Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 09-07-2016, 06:10 PM   #1591
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
a lot of people need foodstamps and have good reasons for seeking that supplemental help. but a lazy drughead who wastes her money and doesn't work isn't one of them in my eyes. she's what gives people on welfare a bad name.
Again, I agree. 100% (though I can't speak in regards to ilp because quite frankly I don't know enough about her).

My problem though is that once you go down this line of thinking, it goes towards welfare reform which just usually cuts out the people who need it, while those who abuse the system will always find a way.

So while it's unfortunate that certain people take advantage, if it helps the families who need it, I'd rather not fight to take $100 or so a month out of the free-loaders pockets. You may not have been going down that line of thinking, but that's ultimately where this conversation takes me.

Paying for people who won't help themselves isn't ideal, but you can't help the people who need it without helping those people as well.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:11 PM   #1592
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Jesus, re-reading that, it seems really clunky. I hope I made some sort of sense.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:07 PM   #1593
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

ugh, chat thread! i work at a conservatory in a 'black neighborhood' and i hate when white people call and ask if this place is safe. i never entertain that question - i tell them it's no less safe than any part of chicago. and like anywhere, you should always remain vigilant. sometimes i even make a point to tell them i am personally more uncomfortable walking through lakeview (a white neighborhood with its own shootings, robberies, vomit, and weekend rapes) than this neighborhood (so maybe they should look for validation that black people are scary elsewhere).

a white dude just came in and asked why we didn't open our gates in the back so people could come in on their own accord - is it because we're scared of people from the neighborhood? i said no, the lincoln park conservatory does the same and they're in lincoln park (a white neighborhood). we just need to check people in and see who comes like any institution. ugh. assholes and they don't even know it.

Last edited by yo soy el mejor : 09-07-2016 at 07:20 PM.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:26 PM   #1594
yo soy el mejor

but anyway. the jenny lewis show is tomorrow. tim is coming with me even though he knows nothing about her or rilo kiley. what a waste! <3

i ordered these june 29th, so you know i'm pumped.

Last edited by yo soy el mejor : 09-07-2016 at 07:38 PM.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:53 PM   #1595
yo soy el mejor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 09-07-2016, 07:57 PM   #1596
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I have begun another chain of email tirades. This time they're aimed at a local private school whose students are rude and selfish on public transport. They push in ahead of adult passengers and block other adult passengers from exiting the carriage.

One of them tried to tell me that I couldn't have the seat I asked for, because she was saving them for a friend.

I was like uh no. When you travel on a school pass you need to get the fuck up for adults, dumbass. Move yo shit.

Kids. I emailed the head of the school and have received a palming-off email from their assistant.

Oh no. Not so fast, asshole. I ain't don't yet.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:59 PM   #1597
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

It took me a total of maybe 20 minutes to write both emails, so far. And it's totally free.

It's better value entertainment than network tv.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:04 PM   #1598
vixnix
Socialphobic

They should be losing sleep. Private schools are competing with each other in this area, for students. Having their school reflected poorly by the public behaviour of their students has a very real $$$ value.

I made a similar complaint a couple of weeks ago, at another private school, and their students have been well-behaved ever since.

Manners are a big deal here. You don't want to have bad ones.

Quote:
"As a school that advertises itself as [Church Name], I would hope that a large aspect of a [School name] education would involve the cultivation of Christian values like humility and contrition.

In this way, I would hope that an apology on behalf of the school would address not only the inconvenience caused, to myself and other passengers, but also the offence and disappointment caused by such self-centredness and rudeness.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:05 PM   #1599
vixnix
Socialphobic

It's un-Christian to be a bitch. But it feels so right, sometimes, when you're pointing out the sin of a bunch of other people who call themselves Christian and use it as a way of lording over others, as if they're morally superior. When in actuality they're just your garden variety heathen cunts.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:06 PM   #1600
vixnix
Socialphobic

I'm just trying out the use of the word cunt. It feels wrong.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:06 PM   #1601
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
I have begun another chain of email tirades. This time they're aimed at a local private school whose students are rude and selfish on public transport. They push in ahead of adult passengers and block other adult passengers from exiting the carriage.

One of them tried to tell me that I couldn't have the seat I asked for, because she was saving them for a friend.

I was like uh no. When you travel on a school pass you need to get the fuck up for adults, dumbass. Move yo shit.

Kids. I emailed the head of the school and have received a palming-off email from their assistant.

Oh no. Not so fast, asshole. I ain't don't yet.
I find it odd when anybody other than an elementary-school student on a charter school bus en route to a field trip destination tries to "save" seats.

*Sit down in university lecture hall*

"Uh, this seat is saved."

"What are you, six? Are you using the buddy system?"

Like, it's not like you're even supposed to be talking during a lecture, so what does it matter if your BFF is sitting next to you or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
ugh, chat thread! i work at a conservatory in a 'black neighborhood' and i hate when white people call and ask if this place is safe.
Just shrug your shoulders and assure them that radiation levels are only on the higher end of normal. Or rattle off statistics about shark attacks by geographical location to demonstrate that they are comparably safe.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:27 PM   #1602
buzzard
Minion of Satan

You're heading down a bad path, Em.

Next, it'll be the lawn you're up in arms about.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:32 PM   #1603
vixnix
Socialphobic

Well, I'll let the gardener handle that. But if I have to travel on trains, in person, then those kids better damn well behave themselves. I'll tell you that much, for free.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:17 AM   #1604
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Went to the ER for my back and apparently it is covered in bruises I don't remember getting. They asked if someone hit me. Uh, no. I didn't fall either. How??

Old 09-08-2016, 12:36 AM   #1605
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Premature Geriatric Syndrome, I'd say.

This will likely also explain the blue hair.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:41 AM   #1606
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
Went to the ER for my back and apparently it is covered in bruises I don't remember getting. They asked if someone hit me. Uh, no. I didn't fall either. How??
probably happened in a drugged out drunken stupor. That kinda thing happened all the time to me when I partied hard. It's one of the main reasons why I've learned to party without getting outta my mind

Old 09-08-2016, 01:35 AM   #1607
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Premature Geriatric Syndrome, I'd say.

This will likely also explain the blue hair.
It's pink now!

Old 09-08-2016, 01:36 AM   #1608
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
probably happened in a drugged out drunken stupor. That kinda thing happened all the time to me when I partied hard. It's one of the main reasons why I've learned to party without getting outta my mind
All I've been doing for a couple weeks is smoke pot and an occasional beer so it's not possible

Old 09-08-2016, 02:26 AM   #1609
redbreegull

just got home from seeing a mcdonalds themed black sabbath cover band

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/8045...1&s=0&a=t&q=89

Last edited by redbreegull : 09-08-2016 at 02:43 AM.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:29 AM   #1610
vixnix
Socialphobic

Well.

Quote:
Dear [vixnix]

Thank you for your email.
I am so sorry that your experience on public transport with our students has not been a positive one. Let me reassure you that we will communicate your feedback directly to the students and remind them of our expectations.
We do take such feedback seriously, I can also let you know one of our senior staff members will take the opportunity to join them on the train for a few random trips to monitor their behaviour.
I do apologise on their behalf and am grateful you have passed it on to us.
http://thecarnivoreproject.typepad.c...84a7970c-800wi

Old 09-08-2016, 03:13 AM   #1611
Cool As Ice Cream

dunno vix that doesn't look very satisfying
wouldn't it have felt a lot better if you had kneed the students in the kidneys or something

Old 09-08-2016, 09:42 AM   #1612
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
just got home from seeing a mcdonalds themed black sabbath cover band

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/8045...1&s=0&a=t&q=89
how does he strum with that glove on

is his hand just hidden behind it

Old 09-08-2016, 10:39 AM   #1613
yo soy el mejor

woowoo! jenny lewis tonight!

it's the 10th anniversary show for her first solo album Rabbit Fur Coat

i hope she plays some old rilo kiley stuff, though. pleeease.

i saw rilo kiley twice in one day in 2001 (they played at good records in dallas during the day. and had a show in denton at rubber gloves that night). i wanna hear the songs again!

Old 09-08-2016, 11:38 AM   #1614
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I wish there were specific emails I could hit up for every little annoyance in the world.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:39 AM   #1615
LaBelle
Socialphobic

"Dear Jenny from the internet,
Someone was mean to me again... I wish my internet experience was more positive"

Old 09-08-2016, 11:45 AM   #1616
FoolofaTook

I know me too. **** is relentless in her cruelty and my well thought out ur mom jokes are rarely given their due acclaim.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:00 PM   #1617
LaBelle
Socialphobic

What? You don't get rep for every single one of those?

Blimey!

Old 09-08-2016, 10:25 PM   #1618
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post

Maybe he just likes playing badly because he thinks it sounds better?

Or yeah, probably just a flappy thing covering his hand.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:32 PM   #1619
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post

yeah his hands were coming out of holes in the wrists of the costume. this band was loud af and sounded pretty much like Black Sabbath (except Ronald McDonald's Ozzy voice was a little weak, though he made up for it by copying Ozzy's mannerisms precisely). They went for some deep cuts as well. It was a good time.

https://thumbs.mic.com/NWJmOWY4OTg2M...TRvZy5naWY.gif

Old 09-08-2016, 10:35 PM   #1620
ilikeplanets
Braindead

That's cool