Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
Byelashes
Pledge

Red face Breaking Bad is the greatest show on television.

There should be a thread for this. Why is there no thread for this?

I've been following this show since the first season, but I've really stuck by Walt... until this season. WHAT IS HE THINKING. Oh, wait, he isn't.
I just want to hold Jesse Pinkman and never let go.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
Mooney
Socialphobic

walter feigning a fugue state while walking naked through a supermarket to avoid an argument with his bitch of a wife was pretty great. silly walter.

Last edited by Mooney : 09-15-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Theory: Walt and/or Jesse or the police kill Gus and become the new meth kingpins.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
Banana
Banned

First three seasons were fantastic. This current season has kinda sucked though. I've yet to see the latest episode.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

not as good as entourage huh

Old 09-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
The Omega Concern
Banned

Walt and Jesse got in a huge brawl in Jesse's house. Epic young kid old man fight where Jesse pulled a decent pro wrestling cheap shot move and ended up pounding him out. But Walt got up and walked out, barely. And that's how the episode ended.

Quote:

originally posted by reprise85:

Theory: Walt and/or Jesse or the police kill Gus and become the new meth kingpins.
You're prolly right, but I'd like to see an angle where they could have Walt and Gus team up against the cartel first, then have a showdown between the DEA brother-in-law and Gus with Walt stuck in the middle and Jesse a wild card.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
Banana
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
not as good as entourage huh

It's better than Entourage. Entourage was a fun show to watch.

But it's not better than Mad Men.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
Trotskilicious
Banned

that one girl in that show shore am purty

Old 09-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #9
mxzombie
Braindead

Location: i like traffic lights, but only when they're green.

this show will be ending after the fifth season. i think it was probably a good decision

Old 09-15-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
Trotskilicious
Banned

the wire has five seasons

and it's the best show of AWL TIME

Old 09-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #11
mxzombie
Braindead

Location: i like traffic lights, but only when they're green.

omg connection

Old 09-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #12
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

i watched the first season last weekend. i liked it a lot, waiting for season 2 to arrive

Old 09-15-2011, 10:38 PM   #13
Order 66
Socialphobic

if not for mad men or the wire i would say it is hands down the best show of its era or decade or whatever. the storytelling is more akin to a novel than a tv show or miniseries. i notice a few contrivances here and there but the quality overshadows most if not all of my gripes

Old 09-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #14
Order 66
Socialphobic

since breaking bad was brought up i feel the need to post this. gets me every time

Old 09-15-2011, 11:25 PM   #15
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

the wire is on a level we need to stop using as a comparison. It will be another decade before anything touches the wire.

Back to breaking bad... I've felt for most of this season that Jesse is going to be killed by Walt at some point.

The easy line to connect over the course of the show is the Vic Mackey ending where Walt loses his family and is alone and miserable and forced to live shit out with absolutely no control... ie hell on earth for him.

He's gotta end up dead or in prison just how he gets there. At the hands of the cartel? At the hands of his brother in law? Is he the only one not to 'break bad' and stays honest and arrests walt?

Old 09-15-2011, 11:37 PM   #16
redbull
Immortal

how great would it be if walt dies of cancer at the end of season 5

Old 09-16-2011, 07:05 AM   #17
Byelashes
Pledge

Walt will die; Vince Gilligan already said so.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #18
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

banana, you watch so much TV you must be one of those 800 lb people who can't leave his welfare hotel room. Either that, or you watch two or three shows simultaneously. What shows do you NOT watch?

Old 09-16-2011, 08:27 AM   #19
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PkPhuoko View Post
I've felt for most of this season that Jesse is going to be killed by Walt at some point.
I could see this happening. Walt has been a total bitch for the entire season and it's time for his character to take the next step.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #20
Order 66
Socialphobic

i think when you whittle it all down the show is about jesse and walt's relationship. so when either of them goes down it will be the end of the show imo

Old 09-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #21
Byelashes
Pledge

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
Walt has been a total bitch for the entire season and it's time for his character to take the next step.
Yeah, I'm waiting for this.

And, as much as I really love this show, I am also glad it is only going to be 5 seasons. I'm glad the writers knew it would end before it started. That means it won't disappoint (like fucking Lost). But I disagree that this season sucks. I think this season is pretty intense. I cannot imagine or even begin to guess what they are going to do as a season finale. It's probably different for someone who's been there since the beginning, though.

The last season of Mad Men annoyed the shit out of me. And the next season needs to be here already. AMC does good things, I agree. AMC has my seal of approval.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #22
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
i think when you whittle it all down the show is about jesse and walt's relationship. so when either of them goes down it will be the end of the show imo
well they already said next season is the last season.

They will finish the summer/fall session (3 episdoes left i think) and then when they come back there will be 16 more episodes. So i think that means we've got just around 20 episodes remaining in the series.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/08/14/br...-final-season/

Quote:
Breaking Bad is getting its renewal — for a final season.

AMC has picked up 16 episodes to conclude series. That will bring the award-winning show to a close sometime either next year or in 2013 — depending on how the network and AMC and Sony decide to divvy up the final hours, whether they split them into two more shortened seasons or one (Bad usually runs 13 episodes per season).

“It’s a funny irony — I’d hate to know the date of my own last day on earth, but I’m delighted to know what Walter White’s will be (episodically speaking),” Vince Gilligan said. “This is a great gift to me and to my wonderful writers. It’s knowledge which will allow us to properly build our story to a satisfying conclusion.” Gilligan then added:

“Now, if we don’t manage to pull that off, we’ve got no one to blame but ourselves. Breaking Bad has been a dream job these past four years. Working with the best cast and crew in television has no doubt spoiled me for future projects. I’m lucky to get to work with them on sixteen more episodes, and I will always be grateful to both AMC and Sony Television, who from the beginning, believed in our show and supported me creatively and professionally. We have been able to take risks with ‘Breaking Bad’ which would not have been possible on other networks.”

The deal comes after S0ny shopped around the Breaking Bad to other networks during a tough negotiation period. Breaking Bad and AMC’S breakout hit The Walking Dead have faced some belt tightening in recent months despite strong ratings, with some industry insiders accusing the network’s deal with the showrunner and cast of the acclaimed Mad Men as having zapped the coffers. At any rate, this deal keeps Breaking Bad on AMC, plus gives creator Vince Gilligan plenty of time to give what many consider to be the best drama on TV a creatively satisfying finale.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:45 AM   #23
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byelashes View Post
Yeah, I'm waiting for this.

And, as much as I really love this show, I am also glad it is only going to be 5 seasons. I'm glad the writers knew it would end before it started. That means it won't disappoint (like fucking Lost).
agreed... all I think when people talk about Weeds and Dexter and even It's Always Sunny at this point is "that's still on?" although Weeds has always been a piece of shit and I hate when I try to talk about BB and the other person says "ohh have you seen Weeds or Dexter?". Yeah I've seen them both and I'm not at all interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byelashes View Post
But I disagree that this season sucks. I think this season is pretty intense. I cannot imagine or even begin to guess what they are going to do as a season finale. It's probably different for someone who's been there since the beginning, though.
I was just talking with a friend about this... depending on how this season closes out (and with 4 episodes to go that's plenty of time) this could be my favorite season yet.

My friend thinks season 3 and 4 have been boring -- he likes ATM head crushing, walt blowing shit up, tuco, etc.. which was awesome, but what's really become the main point of the story is the character development,

the impact of Skyler telling Walt "someone has to protect this family from the man who protects this family"... of Walt buying a gun and preparing to shoot a man in the face, although it is awkward and embarrassingly futile...

in regards to Walt's character progression, that he is willing to shoot a man in the face is momentous when you look at Walt's character five episodes prior in season 3, as he sits impotently, submissively across a table from Jesse as Gus berates him for planning to poison his child-killing employee...

Walt tearing down Jesse for "not having the guts" to kill someone when he's spent all 9 episodes of this season trying to recover from what happened to him the last time he had the guts to do what Walt told him to do

which is of course what it all comes back to, the relationship between Jesse and Walt. Jesse just wants some shred of approval or positive reinforcement (he never got any from his own parents) from his mentor / father figure which becomes less and less likely as Walt becomes increasingly self absorbed and fixated on his own survival (his focus has become less and less on his family and more on himself... in season 3 "I fear for my family".... in season 4 "It's all about me")

and of course Gus realizes this, he realizes that Jesse "does what Walt tells him to", that beneath the father/son relationship there has always been a power differential in which Walt is the corrupting factor, the one convincing Jesse to pull the trigger, to do badder and badder shit because it serves Walt's interests.

Gus sees the resentment in Jesse, he sees Jesse second guessing himself, struggling with where his life with Walt has led him, knowing that he should be running away screaming from this guy, but he never runs away because he so desperately wants that fatherly approval...

and Gus manipulates them both, scaring the shit out of Walter by spilling Victor's blood all over him, placing cameras where he knows Walter can see them, bringing Jesse into his inner circle as Walt is left alone and paranoid with his own thoughts of the homicidal Gus and mistrust of everyone around him... it brings out the worst in Walt. who has already brought out the worst in Jesse by making him kill an innocent man.

so yeah, this season is fucking awesome, coming from someone who's been there from season 1

Last edited by killtrocity : 09-17-2011 at 01:53 AM.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:26 AM   #24
Banana
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
i watched the first season last weekend. i liked it a lot, waiting for season 2 to arrive
2nd season is fantastic. I love the girl that's introduced in the 2nd season.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:24 AM   #25
Byelashes
Pledge

"Someone has to protect this family from the man who protects this family," was the greatest moment in Skyler history. She has totally redeemed herself for me.

The character development in this show is what keeps me watching. I mean, there's still a fuckton of violence and action (that guy getting fucking sniped right in front of Jesse, and Gus walking into all those bullets?!), but that's not the focus of the show and I'd argue that it's never been. For me, it's always been, "How far would a man go when he realises he's dying," to, "What does he do when he doesn't die?" And that's intense and it's going to have to reveal a lot about Walt and the people in his life as everything plays out pretty much exactly the opposite of what he expected.

I'm in love with this show.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #26
Mooney
Socialphobic

skylar is easily the worst part of the show. not necessarily the character, either. the actress.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:15 AM   #27
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

banana, there is no way you didn't like tonight's episode

Old 09-19-2011, 08:17 AM   #28
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney View Post
skylar is easily the worst part of the show. not necessarily the character, either. the actress.
I have never been able to get past the name to be honest. Sounds like a name that nobody over their teens should have.

Last night's episode was awesome. About time Gus lost his cool.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #29
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Yeah, great episode.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #30
Eulogy
huh

i think skyler gets more shit than she deserves. yeah she was annoying for a while but now that she's basically made the turn with walt i think she's a much better character. her ploy to get the car wash was pretty coll i thought.