Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2002, 01:36 AM   #91
tick

w3rd. figure skating is like a pageant anyway...nothing is set in stone! it's always gonna be arbitrary when there are judges. where did the stupid canadians forget their sportsmanship? don't make a big stink about it you greedy bitches.

The Russian pair was far more superior in style & they've consistently been better over the years. They won the silver medal in the last Olympics. It was their shot this year and for good reason. For the Canadians to win would have been a fluke!
Real skating is in Russia.

Take it from an insider!

------------------
I could have danced all night, I could have danced all night, And still have begged for more. I could have spread my wings, And done a thousand things, I've never done before.

Old 02-13-2002, 01:44 AM   #92
autumnNOCTURNE

Quote:
Originally posted by tick:
don't make a big stink about it you greedy bitches.
If you're not properly informed, please refrain from commenting.

The only thing Sale and Pelletier themselves have done is comment on how they were surprised at the result, but that they tried their best.

It is the media that has turned this into a giant fiasco (whether you agree with the result or not). Now, even Jay Leno has jumped on board.

Bottom line: the inquiry is being launched by the ISU themselves, not at the request of any Canadian authorities or the skaters themselves.

Sale and Pelletier have handled themselves well, showing sportsmanlike conduct in the face of immense disappointment.

Again, refrain from posting your so-called "insider" opinions until you get yourself informed.

Old 02-13-2002, 01:46 AM   #93
tick

I just saw their interview and they said something like, "our silver should have been a gold," etc.

You Canadians, keep lying to yourselves!

Old 02-13-2002, 01:49 AM   #94
autumnNOCTURNE

Quote:
[Russia has] consistently been better over the years. They won the silver medal in the last Olympics. It was their shot this year and for good reason.
Past results should have no bearing on this years results whatsoever.

Although, there is somewhat of a dynasty, it doesn't necessarily involve these skaters so the point is moot.

It's like how Montreal Canadiens fans harp on the "we've won the most Stanley Cups" argument. Who cares? Not one current player that ever won a cup with that team is still on the team. Therefore, what's the same except the patch on the jersey?

Old 02-13-2002, 01:50 AM   #95
smiling politely

Thumbs down

Quote:
I just saw their interview and they said something like, "our silver should have been a gold," etc.

No, he said "sometimes a silver medal is won by a gold medal performance."

Old 02-13-2002, 01:52 AM   #96
pale_princess

Red face

not matter what you think of their scores, and who should've won, you gotta admit that this silver medal is sure giving them a lot of media exposure, most of it good.

i'd feel awkward if i were the russians.

Old 02-13-2002, 01:54 AM   #97
TiaraGurl

I just read that whole thread. Who knew that so many netphorians cared so much about figure skating.

*does double axel*

Old 02-13-2002, 01:55 AM   #98
ZeroBullet

Quote:
Originally posted by autumnNOCTURNE:
Not one current player that ever won a cup with that team is still on the team.
Well one actually http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif Patrice Brisebois.

Everyone in this thread who said they'd rather get Silver over Gold because it looks better....you're an idiot.

Everyone who said they should be happy with Silver...you're right...IF they had put up a Silver performance, and were beaten. But they weren't, simple as that. They skated better. Everyone can see that and that's why there's such a big fuss about it.

Old 02-13-2002, 01:57 AM   #99
tick

I feel bad for the russians.

In '94 something similar happened when Gordeeva and Grinkov outsted Mishkotonouk and Dimitriev, but nothing came of it because both pairs were Russian.

I need to be handed the fool's gold medal like John Tesh.

Old 02-13-2002, 01:59 AM   #100
autumnNOCTURNE

Quote:
Originally posted by ZeroBullet:
Well one actually http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif Patrice Brisebois.
I stand corrected http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

But, gee, it was a LONG time ago, wasn't it?

Old 02-13-2002, 02:01 AM   #101
ZeroBullet

Too long! Go Habs! http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif

Old 02-13-2002, 02:02 AM   #102
tick

Stupid Olympics!
Cold War is over!

Old 02-13-2002, 02:03 AM   #103
autumnNOCTURNE

Quote:
Originally posted by pale_princess:
not matter what you think of their scores, and who should've won, you gotta admit that this silver medal is sure giving them a lot of media exposure, most of it good.
The media exposure was self-perpetuated -- not the fault of nor caused by Sale and Pelletier. [He says as he watches Leno make jokes about this whole thing . . .]

Quote:
Yep. As I said before.

It must've sucked all the joy out of that Gold for them. It's a shame. It's just not in harmony with that Olympic spirit.

Ah well. Leave it to the media . . .

------------------
-> fighting Netphorian stupidity since 04-24-2000 <-

Old 02-13-2002, 02:10 AM   #104
TiaraGurl

The russians live in hackensack NJ and the woman almost died 2 years ago when she got cut inthe head doing side by side spins. It is not their fault this is happening they don't look like they passed the judge any benjamins or anything. I will say this all the costumes so far have been really horrible.

Old 02-13-2002, 02:12 AM   #105
autumnNOCTURNE

Thumbs down

Jay Leno has just slapped Canada in the face.

(If you saw the Tonight Show intro, you know what I mean. WTF?!)

Old 02-13-2002, 02:14 AM   #106
ZeroBullet

Quote:
Originally posted by TiaraGurl:
I will say this all the costumes so far have been really horrible.
They're always bad...the sequins always look silly. I thought Sale & Pelletier's looked nice though...very clean and not outlandish.

Old 02-13-2002, 02:21 AM   #107
tick

sorry to say this, but i haven't seen a decent costume since Nancy Kerrigan. Vera Wang worked wonders for her.

the canadian pairs costume was alright. He looked like he was wearing normal clothes. Aren't tights banned now, like the ones Brian Boitano used to wear. & I heard you get severe deductions for doing offensive moves because for some time it looked like sex on ice.

Old 02-13-2002, 02:28 AM   #108
Skye

curling better fucking be gold.

Old 02-13-2002, 02:29 AM   #109
ZeroBullet

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Skye:
curling better fucking be gold.
No doobt eh.

Old 02-13-2002, 02:31 AM   #110
TiaraGurl

Quote:
sorry to say this, but i haven't seen a decent costume since Nancy Kerrigan. Vera Wang worked wonders for her.

I am sure michelle kwan will have something tasteful her ice blue 1998 ensemble was nice but yeah youare right. The russian pair were not even color coordinated! anyway...

Old 02-13-2002, 02:34 AM   #111
MisterSquishyHalo

Quote:

I would trade the exposure, for the gold, No one remembers who finishes second.

Old 02-13-2002, 02:36 AM   #112
autumnNOCTURNE

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterSquishyHalo:

No one remembers who finishes second.
Heh :-) Except this time.

Actually, skating (in my mind) has been like that. The only placements I know of are all silver medals: Nancy Kerrigan, Elizabeth Manley, Elvis Stojko . . .

Weird.

Old 02-13-2002, 02:37 AM   #113
pale_princess

Arrow

Quote:

No one remembers who finishes second.
well this case is quite the opposite. everyone will remember who finished second.

and i was just reminded tonite the name of that oxana chick who won gold that time nancy kerrigan won SILVER.
but i digress.

Old 02-13-2002, 02:39 AM   #114
tick

Quote:
Originally posted by autumnNOCTURNE:
Heh :-) Except this time.

Actually, skating (in my mind) has been like that. The only placements I know of are all silver medals: Nancy Kerrigan, Elizabeth Manley, Elvis Stojko . . .

Weird.
Oksana Baiul (didn't deserve it & her pink fur was just gross),
Katarina Witt (& her retarded sezzuality),
& Alexei Urmanov (Another Fluke. The tights and the blouse worked though!)

Old 02-13-2002, 02:41 AM   #115
tick

Wink

Oh, and who remembers Ilia Kulik and his giraffe outfit? His good Russian mother made it.

Old 02-13-2002, 02:44 AM   #116
MisterSquishyHalo

Thumbs up

Sources say Russian and French judges made deal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Cynthia Faulkner
ESPN.com

SALT LAKE CITY -- Sources within the International Skating Union have told ESPN/ABC Sports figure skating reporter Christine Brennan that a collaboration between the French and Russian judges helped spark the controversy that has the skating world and the Winter Olympics abuzz.

The Canadian Olympic delegation on Tuesday requested an investigation into why Russians Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze won the gold medal when many observers feel that Canadians Jamie Sale and David Pelletier were more worthy.

Brennan, one of the world's leading authorities on figure skating, says that reliable sources within the ISU told her that a collaboration between the French and Russian judges did happen.

"When (figure skating officials) investigate, I think they're going to find out that the French judge worked a deal with the Russians," said Brennan, one of the world's leading authorities on figure skating.

"There's absolutely no doubt that the Canadians should have won. Their 'Love Story' program was just marvelous. The performance was perfect.

"The Russian pair made small errors including a small mistake on one jump. To me it's clear. It should have been crystal clear for the Canadians."

Brennan said she watched the tapes again and the Canadians' performance only gets better.

"I was shocked the moment I saw the scores and I'm still shocked," she said. "I ran into three international judges, all of them judging at the Olympics, within three minutes after the competition. 'This is an outrage,' they said in unison. I've never seen judges come up to a reporter -- as opposed to going away from them -- and say this is an outrage."

Until Monday, only a few diehard figure skating fans in North America knew who Sale and Pelletier were. That's all changed.

"Their agent told me he's had about a hundred calls," Brennan said. "I'm guessing they are now a household name, which never would have been if they'd won the gold medal with no controversy. I would imagine that they became millionaires in the last 24 hours. The sympathy factor is huge."

The scandal already is drawing comparisons to figure skating's most famous pair of all -- Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan. The story could grow if the United States were to get involved because it's conceivable that if Sale and Pelletier should have won gold, Americans Kyoko Ina and John Zimmerman could have won bronze, Brennan said.

"This is really starting to remind me of Tonya and Nancy, but it's not there yet," Brennan said. "There's something about this that's starting to build and there's the sense that the pace with which it's starting is like it was with Tonya and Nancy. Now there's an investigation and the story has legs."

Cynthia Faulkner is the Olympics editor for ESPN.com.

------------------
livejournal

ottorogers.com

That's a School?

Where are all the damn Dennys!

Old 02-13-2002, 02:47 AM   #117
MisterSquishyHalo

Quote:
well this case is quite the opposite. everyone will remember who finished second.

and i was just reminded tonite the name of that oxana chick who won gold that time nancy kerrigan won SILVER.
but i digress.

Well I remember that contest very well, Nancy Kerrigan Skated awesome, and I thought had a awesome run. But Oksana Baiul(sp) had a terrific program too. This does not compare to what happened yesterday.

Old 02-13-2002, 02:51 AM   #118
tick

Quote:
Well I remember that contest very well, Nancy Kerrigan Skated awesome, and I thought had a awesome run. But Oksana Baiul(sp) had a terrific program too. This does not compare to what happened yesterday.
you'd be surprised. Baiul two footed her triple toe and doubled a lutz whereas Kerrigan nailed all her jumps. & Baiul didn't have a triple combination.

This is nothing new in the World of figure skating.

Someone kill me now.

Old 02-13-2002, 02:51 AM   #119
TiaraGurl

Quote:
Oh, and who remembers Ilia Kulik and his giraffe outfit? His good Russian mother made it.
I do recall that (can you tell I watch the olympics?) one of the russian men this year has a bad mullet ew...)

He has a child now with ekatarina gordeeva.

Old 02-13-2002, 02:54 AM   #120
tick

Quote:
Originally posted by TiaraGurl:
I do recall that (can you tell I watch the olympics?) one of the russian men this year has a bad mullet ew...)
Alexander Abt! The boy with the aluminum foil outfit.
Quote:

He has a child now with ekatarina gordeeva.
Personally, I find this disturbing.

[This message has been edited by tick (edited 02-13-2002).]