Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
fuzzyroes
Banned

Default Toys R Us bankrupt

Well folks, it seems like this might be the latest brick and mortar chain to go down in flames.

Isn't that a terrifying thought? Toy stores may very well become a thing of the past.... Little kids won't have the thrill of walking through a toy-store....

That shit's what childhood is all about! Does anyone think that children are gonna get the same experience from looking at pictures of toys on their smart phones? Hell no... You gotta be cruising the aisles.

It's sad to think that we'll for the most part see the end of brick and mortar shops in our life time.

Anyways check this out. Toys R Us cared about their customers. TOYS R US PLEDGE

http://dinosaurdracula.com/wp-conten.../12/tru842.jpg

http://dinosaurdracula.com/wp-conten.../12/tru841.jpg

Old 12-17-2017, 08:29 PM   #2
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

change isn't sad, it's just change.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:29 PM   #3
redbreegull

who gives a flying fack about toys r us? kids certainly don't or that shit wouldn't be bankrupt

Old 12-17-2017, 08:30 PM   #4
redbreegull

like I ain't over here crying tears for geoffrey the giraffe

Old 12-17-2017, 08:32 PM   #5
fuzzyroes
Banned

DIDJA KNOW that neighborhood kids used to bug the abnormally tall and lanky Jeffrey Hyman (AKA Joey Ramone) by calling him Jeffrey Giraffe? Apparently the mascot was newly introduced and the kids found it hysterical and it drove Joey nuts.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:33 PM   #6
fuzzyroes
Banned

Anyhow, in all seriousness RBG, it's not that kids don't love toys... It's that the parents are buying all of that shit from online vendors like Amazon... So brick and mortar shops like Toys R US are going tits up. As adults, we can deal or whatever, even though I miss a lot of the shops... But trips to the toy store for little kids is like a trip to paradise. It's sad to think that they likely won't be having that experience in the future.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:40 PM   #7
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Anyhow, in all seriousness RBG, it's not that kids don't love toys... It's that the parents are buying all of that shit from online vendors like Amazon... So brick and mortar shops like Toys R US are going tits up. As adults, we can deal or whatever, even though I miss a lot of the shops... But trips to the toy store for little kids is like a trip to paradise. It's sad to think that they likely won't be having that experience in the future.
who cares. your sentimental attachment to your personal experiences is a weakness. most kids in human history did not have toys r us.

also phones and video games have hurt the toy industry because that's what kids want, not action figures or barbies. it isn't all because of amazon

Old 12-17-2017, 08:42 PM   #8
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Don't freak out, bud.

Trump's had six companies file Chapter 11 bankruptcy and you still get to enjoy him.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:45 PM   #9
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
who cares. your sentimental attachment to your personal experiences is a weakness. most kids in human history did not have toys r us.

also phones and video games have hurt the toy industry because that's what kids want, not action figures or barbies. it isn't all because of amazon
While that is true and a good point. I'd still argue that the digital gizmos are an attraction for older kids...8 and up... You still have kids 4,5,6 years old and that's really the golden age of stumbling through a toy store.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:48 PM   #10
fuzzyroes
Banned

Even look at a place like McDonalds... That place used to be geared toward kids... Going to McDonalds was always a huge treat... You go now and it's all classy and coffee-shop like. I remember they used to have these outdoor playgrounds, big indoor tube slides the whole 9 yards. It also seemed like they had better happy-meal toys and promotions too.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:48 PM   #11
fuzzyroes
Banned

Kids are just getting a whack deal these days.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:49 PM   #12
redbreegull

Quote:
While that is true and a good point. I'd still argue that the digital gizmos are an attraction for older kids...8 and up... You still have kids 4,5,6 years old and that's really the golden age of stumbling through a toy store.
younger kids probably play with toys more but as someone who worked with kids for many years I can tell you that by school age, most kids have a tablet or device of their own or at least one they can play on all the time

Old 12-17-2017, 08:54 PM   #13
redbreegull

Quote:
Even look at a place like McDonalds... That place used to be geared toward kids... Going to McDonalds was always a huge treat... You go now and it's all classy and coffee-shop like. I remember they used to have these outdoor playgrounds, big indoor tube slides the whole 9 yards. It also seemed like they had better happy-meal toys and promotions too.
Quote:
Kids are just getting a whack deal these days.
mcdonalds has changed its business model because kids are not as profitable a target demographic anymore. mcdonalds relies now more on the old and the poor who can't or don't know how to find cheap food elsewhere. there has also been a cultural shift where lower tier and fast food places have attempted to shed the image of junkiness, childishness, and tchotchkes covering the walls. The restaurant industry as a whole, at least in the US, is actually doing better now than say 10 years ago, but fast food restaurants and "family" places like Applebees have not been carried along with this trend.

kids not eating at mcdonalds and not being lured there by toys is a good thing though

Old 12-17-2017, 08:54 PM   #14
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Chapter 11 bankruptcy will allow them to continue operating, fuzz.

Please understand what you post about. It'd be so nice.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:54 PM   #15
FoolofaTook

Angry

Kids these days can get fucked. Have you seen the legos they got in walmart? Motherfucking ninjas and the millenium falcon... Lucky little bastards.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:57 PM   #16
Elphenor
Braindead

it was all about Circut City

Old 12-17-2017, 08:59 PM   #17
Elphenor
Braindead

anyone been to a Kmart recently

Old 12-17-2017, 09:01 PM   #18
Elphenor
Braindead

remember that time you needed something from radio shack

me neither

Old 12-17-2017, 09:01 PM   #19
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Chapter 11 bankruptcy will allow them to continue operating, fuzz.

Please understand what you post about. It'd be so nice.
You're being presumptuous and smug. I know they're still currently operating... But we've seen the same thing play out regarding Chapter 11 with Tower Records, Virgin Megastore ETC... It's only a matter of time as far as I fathom.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:02 PM   #20
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I haven't seen a Toys R Us or Babies R Us in ages and that sucks because they had all the supplies I need nicely consolidated into one overpriced store.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:04 PM   #21
redbreegull

yeah Toys R Us hasn't been in this area for a long time. The one near my place has been gone for at least a decade. Kmart is still around though and it hasn't changed much. Our radioshacks just recently disappeared.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:04 PM   #22
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
anyone been to a Kmart recently
Man, I love going in those shit type of stores... Especially the ones that haven't been upgraded since the 80's/early 90's. It's just a blast from the past going in there.

There used to be a Canadian chain called Zellers (which is essentially like a Kmart) and the place hadn't changed 1 iota since I was a little kid. It would always be a trip stopping in there. Only a few years back it got changed to a Target and they renovated it and ruined the charm.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:04 PM   #23
ilikeplanets
Braindead

The toy store here is called "Hooked On Toys" and for some reason I find it inappropriate enough to smirk every time I pass it.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:08 PM   #24
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
mcdonalds has changed its business model because kids are not as profitable a target demographic anymore. mcdonalds relies now more on the old and the poor who can't or don't know how to find cheap food elsewhere. there has also been a cultural shift where lower tier and fast food places have attempted to shed the image of junkiness, childishness, and tchotchkes covering the walls. The restaurant industry as a whole, at least in the US, is actually doing better now than say 10 years ago, but fast food restaurants and "family" places like Applebees have not been carried along with this trend.

kids not eating at mcdonalds and not being lured there by toys is a good thing though
Yeah that's a good point. But I feel like it's a losing strategy in the end... You get all the young people on board and in love with the chain and you have a customer for life.

I try to be cognizant about eating healthy, and do my best, but even so, I'll treat myself to McDonalds despite knowing that it's terribly unhealthy. Mcdonalds is just a part of my DNA at this point.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:09 PM   #25
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
yeah Toys R Us hasn't been in this area for a long time. The one near my place has been gone for at least a decade. Kmart is still around though and it hasn't changed much. Our radioshacks just recently disappeared.
I haven't been in a Kmart in at least a decade and I actually looked into this they've been losing an exponential amount of money for almost 10 years now it's impressive that they still exist

Old 12-17-2017, 09:10 PM   #26
fuzzyroes
Banned

Targeting old people people and poor people seems to be conceding and just chasing the easiest targets.

I guess it's working to some extent though, cause every time I go to the place it's littered with old people.

Oh, and now they just have this touch screen thing were you order, and if you wanna pay with cash there's only one kid up at a till. I'm not digging that shit either...

Old 12-17-2017, 09:12 PM   #27
ilikeplanets
Braindead

i honestly thought people didn't shop at Kmart on purpose

Old 12-17-2017, 09:12 PM   #28
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Kids these days can get fucked. Have you seen the legos they got in walmart? Motherfucking ninjas and the millenium falcon... Lucky little bastards.

That millenium falcon thing is fucking sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. I think they were asking like 79 dollars or something though? Probably worth it and all, but not something that I would wanna fork over as a collector. I like to keep my collectables mint in the package, so what good would that be if I can't build it? haha

Old 12-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #29
Elphenor
Braindead

I kinda wish all these places would go to automated registers even if it meant I'm out of a job

I shamefully shop at Walmart because self scan is so great

Old 12-17-2017, 09:16 PM   #30
ilikeplanets
Braindead

yeah i can't stand going through human-operated lines, no offense to any cashiers. i dread using my WIC checks because i have to for those T_T