Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2018, 04:00 PM   #1
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Michael Stipe, Melissa Auf de Maur to Host Courtney Love Tribute

Anyone else hear about this?

“Courtney’s legacy is vital to the voice of women in our culture. The passion she brings to her life and art fuels and inspires the long fought battle for the empowerment of alternative voices as they take center stage at last!,” - Auf der Maur

It sounds like Melissa is doing her former frontwoman a solid and trying to make her relevant again. But it's a bit of a surprise to see Michael Stipe come out of the woodwork for this. And then you have Chloe Sevigny, the guy from the National, and that dude who plays Micro on The Punisher (huh?) for some reason.

Gotta say, this is one weird bit of alternative rock news. I mean, Courtney is (or was) something of a rock icon. But I feel like she's tarnished her legacy to the point that she's kind of a joke now. I mean, she humped Billy's leg on stage a couple weeks ago. Anyway, what do the rest of you think of this?

Old 08-27-2018, 04:25 PM   #2
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

don't care because it's courtney. there's something to be said for aging with grace

Old 08-27-2018, 04:33 PM   #3
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Courtney has been a thief and a cheat since at least 1988. Let's talk about Babes in Toyland, Bratmobile, L7, Bikini Kill or any other great band from that era instead.

Quote:
So this is something that comes up in pretty much every Babes article that I read, and I’ve heard a lot of different stories, so I want to get the straight scoop. Why do people think that Courtney Love was in Babes in Toyland?

Bjelland: Because she lied.

Barbero: [laughs] She’s a liar!

Bjelland: That’s the end of it.

But the story is that she once rehearsed with you, right? Is that what happened?

Barbero: She lived in my house for a little while. And then we did a concert together at the Orpheum. It was in 1988. It was called O-88 with Butthole Surfers, and then it was the Cows and Bastards, and Run Westy Run, and Babes in Toyland. And I guess Maureen took Courtney to the airport after she stole all the money.

Herman: Yes. So, me and my friend had a bunch of ecstasy we were going to sell at the show, but we took it all. [laughs] So I remember that show. Because I was in the catwalk watching it. But yeah, Courtney came—and for some reason she stayed over at my house, which was really odd. She didn’t want to go wherever she was staying, so she stayed and stayed, and then the next day she wanted me to take her to the airport. And so I drove her to the airport. She had just had some weird fight with the guy at the desk, and then she left. She said, “I’m going to go to L.A. and I’m going to get my face done and I’m going to be famous.” That’s what she said.

She literally said that?

Herman: That’s what she said.

Bjelland: And then she did.

Barbero: She took all the money from the ticket office and I was blackballed from the security, and all of that kind of stuff. So it wasn’t good. But she lived in my house, and one time I think when we were rehearsing she came down and probably picked up something and tried to play and we were just like, get out of here.

Bjelland: I feel bad because it screwed Lori over. You know, she’s the one that stuck in Minneapolis, so everyone of course was asking her for the money to get paid. Because she fled. But just make that clear. Let that be known.
Lori B. paid all of the bands out of her own pocket and I'm sure there wasn't much to go around in '88 since they didn't really "break" until 1992 or whenever.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:34 PM   #4
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

https://i.imgur.com/EE9CH6U.gif

Old 08-27-2018, 04:37 PM   #5
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Courtney Love is the opposite of feminism. What a load of crap. Drug addled social climber who leveraged her sexuality to get where she wanted. Such a role model for young girls.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:40 PM   #6
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

This feels like a bizarro-world version of the above celebration in that now theres an Ex-Pumpkin and a bald guy paying tribute instead.

Will someone hump Courtney's leg? Time will tell!

Old 08-27-2018, 05:11 PM   #7
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Courtney Love is the opposite of feminism. What a load of crap. Drug addled social climber who leveraged her sexuality to get where she wanted. Such a role model for young girls.
I think your judgement is the opposite of feminism.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:15 PM   #8
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
I think your judgement is the opposite of feminism.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:18 PM   #9
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Angry

look at those crossed legs. they must neutered or anti-american or something.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:26 PM   #10
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

i neutered yer dad

Old 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM   #11
HerVelvetSpleen
Pledge

Quote:
The definition of feminism has nothing to do with being a role model for young girls. When a Male frontman is a crazy, drug-addled mess it's fucking cool. When Courtney does it she's disgusting. I'm not here to argue that she's mentally stable or a good person, but she's a rock icon who is famous for more than just who she slept with. Let's start with the fact that Pretty On the Inside was more popular than Bleach and is a hands down better album.

She deserves some of the bad press, sure, but every Hole album from the 90s deserves praise as well. Love her or hate her, she rocked 90s feminism.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:57 PM   #12
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
i neutered yer dad

Old 08-27-2018, 06:03 PM   #13
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I like Hole and everything, but a feel as though there are a million better candidates for "inspirational women in rock music" than Courtney Love.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #14
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I don't even have any special antipathy for her or anything. It's just a weird choice.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:06 PM   #15
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerVelvetSpleen View Post
The definition of feminism has nothing to do with being a role model for young girls. When a Male frontman is a crazy, drug-addled mess it's fucking cool. When Courtney does it [in her 50s] she's disgusting. I'm not here to argue that she's mentally stable or a good person, but she's a rock icon who is famous for more than just who she slept with. Let's start with the fact that Pretty On the Inside was more popular than Bleach and is a hands down better album.

She deserves some of the bad press, sure, but every Hole album from the 90s deserves praise as well. Love her or hate her, she rocked 90s feminism.
fixed

Old 08-27-2018, 06:49 PM   #16
RAWK
Pledge

Courtney Love is a mess who was destined to be a prostitute and lucked out by fucking rock stars and leeching off of them. She is trash.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:17 PM   #17
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Let's start with the fact that Pretty On the Inside was more popular than Bleach and is a hands down better album. .
Laughable at best. I’ve literally never seen anyone say that before. You’re entitled to your opinion of course. But Bleach is a classic from start to finish. Pretty On the Inside, a mere footnote. Also, there was a quite curious quantum leap in the songwriting on Live Through This that conincided with cohabitation with Kurt.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:50 PM   #18
HerVelvetSpleen
Pledge

I'm willing to bet you have zero clue what any track on Pretty on the Inside sounds like. Pitting Nirvana against Hole in both band's entirety of course Nirvana is better. Their legacy makes Bleach classic. I assert my opinion as someone who has cultivated 20 year relationships with both albums. I'm willing to bet you know nothing of Pretty on the inside.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:57 PM   #19
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I own the cd. Do I need to post a pic of it on my shelf? It’s ok. It’s just not great in my opinion.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:13 PM   #20
HerVelvetSpleen
Pledge

Quote:
I own the cd. Do I need to post a pic of it on my shelf? .
Yes.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:39 PM   #21
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Didn’t Kurt and Billy write about 80% of Hole’s catalog?

Old 08-27-2018, 09:07 PM   #22
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Yes.
http://i64.tinypic.com/m7got4.jpg

Old 08-27-2018, 09:08 PM   #23
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Pope View Post
Didn’t Kurt and Billy write about 80% of Hole’s catalog?
Yep.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:55 PM   #24
Zerospaced
Apocalyptic Poster

You can tell while listening too. Live Through This has Kurt's influence, while Celebrity Skin is Billy.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:55 PM   #25
HerVelvetSpleen
Pledge

Thank you. Nicely organized, too.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:09 PM   #26
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWK View Post
Courtney Love is a mess who was destined to be a prostitute and lucked out by fucking rock stars and leeching off of them. She is trash.
IMHO she has borderline personality disorder, and she appeals to equally fucked-up women.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:48 PM   #27
FoolofaTook

sup funbags. you still in a hufflepuff over my excellent ur dad jokes?

Old 08-27-2018, 11:59 PM   #28
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWK View Post
and you care that she fucked rock stars and leeched off them...why exactly? They weren't your friends

Old 08-28-2018, 12:06 AM   #29
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

If courtney was a guy...

...what about it?

Old 08-28-2018, 12:20 AM   #30
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

I read the title, and naturally assumed that Courtney Love had died lol