Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2016, 10:04 PM   #2551
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

got tix this weekend to some printers row lit fest talks. we are going to one with r.l stine and another with ethan hawke on saturday (omg!); tickets were only $3 a piece for each presentation.

tim is seeing buzz aldrin sunday by himself.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:02 PM   #2552
slunken
Virgo

because if there's one thing the literary crowd is cl******g to see, its buzz aldrin or ethan hawke. such great presences in modern literature.

edit: woah didn't know the word c l a m o r i n g was censored also.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:04 PM   #2553
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Weird...

Old 06-08-2016, 11:06 PM   #2554
buzzard
Minion of Satan

There's still a pretty good chance they're both better writers than R. L. Stine, even so.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:57 PM   #2555
Disco King
Minion of Satan

It takes a little bit of literary understanding to truly appreciate Stine's genius. Take the Give Yourself Goosebumps series of books, subversive works of postmodernism, in which readers are told "reader beware, you choose the scare!", an allegory for the reality of late capitalism, under which consumers are faced with the illusion of choice between an endless amount of products. Yet those products are confined to a narrow spectrum of parameters allowed by the system; by choosing between products that are advertised in ways that appeal to our insecurities and anxieties, consumers are quite literally "choosing their scare."

Stine makes use of second-person narrative, taking the idea of "death of the author" to its logical conclusion, for it is we, the readers, who construct the story and imbue it with meaning. It is also a reflection of the irony of modern media becoming more personalized, yet simultaneously more impersonal; it speaks to us, using algorithms to match our preferences and tendencies, yet those algorithms are nothing but cold numbers, a series of automated instructions.

Perhaps the least difficult read for a newcomer to Stine is Beware the Purple Peanut Butter. From there, you will have a foundation to understand more complex works, such as Monster Blood III, Scary Birthday to You, and Say Cheese and Die.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:31 AM   #2556
redbreegull

Old 06-09-2016, 07:57 AM   #2557
yo soy el mejor

Ethan Hawke's bio on the Lit Fest page:
http://printersrowlitfest.org/participant/1629.html

Ethan Hawke is an accomplished actor, screenwriter, film and theatre director, and novelist. He has been nominated for Academy Awards for both acting and writing, a Tony award, and a Drama Desk Award for both acting and directing.

I hear he also just wrote a children's book called 'Rules for a Knight'.

And this is Buzz's:
http://printersrowlitfest.org/participant/1847.html
Buzz Aldrin, best known for his Apollo 11 moonwalk, holds a doctoral degree in astronautics and, at age 86, continues to wield influence as an international advocate of space science and planetary exploration. He has written three nonfiction books, two science fact/fiction novels and two children’s books.

sooo yeah, i can see why some in the "literary crowd" would be interested in seeing them both. it's not their fault you don't know they write!

Old 06-09-2016, 08:00 AM   #2558
yo soy el mejor

i'm taking one of the spanish language goosebumps books i got for tim's birthday in case i run into mr. stine at potbelly's or some junk.

i already decided i'm going to approach him like this: 'hi, i heard you on npr and you sounded nice. will you sign my book for me? _'

Old 06-09-2016, 08:04 AM   #2559
yo soy el mejor

Ethan Hawke is not like a regular white guy. He comes across as intelligent and thoughtful.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:49 AM   #2560
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Yeah, there's nothing white guy about cheating on your wife with the nanny, having your wife leave you, and then marrying the nanny and having a couple more kids with her.

Guy's groce. He wrote the kids book because he only sees his original children every second weekend, and doesn't get time to talk to them, so he wrote a book to tell them all the wisdom he's learned over the years.

Stuff like "If a woman younger and less accomplished than your wife is looking after your kids, and you're too ADD to be monogamous even though it will mean that in the future, you'll get way more time with your kids, just fuck the nanny anyway, and write a a book for your kids."

Dumbass.

Loved this guy after Dead Poet's Society and Reality Bites. But after he dumped Uma for a nanny I was like fuck you, dumbass.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #2561
yo soy el mejor

you're a celebrity gossip lol

you don't know how often he sees his kids. and according to wiki he and uma divorced uma in 2003 and got with a woman who babysat their children 5 years later. where did you find all your info? or are so sensitive to couples separating you make up things to make the men look bad just like you do here with your own husband?

Last edited by yo soy el mejor : 06-09-2016 at 09:03 AM.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:06 AM   #2562
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
its not their fault you don't know they write!
I'm aware how easy it is for celebrities to get published. Hulk Hogan also owns a pasta restaurant. Would not be very interested in his pasta.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:09 AM   #2563
yo soy el mejor

easy to get published, sure - look at all those celeb memoirs and shit (and of course you just need a lot of money to start a restaurant). but one's celebrity doesn't make a respected author (or a successful business) and those two have received critical praise and awards that seem to imply more merit than you'd like to admit or what you seem willing to allow, as it were.

Last edited by yo soy el mejor : 06-09-2016 at 09:20 AM.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:13 AM   #2564
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Yeah, there's nothing white guy about cheating on your wife with the nanny, having your wife leave you, and then marrying the nanny and having a couple more kids with her.

Guy's groce. He wrote the kids book because he only sees his original children every second weekend, and doesn't get time to talk to them, so he wrote a book to tell them all the wisdom he's learned over the years.

Stuff like "If a woman younger and less accomplished than your wife is looking after your kids, and you're too ADD to be monogamous even though it will mean that in the future, you'll get way more time with your kids, just fuck the nanny anyway, and write a a book for your kids."

Dumbass.

Loved this guy after Dead Poet's Society and Reality Bites. But after he dumped Uma for a nanny I was like fuck you, dumbass.
He probably experimented with a Sasha Gray Ultimate Pubes stroker before pulling the trigger on babysitter, too

Whudda pig

Old 06-09-2016, 09:42 AM   #2565
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
you're a celebrity gossip lol

you don't know how often he sees his kids. and according to wiki he and uma divorced uma in 2003 and got with a woman who babysat their children 5 years later. where did you find all your info? or are so sensitive to couples separating you make up things to make the men look bad just like you do here with your own husband?
I looked it up, it took less than 5 minutes.

Quote:
"I don't nearly get to spend as much time with my kids as I like," he admitted. "The truth about the genesis of this book is that when you get your kids every other weekend, there aren’t many boring moments. So much of the best stuff out of my life is when you are bored and have nothing to do, and I always have something to do. I have the kids on this day, have to give them back another day, then they have this party, then soccer practice, and then they are gone. I never got to talk to them about these things, it’s like it never happened. It’s like when they leave on a Sunday afternoon and I say, 'Well, let me tell you why you shouldn’t lie.' It was a way for me to tell them these things in a book so that those types of conversations don’t get lost."
From http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-...-book-20151311

Quote:
"People have such a childish view of monogamy and fidelity. 'He's cheated so he's bad, she's cheated so she's bad,' as opposed to a recognition that our species is not monogamous," he continued. "To act all indignant, that your world has been rocked because your lover wasn't faithful to you, is a little bit like acting rocked that your hair went grey."
From http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-...lity--20133011

Quote:
As her future relationship with Hawke, Thurman said: "I want to recognize him again. I want to see the guy that I married. I want to trust him, and I want to feel good and comfortable again.
From http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,1115532,00.html

Old 06-09-2016, 09:43 AM   #2566
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
He probably experimented with a Sasha Gray Ultimate Pubes stroker before pulling the trigger on babysitter, too

Whudda pig
He probably did it for the sake of his art!

Old 06-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #2567
yo soy el mejor

oh, it's a custody issue and he doesn't just keep himself away. the other stuff i could care less about because someone's relationship is not your business and you weren't there for all the fights and you'll never know the circumstances.

i don't care about jerry in accounting's PRIVATE life and i don't care about ethan hawke's, i just hope they keep up the good work and experience satisfaction in their professional life and peace in their personal.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:15 AM   #2568
vixnix
Socialphobic

Guy's a self-absorbed jerk, enjoy the talk. You'll probably love it.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:16 AM   #2569
yo soy el mejor

aka i don't like things the guy has done in his personal life because they offend me, but enjoy his talk focusing on his writings that have nothing to do with that

thanks. i will!

Old 06-09-2016, 10:20 AM   #2570
yo soy el mejor

Saturday, June 11 - Harold Washington Library Center, Cindy Pritzker Auditorium
2:30 pm - 3:15 pm
Ethan Hawke and Greg Ruth discuss their graphic novel, “Indeh” with Michael Phillips

Graphic novel fans, historians and movie buffs will come together to see Tony and Academy Award-nominated actor, Ethan Hawke. He will appear with illustrator Greg Ruth to discuss their recent graphic novel, INDEH: A Story of the Apache Wars.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:43 AM   #2571
vixnix
Socialphobic

Well I for one am convinced this will be a fantastic forty five minutes.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:04 AM   #2572
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
My dad has cancer again. Melanoma and Multiple tumors. More advanced tests next week. Before my step mother died he had Hodgkin's but treatment put him in remission. Last year he had his second open heart surgery. He also lost his leg to an infection a few years ago.

It's like every couple years we have to go through some life threatening ordeal. Ugh. Don't want to deal
I'm so sorry

Old 06-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #2573
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Your therapist seems cool. I always feel like I'm being too cold and impersonal to my therapist, but I've been trying to be a little more casual. She is a nice person and also likes comic books, and thinks she's a hipster because she listens to The Dudes and Miike Snow.

It'd be cool to talk to her about comic books, but our sessions are only 50 minutes, so I feel like I can't use them to chat. Are you supposed to do that, though? Like, are you supposed to get some chatting in with your therapist?
If you are so limited like that, I'd say no not much chatting. But of course there's no hard rules. Part of my issue is chatting without really engaging, so it has a dual purpose with me. Like I say hello without actually looking ppl in the eye or meaning it, it's very automatic.

My therapist is really great. I showed her a post I did here before and she pulled up a chair next to me and cried and held my hand. For a long time I didn't think therapist were supposed to do those things. And maybe they're mostly not, but after 5 years and a lot of intimate talk and a real relationship forming of mutual respect and admiration, it not only felt right but was very helpful. You can't fake something like that. She really cares about me and wants to help me. I never doubted her before but I was so traumatized before, in the back of my mind I was cynical still.

So my short answer is in therapy for complex PTSD, an intimate relationship where you talk about stuff like this and learn some things about the therapist has been necessary for me.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:57 PM   #2574
yo soy el mejor

CHAT THREEEEEAD, Y'ALL!

i squatted 60 pounds today (at 5 sets of 10) - that's my heaviest weight in recent memory. and i got to 104 on the scale. so proud of my body for doing all that work!

Old 06-09-2016, 05:35 PM   #2575
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
I looked it up, it took less than 5 minutes.
Yes, I can't imagine why somebody wouldn't take the time to Google "how much time does Ethan Hawke spend with his children" and sift through tabloid interviews. It's almost like people don't care about staying informed on world issues anymore.

Quote:
aka i don't like things the guy has done in his personal life because they offend me, but enjoy his talk focusing on his writings that have nothing to do with that

thanks. i will!
****, I think you should consider Vixnix's feelings before you enjoy this event that will have no effect on her life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
If you are so limited like that, I'd say no not much chatting. But of course there's no hard rules. Part of my issue is chatting without really engaging, so it has a dual purpose with me. Like I say hello without actually looking ppl in the eye or meaning it, it's very automatic.

My therapist is really great. I showed her a post I did here before and she pulled up a chair next to me and cried and held my hand. For a long time I didn't think therapist were supposed to do those things. And maybe they're mostly not, but after 5 years and a lot of intimate talk and a real relationship forming of mutual respect and admiration, it not only felt right but was very helpful. You can't fake something like that. She really cares about me and wants to help me. I never doubted her before but I was so traumatized before, in the back of my mind I was cynical still.

So my short answer is in therapy for complex PTSD, an intimate relationship where you talk about stuff like this and learn some things about the therapist has been necessary for me.
I don't have much knowledge of therapy, so the stuff you mentioned doing with your therapist didn't sound like something I would think is common, either. But it makes sense that it would be therapeutic for someone who faces the challenges you do, and I'm glad it's helping.

Quote:
CHAT THREEEEEAD, Y'ALL!

i squatted 60 pounds today (at 5 sets of 10) - that's my heaviest weight in recent memory. and i got to 104 on the scale. so proud of my body for doing all that work!
Congrats! I don't know much about this stuff, but that sounds like an impressive volume:body weight ratio.

I was going to go to the gym today, but didn't. But recently, I've been having trouble breaking through my squat plateau. Well, I've plateaued on pretty much everything but deadlifts, but I've struggled with things like bench presses, overhead presses, and barbell rows since the beginning, but I used to always progress on my squats, so it sucks that I'm stalling on them now, too.

I told myself that after I hit my squat goal, I'll switch from my current programme to a more advanced one. If I were progressing linearly without stalling or missing workouts, it would had only taken 2-3 weeks from the time I made the resolution to reach my goal. But it'll probably take a lot longer than that. I've deloaded a couple times already.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:32 PM   #2576
vixnix
Socialphobic

I googled "ethan hawke uma thurman divorce" looking for counterexamples to yosemite's claim that he isn't just another white guy

lo and behold

he is

Old 06-09-2016, 07:27 PM   #2577
yo soy el mejor

congratulations. you just won whatever argument you made-up.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:35 PM   #2578
vixnix
Socialphobic

http://static2.comicvine.com/uploads...decbe7f725.jpg

Old 06-09-2016, 08:41 PM   #2579
buzzard
Minion of Satan

I don't believe that the relevant statistics for fatherhood by race support the idea being thrown around that white men are somehow less present in the lives of their children.

While I haven't personally read the following, it supposedly provides some detail.

Fathers’ Involvement With Their Children: United States, 2006–2010 by Jo Jones, Ph.D., and William D. Mosher, Ph.D., Division of Vital Statistics

Old 06-09-2016, 09:40 PM   #2580
vixnix
Socialphobic

No, the white guy bit is about him fucking the nanny and fucking up his marriage with the mother of his children, then making it worse by continuing to fuck the nanny and marrying her and having more children...and then addressing that problem by writing a terrible, shitty book for the original children, to pass on all the valuable life lessons he's learned.

That's pretty standard white guy stuff, right there. If you ask me. I mean, I definitely wouldn't single him out as "not your average white guy" in a complimentary way.