Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2007, 02:27 PM   #721
zsp77
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFH
Today I was listening to MCIS and I was almost nostalgic that this man, Billy Corgan, used to be so talented, and now he's a joke. His inspiration is gone. I was just listening to "Bodies" and "Thru the Eyes of Ruby"... man... those songs rock!

I've heard Zeitgeist... and it's the first time since BC has released something that I do not like ANY song... I don't like anything past 1997, but it's really the first time I don't like ANY song from one of his albums.

I don't like ANY song in Zeitgeist... it's all more of the same, it looks like a b-side album, it's all repetitive, lyrics are stupid, like britney spears wrote them... united states is gay... he's so ignorant about politics...

why does zeitgeist suck so much ?

P.S. oh yeah... that band is not the smashing pumpkins.
Ironically, I LIKE every song on the album, maybe with the exception of Come On(Lets Go) in honor of 1fatslug, who also hated that song into oblivion.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:27 PM   #722
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

somebody beat me to it. (posting the video)

Old 07-11-2007, 02:27 PM   #723
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

cool -- i'll hunt around for some links

Old 07-11-2007, 02:28 PM   #724
CrestfallenTear
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpFission
TAFH = 1fatslug

lol

Old 07-11-2007, 02:29 PM   #725
neopryn
let's see your penis!

Doomsday Clock - this is still embarassing. the Kafka lyric is kind of funny though. I like the vocal effects in the breakdown and also the siren guitars.

7 Shades - this sounds like fucking P.O.D. or something. very bad. i can't think of anything good to say about it.

Bleeding the Orchid - better than the first two. kind of the only song i haven't gotten my head around yet, though.

That's the Way - my favorite so far. it does sound like a Machina/Zwan song but I think it's better than 90% of the material from either of those efforts. the solo is really great and just the melody in the chorus (which I guess is just one line) is very pleasing.

Tarantula - man my opinion on this song has changed drastically ever since I heard it initially. at first I was pleasantly surprised. a day later and I hated it and thought it was cliched buttrock or whatever, and now I like it even more than I did initially. sick soloing. horrible lyrics though.

Starz - amazingly I don't mind the WE ARE STARZ bit that I was really nervous about because even the fanboys seemed to hate it. there is a drum solo if i remember correctly? solid effort.

United States - hands down my favorite on the album. the last 3 minutes or so is awesome I think, best vocals on the album. I even like the droney wankery in the middle.

Neverlost - sound different from most everything else on the record which is nice since a lot of it is quite homogeneous. not really anything special though.

Bring the Light - sing "bring the light" a few more times Bill. haha I actually dig this quite a bit, the solo is insane.

Come On Let's Go - man, 2 songs in a row where the title is repeated about 30 times. I really don't care for this at all, it sounds like a half-assed attempt at Zero with cheery lyrics.

For God and Country - that synth would have sounded outdated in 1983, jesus. i don't hate it though, it's an interesting song with typically horrible lyrics.

Pomp and Circumstances - wow, it really does sound like Enya. i like it though, especially when the guitar kicks in.

I bought the no-frills edition but for the bonus tracks:
Death from Above - sonic abortion
Stellar - sounds like a grower, I haven't given it the proper time yet.
Zeitgeist - fantastic. put the pro tools away and more songs like this on the next record please.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:30 PM   #726
TAFH
Demi-God

hahahahha I can't believe that kid... but he's telling the truth... THE TRUTH... THE TRUTH...
SO LISTEN TO DIFFERENT OPINIONS... YOU DORKS, FUCKING MORONS!!!

go back to your jerk-off daily routines...

Old 07-11-2007, 02:30 PM   #727
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: a melting apocalyptic jungle bleeding out of me like a dream

ban this newb troll bastard who doesnt like 'anything past 97'
lolz at him

Old 07-11-2007, 02:31 PM   #728
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: a melting apocalyptic jungle bleeding out of me like a dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFH
hahahahha I can't believe that kid... but he's telling the truth... THE TRUTH... THE TRUTH...
SO LISTEN TO DIFFERENT OPINIONS... YOU DORKS, FUCKING MORONS!!!

go back to your jerk-off daily routines...

i want to cut off your face and wear it for halloween

Old 07-11-2007, 02:39 PM   #729
apetulantfrenzy
Ownz

Maybe you should find something better in life than trolling an SP messageboard?
A few pieces of evidence why YOU suck:
Quote:
united states is gay... he's so ignorant about politics...
You, sir, are the ignorant homophobe, and if you want better insight into politics, read the motherfing Economist.
Quote:
I don't like anything past 1997
Do you realize that was 10 years ago? You're just as bad as an aging hippie.
Quote:
lyrics are stupid, like britney spears wrote them
I doubt you ever really appreciated his old lyrics, 'cause these are just as poetic.
Quote:
that band is not the smashing pumpkins.
As Billy told the crowd outside an Asheville show, that group of people is the only band that can/will play those songs. If you can't accept that, you are a sad, nostalgic man.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:49 PM   #730
hummer26
Demi-God

well music past 1997 is not that great....lets be real. Zeitgiest rocks and I am thankful for it.....but pre 97 is where its at.

the lyrics are just nowhere near as poetic as they used to be. anyone who thinks so obviously never appreciated the lyrics from sd or mcis.....the zeitgeist lyrics are mediocre but not terrible. we just hold a really high standard for BC.

that guy from John from Cincinatti whose from Hawaii...with the glasses....real wierdo

Old 07-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #731
slack_prad
Oblivious Virgin

I hate it when people do a track by track review of an album. It is just demeaning. You have to look at it as a whole especially with SP.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #732
panopticon
Demi-God

Old 07-11-2007, 03:33 PM   #733
areyougaffney?
Demi-God

liking it a lot and got a few songs constantly stuck in my head. really like 7 shades, bring the light, starz and pomp...like most the others (can't get into come on lets go and G +C).
Idunno it's good, but at the moment it's not wow this is amazing that all the other albums (bar machina) were on first few listens. I think it'll continue to grow. I hope so.
Its really good just not 100% sold just yet ll the album as a whole. man I hope that changes....did anyone else feel this way.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #734
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

some more positive reviews out on the interwebs:

http://www.ugo.com/ugo/html/article/...10&sectionId=2

they gave it an A, A-, A- for music, lyrics, overall (respectively)

http://www.freetimes.com/stories/15/10/simply-smashing

and these guys gave it 3.5 out of 4.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:13 PM   #735
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopryn
Doomsday Clock - this is still embarassing. the Kafka lyric is kind of funny though. I like the vocal effects in the breakdown and also the siren guitars.

7 Shades - this sounds like fucking P.O.D. or something. very bad. i can't think of anything good to say about it.

Starz - amazingly I don't mind the WE ARE STARZ bit that I was really nervous about because even the fanboys seemed to hate it. there is a drum solo if i remember correctly? solid effort.

Neverlost - sound different from most everything else on the record which is nice since a lot of it is quite homogeneous. not really anything special though.

Come On Let's Go - man, 2 songs in a row where the title is repeated about 30 times. I really don't care for this at all, it sounds like a half-assed attempt at Zero with cheery lyrics.
working up from the end...

i think you shoudl gve Come Cn Lets Go a little more of a chance/deer listen. this is one of my favorites (if not THE favorite) on the album right now. I just love how it sounds like a song that coudl easily have been verse-chorus-verse but then it just keeps evolving and changing. parts are added, taken away...its gets heavier....i really love it. and all the while the song is has a continuous and forward-moving energy. its also definitely got a happy energy that reminds me of something like Rocket on SD...as opposed to the jesus/poppy happy energy of Zwan. then at the end, when it all finally comes back full circle to the early part of the song....man, thats slick. in many ways its like tarantula, with many many dynamically changing parts and vocal melodies.

Neverlost gets better over time. Like Bring The Light, P&C, Starz and pretty much every song on the album it really gets awesome as the intenisty builds towards the end of the song.

Yea, that drum tapping break-down with the dirty guitar sound at the end of Starz is awesome. And then that just starts the relentless ending with the never-ending cymbal crashes. Rock.

As far as the first two....focusing more on the lyrics and the nuances of the high-pitched guitar sound really made 7 Shades click for me. This just sounds like a great straight-forward angst-driven track where the lyrcics are the focus. I picture just constant strumming while the lyrics are screamed into the mic...then again, they didn't play 7 Shades at Paris so i don't know if the live experience will live up to my imagination. either way, this is how the song grew on me.

Doomsday Clock, to me, seems the most produced and "clean" song on the record. The most radio-friendly, which is strange since it is not really slated to be a single officially. It reminds me of a QOTSA song, and is easy to rock out to, enjoy and is catchy...so whatever...nothing ground-breaking but certainly not horrible by any means. THE JACKYLS LICK THEIR PAWS!!!!

Old 07-11-2007, 11:22 PM   #736
ToTheAtom
Pledge

i chose not to download the leak or listen to live boots of the new songs so here's my impression after about two listens (excluding the two singles, because i was familiar with those)...

immediately impressed by these tracks:

United States
Bring the Light
For God and Country
Starz

completely suprised by this track:

7 Shades of Black

this track is quickly growing on me:

Come On (Let's Go)

need some time with these tracks:

That's The Way (My Love Is)
Bleeding the Orchid
Pomp and Circumstances

not really impressed by this one so far:

Neverlost

Old 07-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #737
panopticon
Demi-God

Well i've given in too many listens to count now and i think my reservations about FG&C and Starz arent really valid anymore. I'm enjoying the album, especially with the bonus tracks in their place - it's actually better that way but i don't mind listening to the CD version, still has plenty of memorable moments.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #738
The Night Mare
Oblivious Virgin

Jimmy is flawless, and Billy's guitar work is solid and sometimes very good. The music in general is the kind of Pumpkins music that I like best, so that's cool.

The lyrics are across the board mediocre, and sometimes just laughable. I'd point to Doomsday Clock and United States as an example of the latter. "I want to fight a revolution tonight" and the chorus of the former. Very juvenile and meaningless lyrics. And I'm a lyrics freak... I'm obsessed with lyrics, particularly Pumpkins lyrics. And these just are not up to their normal standards.

There are a few lyrically cool songs. For me, 7 Shades of Black and the first verse of Tarantula are good examples.

The song titles make my soul cry, but that's not a big deal. It's just so un-SPish to have meaningless phrases serve as a weak repeated refrain in a song and then serve as the title as well (i.e., Come On and Bring the Light... the latter of which I still like a fair amount).

His vocals sound dead. Lifeless, that is. His voice is weaker than it used to be, and he can't pull off the same range (and doesn't seem to try). Listen to the end of Doomsday Clock... he doesn't have the same passion in his voice. Honestly, compare any of these songs to his vocals on MCIS, and you'll see what I mean.

The religious and political stuff makes for terrible lyrics, also. So that does manage to intrude on the music. I do not want to hear praise for Jesus or Bush bashing entering my ears, particularly not from Billy Corgan.

Finally, I am scared shitless of tarantulas.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #739
pete
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Night Mare

Finally, I am scared shitless of tarantulas.

Behold!

Old 07-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #740
Shapan
Socialphobic

7 shades sounds like pod?

that song is the best thing on zeitgeist

Old 07-12-2007, 06:29 PM   #741
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

I can't listen to 7 Shades without cringing at the awful intro

Old 07-12-2007, 06:31 PM   #742
The Night Mare
Oblivious Virgin

I thought it was an okay, but boring, song at first. Then I figured out the lyrics and I really like it. At least Billy is singing about topics he knows how to write a song about (as opposed to Jesus and Iraq).

Actually, the intro to me just sounds like Wound crossed with Bodies?

Old 07-12-2007, 10:07 PM   #743
spliff0328
Pledge

Zeitgeist is a good album. It's no MCIS, but it definitely rocks. I also added the three bonus tracks into the mix to make it a 15 song "album."

Death From Above and Stellar are GREAT songs.. especially Stellar. Zeitgest bonus track is good too but not on the same level. Stellar reminds me of the that dynamic epic Pumpkins sound that's been missing for a while

7 Shades of Black is my least favorite song on the album. I think United States sounds better on the album than live. Awesome song.

Overall I'm enjoying just about every song except 7 Shades. I have a feeling I will be listening to this album over and over again.. I'd rank it high on the list of Pumpkins albums.

Oh yeah.. almost forgot.. I still love Tarantula too.

Last edited by spliff0328 : 07-12-2007 at 10:16 PM.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:13 PM   #744
SpFission
Apocalyptic Poster

7 Shades of Black is probably the best song on the album, weird.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:25 PM   #745
White Spyder
Pledge

first post, long time voyeur

i was really pleasantly surprised that zeitgeist was as good as it was. still need to actually buy a copy. the internet can be an evil tool.

i am in the boat with people who really like god and country. the bass line and the drums are really quite funky. what a bizarre song.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:24 PM   #746
i_adore_adore
Apocalyptic Poster

My sister freaking LOVES "For God and Country," and my sister isn't a big SP fan (she likes them, but she's never asked to listen to them before...) Now whenever we go somewhere together she says, "Put in 'For God and Country!'"

To be honest, it's actually getting annoying! she's ruining a perfectly good song by overplaying it! I wish she'd give the rest of Zeitgeist a closer listen (she also loves "Tarantula")

I'm taking her with to see SP in Normal, IL, and she's so excited to hear "Tarantula" and (possibly) "For God and Country" live. It's really quite amusing!!

Old 08-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #747
dudehitscar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpFission
7 Shades of Black is probably the best song on the album, weird.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:41 PM   #748
Spira|_
Apocalyptic Poster

Well I listened Zeitgeist just a few times yet, I knew better the live versions, and in first I can say that "Zeitgeist studio" > "Zeitgeist live" (maybe except United States maybe)...

But by the listens I did yet Im very afraid I will never get used or like the: chorus vocals (wtf chorus are that?!?), the guitar solos wich sounds so much classic rock (I love SP solos coz they are diferent and unique, not rocky stylish) and on some musics JC drums sounds too much classic rock too (I hate those usual rock 4/4 tempos...)

But I will say more after the next 100 Zeitgeist listenings...

LOVE

p.s. But almost definitly MCIS will stay on my top.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:55 AM   #749
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm still a bit sad about the absense of female backing vocals I grew so fond of listening to the live versions. Granted, Lisa and Ginger weren't in the band during the recording, but it would have added a nice touch.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:28 AM   #750
jasminetea
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spira|_
the guitar solos wich sounds so much classic rock (I love SP solos coz they are diferent and unique, not rocky stylish) and on some musics JC drums sounds too much classic rock too (I hate those usual rock 4/4 tempos...)
yeah i agree. namely come on lets go and bring the light. Billy's riff and Jimmy's drum is boring 8 beat which i hate.

i think every song on zeitgeist is good. but it's the least creative album they've ever made.