Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2018, 04:24 PM   #301
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

What? Jim's drums are hardly quiet on the record, if anything they're more buried on Mellon Collie

Old 08-30-2018, 04:49 PM   #302
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Billy looked really unhealthy in 2005. Speed?

Old 08-30-2018, 04:58 PM   #303
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Depression and poor eating patterns I'd wager

Old 08-30-2018, 05:04 PM   #304
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
What? Jim's drums are hardly quiet on the record, if anything they're more buried on Mellon Collie
maybe they just sound that way to me because of the overemphasis on the vocals and brickwalled mastering. I think what I'm trying to say is the dynamic range on the drums is sort of truncated or something. There's no breathing room. It feels muddled and claustrophobic. It's like listening to a good song in a loud bar and you have to strain to hear it.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:59 PM   #305
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
Wow, Billy was a skinny chap in those days.
probably his best looking period. After this he got rail thin and had those amphetamine eyes, then it was all fat boi from then on

Old 08-31-2018, 12:03 AM   #306
lawson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
the fuck are you trying to say
I thought it was funny to imagine god and country as being part of the tonight tonight box set single. Which is, like, exactly what I said.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:19 AM   #307
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtSampson View Post
probably his best looking period. After this he got rail thin and had those amphetamine eyes, then it was all fat boi from then on
Aside from Gish era, he looked his best during the Adore era.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:38 AM   #308
spumpernickel
Amish Rake Fighter

i don't think billy looked unhealthy in those photos. being skinny or fat (having more or less body fat) doesn't necessarily mean someone is healthy or unhealthy. Bmi is a very limited/flawed thing but i doubt he has ever been technically underweight according to it. maybe he *was* unhealthy in some way but i don't think it's apparent from pics around this time

Old 08-31-2018, 02:43 AM   #309
spumpernickel
Amish Rake Fighter

the zeitgeist mixes are certainly weird/flawed by some objective standard (which he pretty much just admitted in his insta q+a). I kind of get a kick though out of how the album starts with that massive drum fill and the drums sound huge and then the guitars come in and they're even louder and then billy's vocals come in and they're even louder but it's his tiny thin voice lol

Old 08-31-2018, 02:45 AM   #310
spumpernickel
Amish Rake Fighter

i wonder if the mixes sucked because they were just excited to work with roy thomas baker and didn't challenge him on a bad job

Old 08-31-2018, 06:09 AM   #311
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by spumpernickel View Post
i wonder if the mixes sucked because they were just excited to work with roy thomas baker and didn't challenge him on a bad job
AKA "Trust the guy who did Bohemian Rhapsody" syndrome.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:35 AM   #312
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spumpernickel View Post
Can't imagine that's the case, as most of what was done since sounds the same (see: Solara).

Old 08-31-2018, 08:07 AM   #313
emilem
Demi-God

vocals on ZG seem too loud because the melodies are boring and lyrics are really bad. if they turned them down you would probably complain about vocals being too buried because you would have to listen to a wall of boring guitars. it's not a mixing problem, it's a songwriting problem.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:16 AM   #314
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah I never really had too much of an issue with the vocals being too loud on Zeitgeist; I can still hear the instrumental parts fine. The problem is that some of the lyrics suck and his voice sounds really bad on certain songs. The Billy Choir thing also ruins a few songs.

Last edited by Zer0 Hour : 09-07-2018 at 10:39 AM.

Old 09-01-2018, 03:19 AM   #315
Alice
Minion of Satan

Needs more sad

Old 09-10-2018, 06:19 PM   #316
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Zeitgeist was just a big hunk of disappointment. The mix and in particular the focus on the vocals killed it stone dead. The only Pumpkins album I barely listen to. Some of the songs could be good but all are ruined to varying degrees. Many sounded a lot better live, confirming that the studio decisions were fucking awful. A remaster could salvage it but it'd take a lot of work.

Oceania, by contrast is a solid album. it's not SP1 and the drums are a big meh but there are few shudder-inducing moments. Saw the pre-release shows where they played about half the album and Pinwheels, Oceania and Pale Horse were great. This didn't quite carry over to the recordings but they're still good tracks. Coming after the misstep that was TbK it was encouraging, despite Byrne not being a good fit. But it didn't sell so it got tossed overboard.

Monuments I have mixed feelings about. I actually like quite a few of the songs but Billy phones in the lyrics somewhat which detracts. Like on the song Monuments, really like the track but the lyrics are lightweight.

In more than a decade of wrong turns the biggest error is probably abandoning the American Gothic sound. This is the route they should have continued on, imo.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:02 PM   #317
Elphenor
Braindead

but only Rose March was good on American Gothic

Old 09-10-2018, 08:07 PM   #318
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

rose march is not good. fuckin slow poked gtfooh

Old 09-10-2018, 08:30 PM   #319
fuzzyroes
Banned

I'm with you Elphy. Rose March is the only song I like on American Gothic too. It was the one thing that gave me hope moving forward after all those lackluster singles that they released.

I love this performance. Jeff's noodling actually adds to the song here.

Feels like vintage SP to me.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:32 PM   #320
Cal Chuchesta
Amish Rake Fighter

bleeding the orchid

Aaaaaaaaa AAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaa AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Old 09-10-2018, 09:06 PM   #321
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

ok i listened to rose march and it is pretty good. i take it back.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:24 PM   #322
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I'm with you Elphy. Rose March is the only song I like on American Gothic too. It was the one thing that gave me hope moving forward after all those lackluster singles that they released.

I love this performance. Jeff's noodling actually adds to the song here.

Feels like vintage SP to me.
Damn, listening to this performance was way more of a nostalgic experience than I was expecting - if they'd approached it on AG more like this, more of an acoustic/electric hybrid instead of the dry thing we actually got, it mighta been a genuinely great little EP, instead of just an OK one

Old 09-10-2018, 09:25 PM   #323
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Or maybe they did do it like that & my memory's just feeding me with "alt facts" right now

Old 09-10-2018, 09:30 PM   #324
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Chris Isaak version ain't bad either tbh, just re-discovered that one

Old 09-11-2018, 10:55 AM   #325
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenewRevive View Post
Zeitgeist was just a big hunk of disappointment. The mix and in particular the focus on the vocals killed it stone dead. The only Pumpkins album I barely listen to. Some of the songs could be good but all are ruined to varying degrees. Many sounded a lot better live, confirming that the studio decisions were fucking awful. A remaster could salvage it but it'd take a lot of work.

Oceania, by contrast is a solid album. it's not SP1 and the drums are a big meh but there are few shudder-inducing moments. Saw the pre-release shows where they played about half the album and Pinwheels, Oceania and Pale Horse were great. This didn't quite carry over to the recordings but they're still good tracks. Coming after the misstep that was TbK it was encouraging, despite Byrne not being a good fit. But it didn't sell so it got tossed overboard.

Monuments I have mixed feelings about. I actually like quite a few of the songs but Billy phones in the lyrics somewhat which detracts. Like on the song Monuments, really like the track but the lyrics are lightweight.

In more than a decade of wrong turns the biggest error is probably abandoning the American Gothic sound. This is the route they should have continued on, imo.
I agree with most of that. Oceania isn't perfect but I feel like, from a songwriting standpoint, it's much more interesting than Zeitgeist. I don't actually think Billy was phoning it in on ZG but it sounds that way in a lot of spots and some of the lyrics just fucking SUCK. Oceania has some weak lines and licks here and there but it has a number of songs I revisit a good bit. ZG is just so forgettable aside from a couple of tracks. Had he at least included Stellar and the title track on the album (rather than making them bonus tracks) and dumped For God and Country, Doomsday Schlock and some other tracks, maybe ZG might have been worthy.

Monuments, aside from Tiberius and Drum & Fife, just feels like Billy took the worst parts of TFE and his post-ZG/pre-Oceania material and made a (short) album out of it. It's definitely the Pumpkins release I listen to the least.

I liked American Gothic though. Sunkissed, Again and The Rose March are all good. I think Pox would have been better as an all electric, heavy song, but it's not awful.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #326
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

I don't even consider MTaE "Smashing Pumpkins". It's Billy, Jeff, and the guy from Motley Crue. That's not a band. He should've released it as a solo album or a different name.

I agree though, Oceania feels more like a band album. So I consider that Pumpkins.

And anything with Jimmy on it is automatically Pumpkins anyway (unless it's Zwan).

Old 09-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #327
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

Zeitgeist is Billy looking at what Green Day did on American Idiot and thinking that it was good.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:45 PM   #328
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
I don't even consider MTaE "Smashing Pumpkins". It's Billy, Jeff, and the guy from Motley Crue. That's not a band. He should've released it as a solo album or a different name.

I agree though, Oceania feels more like a band album. So I consider that Pumpkins.

And anything with Jimmy on it is automatically Pumpkins anyway (unless it's Zwan).
Yeah, MTaE is some old bullshit.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:34 PM   #329
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
Damn, listening to this performance was way more of a nostalgic experience than I was expecting - if they'd approached it on AG more like this, more of an acoustic/electric hybrid instead of the dry thing we actually got, it mighta been a genuinely great little EP, instead of just an OK one
the roses at your feet part sends me

I don't like the intro, and the vocals are still not what I want

but otherwise it's solid and I'm glad it exists

Old 09-11-2018, 04:36 PM   #330
SPLATTER
Demi-God

united states is still killer though. and live it was even better. blows the roof off.