Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2019, 11:16 PM   #391
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
I think SP's output from 2010 - 2019 should be enough to prevent and bar the Pumpkins from ever being inducted into the hall of fame. It does tarnish the SP legacy.
Ehhh a lot of bands are inducted on the back of a strong run. Def Leppard and Stevie Nicks for example only had a good 2 or 3 album run. And Pumpkins are so synonymous with the mainstream alt-rock movement that it's pretty much a given that they'll get in eventually because of their 91-96 run.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:19 PM   #392
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
robert smith might not look too great but he sounds great and performs well. that's all that should really matter anyway
Yeah, but he looks like the kinda guy that you wouldn't want your children going near if you saw him sitting at a food-court in a shopping center.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:35 PM   #393
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Yeah, but he looks like the kinda guy that you wouldn't want your children going near if you saw him sitting at a food-court in a shopping center.
I wouldn’t want them near Stevie Nicks either

Old 05-11-2019, 11:43 PM   #394
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
This was also epic

Man, musicians sure don't write songs like they used to, eh guys?

Cool to see Mick Fleetwood in the audience rocking out and supporting Stevie.
Holy shit, I had no idea Stevie was 70 years old! She still looks and sounds amazing. Puts Billy Corgan to shame.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:44 PM   #395
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
I wouldn’t want them near Stevie Nicks either
Stevie's amazing. She broke the glass ceiling as far as women in rock and roll goes.

Old 05-12-2019, 12:10 AM   #396
selection7
Demi-God

As much as we know Corgan wants validation, I'd bet he actually doesn't care much about the RRHoF. After all, the HoF is only as much of an honor as the company you keep, and when Randy Newman, Tupac Shakur, and Janet Jackson are in the hall, and TSP and NIN are not, exactly what is the honor of being inducted? It obviously can't be about their contribution, success, and fame in rock. It can't be about the broader scope of music, in general, because they leave out way too many other genres, and massively underrepresent the genres the do occasionally touch on (hip-hop, bubblegum pop, easy listening).

So if it's neither about rock or about music in general, is it definitively about anything?

From what I can tell, it seems to be about whomever they think will sound good in the yearly press release and will sell tickets to their museum. Not that that's the worst thing in the world, but it also doesn't mean much. When, in his Cure induction speech, Reznor said he'd asked himself how he could take seriously an organization that didn't recognize the Cure, and when Thom Yorke says he doesn't get why it's an honor, they're pretty much saying the same thing I am...except that Trent wasn't going to turn down an opportunity to make a speech to a bunch of famous musicians about his love for the Cure.

Old 05-12-2019, 12:38 AM   #397
selection7
Demi-God

I remember several years ago looking at who TSP was RRHoF eligible with in the first year and year after...and thinking well, there's a 100% chance they get in first year or so because it's hard to find 2 other acts that have even a poor argument at getting in before them, much less a good one, even taking into account that a lot of musicians just don't like Billy. Fast forward some years and here's what basically happened. Right when rock music got to the era (i.e., the early to mid-90's) where it stopped being driven by blues and pop like it had the previous 40 years, the fogeys doing the voting started only voting in 1 newly eligible act a year. As if an era that, all within a span of about 5 years, made famous TSP, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Weezer, Sublime, No Doubt, Alice in Chains, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Garbage, Oasis, RATM, RHCP, etc. should be difficult to find more than one inductee per year.

To be clear, my point is not that we should be up in arms about the injustice of it all, but rather just to take it for what it's worth, and nothing more, because that ship has sailed. Maybe someone will create a real rock HoF one day to fill the void.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:31 AM   #398
T&T
Socialphobic

if you want to stay in the spotlight, you got to stick to what makes you iconic. Trying to re-invent yourself and going against the medias plot-line rarely ever works.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:29 AM   #399
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by selection7 View Post
As much as we know Corgan wants validation, I'd bet he actually doesn't care much about the RRHoF.
IIRC everything he's said about the RRHoF suggests that it's the ONLY thing he cares about. It's like the big baseball prize to him.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #400
bright_doom
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
IIRC everything he's said about the RRHoF suggests that it's the ONLY thing he cares about. It's like the big baseball prize to him.
Exactly. Every time Howard Stern mentions the HOF Billy responds in a “half joking but seriously we should be in there" answer.

If anyone from the HOF is reading this just get it over and done with. Or give him an award of any type.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:45 AM   #401
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Unhappy

I.M. Pei, architect of the Rock of a Hall of Fame, just died, at the age of 102.

Commemorate for a second:

Old 10-08-2020, 04:19 PM   #402
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

not this year

I wonder how much Shiny and Cyr are going to hurt his chances https://www.stereogum.com/2101765/ro...ey-cyrus/news/

Old 10-08-2020, 04:47 PM   #403
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
I wonder how much Shiny and Cyr are going to hurt his chances

Old 10-09-2020, 12:30 AM   #404
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

With the recent output i am sure they never see the hof