Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2002, 06:24 PM   #61
numberthirteen

generally speaking, film students have a higher sense of appreciation that can sometimes be mistaken for arrogance by the regular movie going public. But this thread is more a testament to the general public than film students since it seems that we've reached an age of multiplexes, criterion collection dvd's, where everyone's a movie critic, and everyone thinks they're opinion matters. Well, that's wrong. It takes more effort to dedicate your life, purely out of appreciation, to film than getting off your sorry ass to make a stop at the nearest blockbuster. It's out of that distinguishing effort that negates the value of your opinion. Vive le cinema. I'm on crack.

------------------
http://downwardsign.homestead.com/files/storysig.jpg

Old 02-07-2002, 06:27 PM   #62
THE MACHINA666

Quote:
Originally posted by numberthirteen:
generally speaking, film students have a higher sense of appreciation that can sometimes be mistaken for arrogance by the regular movie going public. But this thread is more a testament to the general public than film students since it seems that we've reached an age of multiplexes, criterion collection dvd's, where everyone's a movie critic, and everyone thinks they're opinion matters. Well, that's wrong. It takes more effort to dedicate your life, purely out of appreciation, to film than getting off your sorry ass to make a stop at the nearest blockbuster. It's out of that distinguishing effort that negates the value of your opinion. Vive le cinema. I'm on crack.

On a quick note here, you once told me about some French (or was from Europe) young filmmaker, and I forgot his name (damn me).

Do you remember what/who I'm talking about here?

------------------
Live now, pay later.

Old 02-07-2002, 06:33 PM   #63
numberthirteen

I think it was Leos Carax

------------------
http://downwardsign.homestead.com/files/storysig.jpg

Old 02-07-2002, 06:34 PM   #64
THE MACHINA666

Quote:
Originally posted by numberthirteen:
I think it was Leos Carax

Yeah, I think so too. Thanx.

Old 02-07-2002, 06:54 PM   #65
msondo

if you come to netphoria for intelligent observations on the art of film (or anything in the known universe, even sp) you are an idiot

Old 02-07-2002, 07:40 PM   #66
THE MACHINA666

Quote:
Originally posted by msondo:
if you come to netphoria for intelligent observations on the art of film (or anything in the known universe, even sp) you are an idiot

Some people do know films here.

In fact, some people (at least one) ARE in (or involved in) some flick, if I remember correctly.

So yes, in fact, it is possible to have an intelligent conversation/intelligent observations about it.

Those, like you, who don't seem to know shit about them (or don't seem to care), should maybe shut the fuck up, and/or talk about something they know/like. Just because you are ignorant in a subject, dosen't mean everybody is. Though you are entitled to an opinion.

Anyway, why am I even wasting my time w/ you.

Maybe I'm just practicing to quote correctly.

Old 02-08-2002, 07:56 AM   #67
liarsclub

Quote:
Originally posted by NegaBenji:
There's a difference between science and art, the main aspect being that art is wholly subjective. Film school can only help you appreciate on different levels, and possibly open your eyes to what the director was trying to achieve or convey, but it won't help you be 'more right'
It won't make you right or wrong, but, as I did say, it makes one's point more valid than the someone who is uneducated on the subject - it makes no difference whether it's science or art or whether it's subjective or not - it all boils down to who has the knowledge - and those who do can speak with more authority than those who do not...

[This message has been edited by liarsclub (edited 02-08-2002).]

Old 02-08-2002, 12:06 PM   #68
tweedyburd

Arrow

Chad--I think what he was getting at was that film, like art, is ususally a subjective experience, and that subjective experiences by default carry little notion of 'knowledge' or whathaveyou. Sure, you can know all about mise en scene, aesthetics, etc., but the simple fact remains if you do not like a film or it has little effect on you, that's your own subjective view and has little to do with 'knowledge'.

Though, I could just as easily flip it around and argue that if someone dislikes a film that is well-regarded as a masterpiece or whatever, while they have the right to feel however they do about it, their dislike could easily be a result of their own shortcomings, which could mean shortcomings in 'knowledge' that would otherwise lead to better understanding...

Old 02-08-2002, 03:29 PM   #69
msondo

Quote:
Originally posted by THE MACHINA666:
*sniff sniff* but i am important mommy

Sure you are honey..

Is your life really so meaningful you defend it here?

Old 02-08-2002, 03:35 PM   #70
THE MACHINA666

Quote:
Originally posted by msondo:
Sure you are honey..

Is your life really so meaningful you defend it here?

It is.

Wanna teach me how to be a real man, and have a real life?

I'm sure you'd be perfect for the job.

Old 02-08-2002, 03:41 PM   #71
So very sad about me

Quote:
Originally posted by THE MACHINA666:

Maybe I'm just practicing to quote correctly.

Your improvement has been noted http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/tongue.gif

------------------
http://www.wsu.edu/~swinn/sex.gif
You want to sleep with common people like me

Old 02-08-2002, 03:42 PM   #72
THE MACHINA666

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by So very sad about me:
Your improvement has been noted http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/tongue.gif

WOO-HOO!

[This message has been edited by THE MACHINA666 (edited 02-08-2002).]