Old 02-12-2002, 05:28 PM   #31
ravenguy2000

Thumbs down

Crying because you got a Silver Medal is stupid. *nods*

Old 02-12-2002, 05:39 PM   #32
PhantomFM

Quote:
Originally posted by smiling politely:
Yes, but you're also entitled to expect that you'll be recognized and rewarded appropriately for your performance.
fuck the gold, yo. The silver medal is the bombdiggityshiznit, jigga! All the gold medal does is make you more susceptible to being struck by lighting, standing high on that podium and all. And speaking of standing high on that podium, doesn't the SILVER MEDALIST in the snowboarding competition look high as hell all the time? I mean he was listening to AC/DC during his SILVER MEDAL run, for god's sake. ROCK

------------------
PhantomFM

Old 02-12-2002, 05:40 PM   #33
Injektilo

christ, do people here not understand what it means to be competitive? if they had skated worse than the russians they wouldn't have any reason to complain. But they put the last 4 years of their life into this competition, and they finished second THROUGH NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN. I repeat, if they had skated worse than the russians, they would have no right to complain. But they didn't. They skated better, and therefore should have won.
I don't see whats wrong with trying to be best at something.

------------------
how'd this world get so fucking fun, all of a sudden?

Old 02-12-2002, 05:49 PM   #34
Injektilo

Lets clear this up :

Winning silver when you did your best, but were out performed : Nothing to complain about, you should be happy.

Winning Silver when you did your best AND WERE BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE BUT GOT SCREWED BY QUESTIONABLE JUDGING : you have every right to be pissed off.

some people don't like taking things lying down when they are in the right. And when you're talking about a place in history and tens of thousands of dollars in sponsorship money to be lost, they have a right to be pissed.

Old 02-12-2002, 05:52 PM   #35
So very sad about me

Quote:
Originally posted by pale_princess:

plus silver's a hell of a lot prettier than gold.

Exactly!!!! I hate gold! HATE HATE HATE. Silver (and platinum http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif) are much nicer

------------------
http://www.wsu.edu/~swinn/sex.gif
You want to sleep with common people like me

Old 02-12-2002, 06:00 PM   #36
ZERO

same shit happened in Calgary in '88. although i didn't see the actual performance, i did see the reaction of the crowd, and that was one upset reaction. that has to say something about the situation.

Old 02-12-2002, 06:02 PM   #37
Injektilo

For anyone who doesn't think there was anything done wrong by the judges :

Quote:

The International Skating Union announced Tuesday an inquiry would be launched into the judging.
The ISU made a statement which read: “Following the reaction of the public and the media to the results of the pairs event at the Salt Lake Ice Center last night, and to respect public opinion, the ISU is doing an internal assessment to monitor if the ISU rules and procedures have been respected.
“Any further comment will be given when appropriate.”
The ISU made its statement after a routine judges’ meeting to look back at Monday’s voting.
There might be changes in the sport because of the decision, longtime coach Frank Carroll said.
“This is the worst thing that’s happened in a long time in figure skating,” said Carroll, who was Linda Fratianne’s coach in 1980, when Fratianne lost the gold medal to East Germany’s Anett Potzch amid allegations of judges trading votes along political lines.

Old 02-12-2002, 06:09 PM   #38
The exploding boy

Red face

Wow....suddenly i am reminded the name Sylvie frechette....

Old 02-12-2002, 06:10 PM   #39
pale_princess

Arrow

their sponsorship is anything BUT fucked due to this fiasco.

they're getting worldwide attention.
it's probably better, in that sense, that they got silver. more exposure.

Old 02-12-2002, 06:17 PM   #40
pale_princess

oh well face it. canada gets most of its stars out of controversy. ben johnson. ross regabliati. and these two here. then elvis stojko and donovan bailey just fuck up after doing great in their knee or soemthing.

Old 02-12-2002, 06:19 PM   #41
Mayfuck

I for one will say that I thoroughly enjoyed the Russian's performance. The Canadian performance was pretty fun too. The Canadian performance was flawless, but the Russian performance was beautiful. I was moved to tears by the Russian performance in fact. And I expected the Canadians to win, however I was extremely pleased when the Russians won, because I LOVED their performance. In fact during parts of it I even said out loud, quite spontaneously "Beautiful. Simply Gorgeous. Wow." The commentators themselves said at one point that the Russian program was very difficult, choreography etc, and the Canadian program was much simpler and easier.

That said, I think everyone knows Canada probably should have one. But in many ways it is a subjective sport and there really is no *should*. Plus the Russian girl was fucking beautiful. I was like in love with her. And the Canadian girl was a snotty bitch. I couldn't stand her. And the Russians knew too that they didn't deserve a gold. All in all an uncomfortable situation for everybody. Etc. I probably would have cried too. It's not simply the idea "oh I got silver" it's the utter shock and the let-down. You saw everyone after they skated. "oh well they just won and they know it". Well they didn't win and it must have been unbelievably shocking. Anyways, so you have to feel bad for everybody basically.

I will once again repeat that I preferred the Russian performance a thousand times over and was hoping the Canadians would mess up. They had the most unbelievable spins and lifts and...i don't know. It was so graceful and pretty.

Anywyas, that all said, what the fuck is your problem Shaunna? Why the fuck do you keep bringing up Americans? You have no fucking reason to do that. How idiotically irrelevant.

Old 02-12-2002, 06:22 PM   #42
pale_princess

you said exactly how i felt about the russians' performance.
the anti-american sentiment was made because i was in a pissy mood.

------------------
- shaunna.

http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon8.gif don't call glenn a f4ggot, not unless you are a friend!

Old 02-12-2002, 06:23 PM   #43
autumnNOCTURNE

Quote:
plus silver's a hell of a lot prettier than gold.
I think this pretty much puts your weak "argument" in perspective.

You obviously know nothing (as I don't) about technical complexity of Sale and Pelletier's performance (that's their names, they're representing your country, if you're going to bitch about them, learn their names at least).

And if it was THAT boring to you, you could've . . . CHANGED THE CHANNEL! *shock*

Stop playing armchair quarterback, if you think you can do a better job. The people who can intelligently analyze these things are in the media. You're ranting about one aspect ceaselessly on Netphoria.

I understand you want to seem rebellious and different, but at least try to be intelligent when doing so.

Old 02-12-2002, 06:25 PM   #44
pale_princess

Quote:
Originally posted by autumnNOCTURNE:
I think this pretty much puts your weak "argument" in perspective.

You obviously know nothing (as I don't) about technical complexity of Sale and Pelletier's performance (that's their names, they're representing your country, if you're going to bitch about them, learn their names at least).

And if it was THAT boring to you, you could've . . . CHANGED THE CHANNEL! *shock*

Stop playing armchair quarterback, if you think you can do a better job. The people who can intelligently analyze these things are in the media. You're ranting about one aspect ceaselessly on Netphoria.

I understand you want to seem rebellious and different, but at least try to be intelligent when doing so.
http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/rolleyes.gif what more did i expect.
i'm just stirring up shit, obviously. i mean, i don't fucking care about their names. all i know is i personally preferred the russians and silver is not bad at all.

Old 02-12-2002, 06:27 PM   #45
autumnNOCTURNE

Quote:
Originally posted by Injektilo:
For anyone who doesn't think there was anything done wrong by the judges :
{ISU Quote}
buTT d00D!
It wuz soooo b-0-rr-ing!

(Just inserting the anticipated response, so we can hopefully move this along to some intelligent analysis, should someone be able to provide some -- I could quote off the innumberable people on TV rushing to their defence, but we can all turn on CBC ourselves.)

Old 02-12-2002, 06:28 PM   #46
ravenguy2000

Question

WHo gives a fuck about the actual skating? Where there any funny commercials in between?

------------------
http://ravenguy98.homestead.com/files/Factory.jpg

Old 02-12-2002, 06:30 PM   #47
pale_princess

i watched the whole performance to see what the big deal was about. it wasn't as complex as the russians' routine and just looked... well... stagnant in comparison.

but hey they got exposure. they'll always be known as "those canadians who deserved it." more than they could ask for if they had won that oh-so-coveted gold.

Old 02-12-2002, 06:30 PM   #48
pale_princess

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by ravenguy2000:
WHo gives a fuck about the actual skating? Where there any funny commercials in between?

just more of those CANADA SCORES AGAINST FINLAND!!!!1 bell canada commericals.

Old 02-12-2002, 06:31 PM   #49
melancholia

i would want silver over gold...just because silver looks nicer...

did anyone see that woman who skated on a broken foot? i felt so bad for her...

Old 02-12-2002, 06:34 PM   #50
Injektilo

Quote:
Originally posted by Mayfuck:
I for one will say that I thoroughly enjoyed the Russian's performance. The Canadian performance was pretty fun too. The Canadian performance was flawless, but the Russian performance was beautiful. I was moved to tears by the Russian performance in fact. And I expected the Canadians to win, however I was extremely pleased when the Russians won, because I LOVED their performance. In fact during parts of it I even said out loud, quite spontaneously "Beautiful. Simply Gorgeous. Wow." The commentators themselves said at one point that the Russian program was very difficult, choreography etc, and the Canadian program was much simpler and easier.

That said, I think everyone knows Canada probably should have one. But in many ways it is a subjective sport and there really is no *should*. Plus the Russian girl was fucking beautiful. I was like in love with her. And the Canadian girl was a snotty bitch. I couldn't stand her. And the Russians knew too that they didn't deserve a gold. All in all an uncomfortable situation for everybody. Etc. I probably would have cried too. It's not simply the idea "oh I got silver" it's the utter shock and the let-down. You saw everyone after they skated. "oh well they just won and they know it". Well they didn't win and it must have been unbelievably shocking. Anyways, so you have to feel bad for everybody basically.

I will once again repeat that I preferred the Russian performance a thousand times over and was hoping the Canadians would mess up. They had the most unbelievable spins and lifts and...i don't know. It was so graceful and pretty.

Anywyas, that all said, what the fuck is your problem Shaunna? Why the fuck do you keep bringing up Americans? You have no fucking reason to do that. How idiotically irrelevant.
again, i think the problem was that the russians messed up one of the landings, which in a competition as close as this, means everything.

------------------
how'd this world get so fucking fun, all of a sudden?

Old 02-12-2002, 06:44 PM   #51
autumnNOCTURNE

Quote:
but hey they got exposure. they'll always be known as "those canadians who deserved it." more than they could ask for if they had won that oh-so-coveted gold.
Right!

Because that's JUST what they wanted: EXPOSURE!

If they wanted exposure, they'd have pulled a Harding/Kerrigan fiasco.

On the program being boring: If you actually take the time to listen (or happen to know the storyline of Love Story), the performance really moves quite nicely along the story with a lot of well done imagery.

It deserved gold -- but there's nothing they could've done differently to accomplish that. They were flawless. I think it's all best accentuated by the forced smile the Russian woman was giving on the podium, and the stunned look of the man. THEY knew they shouldn't have won.

Old 02-12-2002, 06:45 PM   #52
pale_princess

Arrow

exposure
=
sponsors.
all a sportsman needs, in the long run.
and hey, it makes them work even harder to do even better than their best in their next competition.

and they will always be champions to us, right?

Old 02-12-2002, 06:46 PM   #53
Delta

a) figure skating isnt a sport.

b) if i trained my whole life for one moment, gave it everything i had, and it still wasnt good enough, i think id cry on the podium too. whether i think figure skating is a valid life purpose or not, i think if you put that sort of devotion into something how could you *not* be devestated when you find out you're not the best in the world?

Old 02-12-2002, 06:47 PM   #54
pale_princess

because the world is a big place. we can't always win. and that drives us to try even harder, i suppose.

fuck, i don't even like sports. i was cheering for japan at skiing at one point yesterday.

Old 02-12-2002, 06:49 PM   #55
PhantomFM

Quote:
irrelevant

Quote:
Stop playing armchair quarterback, if you think you can do a better job. The people who can intelligently analyze these things are in the media.[/quote

Hilarious!!!

You're ranting about one aspect ceaselessly on Netphoria. I understand you want to seem rebellious and different, but at least try to be intelligent when doing so.[/b]
she's ranting about them ranting about it! And lighten up a bit! Saying humorously that the silver medal FuKiNgRuLZ doesn't equate to proclaiming one's self a figure skating expert

------------------
PhantomFM

Old 02-12-2002, 06:52 PM   #56
meow

I was watching that last night on the news... they were like "are they going to file a petition for the bad judging?" i was like oh yeah you did so fucking bad! 2nd best! so what! at least you came in first among the losers! that IS an accomplishment!

but seriously... who cares, its still awesome... get over it.

Old 02-12-2002, 06:53 PM   #57
autumnNOCTURNE

Quote:
because the world is a big place.
What's funny is all this is coming from the person who was crying and carrying on about "not deserving" to be the first in line at the fucking autograph session.

If that kind of insignificance sends you into the throughs of emotion, why the FUCK can't you understand about the disappointment about not coming first in front of the entire world while representing your country?

Old 02-12-2002, 06:54 PM   #58
Human Replica Droid

I agree with Shaunna. Crying because you got the silver is only appropriate when you've gotten silver before and it was your last chance to win gold. Then it's sad and I'd cry, too.

I agree that silver is way prettier than gold.

Old 02-12-2002, 06:55 PM   #59
pale_princess

Quote:
What's funny is all this is coming from the person who was crying and carrying on about "not deserving" to be the first in line at the fucking autograph session.

If that kind of insignificance sends you into the throughs of emotion, why the FUCK can't you understand about the disappointment about not coming first in front of the entire world while representing your country?

http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/rolleyes.gif
SO two years ago.
oh so you don't like me because of insignificant things when you don't even know me personally... really, get over yourself. oh but just disagreeing and nitpicking everything i say and basing conclusions after meeting me once is really going to make you feel better about yourself.

[This message has been edited by pale_princess (edited 02-12-2002).]

Old 02-12-2002, 07:03 PM   #60
tweedyburd

Arrow

Julian has laid it all out for you cretins and none of you really get it.

Figure skating is competition based on, above all, accuracy. The judges cannot place thier subjective opinion into their scorecards because emotional response is relative. What they can do (and are supposed to do) is judge based on how clean, precise, and elequent the performance was in terms of being technically accurate.

It's been repeated several times, but the Russians really fucked up on a couple doubles and the Canadians were flawless. It'd be interesting to set up a split screen of the performances and see just how more technically accurate the Canadians were in comparison...

I briefly saw a CNN program today that had several unbiased skating analysts discussing this whole thing, and each and every one of them were completely dumfounded as to why the Russians were given the edge on the score card.