Great work; just when I was getting bored of nertphoria

Old 12-21-2016, 05:53 PM   #32
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams of glass View Post
yet another boring review....

PROS:

Billy shreds on this. The last time we have heard any quality solos on an SP album.

Jimmy shreds. He's in top form, but again marred by bizzare production choices.

I feel like this album was pretty experimental, as far as guitar tones/effects used/weird shit in the background.

Ultimately, this is an SP record. It has all the obvious quirks and earmarks of every other release, it's just seems like they gave more of a shit about the idea of the song than the actual nuts and bolts composition.
I liked the guitar solo on "A Song for a Son."

Old 12-21-2016, 06:56 PM   #33
Elphenor
Braindead

ZG sucks really bad and will always suck really bad

Old 12-21-2016, 07:36 PM   #34
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

Zeitgeist > Monuments > Teargarden > Oceania

Old 12-21-2016, 08:06 PM   #35
Elphenor
Braindead

It's funny because the ordering actually goes the exact reverse of what you've posted there

Old 12-21-2016, 08:12 PM   #36
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

You sound like a casual fan.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:17 PM   #37
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
It's funny because the ordering actually goes the exact reverse of what you've posted there
Here's the way I look at it. If you prefer Oceania, then you prefer the ethereal, textural side of SP. That's fine. Who doesn't?

Problem is, you're not going to get it without James.

Zeitgeist is the purest of the post-reunion albums because it features BC and JC doing what they do best. Cranking out riffs. Also it's the only album to feature the most original members.

And without someone pretending to be James. Zeitgeist, for all its faults, is the purest post-reunion album.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:31 PM   #38
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

Production has never turned me off of an album. If I really cared about production I would be listening to 5:1 stereo albums of random wind noises and swooshing sounds going from ear to ear. Songs are songs. MCIS is an amazing record yet everyone complains it sounds too muddy. Didn't stop it. Early Rolling Stones records sound like garbage, are out of time, often off key, etc. Doesn't matter. There's a Velvet Underground record that has 2 mixes. One of Lou's and one from the bigtime producer. The differences are subtle. Doesn't change the record.

Really the only complaints I've heard about Z is that the guitar is too metallic and the vocals are too far in front. I fail to see how that's a giant line in the sand. Complaining about the production is a giant cop-out. You either like the songs or you don't.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:43 PM   #39
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Lol prefering shit over shit

lol comparing shit with shit

you guys must be some those "in the low thousands"

Old 12-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #40
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

https://thewinewankers.files.wordpre...le-of-wine.png

Old 12-21-2016, 09:20 PM   #41
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Now there's an album that needs a fucking remix.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:38 PM   #42
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabshack View Post
Here's the way I look at it. If you prefer Oceania, then you prefer the ethereal, textural side of SP. That's fine. Who doesn't?

Problem is, you're not going to get it without James.

Zeitgeist is the purest of the post-reunion albums because it features BC and JC doing what they do best. Cranking out riffs. Also it's the only album to feature the most original members.

And without someone pretending to be James. Zeitgeist, for all its faults, is the purest post-reunion album.
There's nothing between those albums that I consider worthy to enter my ears but ZG is just absolutely unpleasant Wtf is this garbage for a good 90 percent of its runtime

It is shockingly terrible

Old 12-21-2016, 09:41 PM   #43
Elphenor
Braindead

Honestly I change my mind and say TBK is the best thing he has done out of that trash because a couple songs are kind of novel and I can't say I regret hearing them

Old 12-21-2016, 09:46 PM   #44
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Production has never turned me off of an album. If I really cared about production I would be listening to 5:1 stereo albums of random wind noises and swooshing sounds going from ear to ear. Songs are songs. MCIS is an amazing record yet everyone complains it sounds too muddy. Didn't stop it. Early Rolling Stones records sound like garbage, are out of time, often off key, etc. Doesn't matter. There's a Velvet Underground record that has 2 mixes. One of Lou's and one from the bigtime producer. The differences are subtle. Doesn't change the record.

Really the only complaints I've heard about Z is that the guitar is too metallic and the vocals are too far in front. I fail to see how that's a giant line in the sand. Complaining about the production is a giant cop-out. You either like the songs or you don't.
I agree with this and I've said it here before I don't think ZG is an okay album with a different production

The songs are boring the guitar tone is garbage the vocal style is excruciating nothing can save it

Old 12-21-2016, 09:57 PM   #45
redbreegull

Quote:
the bottom line is that most of the songs are not even close to being good. that's the most central problem. but the bad guitar tone, the bad vocals, the bad overall production do play a role. Bad production can kill an album IMO. This one just happens to have bigger problems

Old 12-21-2016, 10:24 PM   #46
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Bad production can kill an album IMO.
So you believe you can polish a turd? No wonder you're a Taylor Swift fan.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:25 PM   #47
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 12-21-2016, 10:25 PM   #48
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

please, can you guys just stop trying to convince yourself a horrific turd of a record from 2007 is decent music

you need to let go now

Old 12-21-2016, 10:27 PM   #49
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Launcher View Post
Back then the album really stunned me (positively), but I was in another mindset, and besides, listening to new pumpkins (whatever formation) material after that break might have added extra positve emotions, but the songs are quite underwhelming, but still not totally bad. The production with all the multibollys makes me cringe nowadays, but that's RTB's fault, I would say. Some songs though still move me nowadays, like Bleeding the Orchid and United States, maybe because the "old" SP shines thru them. Well, overall that album still stands out positively today, after all that crap that followed afterwards with teargarden (except some acoustic live variations of those songs, maybe..but billy's voice was somehow shitty).
I'm in the same boat. I was stoked about a Pumpkins comeback and really liked the album at the time and listened to it a lot during that spring/summer. There was a few songs I'd skip: Never Lost, God and Country ETC but I was really into songs like That's the way (I was enamored with it), Pomp, Come On (Lets Go!) and Tarantula ETC. The album was a great statement at the time because I was almost expecting Corgan to try and capitalize on the whole EMO craze.

With that said, I do have to admit that it hasn't aged all that well for me. It's not that I don't like it or whatever, it's just I never really feel the urge to revisit it all that often and if I do I mostly only do it for Pomp and Circumstance (outros Corgans best lead guitar work since the MCIS era)

It's too bad it got such a bad rap. I think if it went over a little better that maybe we would have saw a proper follow up with JC.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:29 PM   #50
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

IDK the album's production has always sat well with me. Billy was channeling mid-80s guitar metal licks and dynamics and the production sounds like it.

I guess maybe it sounds wrong for a person not too familiar with the history of rock and metal, but to a lot of us it's a great throwback album.

I imagine its like looking at a pair of Billy's Dunks and saying "oh my god gross those shoes look like they're 30 years old" but in fact they are brand new and made to look retro-style 30 years old and if you knew anything about Nike shoes you would see the subtle differences and appreciate the changes. Just my two cents.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:31 PM   #51
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy's only mistake with Zeitgeist was forgetting that his fanbase left after Adore. Who else would want mid-80s sneaker-metal?

Old 12-21-2016, 10:32 PM   #52
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

lol that is some powerful rationalizing

Old 12-21-2016, 10:32 PM   #53
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
please, can you guys just stop trying to convince yourself a horrific turd of a record from 2007 is decent music

you need to let go now
No no! Oh no! Oh my! Merciful Heavens! Dear me then Bellis minions would dwindle from the thiusands into the hundreds and we can't have that happening now.

o no.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:33 PM   #54
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

Just thinking out loud (obviously): Zeitgeist is clearly sneaker-metal. There's a rare contingent of rock fans that like that sort of thing. It all makes sense now.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:34 PM   #55
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
I liked the guitar solo on "A Song for a Son."
You liked that bloated dad-rock piece of crap?

Good grief, that whole era makes me cringe.

Everybody gather for themselves! Everybody gather for themselves! themselves! Everyone! Everyone! YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Old 12-21-2016, 10:35 PM   #56
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Zeitgeist > Monuments > Teargarden > Oceania
I'd flip Teargarden and Oash, but otherwise spot on dude

Old 12-21-2016, 10:36 PM   #57
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

I've had Z on repeat for the past 2 hours and it shreds. Makes me want to go buy a pair of these

http://www.zappos.com/images/z/1/7/9...95180-p-2x.jpg

Old 12-21-2016, 10:38 PM   #58
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

http://0.tqn.com/d/80music/1/0/w/U/-/-/146224734.jpg

you should be afraid

Old 12-21-2016, 10:43 PM   #59
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
IDK the album's production has always sat well with me. Billy was channeling mid-80s guitar metal licks and dynamics and the production sounds like it.

I guess maybe it sounds wrong for a person not too familiar with the history of rock and metal, but to a lot of us it's a great throwback album.

I imagine its like looking at a pair of Billy's Dunks and saying "oh my god gross those shoes look like they're 30 years old" but in fact they are brand new and made to look retro-style 30 years old and if you knew anything about Nike shoes you would see the subtle differences and appreciate the changes. Just my two cents.
The main problem is that Corgan just sounds like shit vocally. The musicianship for the most part is produced fine. It's just when Corgan tries to harmonize with himself that it almost sounds like nails on a chalkboard.

I mean take Doomsday Clock: you have this rip-roaring song and you have Corgan croaking away on it like he just rolled out of bed.

It's no coincidence that the best songs (That's The way, Pomp and Circumstance) are also his best vocal performances on the album.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:49 PM   #60
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post

I mean take Doomsday Clock: you have this rip-roaring song and you have Corgan croaking away on it like he just rolled out of bed.
IDK I find that juxtaposition to be kind of awesome