Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2015, 01:01 PM   #31
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Blossom View Post
Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing.

I picked up Monuments under protest. I know it sounds odd but I suppose that I picked it up because I'm a fan of rock music, and lord knows there's almost nothing going on in rock these days.

I think Monuments was the last album I picked up. Nothing's come out (or is scheduled to) in 2015 that I have any interest in. I almost picked up the new "3eb" album in June but 3eb is just a Stephan Jenkins vanity project now (much like SP is interestingly enough) and the material was even worse than Monuments so I passed.
People need to stop this "nothing is happening in modern music anymore" thing.

I don't even keep up with new releases, but from the little bit I do listen to, even I can tell that there are plenty of people doing better rock than current Pumpkins or the alt-radio Imagine Monkeys crowd.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:41 PM   #32
D.
Consume my pants.

John Oliver obviously picked the band for the joke and especially because of the cringeworthy lyric they use as an example.

What a fucking terrible topic. Really scrapin' the bottom.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:45 PM   #33
myosis
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
I'm always surprised at how many people I meet who love SP but the SP they love is always the Billy, Jimmy, D'Arcy and James version of the band.
that band had personality

Old 10-27-2015, 01:47 PM   #34
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
People need to stop this "nothing is happening in modern music anymore" thing.
Re-read my post, that's exactly not what I said.

There's obviously a lot going on in music these days, just very little going on in rock music, in particular the kind of rock music I like.

How you read what I wrote and interpreted it the way you did is fascinating.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:56 PM   #35
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
cool but none of this is related to what we were talking about even slightly...
It has exactly to do with what you brought up concerning the people's perception of the band's "legacy" in post 19 of this very thread:

http://forums.netphoria.org/showpost...4&postcount=19

I even quoted you directly in my post (#24) of this very thread:

http://forums.netphoria.org/showpost...4&postcount=24

C'mon dude, at least try to keep with the program here. I know you wanna goof on me and make me sound foolish, and I'm sure you'll troll until you feel you've succeeded with that, but please exhibit some intelligence while you're doing it. If for no other reason than to try to smokescreen the fact that you're trolling so it's not so obvious.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #36
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

us: arguing about the perceived legacy and perception of the band

you: I don't care about that but let me tell you about this other thing that bothers me about billy

(btw everyone knows he is a crazy asshole you will receive literally zero resistance to that idea here)

Old 10-27-2015, 02:35 PM   #37
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
us: arguing about the perceived legacy and perception of the band

you: I don't care about that but let me tell you about this other thing that bothers me about billy
The perceived legacy of the band was hardly the central theme, argument or main conversation of this thread. It's not like I hijacked the conversation simply to make some off colored point. If SP's/Billy's perceived legacy is super important to you then why not start a thread called "Perceived Legacy of SP/Billy" and post your thoughts/arguments instead of posting them in a thread titled "John Oliver was a Pumpkin fan", lol.

While you're concerned about a retro-90s band's legacy, I merely stated that legacy is secondary to the quality of music. But I guess by making such a statement makes me a Pitchfork employee in your eyes for some reason.

Regardless, if you wanna talk about perceived legacy of a fat, bald, aging rock star who can't write a quality lyric to save his life then don't let me get in the way. Carry on.

Quote:
(btw everyone knows he is a crazy asshole you will receive literally zero resistance to that idea here)
Well at least we agree about something.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #38
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Blossom View Post
While you're concerned about a retro-90s band's legacy, I merely stated that legacy is secondary to the quality of music. But I guess by making such a statement makes me a Pitchfork employee in your eyes for some reason.
maybe you misunderstood what I was saying? My entire point was that being concerned for the band's "ruined" legacy (nonsense whether it is important to you or not) or how people look at you because you are a fan is totally totally stupid, but then you responded to me like you were countering me. either way yeah, we all know he is a total jerkoff and I don't think anyone respects the way he has treated everyone around him and the very low quality of the music he has been releasing under the sp name. it's just we are the only people who even know about any of that stuff

I imagine there are probably people on message boards for other 90s rock bands that piss on new SP the way I might take a pot shot at new soundgarden but beyond that billy corgan is so irrelevant

Old 10-27-2015, 11:28 PM   #39
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
man, pretty much everyone was a pumpkins fan in the mid 90's
well, everyone had an opinion about the pumpkins

Old 10-27-2015, 11:34 PM   #40
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
how can you muster the energy to care about public perception of a band that hasn't been a household name for almost two decades? and you're afraid of how that perception reflects on you?
hit the nail on the head here. if someone's bagging on them i just say "Bill's guitar work on Siamese Dream yadda yadda and you really have to respect the ambition and sucess of MCIS blah blah blah" and people usually say fair play or whatever and you did your part but seriously whogaf

Quote:
i mean we aren't talking about tool here
maynard has practically said a few times he hates tool fans because they take everything too seriously. he's even said the band was named dick. i don't think tool is the enemy, it's their fans. he doesn't even want to talk about tool. what i'm saying is that even tool is tired of "tool."

but, tool definitely directly inspired ISIS (the band lol) and other really good post rock/metal groups. tool has a better legacy than a lot of sacred cows like nirvana and Pearl Jam

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 10-27-2015 at 11:52 PM.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:51 PM   #41
Trotskilicious
Banned

btw pitchfork loves SD & MCIS

Old 10-28-2015, 01:39 AM   #42
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
hit the nail on the head here. if someone's bagging on them i just say "Bill's guitar work on Siamese Dream yadda yadda and you really have to respect the ambition and sucess of MCIS blah blah blah" and people usually say fair play or whatever and you did your part but seriously whogaf
people who like to shit on the Pumpkins are usually not familiar with the music at all and are just repeating some shit they heard or read elsewhere I think. I was talking to a drummer and I said Jimmy Chamberlin from Smashing Pumpkins is one of my favorite drummers. He said, "I'm sorry to hear that." I just had to laugh because I'm sorry that's retarded and I have trouble believing any musician who was familiar with jimmy could think he was shit. His favorite drummer is the guy from Minus the Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious
but, tool definitely directly inspired ISIS (the band lol) and other really good post rock/metal groups. tool has a better legacy than a lot of sacred cows like nirvana and Pearl Jam
yeah I like Tool and I respect them a lot, I was just taking a cheap shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
btw pitchfork loves SD & MCIS
didn't see that coming. even rolling stone shit on mcis IIRC

Last edited by redbreegull : 10-28-2015 at 01:53 AM.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:54 AM   #43
Ram27
Minion of Satan

Location: Iha: All right! I can't fucking hear you! (laughs) I'm just kidding. Stop your enthusiasm.

Quote:
I just had to laugh because I'm sorry that's retarded and I have trouble believing any musician who was familiar with jimmy could think he was shit
there's this one guy on youtube talking shit about jimmy on this video i uploaded of him playing jazz, about how he lost his touch and sounds too much like a rock drummer

but you know youtube

Old 10-28-2015, 03:24 PM   #44
redbreegull

The guy is amazing though. I mean like if someone told me eddie van halen was their favorite guitarist, I don't like his style at all, but how can you not respect the level of musicianship?

Old 10-28-2015, 09:44 PM   #45
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
people who like to shit on .......are usually not familiar with the music at all and are just repeating some shit they heard or read elsewhere I think.
re: that thread about animal collective and pitchfork

not calling you out - just saying that's a good example of the attitudes in the other thread