Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2016, 06:37 AM   #1
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Exclamation tehbolly's confessional rambling movie review ghost thread

i might as well make my own thread for this and no mods are here anyway so if you got a problem go eat some baked fish, assholes.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:46 AM   #2
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

curious case of benjamin button -

as per usual, i arrive a good few years late to the party. i intend to go on a fincher spree so i thought i'd start with this one, which i hadn't seen yet.

i was oddly surprised to find how unremarkable it is, for a movie with such big names and such huge oscar buzz at the time. also, it's oddly out of step with other fincher films. it's much, much sweeter, almost like a pixar movie or something.

i personally much prefer fincher's darker work, but his style as a director is undeniable as always. straight away there's this beautiful palette to his work that distincts him from every other director i know of, this green-bluey muted tone. gorgeous camera work all throughout, lots of small additions and storytelling devices that are nicely utilized. cate blanchette is done justice and is might purty (though on weekdays i'm like 2/10 wouldn't bang) and she puts forth a good performance, too.

brad pitt is just brad pitt here, pretty forgettable, neglecting the makeup and special effects work.

all in all, i guess it was alright, although somewhat pointless. just a story that starts and ends, nothing incredibly striking. fuck this movie for being 3 hours though. i really hate how indulgent most films are today. most are in the 2:30-3:00 range, and you really shouldn't get to 3 hours unless you have a really good reason to. this movie definitely didn't.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:01 AM   #3
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

When's the next blog update

Old 02-14-2016, 05:16 PM   #4
run2pee
Minion of Satan

I wanna hear about Alien 3 while you're on Fincher

I heard there's a director cut of it that's far superior to the theatrical

*dodges machete head ghost on way out of thread

Old 02-14-2016, 06:03 PM   #5
myosis
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
curious case of benjamin button -

as per usual, i arrive a good few years late to the party. i intend to go on a fincher spree so i thought i'd start with this one, which i hadn't seen yet.

i was oddly surprised to find how unremarkable it is, for a movie with such big names and such huge oscar buzz at the time. also, it's oddly out of step with other fincher films. it's much, much sweeter, almost like a pixar movie or something.
am not surprised, i never wanted to watch it after seeing the trailer. it just screamed 'FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION'

Old 02-14-2016, 06:33 PM   #6
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

when's the next blog update

Old 02-14-2016, 10:01 PM   #7
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

sweet i got (1) followers!

Old 02-14-2016, 10:12 PM   #8
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

to answer your question, crabshack: RIGHT NOW!!!

dogtooth (kynodontas) -

greek (!) film, a first for me i think. read about it and it sounded interesting, but whoa. if you are seeking a big WTF movie, well search no more.
it tells the story of an overly protective family who relentlessly forbid their children to leave the house premises, grow them inside this fucked up, isolated bubble, and even go as far as getting their son a hired woman to come and have sex with him. it goes on but i won't spoil it.

it's very devoid of hollywood type 'flourishes', for lack of better word, so it all feels very real, and it's supremely creepy. it kinda makes you think about how parents do stuff like that (obviously in less exaggerated forms) sometimes, and how their intentions may not be as bad as their actions. or, how we grow into molds shaped by our parents, and come to accept terrible rules and behaviors simply because we don't know better. my parents were definitely weird about a lot of stuff so that kind of constant vapor of guilt, and hierarchy, hit a nerve for me.

either way this is a great, all sorts of wtf, disturbing movie, that's very well made by any standard. recommended.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:28 PM   #9
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

taxi driver -

i watched this when i was like 19 and expected a much more 'straightforward' film, so it bored me and i absolutely didn't get it at the time. so, i revisited it yesterday and was, naturally, blown away by what a great movie it is.
this is arguably the best de niro performance of them all. which is funny because most of the times he speaks, his character is struggling to be coherent, or make sense, but he does it so convincingly and so masterfully. he manages to be incredibly creepy, and at the same time, appear almost kind of child-like, almost pure in his mannerism-free demeanor. he achieves a truly striking balance between innocence, and that 'real world' down and out war vet who's dying inside.

in fact, everybody's performances in this movie is incredible. scorsese himself does a small role and delightfully nails it (in fact i was amazed to find out it was him, didn't look like him at all), harvey keitel is perfect. even sybill shepherd hits the mark with that 70's blonde hair glamour, deep voice, piercing eyes, and very tame demeanor. she was incredibly beautiful, how was she not a huge sex symbol back then?

i also really enjoyed the ending. i've read that scorsese actually said that the ending is meant to be absolute reality, and not some fantasy in travis' head, or his dying thoughts. which is somewhat uncharacteristic, as directors usually like to keep an element of mystery to those sorts of things.
either way, i choose to see it just like that - travis' dying thoughts. it's much more powerful to me. that last conversation with betsy, where she has that dreamy glow, and she's suddenly so soft with him after really cutting him off prior to that. i dunno.

also, the corridor shot - what a fantastic cinematic moment.
to sum up: D- , i don't get what all the fuss is about lol

Old 02-18-2016, 04:33 AM   #10
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

lol

Old 02-18-2016, 09:22 PM   #11
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Annie Hall -

i'd never really watched Woody Allen movies. this might have been my first one, or at least one of the first. it's pretty smart and surprisingly quick and self aware, especially for a 1977 film. lots of breaking of the fourth wall, sequences that kind of pause the actual narrative and go into introspective mode, like when Woody just stops people on the street and starts talking to them about his love life and they all collectively share his conciousness - i loved that.

what that said, i did find many parts of the movie overly chatty. it blazes the entire way through on 200mph, chit-chat-chit-chat-analyzing-discussing-referencing-citing gahh.

btw some spots in this movie features some of the worst acting i'd ever seen, courtesy of diane keaton. but she's not horrific all the way through so i dunno. when it's bad, it's bad though (insert mr. mackie embed here). to her credit, she sang surprisingly well on the jazz numbers.

anyway, every movie about an ended relationship leaves me with this bitter taste and so did this one. i guess it captures another angle of it and was generally enjoyable. doesn't really propel me to check out Woody Allen's entire filmography. probably just a loooot more insecure neurotic jewish humor. i think i'll check out Match Point though, cause Scarlett.

to finish off this review i'd like to share some details about my breakfast today. well, not really breakfast per say, just something small to start the day LOL. i was feeling kind of out so i drank a glass of water, then chugged down another glass of water with half a lemon squeezed in, and after that I had some toast. not just some plain white bread though, i got that dark bread with all sorts of nuts in it. at first i thought i'd put some jam on it but then i decided not to put jam on it, so i just ate it plain LOL. have i mentioned that i'm friends with many professional cyclists?

Old 02-18-2016, 09:45 PM   #12
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

very amusing. i'm going to review your reviews. that one gets an 8/10

Old 02-18-2016, 09:51 PM   #13
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

nooo it triggers my anxieties that i'm not good enough and people are judging me

Old 02-18-2016, 09:55 PM   #14
TheAeroplane
Demi-God

Quote:
nooo it triggers my anxieties that i'm not good enough and people are judging me
Don't worry. Netphoria is not a place where people judge each other.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:03 PM   #15
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
have i mentioned that i'm friends with many professional cyclists?
this is amazing! if you ever want to chat, send me a PM

I've done some drinking with a LOT of professional cyclists (with whom I'm friends)

Old 02-18-2016, 11:22 PM   #16
myosis
Minion of Satan

diane keaton won an oscar for annie hall

Old 02-18-2016, 11:25 PM   #17
myosis
Minion of Satan

i guess we just need the eggs

Old 02-19-2016, 04:00 AM   #18
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
diane keaton won an oscar for annie hall
Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
i guess we just need the eggs
yeah that's undeniably a great quote.

about keaton, though - i dunno. i mean yeah, i read that too. and as i said, she wasn't horrible the entire way through. she did have some nice moments, actually - which kind of made me debate with myself if she went for a campy vibe on purpose on the scenes i thought were terrible?

the most notably bad one was her neurotic nervous wreck thing when she first hits on Woody's character. i mean that's just terrible, obvious acting all around

Old 02-19-2016, 01:22 PM   #19
myosis
Minion of Satan

i love woody allen movies but i do cringe at the characters' neurotic behavior a lot...
don't watch 'Anything Else'. i just want to punch Jason Biggs.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:51 AM   #20
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

to be fair though, Jason Biggs is pretty punchable on any film

Old 02-20-2016, 03:09 AM   #21
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

the fincher one, not the swedish one.
uh. i dunno. it was kind of a big thing when it first came out, and to be honest, more than anything else i was surprised by how standard it all was. it pretty much feels like a not very bright retreading on old ground for fincher. he's done everything that's in this film in the past, and on most cases, to a significantly better degree.

for a three hour movie, it's intensely misconstructed, i thought. of course, it's based on a series of novels, so there's understandably a lot of ground to cover... but with that said, the entire first half of it felt to me like it really rushes to establish everything. it's subtle, but scenes are like, two seconds shorter than they need to be, and it all feels kind of hurried and half assed. and besides that, the entire plot is much too complicated and too much of it is conveyed in very fast edited computer screen closeups with a bunch of names running on them, or a bunch of indistinguishable swedish names mentioned in a conversation.

it's possible that i'm a bit impatient and slow lately but to me it all felt like a huge jumble of a standard bullshit homicide investigation plot that was needlessly complex and lacking in order and in execution. also, the fact that it all comes down to a serial killer in the end, i found particularly underwhelming, repetitive and derivative (especially of fincher's work), and predictable.

with that said though, in the more nihilistic parts, which are, of course, right up fincher's alley, the film shines. the entire rapist story arc was very, very well done. it was one of the worst rapes i remember seeing in a movie, and the way it evolved until the very cathartic revenge was satisfying. also the serial killer himself, while super predictable and kinda stupid, had a decent scene or two of that standard 'serial killer real talk before i kill yo ass'.

to sum up, i always enjoy fincher's visual style and cinematic choices (nin's music here is great btw) but i think this is probably one of his least favorable films for me.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:30 AM   #22
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
I wanna hear about Alien 3 while you're on Fincher

I heard there's a director cut of it that's far superior to the theatrical

*dodges machete head ghost on way out of thread
somehow i missed this

I watched Alien 3 way back, it was pretty bullshit. it was panned pretty bad by critics, and Fincher himself says nobody hates it more than him. studio/production difficulties and such. so

Old 02-20-2016, 10:44 AM   #23
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Looking forward to THE VVITCH today

Old 02-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #24
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."
Red face

Quote:
yeah that's undeniably a great quote.

about keaton, though - i dunno. i mean yeah, i read that too. and as i said, she wasn't horrible the entire way through. she did have some nice moments, actually - which kind of made me debate with myself if she went for a campy vibe on purpose on the scenes i thought were terrible?

the most notably bad one was her neurotic nervous wreck thing when she first hits on Woody's character. i mean that's just terrible, obvious acting all around
I hate Diane Keaton so much. I will never understand how woody allen, or anyone for that matter, fell in love with her. Everything about her gets on my nerves. its almost worth it to watch Looking for Mr Goodbar just to see her get stabbed to death by Tom Berenger at the end (i mean its supposed to be a horrible scene but it being Diane Keaton, it just made me happy...although she does scream like a banshee throughout it all which is terribly annoying).

I never really got into woody allen no matter how much i tried but I like some of the less obvious ones like Radio days and Bullets over broadway (my favorite of his). Annie hall and Manhattan though, eh.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:51 PM   #25
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

how do you feel about Match Point? i got that one on my list currently. should i substitute it

Old 02-22-2016, 09:56 AM   #26
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i know pavementtune reads my ramblings sometimes so pave, this is for you.

Mustang -
a turkish/german/french production, it's definitely one of the most beautifully shot movies i'd seen for a while. just flawlessly presented all around, it's almost heartbrakingly beautiful. that's right, i'm a wimp, fuck off assholes. there's also a great soundtrack that even though it's definitely not far from your run of the mill movie scores, kind of drew my attention on multiple occasions. simple, beautiful sounds.

to me this movie has two distinct lines running through it - one of everything that's ugly and bad about people, and one of everything that's good and beautiful. the sense of sisterhood and closeness and juvenile joys that can barely be suppressed even in the harshest conditions, against primitive, cruel, dimwitted patriarchal hierarchy.

this film shares a lot in common with dogtooth, a greek film i'd also watched recently, about a subject matter not far off (also reviewed by me for your rolleye pleasure). lots of similarities in tone and feel, although this one is much less dark (yet more realistic, actually, which makes it more frightening).

it's not without its flaws, but the mood it manages to create and the high points it reaches when it does succeed, makes it a moving and gorgeous film to experience. recommended. btw i'm pretty sure monte stars in a cameo lol, micropenis rapist jonathan monte crestfallen information technology

Old 02-22-2016, 03:54 PM   #27
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
somehow i missed this

I watched Alien 3 way back, it was pretty bullshit. it was panned pretty bad by critics, and Fincher himself says nobody hates it more than him. studio/production difficulties and such. so
Yeah the theatrical is mostly shit with some ok alien sequences. But I heard there's a director cut of it out there that's fincher's vision b4 the studio got it, and it's purportedly much better

Old 02-22-2016, 04:09 PM   #28
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
i know pavementtune reads my ramblings sometimes so pave, this is for you.

Mustang -

this film shares a lot in common with dogtooth, a greek film i'd also watched recently, about a subject matter not far off

it's not without its flaws, but the mood it manages to create and the high points it reaches when it does succeed, makes it a moving and gorgeous film to experience. recommended.
ha, happy to hear you weren't disappointed!
agree it has its flaws, but Mustang is only the debut film of this director, and that blew my mind. I loved the sound work so much, Warren Ellis and Nick Cave, it just fits perfectly.

will check out dogtooth!

Old 02-23-2016, 09:23 PM   #29
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

what i had no idea nick cave had anything to do with it!

i'll look into that, maybe there's an OST or something

Old 02-23-2016, 09:39 PM   #30
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Match Point -

i liked this one a LOT more than i did Annie Hall.
it may be pointless to compare two films (especially 25 years apart) just because they're from the same director, but while Annie Dog (lololo) was full of high brow semi condescending self referencing endless chatter, i found Match Point to be ever so much more sharp, precise, to the point and lean of needles 'fat'.

it's really beautifully produced and shot, it all feels and looks so european and expensive and upper-class, just like it needs to be. everything is immaculately lit and everyone is gorgeous and you can almost smell the expensive perfume. flawless casting, pretty much every character has the perfect actor for their role (namely the most devastatingly beautiful woman ever to come into existence, one mrs. scarlett johansson http://forums.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon11.gif).

it's wonderfully paced, clear and engaging. so many movies these days make the storytelling more obtuse and complicated than it needs to be imo, and this movie did a great job of telling a story that isn't necessarily overly simple, in a very efficient way. and it offers really enjoyable commentary on lust and greed, the unbearable importance of luck in life, and the meaninglessness and injustice of it all. i'm not sure, am i a woody allen fan now? i think now i may have to check out other films by him. though i might be disappointed if i expect them all to be like this, since by his own admission this is one of his best.

i'd like to take this opportunity to express my wish to also be a preppy, vexingly handsome, filthy rich, morally bankrupt london dweller. and get to sleep with scarlett johansson. but unfortunately i'm a shoddy, offputtingly ugly, spankilliciously poor, and morally upstanding guy from Israel. the unbearable weight of luck, indeed. bravo, woody :/