Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 10-23-2014, 08:16 AM   #1
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Default Gough Whitlam

I thought maybe a lot of you wouldn't know who he was and that made me sad, so I thought i'd share a little bit with you guys:

Gough Whitlam was the 21st Prime Minister of Australia, from December 5th 1972 until November 11th 1975, when he was sacked from his position by John Kerr, the Governor-General at the time. This was the only time in Australian history a Prime Minister has been sacked by the Governor-General, who is essentially the voice of the british monarchy inside of the Australian commonwealth.

During his 3 years in office, the Whitlam government, amongst other things:
  • Withdrew Australian troops from Vietnam and ended conscription
  • Established the National Film and Television School, Australian Trade Practices Commission, National Parks and Wildlife Service, Law Reform Commission, Australian Film Commission, Australia Council, Australian Heritage Commission, Consumer Affairs Commission, Technical and Further Education Commission, Ministry Of Aboriginal Affairs and Department Of Defence.
  • Made higher education free to an entire generation of Australians - my parent's generation - who lived without student debt.
  • Created the Racial Discrimination Act, the Sexual Discrimination Act, and the Workplace Discrimination Act
  • Withdrew support from apartheid South Africa, re-established communications with China, and granted independence to Papua New Guinea
  • Increased pensions, revalued the dollar, slashed tariffs across the board and established the national medibank, the medical branch of our equivalent of social security; andf
  • Instituted the recognition of Aboriginal land rights.

He died on Tuesday morning, at the age of 98. He was, from all the Australian history i've been taught, our only truly great national leader, and really the only folk hero/people's hero our country has ever had. I know he was one of a very small handful of my countrymen I ever looked up to. It's a weird feeling to have a heavy heart for a politician, but here I am writing all this for you guys.

http://resources1.news.com.au/images...gh-whitlam.jpg

"A conservative government survives essentially by dampening expectations and subduing hopes. Conservatism is basically pessimistic, reformism is basically optimistic"

http://resources1.news.com.au/images...7725-gough.jpg

"Vincent Lingiari, I solemnly hand to you these deeds as proof, in Australian law, that these lands belong to the Gurindji people and I put into your hands this piece of the earth itself as a sign that we restore them to you and your children forever."

Old 10-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #2
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

SOUNDED LIKE A LIBERAL NUT.

j/k seemed like a great man. It's nice he got to live that old. Proof the good don't always die young.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:03 AM   #3
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Where are guys like him these days...? Rest in peace Mr Whitlam.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:18 AM   #4
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

Sounds like a good egg, and I don't think you find too many of them in politics, it's normally the ones willing to sell out their morals who rise to the top. Shame he got sacked how he did, but it looks like he left a positive legacy.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:18 AM   #5
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

It's being systematically eroded...

Old 10-24-2014, 06:35 AM   #6
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

bernie sanders elizabeth warren wendy davis until they disappoint me

Old 10-24-2014, 06:56 AM   #7
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 10-24-2014 at 07:06 AM.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:05 AM   #8
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Plenty of people like him in the USA. But in the past 45 years they havent made it to the presidency. And when they do (Obama) they get a hostile congress. Look at all the Dems that were crucified or ignored by the media in primaries or even the general election. Dukakis, Gore, Edward Kennedy, Howard Dean, Paul Wellstone, Kucinich. Eugene McCarthy ran against Nixon in 68 on an anti war and pro equality platform. Nixon destroyed him.

Then of course there was Robert Kennedy, who was murdered.

Also FDR and Johnson put through enormous legislative changes. Johnson sacrificed his own party to enact civil rights legislation.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:23 AM   #9
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

shut the fuck up, scotty

Old 10-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #10
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
bernie sanders elizabeth warren wendy davis until they disappoint me
Wendy Davis has already proved to be disappointing I think.