Apocalyptic Poster

bloc party, franz ferdinand, arctic monkeys

Old 12-27-2016, 12:23 AM   #152
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabshack View Post
Definitely redbreegull.

He sure has big opinions on music that he has not listened to or half-remembers from skipping through it one time years ago.
big fan of monuments, huh?

Old 12-27-2016, 10:14 AM   #153
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

Not particularly. It's possible to rank horrible things. Just gotta put in the time.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:57 PM   #154
redbreegull

I did rank horrible things. I said O > Z > Monuments > TBK

Old 12-27-2016, 06:04 PM   #155
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i agree with that assessment

Old 12-27-2016, 07:24 PM   #156
FoolofaTook

Reprise agrees with that assessment.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:57 PM   #157
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I've still never listened to Monuments all the way through in one sitting. I have heard the whole thing, but even the first time I tried to listen there was a fair amount I had to fast forward through to confirm that nothing was actually going to happen in this song

Old 12-27-2016, 08:58 PM   #158
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

I can't argue. I feel the same way about Oceania. It's a garbage album that doesn't warrant listening.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:18 PM   #159
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Fuckin 6 pages this time

About "is zeitgeist as shitty or shittier than this other shitty shit our shitlord, our washed up/out completely lost fuckronaut of a shitbill has shat down our earholes, or not?"

Fuckn kudos fam kudos fuckn keep it up. Saves me having to read about bills siddhartharthas scams

Old 12-28-2016, 09:14 AM   #160
FoolofaTook

Do you have to use that much foul language?

Old 12-28-2016, 09:49 AM   #161
run2pee
Minion of Satan

The fuck you talking about?

Old 12-28-2016, 10:05 AM   #162
Cool As Ice Cream

HOW ABOUT A THREAD WHERE WE MAKE NEW TRACKLISTS FOR IMAGINARY ALBUMS LIKE MCIS+TAFH OR MACHINA+MACHINA2 OMG SO MUCH FUN I FEEL SO CREATIVE

Old 12-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #163
FoolofaTook

AMAZING

Old 12-28-2016, 12:29 PM   #164
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

I listened to the album, all the way through, for the first time last night since 2008. I had not uploaded it on my newest computer, and Billy pulled the album from Spotify, so I had to go into my closet and find the CD. I downloaded the leak way back in 2007, but eventually bought the silver Best Buy edition later in the year.

"Tarantula" remains the stand-out track for me. I liked the song in 2007, and I must say it still holds up despite the one-million Billy choir. "(Come On) Let's Go" was my surprise like. It does not do anything special, but it actually has a catchy riff and decent vocal performance. As others in this thread pointed out, Billy and Jimmy were clearly just going for a "simple" album that showed the two of them rocking out, and this song actually manages to do that well without any stupid "gimmicks." I remembered liking "Ma Belle" a lot when I bought the CD, and it still holds the test of time well. I would say it's the only song that possibly sounds like it could have come from a pre-2000 era.

"Death From Above" stood out as the worst track of the album. "Starz" was forgettable, but Jimmy and Billy absolutely tear it up at the end and it sounds amazing. "Pomp and Circumstances" borders on "Widow Wake My Mind" territory, but the guitar work at the end actually sounded great. Billy's consonant-dropping was at it's absolute worst here, however.

"That's the Way" was inoffensive but forgettable. It definitely sounded like Billy trying to ape Siamese Dream vibe. "Doomsday Clock" and "United States" should be album highlights, but the vocals sound like Billy laid down a run-through vocal track to get the melody on tape, and never replaced it. As I've said before, "United States" stood out as a highlight the last three times I saw Smashing Pumpkins (2007, 2013, and 2015) and it remains an absolute shame that Billy managed to strip that song of all power in the studio.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:06 PM   #165
redbreegull

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabshack View Post
are there like secret sections of the songs you can't hear if you fast-forward through the one thousand repetitions of RUN 2 MEEEEEE RUN 2 MEEEEE RUN 2 MEEEE RUN 2 MEEEEEE

Old 12-28-2016, 06:07 PM   #166
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

Yes obviously

Old 12-28-2016, 06:15 PM   #167
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
I listened to the album, all the way through, for the first time last night since 2008. I had not uploaded it on my newest computer, and Billy pulled the album from Spotify, so I had to go into my closet and find the CD. I downloaded the leak way back in 2007, but eventually bought the silver Best Buy edition later in the year.

"Tarantula" remains the stand-out track for me. I liked the song in 2007, and I must say it still holds up despite the one-million Billy choir. "(Come On) Let's Go" was my surprise like. It does not do anything special, but it actually has a catchy riff and decent vocal performance. As others in this thread pointed out, Billy and Jimmy were clearly just going for a "simple" album that showed the two of them rocking out, and this song actually manages to do that well without any stupid "gimmicks." I remembered liking "Ma Belle" a lot when I bought the CD, and it still holds the test of time well. I would say it's the only song that possibly sounds like it could have come from a pre-2000 era.

"Death From Above" stood out as the worst track of the album. "Starz" was forgettable, but Jimmy and Billy absolutely tear it up at the end and it sounds amazing. "Pomp and Circumstances" borders on "Widow Wake My Mind" territory, but the guitar work at the end actually sounded great. Billy's consonant-dropping was at it's absolute worst here, however.

"That's the Way" was inoffensive but forgettable. It definitely sounded like Billy trying to ape Siamese Dream vibe. "Doomsday Clock" and "United States" should be album highlights, but the vocals sound like Billy laid down a run-through vocal track to get the melody on tape, and never replaced it. As I've said before, "United States" stood out as a highlight the last three times I saw Smashing Pumpkins (2007, 2013, and 2015) and it remains an absolute shame that Billy managed to strip that song of all power in the studio.
Man so I guess you like talking to yourself

Old 12-29-2016, 06:52 PM   #168
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Man so I guess you like talking to yourself
It was tough tearing myself away from the talk of Billy's Siddhartha LP, fuzzyroes' verbal diarrhea, and the other intriguing conversations around here.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:28 PM   #169
FoolofaTook

You forgot my boris thread and my boris shirt.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:27 AM   #170
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
It was tough tearing myself away from the talk of Billy's Siddhartha LP, fuzzyroes' verbal diarrhea, and the other intriguing conversations around here.
My verbal diarrhea is a welcome additive to any music discussion regarding Z in 2016. And hey, we both like Come On Let's Go.

*SP BRO'S UNITE*

Old 06-27-2018, 12:56 AM   #171
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Well at least it’s better than Solara am I right

Old 06-27-2018, 05:37 AM   #172
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

I still like half of the songs from Zeitgeist though they don't have the vibe of the older SP material.

On Oceania Billy still spent much time for the recording. I guess that has changed on the last ones:

Old 06-27-2018, 06:52 AM   #173
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Funny how people try to hype a prechorus of anti hero or the vocals of the second verse in widow..... Wtf?
Sp havent put out one listenable album since machina2.

We are staaaaaarz- bleeeddding the ooorchid- i hope bolly uses again his triple voice chorus on the fucked up solara like ep1 which will not be released before september due to enormous demand in europe

Old 06-27-2018, 01:07 PM   #174
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Oceania > Zeitgeist

Any fucking day of the week. Put some Jimmy drums on Oceania and it's fixed. Zeitgeist? It's just shit.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:38 PM   #175
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
I still like half of the songs from Zeitgeist though they don't have the vibe of the older SP material.

On Oceania Billy still spent much time for the recording. I guess that has changed on the last ones:

He’s so full of shit. If every minute of Oceania took 100 hours then why did the drums sound like a bouncing basketball?

Old 06-27-2018, 06:02 PM   #176
Shallowed
Braindead

I was almost prepared to revisit Zeitgeist, until I heard those AOL sessions in that other thread. I think I'll push those plans back another five years.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:07 PM   #177
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
I was almost prepared to revisit Zeitgeist, until I heard those AOL sessions in that other thread. I think I'll push those plans back another five years.
What? The willy wonka outfit and bad drone metal didn't do it for you?

Old 06-27-2018, 06:11 PM   #178
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Zeitgeist > Solara that's for damn sure

Old 06-27-2018, 10:45 PM   #179
WakaFlocka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
Zeitgeist > Solara that's for damn sure

fuck yes.

you lunatics saying oceania is better than the zeit need to check yo-selves!

stellar, mabelle, and the title track zeitgeist are better than literally everything on oceania.. jimmy might have saved it, but it's hard to imagine that record with him because the way the drums are even recorded sound so completely different (shitty af) than anything he would do.

at this point we should be romanticizing the 2008 tour, at least they had interesting setlists and billy's voice hadn't completely left the building yet.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:50 PM   #180
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
fuck yes.

you lunatics saying oceania is better than the zeit need to check yo-selves!

stellar, mabelle, and the title track zeitgeist are better than literally everything on oceania.. jimmy might have saved it, but it's hard to imagine that record with him because the way the drums are even recorded sound so completely different (shitty af) than anything he would do.

at this point we should be romanticizing the 2008 tour, at least they had interesting setlists and billy's voice hadn't completely left the building yet.
You mean the tour where Billy brought up random audience members to berate them or pretend they’re James Iha?