Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2018, 12:07 PM   #181
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Because solara is a piece of shit song- musically and vocally.
As i said- sp are dead for themasses/public. At leadt in europe people dont even know sp anymore.

What if foo fighters release a new song? 500 000 clicks after 3 days.
Even pearl jam or alicein chgreatstill put out great songs- and aic singer died several years ago.

You can all blame it on billy who says thathe can still write sd or mcis songs- i bet he cant cause he changed his singing and he is 20 years older now.

I love machina 2cause the reverb drowned songs on it have so much more to offer than this dry shitty productions

Old 06-12-2018, 12:08 PM   #182
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Because they are afraid that 60 percent hate the song

Old 06-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #183
slayed23
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post
Because they are afraid that 60 percent hate the song
Are you addressing my post about youtube statistics? I mean that you can't see these on any videos anymore.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:19 PM   #184
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Controversial opinion: zero sounded better here than MCIS vids
Uh, no. Watch Zero on SNL 95’ and get back to us.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:51 PM   #185
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Controversial opinion: the band has always looked tired and out of it, they are and always have been shoegazers
Controversial opinion: zero sounded better here than MCIS vids
this isn't controversial, just makes it sound like you've hardly seen any archival performances

Old 06-12-2018, 01:03 PM   #186
SomaPhreak
Ownz

Post Fallon Performances

James and Jimmy were ace on Fallon. They and the 90's focus will make the upcoming tour the best one in a long time.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:03 PM   #187
jczeroman

I don't know if it is James or not, but that song actually sounds good live.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:10 PM   #188
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Pls fire Jeff. Why does bc force that dude onto everyone. Ten years in the band and he has literally offered nothing of musical value.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:01 PM   #189
Ram27
dumb

He even said, when initially talking about the reunion, that Jeff would fuck off from SP and they'd do a side project together

Old 06-12-2018, 03:34 PM   #190
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Funny how u think that james the savior. These leads were all figured out by billy and james is/was allowed to play them. He played zero a 10000 times. If he wasnt able to play it correctly by now...... Wtf.
Some guys here think that james is so brilliant and added so much in pumpkinland. 98 per cent of the guitar work was figured out by bill.
And now you celebrate james for this performance????
Sure jeff rhas zero stage presence.
But billy is such an ego that he wouldnt let anyone play more than a bit. We all know who wrote the song, dont we??

Old 06-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #191
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

I bet that all songs ep1 are in the can- and james didnt contribute that much. Was he even around when recording???

Old 06-12-2018, 03:47 PM   #192
myosis
Minion of Satan

he was sitting in a can at home

Old 06-12-2018, 04:01 PM   #193
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to myosis again.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:13 PM   #194
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Brothahi wtf are you on about.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:07 PM   #195
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
dude's been here since 1970, I think he knows what being on netphoria means.
True good point. And I respect anyone who has been here long enough to be hating on Billy since he was 2 years old.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:48 PM   #196
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

during the band's heyday corgan's vox were always the worst part about the live band, and they are here. so that's not really a bad thing, at least there's no mike burns to be even shittier than his live vocals

i like the song (to a degree) but the performance was lame, sorry. corgan singing out of key for the entire first verse/prechorus/chorus is spectacularly bad.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:08 PM   #197
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
Insecure? He looks like he always has on stage, expressionless and eternally cool.
I agree, I've always loved James' vibe. He's always been the epitome of that awesome disaffected 90's vibe. And he just looks cool next to Corgan. 2 cool odd looking guys next to each other.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:26 PM   #198
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
Fucking disgusting how one of the biggest names in producer world does such a bad job recording the song. The song itself is average at most if you ask me but after seeing this live performance it seems you could at least make a bit more out of it. There are so many young (or old) and talented lesser known engineers and producers that could have easily made it sound so much more lively or sprawling, instead it was fucking butchered by someone who I assume was ridiculously overpaid.

Have an average song recorded and produced in a better way and it could make a lot of difference.
Well put, I couldn't agree more. The song could have been a decent thrasher, but it sounds so neutered in the studio. A song like this needs a bit of a rougher production quality. Maybe throw a little distortion on the vocals, make the James leads nice and chunky ETC.

I don't know why Ruben has this epic reputation for rock music. The guy has only really excelled with his hip-hop stuff.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #199
fuzzyroes
Banned

Actually, didn't realize he did all the Slayer.

Maybe he wasn't involved much with the recording or something. No clue how he butchered it so badly.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:41 PM   #200
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
during the band's heyday corgan's vox were always the worst part about the live band, and they are here. so that's not really a bad thing, at least there's no mike burns to be even shittier than his live vocals.
Amen to that! I think a lot of casual fans didn't realize how much Byrne was holding back the band and the new material.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:54 PM   #201
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

I like keeping Jeff and unplugging his guitar like the did here just to see how long he will stick around.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:05 PM   #202
Insight_Scoop
Demi-God

Zero was solid. James seemed into it and Billy wasn't dropping consonants.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:14 PM   #203
Insight_Scoop
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post
Funny how u think that james the savior. These leads were all figured out by billy and james is/was allowed to play them. He played zero a 10000 times. If he wasnt able to play it correctly by now...... Wtf.
Some guys here think that james is so brilliant and added so much in pumpkinland. 98 per cent of the guitar work was figured out by bill.
And now you celebrate james for this performance????
Sure jeff rhas zero stage presence.
But billy is such an ego that he wouldnt let anyone play more than a bit. We all know who wrote the song, dont we??
Wow you seem like you get it why don't you post more?

Old 06-13-2018, 01:04 AM   #204
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
during the band's heyday corgan's vox were always the worst part about the live band, and they are here. so that's not really a bad thing, at least there's no mike burns to be even shittier than his live vocals

i like the song (to a degree) but the performance was lame, sorry. corgan singing out of key for the entire first verse/prechorus/chorus is spectacularly bad.
they were only "the worst thing" on a surface level. he was giving so much to those performances it was probably the most emotive thing going on on-stage up there

i don't know why people still try and rationalize like this, yes corgan's vocals were the worst part about this but it's because he didn't sound good and had seemingly no feeling driving them either

Old 06-13-2018, 05:27 AM   #205
Elphenor
Braindead

the 3 second leads you can faintly hear from Iha's side are the most pumpkins thing since the original band

echoing that it should have been on the recording, but the song is still meh

Old 06-13-2018, 05:53 AM   #206
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Solara is fast becoming one of my favourite post-2000 SP tracks - up there with Quasar. What does work about the production is that at least the vocals aren't 10db louder than everything else. They do sit into the mix a bit more, so there's less vibrato evident as well.

I do think it's a catchy track. And it fits in with the artwork / gothic vibe - it has hints of TEITBITE and the likes of Bodies.

Really, Billy's 90s live vocals were awful. I remember seeing them in Dublin in 1995 and he pretty much just screamed the whole set (which wasn't a good thing). Listen to how he sings the likes of Today and Disarm even on Vieuphoria - not a pleasant sound.

His recorded vocals, up to MCIS, were sublime. His MCIS vocals weren't though. Again, they suffered from being dry, almost scratch-vocal takes. Maybe that's what he wanted, but it didn't help his cause. He sang well again on Adore, and Machina was somewhere between the two. While I don't approve of his Zwan-onwards style vocals, if he's going to continue in this vein then there needs to be a happy balance - Solara is nearly there. I'm hopeful for the other new songs.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:51 AM   #207
Try Try Give Up
Oblivious Virgin

Only just discovered this performance randomly on my YouTube homepage.

Without reading what anyone else has said, I’d say it sounds significantly better than the studio version without becoming something that’s going to set the tour alight. Jimmy sounds much more natural here and James actually does something. Who knew? Jeff doesn’t really add anything, but who’s complaining?

Whatever you think of Billy, it’s Rubin who is stealing a living on his reputation at this point, sucking the life out of everything.

In terms of the coming tour, they would still benefit from some female backing vocals, D’arcy’s or otherwise. Pretty obvious oversight, really, with Jack Bates just stood at the back there.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:57 AM   #208
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Katie Cole will sing backing vocals while trying to hit the right keys...

Old 06-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #209
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
they were only "the worst thing" on a surface level. he was giving so much to those performances it was probably the most emotive thing going on on-stage up there

i don't know why people still try and rationalize like this, yes corgan's vocals were the worst part about this but it's because he didn't sound good and had seemingly no feeling driving them either
oh i agree. i just meant from a pure performance standpoint

Old 06-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #210
Elphenor
Braindead

Corgan's out of key nasal scarecrow whine >>>> vibrato hell