Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2002, 04:52 PM   #61
Unless

Quote:
Originally posted by tweedyburd:
You gave your opinion on what the film's angle might be, from the perspective of some half-wit critic trying to over intellectualize the portrayal--must I go back and quote you? What else is your presence in this thread been for other than to justify your uninformed opinion by subtly veiling it with someone elses argument?

Baby steps, folks. Baby steps.

[This message has been edited by tweedyburd (edited 01-26-2002).]
To retaliate your comments mainly. I'm not so interested in the film that I would bother talking about it so much if this wasn't fun. You can quote me all you want I really don't care if thats how you want to use your time. Also if you didn't notice the topic is "Black Hawk Down" so whether you have an opinion, agree, disagree or even care it was a post fitting the topic. And I think you are pretty glad I posted it. You got to hear yourself talk.

------------------
http://www.davidbowie.com/users/unless/U_nless.jpg
I said, "You know they refused Jesus, too"
He said, "You're not Him

Old 01-26-2002, 04:55 PM   #62
Unless

Quote:
[b]
Oh, and I'm not even going to read the two arguments developing here....

B]
looks like someone is capable of forming opinions about things they haven't had insight into...

------------------
He said, "You're not Him

Old 01-26-2002, 04:58 PM   #63
Unless

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate the Grate:
my city (Lewiston) has been a gathering spot for Somalians (btw, they're not even freakin called "Somalis". they're Somalians). there are a ton of Somalians in my school. I've talked to a bunch of them. they say the Americans were the best thing that ever happened to their country. most of them wanted to get out of there, but didn't have anywhere to go. when we stepped in, and they saw what we were doing, they realized that America was the place to be. Apparently the Somalians who have gone to see it say it is very representational of what happened. many have become very emotional when at the theatre (from what I've heard).

so yeah, good movie.
and whoever that guy was that was saying the US did the wrong this is sadly mistaken.
I've never met anyone from Somalia, that is nice to know.

------------------
He said, "You're not Him

Old 01-27-2002, 05:06 PM   #64
PhantomFM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Unless:
I disagree, I see it as very dangerous to present to an ignorant country based on the idea of "by the people for the people" a film that presents something as inaccurately good vs. evil.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
It's only presented in that black and white way because you're making it out to be. Sensible Americans know the difference. Apparently you're not one of those.
I think you're overestimating the average America and underestimating the power of a 2hour movie complete with special effects and a moving soundtrack. and I think that despite the movie being in production before sept11 its slant was doubtlessly changed after that day I can't imagine that it wouldn't of been a change toward the patriotic, even if it was a patriotic film to begin with.

But that's as far as I disagree with you- i think unless was taking offense where no offense was given and then it erupted, though I did only read page 2 of this thread. I hope this thread ends with you two kissing and making up

Hollywood has no obligation to do that, especially with this film because it wasn't the point of the film to show the 'inner worth of the Other' or whatever. It was about a mission and the soldiers' perspective of said mission and what happened when it went wrong. The movie does its job in that way and to ask it to show sympathy or empathy of any kind to the opposition belittles the mission and the historical perspective of the soliders, which the film portrayed. The film isn't about what you think it should be, and to do so would be to compromise its perspective.

[/quote]

------------------
PhantomFM

Old 01-27-2002, 06:01 PM   #65
TheEdgeboy

its nice to see so many people being passionate about this issue. In the climate of "Im too cool to care about anything" where I live its refreshing to see this type of discussion on, among other things, Nationalism.

I could go on and on and on about this topic...I'd just like to mention the New York Times writer is an intellectual lightweight, if he's that heavy. A great example of the type of thinkers journalism schools are producing these days.

Old 01-27-2002, 06:29 PM   #66
tweedyburd

Talking

Quote:
You got to hear yourself talk.

Pot, kettle, black?

Quote:
looks like someone is capable of forming opinions about things they haven't had insight into...

No, it's just that I read the first few lines of your pseduo-argument and saw that it was very obvious, tired criticism and that I didn't need to read your incoherence to formulate what I needed to know about your position.

Thanks for playing.

Old 01-28-2002, 11:13 AM   #67
Unless

Quote:
No, it's just that I read the first few lines of your pseduo-argument and saw that it was very obvious, tired criticism and that I didn't need to read your incoherence to formulate what I needed to know about your position.

Thanks for playing.
Your opinion, tired criticism. My opinion, its an important issue. I have not put down your opinion although I disagree because I try not to insult people for being different than me. I've just exchanged cheap personality shots with you, I definately don't have a problem being petty, its pretty easy on a message board. Your attitude towards me for simply disagreeing with what you deem to be a small issue is not justifiable. I don't think underestimating someone who you don't know's personality is really reflective of a wise person. But you have striven to prove on a message board that you are an ensightful person through wise cracks. Luckily I don't believe everything I read or I might think you were, based solely on your vocabulary. Typical message board attitudes, but honestly you could have just been one of those "shut up" post people, it would have used alot less time and been just as influential. I tend to value the opinions of people more who treat me like a human being, but you weren't going for educational here. The pots not calling the kettle black, the pots saying the kettle boiled over and the pot through it back.
Thanks for playing? Anytime

------------------
He said, "You're not Him

Old 01-28-2002, 01:19 PM   #68
tweedyburd

Talking

Quote:
I tend to value the opinions of people more who treat me like a human being
lol

Old 01-28-2002, 01:22 PM   #69
Unless

Quote:
lol
just as good as shut up

------------------
He said, "You're not Him

Old 01-28-2002, 01:24 PM   #70
tweedyburd

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterSquishyHalo:
Look I understand you havent seen the movie, but basically the Book=the Movie, LIke Jaggie says. ALthough Bowden interviewed alot of somali's on their accounts of the battle. This movie was made for America. If you tried to fit everything in, this movie would have run well over three hours. Some things had to be cut, the Somali stuff was cut. Not cause it was being racist, but well, because this movie was about the 18 soldiers who died. Not about the 1000 somali's who died.

Quote:
Originally posted by Useless:
Yes me understand.

Quote:
It was about a mission and the soldiers' perspective of said mission and what happened when it went wrong. The movie does its job in that way and to ask it to show sympathy or empathy of any kind to the opposition belittles the mission and the historical perspective of the soliders, which the film portrayed. The film isn't about what you think it should be, and to do so would be to compromise its perspective.

Quote:
nah nothing that has anything to do with anything ive said

I particularly enjoy how you give two completely different responses to two statements that are basically the same. Heh...

[This message has been edited by tweedyburd (edited 01-28-2002).]

Old 01-28-2002, 01:30 PM   #71
BeautifulLoser

This thread amuses me.

------------------
AIM: JenniferZero

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/spaceg...npage/doom.jpg

ZORAK: Let's start a band!
MOLTAR: Yeah! We'll call it "Freedom"! I like that.
ZORAK: That sucks.
MOLTAR: But "freedom" rhymes with "We From," like "We From the Land of ROCK!"

Old 01-28-2002, 01:31 PM   #72
Unless

Quote:
Originally posted by BeautifulLoser:
This thread amuses me.
Well then I was good for something http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

------------------
He said, "You're not Him

Old 01-28-2002, 01:34 PM   #73
Graveflower

Thumbs down

Unless, please fuck off.

You turned a thread about a MOVIE into some stupid platform for your ridiculous, unfounded, overly liberal bullshit, and your command of the english language is even worse than Samsa's.

Old 01-28-2002, 01:35 PM   #74
doctor gonzo

Thumbs up

win.

------------------
www.nevercrashnow.com

Old 01-28-2002, 01:36 PM   #75
Crippler

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Graveflower:
You turned a thread about a MOVIE into some stupid platform for your ridiculous, unfounded, overly liberal bullshit
It's true, I'm afraid...

Old 01-28-2002, 01:40 PM   #76
Unless

Quote:
I particularly enjoy how you give two completely different responses to two statements that are basically the same. Heh...

[This message has been edited by tweedyburd (edited 01-28-2002).]
yea, I appologize, I'm being rude. I at least acknowledged I understood him, you I admitted to ignoring because I'm saying its important your saying not only is it not important, but not valid, which deserves ignoring. Your opinion is not of more worth than anyone elses. It has nothing to do with what I'm saying because It would not compromise its prospective, Heroes can be Heroes even if they aren't fighting the devil. I understand what you say as well... I disagree about its importance. I disagreed with him too, quote the rest of it, it will be fun.

------------------
He said, "You're not Him

Old 01-28-2002, 01:42 PM   #77
Unless

Quote:
Originally posted by Graveflower:
Unless, please fuck off.

You turned a thread about a MOVIE into some stupid platform for your ridiculous, unfounded, overly liberal bullshit, and your command of the english language is even worse than Samsa's.
If liberal is the label I get for acting this way thats fine. I'd rather be "liberal" than whatever other catagory you can find to throw people in.

------------------
He said, "You're not Him

Old 01-28-2002, 02:01 PM   #78
Comedy Doesn't Pay

Quote:
If liberal is the label I get for acting this way thats fine. I'd rather be "liberal" than whatever other catagory you can find to throw people in.

Take out the "n" in your username and replace it with "se", because I think that better defines your ability to debate with others.

Old 01-28-2002, 02:02 PM   #79
Unless

Quote:
Originally posted by Comedy Doesn't Pay:
Take out the "n" in your username and replace it with "se", because I think that better defines your ability to debate with others.
thanks, nice to meet you too...

------------------
He said, "You're not Him

Old 01-28-2002, 02:05 PM   #80
tweedyburd

Red face

Quote:
I at least acknowledged I understood him, you I admitted to ignoring because I'm saying its important your saying not only is it not important, but not valid, which deserves ignoring.
Through that haze of language that can only be categorized as Retard, I think what you're trying to say is that you ignored me because I ignored you. There would have been no ignoring in the first place had it not been for your ridiculous posturing. You say the argument you're arguing for is important. I say it's tired not because it's not important, but because it's very obvious and knee-jerk criticism. Those criticisms are ultimately fruitless because they have a different agenda apart from any real sincerity.

Quote:

Heroes can be Heroes even if they aren't fighting the devil.
What you politically correct, nonsensical lefties will never understand is that just because a group is portrayed as a villain does not mean it is secretely meant to be inclusive of all that group or that it is even accidentally portrayed in that manner at all. I guess by some warped idea of semiotics you think it's actually going to have an effect on peoples' minds. Like I said once upon a time in this thread, sensible Americans will know the difference. Those who do not are of the LCD of which it makes little to no difference. And it's not the job of the film makers to tip toe around their portrayal in hopes of appeasing the likes of the PC police.

It does compromise the perspective of the film if you try and characterize an enemy that, through the eyes of the soliders (the perspective of the film), were there to do only one thing--kill them. It is unfortunate that the Somalians were not characterized or 'humanized' a bit more, but it wasn't one of the goals of the film. Art should not be compromised in hopes of catering to the 'feelings' of the LCD.

It's amazing. Back in the day it took years for Conrad's work to recieve this kind of reflective 'criticism'. Today we live in a politically correct climate where it is trounced upon even before the film is actually seen.

Quote:
I disagreed with him too, quote the rest of it, it will be fun.

Nah, you just signed yourself away into what is basically useless troll territory. Of the accidental variety, nonetheless. The worst kind...

Old 01-28-2002, 02:27 PM   #81
Unless

Quote:
trounced upon, before its seen?
I originally was going to post in retaliation to your comments, and tell you why I disagreed all over again, but we've been repeating the same things over and over. I'm dropping it because it turned into a fight, which wasn't my intention but of course, given the subject, the typical insults start flying. I'm all worked up over it and its not worth the wasted energy. I guarantee it would have gone different face to face. So judgemental, and you don't know anything about me.

------------------
He said, "You're not Him

Old 01-28-2002, 02:35 PM   #82
tweedyburd

Lightbulb

Quote:
So judgemental, and you don't know anything about me.

This is a message board. You get your point across through the written word. I judged your position by what you wrote. What else am I supposed to get over a message board, the essence of your soul or something?

Old 01-28-2002, 02:40 PM   #83
BeautifulLoser

Yes, Unless, you do amuse me... it amuses me that someone can be so extremely liberal and blind that they can take a story and movie about a real life situation and turn it into a racism issue. The Rangers that participated in the firefight were interviewed several times, and each time they said that the movie was basically historically acurate, with the exception of a few of the character's personalities. So they didn't show the "Somali War Lord Point Of View." If you ask me, this made the warlord characters look better, because if they showed the way those people really were (i.e. dragging the bodies of US SOLDIERS through the streets of Mogadishu), people would have been screaming racism for making them look so bad.

I hate extreme liberals almost as much as I hate those extreme right wing Christian fux0rs. They're both full of bullshit, just on different ends of the spectrum.

Old 01-28-2002, 02:40 PM   #84
Unless

Quote:
This is a message board. You get your point across through the written word. I judged your position by what you wrote. What else am I supposed to get over a message board, the essence of your soul or something?
climb off your pedestal, if you acted the same way on the street you did in here than you wouldn't recognize the good in anything. I don't expect you to get enough from my words to judge my worth, but you do. I think maybe if i met you face to face you might be pretty decent, but thats not what your words tell me.

------------------
He said, "You're not Him

Old 01-28-2002, 02:51 PM   #85
Unless

Quote:
climb off your pedestal, if you acted the same way on the street you did in here than you wouldn't recognize the good in anything. I don't expect you to get enough from my words to judge my worth, but you do. I think maybe if i met you face to face you might be pretty decent, but thats not what your words tell me.

------------------
He said, "You're not Him

Old 01-28-2002, 02:54 PM   #86
tweedyburd

Arrow

http://www.seegod.org/images/busines...imself%202.jpg

Old 01-28-2002, 02:55 PM   #87
sickbadthing

Please get it over with and admit that you both want to fuck each other.

This thread sucks so bad. You guys need your own forum to profess your love to one another. Kiss and give each other hand jobs and let the thread die.

Old 01-28-2002, 02:58 PM   #88
tweedyburd

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by sickbadthing:
let the thread die.

Old 02-01-2002, 03:55 AM   #89
EIvis The Dead Years

Hi! I just want to say that I saw this movie tonight and it was really good I felt. Thanks!

Old 02-01-2002, 03:58 AM   #90
scouse_dave

FYI: i haven't seen it yet