Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What is your Favourite album by Queens of the Stone Age?
Queens of the Stone Age 6 16.22%
Rated R 7 18.92%
Songs for the Deaf 18 48.65%
Lullabies to Paralyze 5 13.51%
Era Vulgaris 1 2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2008, 01:27 AM   #1
Shallowed
Braindead

Default Favourite Queens of the Stone Age album.

Rated R.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:37 AM   #2
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

R is a brilliant album.

However, SFTD is probably amongst my 5 favourite albums of the decade. Immaculately produced, brilliantly written, totally consistent. Homme's best guitar work by miles. Probably Dave Grohl's best drum performance on record too. Not a riff or a lick or a fill out of place. And it fucking ROCKS in an age of soft-cock-rock made by douchebags in matching dinner jackets and pointy shoes.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:49 AM   #3
Shapan
Socialphobic

yeah songs for the deaf is my favorite album of the decade. i just, love this album.

that said queens of the stone age have the most steady & most impressive discography in rock for me. at the very least they blow practically every other mainstream artist out of the water.

as incredible as radiohead's last 6 records have been, pablo honey is good but a significant step below all their other records. queens have not had a single dud while they've been around.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:02 AM   #4
shannon
Minion of Satan

all of them are great, but songs for the deaf is my favorite

Old 09-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
???
Minion of Satan

there are only two records that contend for 'best rock album of the decade' and they are Songs for the Deaf and My Vitriol's Finelines. i'd pick the latter.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #6
MstrGhost
Apocalyptic Poster

Rated X LP

Old 09-24-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
Skradgee
Boardcaster

Songs for the Deaf, with 'R' a close 2nd

Old 09-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #8
Pizza Club
Apocalyptic Poster

Rated R

Old 09-24-2008, 12:45 PM   #9
Deadeyes
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ??? View Post
there are only two records that contend for 'best rock album of the decade' and they are Songs for the Deaf and My Vitriol's Finelines. i'd pick the latter.
Wouldn't really classify Finelines under best rock album. Its best moments are where it transcends the boundaries of "rock" and mixes elements of shoegaze or should i say nugaze which they pretty much created. I guess you could get away with alternative rock, though I think that is cutting them thin. The band is way more interesting when they get out of the rock single routine.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:47 PM   #10
Deadeyes
Apocalyptic Poster

God fuck genres seriously. No debate to ensue on that, I just don't see the pairing of albums as appropriate in this case.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #11
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
not an album but a b-side compilation i believe
i believe that this was the LP version of rated R

Old 09-24-2008, 05:26 PM   #12
???
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeyes View Post
Wouldn't really classify Finelines under best rock album. Its best moments are where it transcends the boundaries of "rock" and mixes elements of shoegaze or should i say nugaze which they pretty much created. I guess you could get away with alternative rock, though I think that is cutting them thin. The band is way more interesting when they get out of the rock single routine.
i'm not sure what you mean by the "rock single routine" because every song on that damn album has hit potential. their sound is basically punk-infused shoegaze with top-class songwriting and composition. it is fundamentally a rock album, just in a league of its own, like any sp or qotsa album.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:26 PM   #13
frugalscotsman
Demi-God

Location: i admit i wasnt alive in the 80s but that doesnt mean i havent done research on what kinds of music there was back then

love songs for the deaf, it's fucking relentless. rated r is even more impressive because of songs like better living through chemistry and quick and to the pointless (hilarious!). the debut was one of the strongest debuts ever. era vulgaris has some slick tunes, but i'm left with a bland taste. lullabies to paralyze was a better album, maybe that's why i wasn't impressed with ev.

that said, lullabies to paralyze is my favortie by far. it's the most cohesive album homme's released. the mood of the whole album is dark, dreamy, dirty, lost and on the brink of insanity. i don't care if castillo is not grohl, his drumming is totally in the pocket, letting the warm, blunted guitars propel the music. what can i say? medication, burn the witch, everybody knows that you're insane, the blood is love, you got a killer scene there man, long slow goodbye, skin on skin, in my head, tangled up in plaid...killer songs.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:50 PM   #14
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
I'm pretty sure it is too, with some bonus tracks I think? I saw it in the record store the other day. I was tempted to pick it up but it was more than I would have spent on it.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #15
Deadeyes
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ??? View Post
i'm not sure what you mean by the "rock single routine" because every song on that damn album has hit potential. their sound is basically punk-infused shoegaze with top-class songwriting and composition. it is fundamentally a rock album, just in a league of its own, like any sp or qotsa album.
The first half of the album is more hit loaded than the second. I think critic orientated rock was kind of an in joke about that, the thing with My Vitriol, it starts off so accessible and weaves its way into some more experienced soundscapes. That is why I think Between The Lines is essential after Finelines, once you're hooked you get to see the other stuff which is better because under the skin they get more alternative. Anyway out of that deviation, punk-infused? oh come on everything alternative is punk infused in some way or another these days, that is just some cast off from the endless morphing of the genre. I get what you are saying but it is just semantics, like shoegaze, they use some guitar effects but are not "heavy shoegaze", they craft it into alternative rock and make a newer breed. Etc etc.

This was worthless to bring up, I guess it's an alternative rock album at heart with hits and adventure. Im just hesitant to make a rock assesment list with albums that are pretty different. It's like those greatest rock compilations or something, buh to the generalisation.

Last edited by Deadeyes : 09-24-2008 at 06:09 PM.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:37 PM   #16
Shallowed
Braindead

[quote=frugalscotsman;3346433]love songs for the deaf, it's fucking relentless. rated r is even more impressive because of songs like better living through chemistry and quick and to the pointless (hilarious!). the debut was one of the strongest debuts ever. era vulgaris has some slick tunes, but i'm left with a bland taste. lullabies to paralyze was a better album, maybe that's why i wasn't impressed with ev.QUOTE]

I probably have a bias towards Rated R because it was the first one I heard. Second was Era Vulgaris, which I like except it has a slump after "Make It wit Chu". I like it better than LtP. Again, I probably have a bias.

I could have sworn that Trent Reznor produced EV.

I think SftD is overrated, but I haven't listened to it much. No One Knows is made of though

QotSA is one of those bands that did heaps of songs that I didn't know that I knew, like Keeping a Secret, Little Sister, Feel Good Hit..

Ironically EVERYONE knows "No One Knows"

Old 09-24-2008, 06:42 PM   #17
DeadOpera
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
yeah i know i dunno why i thought of compilations... anywho rated R is way better

Old 09-24-2008, 06:43 PM   #18
DeadOpera
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale blue eyes View Post
I'm pretty sure it is too, with some bonus tracks I think? I saw it in the record store the other day. I was tempted to pick it up but it was more than I would have spent on it.
it has one i think ode to clarissa. btw you can buy rated R with bonus tracks too.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:51 AM   #19
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

reason SFTD wins:

Old 09-25-2008, 05:21 AM   #20
Shallowed
Braindead

I'm not that good with QOTSA history, who's that on drums?

It must be between SftD and LtP because Oliveri is still on bass, so I would of expected Dave on drums.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:26 AM   #21
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Dave didn't really tour much with QOTSA cause the Foo Fighters shat something out not much later. That's Joey Castillo, who is still with em today. He's fucking great. At the 03 Big Day Out both Foos and Queens were on the bill but Dave didn't play with Queens even though he could have. sucks.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:57 AM   #22
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

songs for the deaf is the qotsa album for people who don't like qotsa

Old 09-25-2008, 07:07 AM   #23
Shapan
Socialphobic

its also the album for qotsa fans whose favorite qotsa album is songs for the deaf

Old 09-25-2008, 07:23 AM   #24
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' Cherub View Post
songs for the deaf is the qotsa album for people who don't like qotsa
of all the ridiculous things you have ever said on this board, this is by far the most ridiculous.

Meat Is Murder is the Smiths album for people who thought INXS were better after they found a new vocalist on that reality TV show, but think that the guy who came second should have won.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:43 AM   #25
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

i just meant it has a totally different feel from what i and every qotsa fan i know associate with qotsa

and i know a whole lot of people who only like that album

Old 09-25-2008, 12:54 PM   #26
yoshinobu's revenge
Apocalyptic Poster

kyuss

Old 09-25-2008, 05:16 PM   #27
sweetanthony
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalscotsman View Post
love songs for the deaf, it's fucking relentless. rated r is even more impressive because of songs like better living through chemistry and quick and to the pointless (hilarious!). the debut was one of the strongest debuts ever. era vulgaris has some slick tunes, but i'm left with a bland taste. lullabies to paralyze was a better album, maybe that's why i wasn't impressed with ev.

that said, lullabies to paralyze is my favortie by far. it's the most cohesive album homme's released. the mood of the whole album is dark, dreamy, dirty, lost and on the brink of insanity. i don't care if castillo is not grohl, his drumming is totally in the pocket, letting the warm, blunted guitars propel the music. what can i say? medication, burn the witch, everybody knows that you're insane, the blood is love, you got a killer scene there man, long slow goodbye, skin on skin, in my head, tangled up in plaid...killer songs.
L2P is highly under-rated. Many people don't like it at all, but it stands up to R, SftD, and S/T just fine. EV is good, but something about it, as you said, kinda left me feeling empty

Old 09-25-2008, 06:46 PM   #28
bja1288
Apocalyptic Poster

i never came? how can you not mention that song

Old 09-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #29
redbull
Immortal

SFTD. not even a question here.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:01 PM   #30
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Self Titled is my favorite followed closely by Lullabies to Paralyze. Every song on Self Titled is quality. No filler like on follow up albums. How To Handle A Rope has to be the best song they've ever done.

I love the first half of Rated R but it really drags after Better Living Through Chemistry. Songs For The Deaf is just boring. It has a been-there-done-that feeling to it. Dave is great on drums but even he can't save it.