Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
That's the intended effect
http://forums.netphoria.org/customav...ar23726_11.gif

Old 09-27-2016, 06:11 PM   #32
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
My iPod Classic recently stopped working. Sound only came out of one earphone. At first, I thought it was the earphones, but I tried them with other devices, as well as tried other earphones with the iPod, and it was the iPod that was fucked.

When I went to see about getting it repaired or replaced at the Apple Store, they told me it'd be over $400 because they aren't being manufactured anymore. No way I'd spend that kind of money.

A lot of people are selling them on eBay for around that price, but I was able to find one that was going for about what I paid for a new one when they were still being made. And this one was like new anyway because the owner barely used it (no scratches or wear or nothing).

But still, no digital device works forever, and I'm kind of worried about how there are few alternatives to the iPod Classic on the market, where it comes to prioritizing disk space over other functions.
I worry about this all the time as well. I absolutely want nothing to do with streaming; I want all of my music offline. My hope is that by the time mine craps out, iPod will make a retro comeback. We're due for it in about 7 years, I'd say.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:12 PM   #33
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Couldn't you just put a high capacity SD card in a cellphone and use that?
But is it really the same thing? Can you shuffle?

Old 09-27-2016, 06:13 PM   #34
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

http://67.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md...k593o2_500.gif

Old 09-27-2016, 08:13 PM   #35
buzzard
Minion of Satan

There would surely be media player apps that allow such things as shuffle and the silencing of incoming calls.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:26 PM   #36
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
dude, you have no idea how complex it was to replace this keyboard, i swear. the guy was basically stephen hawking-ing it while he was doing it. he basically took the whole thing apart, like, even separating stuff off the motherboard, to be able to remove the keyboard platter.

i have a Toshiba laptop, and with my particular model it seems like they designed the keyboard repair\modifying of any kind to be truly infuriatingly dumb and difficult, probably to make repair more expensive and thus more profitable to them. with any other laptop keyboard i know of, you could pop keys right off, clean them, use an air spray, whatever. with this computer, i had one key come off by accident - and i was told it's irreplacable, unless i replace the entire keyboard (which i now had to do - i passed on it back then though, opting to remain with a missing key). one time i even had a bottle of beer spill on a dell laptop, and it wasn't nearly as much hassle getting it back to normal as it was with my current one.
well that sucks. at least you got it working now. my lenova keyboard is shit and keys are always threatening to come off. the original one and my replacement. and the entire case like doesn't stay together right, the screws aren't actually big enough to secure the top of the case to the bottom. i guess they somehow broke some of the surrounding plastic? obviously it worked when i got it. i have a friend who is a repair guy and he said he sees my model all the time with this problem. i mean it doesn't come apart completely because of the extra large hinges (the screen flexes back like 300 degrees) but it shouldn't be like this.

i really like the performance of the computer and was planning on running with it for a while and adding an SSD HD and more memory but the case issue is a deal breaker. bummer. i've had it for over 2 years now and the performance is still good but prob in another 1-2 years i'll be looking for something new. i dont play any new games so the hardest thing it has to deal with are programs for calculating complicated statistics which is only a moderate resource hog. and i do most of that stuff at school anyway.

im glad you didnt have to get a new one. yay for working computers

Old 09-27-2016, 10:14 PM   #37
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Did you try turning it off and then back on?

unplug your comp, wait twenty seconds, and then try restarting it.

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/21760659.jpg

Old 09-27-2016, 10:19 PM   #38
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

that's racist

Old 09-27-2016, 11:13 PM   #39
myosis
Minion of Satan

it's a common stereotype that indians like to do tech support

Old 09-30-2016, 02:42 AM   #40
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
well that sucks. at least you got it working now. my lenova keyboard is shit and keys are always threatening to come off. the original one and my replacement. and the entire case like doesn't stay together right, the screws aren't actually big enough to secure the top of the case to the bottom. i guess they somehow broke some of the surrounding plastic? obviously it worked when i got it. i have a friend who is a repair guy and he said he sees my model all the time with this problem. i mean it doesn't come apart completely because of the extra large hinges (the screen flexes back like 300 degrees) but it shouldn't be like this.

i really like the performance of the computer and was planning on running with it for a while and adding an SSD HD and more memory but the case issue is a deal breaker. bummer. i've had it for over 2 years now and the performance is still good but prob in another 1-2 years i'll be looking for something new. i dont play any new games so the hardest thing it has to deal with are programs for calculating complicated statistics which is only a moderate resource hog. and i do most of that stuff at school anyway.

im glad you didnt have to get a new one. yay for working computers
well i mean, if it's just the holding of the case that's bothering you, surely there are ways to fix that. all it would take is a thicker, longer screw (*cough*), or a few plastic welding touches, and you're good. if that hardware is good it would seem like a waste to get a new machine in the near future.

it's kind of annoying how they obviously build laptops today with a lower life expectancy than they used to. they knowingly cut corners in the design stages to force consumers into buying new products more often. boo.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:18 AM   #41
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Idk, most tech stuff I own tends to last 4-5 years on average, when they finally break i'm usually glad to have an excuse to upgrade.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:02 PM   #42
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
well i mean, if it's just the holding of the case that's bothering you, surely there are ways to fix that. all it would take is a thicker, longer screw (*cough*), or a few plastic welding touches, and you're good. if that hardware is good it would seem like a waste to get a new machine in the near future.

it's kind of annoying how they obviously build laptops today with a lower life expectancy than they used to. they knowingly cut corners in the design stages to force consumers into buying new products more often. boo.
good points. i'll really have to research. you've made me reconsider.