rater
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: calm boy
Posts: 30,855
Default

Only two more days until i meet up with yo soy! We're gonna have so much fun together!

 
smashingjj is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:57 PM   #7961
smashingjj
mother rater
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: calm boy
Posts: 30,855
Default

Can't believe she offered to let us stay in her house for two weeks (!) after we had all these arguments on Phoria. She is so forgiving.

Last edited by smashingjj : 07-17-2018 at 05:33 PM.

 
smashingjj is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:59 PM   #7962
Disco King
Minion of Satan
 
Disco King's Avatar
 
Location: Banned
Posts: 5,098
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
My pain and sadness is more painful and sad than your pain and sadness
Your pain is no credential here, it's just the shadow, shadow of my wound.

 
Disco King is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:34 PM   #7963
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
yo soy el mejor's Avatar
 
Location: all over the Internet
Posts: 41,090
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
Can't believe she offered to let us stay in her house for two weeks (!) after we had all these arguments on Phoria. She is so forgiving.
i could use the rent you offered, tbh.

 
yo soy el mejor is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:59 PM   #7964
smashingjj
mother rater
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: calm boy
Posts: 30,855
Default

Lauren, i've offered it literally four times and you kept declining, i'm not sure how to reply to this to be honest

 
smashingjj is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:54 PM   #7965
Shallowed
Braindead
 
Shallowed's Avatar
 
Location: my parent's house in a shitty backwater country town
Posts: 15,859
Default

Hilarity ensues

 
Shallowed is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:53 PM   #7966
vixnix
Socialphobic
 
vixnix's Avatar
 
Location: pulitzer surprise motherfucker
Posts: 11,186
Default

At my elder kid's high school (which he starts next year) it's mandatory to take one modern language and I asked him if he would continue with Mandarin (because he's started that already, both in Sydney and now here) and he surprised me by saying he actually wants to switch, to Japanese. When I asked him why, he said because he loves Japan. And when I pressed him on that, he said it was because he loves Japanese food and Pokemon.

I mean WHAT. GIMME A FUCKING BREAK. I'm like...you don't like Japanese food, you like bento and ramen. That's like someone saying they like Chinese food because they like fried rice and dumplings. He just gave this goofy laugh and was like yeah but I still love Japan. I'm like YOU'VE NEVER BEEN TO JAPAN ARGRGHHH

But you know...it's time for me to step back and let him make those choices for himself.

Very.....hard. To keep my mouth shut. I think it will be the biggest challenge of having teenagers. Just....keeping my mouth shut. When I want to be like YOU FUCKING IDIOT WHAT ARE YOU DOING

Because you know, that's what my parents said to me. And it really hindered my progress as an adult, I have to say. #breakingthecycle

 
vixnix is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:57 PM   #7967
buzzard
Apocalyptic Poster
 
buzzard's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,974
Default

He'll be enrolled in Te Reo when he starts at Porirua Middle School, won't he?

 
buzzard is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:13 PM   #7968
vixnix
Socialphobic
 
vixnix's Avatar
 
Location: pulitzer surprise motherfucker
Posts: 11,186
Default

He actually mentioned Te Reo but no, sadly as a non-practicing Polynesian my home suburb is a little more potato than kumara

 
vixnix is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:21 PM   #7969
fuzzyroes
Braindead
 
fuzzyroes's Avatar
 
Posts: 18,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
Lauren, i've offered it literally four times and you kept declining, i'm not sure how to reply to this to be honest

 
fuzzyroes is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:24 PM   #7970
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead
 
teh b0lly!!1's Avatar
 
Location: PROWLING THE BADLANDS
Posts: 15,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
At my elder kid's high school (which he starts next year) it's mandatory to take one modern language and I asked him if he would continue with Mandarin (because he's started that already, both in Sydney and now here) and he surprised me by saying he actually wants to switch, to Japanese. When I asked him why, he said because he loves Japan. And when I pressed him on that, he said it was because he loves Japanese food and Pokemon.

I mean WHAT. GIMME A FUCKING BREAK. I'm like...you don't like Japanese food, you like bento and ramen. That's like someone saying they like Chinese food because they like fried rice and dumplings. He just gave this goofy laugh and was like yeah but I still love Japan. I'm like YOU'VE NEVER BEEN TO JAPAN ARGRGHHH

But you know...it's time for me to step back and let him make those choices for himself.

Very.....hard. To keep my mouth shut. I think it will be the biggest challenge of having teenagers. Just....keeping my mouth shut. When I want to be like YOU FUCKING IDIOT WHAT ARE YOU DOING

Because you know, that's what my parents said to me. And it really hindered my progress as an adult, I have to say. #breakingthecycle
this is funny to me because "i love Japan" as well essentially based on slightly more nuanced superficialities, so i totally get where the kid is coming from (btw it's pretty crazy to me he's starting highschool. did the void swallow up a few years?)

but frankly, here's what i wish my parents did for me when i ignorantly made bad calls in my life. instead of mentally facepalming, letting him do what he's gonna do, or grilling him, why don't you just level with him and explain that since he already has a great head start on Mandarin, and seeing that it is probably the single best language to learn as a future investment, perhaps it really is the best available option to him (or if you wanna draw blood: "you might regret not having done so later on").

 
teh b0lly!!1 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:49 AM   #7971
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
yo soy el mejor's Avatar
 
Location: all over the Internet
Posts: 41,090
Default

today is the deposition of my former boss and i will attend. if they don't settle today, we go to a jury trial or arbitrator on september 9th. i really hope they settle today cause school starts september 5th.

 
yo soy el mejor is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:54 AM   #7972
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
Cool As Ice Cream's Avatar
 
Location: František! How's the foot of your turtle?
Posts: 30,100
Default

first world problems

 
Cool As Ice Cream is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:57 AM   #7973
FoolofaTook
Immortal
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Location: in your father
Posts: 21,936
Default

back off bro. i'm sure ****** will send a tithe of the booty to starving children in somalia.

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #7974
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
yo soy el mejor's Avatar
 
Location: all over the Internet
Posts: 41,090
Default

no way. i went the low-income method of securing a lawyer. thanks, free legal clinic, for seeing merit in my claims.

 
yo soy el mejor is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:20 AM   #7975
LaBelle
Minion of Satan
 
LaBelle's Avatar
 
Location: The baddest of asses
Posts: 9,792
Default

Hope it goes well for you.

 
LaBelle is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:08 AM   #7976
ilikeplanets
Socialphobic
 
ilikeplanets's Avatar
 
Location: Ignore List
Posts: 12,578
Default

me too. anything that involves a judge freaks me out. hopefully i'll work through that one day. my fear of police has basically disappeared, and i even smile at them if we make eye contact now.

 
ilikeplanets is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:12 AM   #7977
ilikeplanets
Socialphobic
 
ilikeplanets's Avatar
 
Location: Ignore List
Posts: 12,578
Default

and we weren't even offered japanese or mandarin as an option when i was in highschool in texas. just spanish, french, german, and asl. and i was not given the freedom to choose by my parents - it was most definitely going to be spanish because that had maybe a shred of use compared to the others. i took it at the collegiate level too, and after a total of about 5 years i can proudly have not even a simple conversation with an actual spanish speaker. i can read it fairly decently, though.

 
ilikeplanets is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:30 AM   #7978
vixnix
Socialphobic
 
vixnix's Avatar
 
Location: pulitzer surprise motherfucker
Posts: 11,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
this is funny to me because "i love Japan" as well essentially based on slightly more nuanced superficialities, so i totally get where the kid is coming from (btw it's pretty crazy to me he's starting highschool. did the void swallow up a few years?)

but frankly, here's what i wish my parents did for me when i ignorantly made bad calls in my life. instead of mentally facepalming, letting him do what he's gonna do, or grilling him, why don't you just level with him and explain that since he already has a great head start on Mandarin, and seeing that it is probably the single best language to learn as a future investment, perhaps it really is the best available option to him (or if you wanna draw blood: "you might regret not having done so later on").
this was good advice, I tried talking to him about it and he agreed. Thanks tb

netpho parenting for the win

 
vixnix is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:35 AM   #7979
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
Cool As Ice Cream's Avatar
 
Location: František! How's the foot of your turtle?
Posts: 30,100
Default

yay!

 
Cool As Ice Cream is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:31 AM   #7980
FoolofaTook
Immortal
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Location: in your father
Posts: 21,936
Default

yuck

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
shit fuckers can type! sickbadthing General Chat Message Board 54 04-26-2018 12:21 AM
So when is Jimmy coming back? Elphenor Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion 36 03-08-2018 10:35 PM
Something I have noticed... rottenugly General Chat Archive 38 04-17-2012 03:25 PM
my very original ask me questions thread dr.benway General Chat Archive 27 08-04-2009 04:26 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2014