Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2005, 07:04 PM   #1
Quiet CD
Apocalyptic Poster

Default San Francisco Nights 1 and 2

Since the other thread was highly taken off course and was just for Night 1, I thought I would post this...

Its been almost a week since the shows, but I have finally mustered the fortitude to get down and write my experiences of the shows. I have to preface this whole write up stating that from hearing from my friends and others who have seen the shows before hand, they had expressed a general sentiment of the show lacking enthusiasm or interest on the part of Billy. I think with the LA shows this can be attributed mostly by apathetic or miserable audiences, time and time again I've gone to multiple shows on a tour (not BC related) and in the last couple of years have noticed a distinguishable trend of the audiences in LA being far far far far less interested than the audiences in San Francisco and the Bay Area. I was amazed at how well the audience received the band, just from my expectations, I had believed that people were going to be generally disrespectful and rude (shouting out stupid s*it like Jackboot etc)... quite the opposite actually people were very polite and I only heard a few ridiculous things shouted.

Alright so Night 1. I get there around 5:30 or so. Hang out in line for a couple of minutes, hear the roar of a large vehicle coming down the street, turn around, its a large tourbus, with no other than Gooch sitting in the front seat. I stand patiently in my spot. Most of the line rushes the unloading tour bus, I stand my ground (something about being involved in that whole mess makes me uncomfortable). I see a bucket hat floating above the sea of clamouring fans. So back to the line, I am unfortunately stuck behind this girl (at least in her 20's) who will not stop talking mindlessly about Billy, her words are reflective a notion that she is best friends with him, just the most inane psychobabble for hours and hours on end, even the little teenage girls with braces were telling her to shut up because of how ridiculously stupid and immature she was (as well as annoying). I see ***** (and wife) and a few other people of Pumpkin Fan Past... Mike, Sam and Monet (along with myself) decide to the ditch the line for a little while and get a few drinks across the street at the Boom Boom Room. Had a pint of some red ale, then a redbull and vodka (a heart starter) and almost caught on fire because a stack of napkins behind me caught a spark from a nearby candle. Leave the Boom Boom, get back in line. Around 8 or so they start marching in the sheep. Instead of the original plan of hanging out in the balcony the first night and doing the floor the second night, i go right to the floor, get a spot behind the first row of people slightly to the right of Billy almost dead in front of Linda.

The Crimea opened... I loved their intro audio, moreso recently i've focused much on the perceptions of life and death and how we perceive both of them and contrast them against each other, I liked that they were trying to bring these questions to the front of people's minds and get them to think about it. The lead singer was definitely unique, people criticized his motions and seizure like movements as ridiculous, but I wholly believe that people can get that into the music they perform that their body is also *******d in the expression of what the song is conveying. His voice however was a little rough, but to each their own. Their lead guitarist who looked of middle eastern **********, he had dark long curly hair, that guy was f'in amazing... He played so well and so beautifully, I was genuinely impressed by his talent. Doris Henson came up next... oh and a side note, well done to the crew for the band for being so efficient at getting the gear swapped out etc, nothing more aggrivating than having to wait longer than a band's whole set for the next band to come on (I think one of the longest waits was Zwan at the Roxy, if I remember correctly, well over an hour for the crew to get s*it right, not blaming them, but it was just long as hell)... so back to Doris Henson, they were pretty cool, the singer's voice had some similarities to Colin Meloy of the Decemberists, just the tone, not the style. They had some great songs, can't remember specifically which ones, but some good lyrics and overall appeasing songs. Can't remember if it was the first night or the second night, but some idiot in the crowd was shouting for Billy Corgan, so the singer of Doris Henson introduced the Band and said "We are Billy Corgan". Hysterical. They played a tight set (their trombone player was f*cking funny, totally didn't fit the rest of the appearance of the band, but hell he looked happy as a pig in s*it) and the crowd was very recepting to them and gave them a good reception, the lead singer also mentioned how much of an honor it was to him to be playing the Fillmore. They finish... the crew start bringing out the lovely crafted metal pieces of the band's gear. I've done a bit of work with metal and its no easy medium to work with, even sheet aluminum is a pain the ass, but these pieces for Billy's set up were phenomenal, it really is hard to craft things as precise as I saw them, the table and stands being balanced and height proportionate etc etc... I have seen Dessa's website, but it was nice to see these elements in the flesh. So the stage is set up... the crowd is anxious, i feel a little more cramped in my place as the bodies behind me push forward a bit....the lights go out, the crowd goes wild. I can't remember who took the stage first, but once Billy's dome peaked out of the door to the left of the stage that was the end of any silence. The band took the stage, to what I believe was Bit 4 possibly... the machines resumed their posses and the show started with Now (and Then). Great starting song, the live version is definitely simpler and slower than the album, but I think it allows for a great emotion to pass through it with Billy singing. Then it went I'm Ready, Mina Loy, To Love Somebody, Sorrows (in blue) which was dropped about 30sec to a minute into it because of some odd noise coming from somewhere, very strange, started it over and it was much better. Then I think it was Bit 7, Johanna (which sounds so f*cking good live, the recordings i've heard prior don't do it justice, Billy's voice shines on this song), DIA, Pretty Pretty STAR, A100, TheCameraEye (which is my favorite, I had been dancing to every song, but I really let loose on this one, it was also lovely to see Linda so into this song too), Sittin' On Top of The World, All Things Change (which got a pretty damn good crowd sing along going), then Bit 5 (which I love because it reminds me of Zwan a little bit, just a little more fluid with the music allowing for some flexibility and divesity with each performance, hard to explain). Now there was something I really noticed about Night 1 that was different from the second night, there was almost this eerie coreogrpahed act that the band would participate in, before some songs, the screen in the back would be on, the members would stand away from their instruments, completely still silhouettes on stage as the music started on certain songs. Very strange to me because it didn't happen the second night, wasn't sure what the intent of this was, maybe to obviously show that it wasn't all just musicians and instruments, that machines were integral to the performance.

After Bit 5 the band leaves the stage with an incredible amount of applause, screaming and whatever other methods of making noise. One of the crew leaves Billy's microphone on the ground on purpose, I thought this meant it was going to be Strayz and the show would be over, not the case. After a few minutes Lindas contrasting streaks appear from the back room (of course only those of us with the height advantage can see this)... crowd goes wild again, and I mean really wild, this audience is the loudest i've ever experienced at the Fillmore. They come back for the first encore, two covers, the first I'm A King Bee (which *******d the standard Today tease, yet maybe 10-15 people in the whole audience caught it, I think at this point Billy looked over at Linda and kind of laughed). Then It's A Long Way To the Top, which was probably one of hte better covers that evening, combination of the heaviness and finally getting to hear Linda's vocals as a more dominant presence was very awesome. They leave the stage again with much applause, Billy saying thank you, nothing out of the ordinary.

The crowd again in the dark, shouting for more and more. Billy returns to the stage (alone if I recall) waves to the audience, he seems fairly pleased with the situation. He sings Strayz, while walking around the front of the stage, clearly (or so i think) trying to express that he is singing to his fans in this song, I think he climed the right speaker stack for a portion of singing this song. After Strayz, Brian Linda and Matt return to a song I wasn't familiar with, containe the lyrics of "I Wan't You" and then transitioned into a sort of a Cover of U2's Pride (In the Name of Love)... I find it very funny that U2 is doing a similar thing in their set with using lyrics of Bullet With Butterfly Wings in one of their songs. Was a little surprised that they hadn't played Walking Shade (not that most people would care because it doesn't have public presence as a dominant radio single or anything) I think after the Thank You's the band leaves the stage and Billy hangs out for a bit to talk to the audience (can't remember if this was at this point in the show or earlier) and talks about how he has to take a shower because he stinks of Pot, saying things like "is pot legal here?", there were quite a few people smoking (but not nearly as much as most concerts I attend here), and for the most part yes it is legal here, Police officers do not bust people for it, its publicly accepted here. He then went on to say something along the lines of "only in San Francisco is it legal to smoke pot and marry a dude" and something else after that but couldn't make it out. He said many Thank Yous and gestured the International Signage for Thank You to the audience over and over. Billy also said there was no way the next night's show would be any better than this one, but then he said he was joking and it would be much better. Shook peoples hands in the front row, I attempt to just hold my ground as people behind reach for him.

Left the venue, got a rad Fillmore poster for the show (which has very Machina-esque artwork). Hung out for quite a while, wanted to say hello to Linda without the hoard of people. Waited for quite a while, said hello to Brian, thanked him for the great show, Billy came out eventually and there were a few individuals around still, He agreed to one thing for each person, photo or 'graph... I wasn't interested in either, gave him a handshake and told him thanks for the great show. Decided to leave, it was late.

Second Night: I was almost about not to go to the show, I was very put off the evening before by some poeple in the audience and in line, that I felt sick to my stomach, wondering if I had ever been as unhuman as they were. Billy shows always put me in weird moods, either good ones or bad ones... anyhow I decide to go really late instead of waiting like before, don't care where I am, just want to see the show. I pick up my friend JR from Wasteland (vintage clothing store on Haight) to take him with me, I had received two tickets for the show, might as well bring along someone who has liked BC at one point in time. So its 8:30 or so by the time we get there, walking up to the venue, and the tour bus is right in front of it, I walk by it not thinking about it, JR hops up and looks in the back window as I keep walking. He says something "oh there is some woman in there"... I wonder... and ask him "did she have blonde hair with dark streaks" and he says yes... I go up to the window and shout out "Linda", probably was too quiet (hence the name the silent one) and should again, she comes up to the window, sees me and tells me to hold on... she comes out of the bus with a glowing smile. She gives me a hug and we exchange a few words, introduce her to JR. It had been a few years since I had last seen her, but I had forgotten how much of a positive vibe that girl gives off, it was very nice to see her again. We chatted for a few minutes and I let her go cause I didn't want to take up her time especially so close to the show starting etc. We went inside. I saw my friends at the front right of the stage... I moved close to them as I could and said hello. Saw Ammy and Dan (not that any of you would know who they are ) and was very happy about that. This evening Doris Henson went on first, and they brought out Matt Walker on a song (one of their more rocking ones) and wow did he rock the f*ck out of those drums (I think he enjoyed using a real set of drums for a change). That was a nice treat, also cool of the Crimea to let him use their drum set. Then the Crimea came on second, not quite as amazing as the first night, they seemed to be a little less into it, hard to say really. The crowd was still very receptive and appreciative of both opening bands. Things were moving a little faster this evening. Billy and Company went on stage much earlier (at this point I had moved much further up in the crowd because Ammy grabbed my hand and pulled me) to the same energetic applause again though. Started again with Bit 4 I believe during the entrance of the band and their positioning. They then transitioned into Bit 5, A100, TheCameraEye (which was much more entertaining the second evening, I think Linda saw me, hopefully dancing my ass off), Mina Loy, Johanna (which was accented with a classic Billy howl, great to hear that again, hopefully means he was really enjoying himself), To Love Somebody, then a treat... Just a Song Before I Go by Crosby Stills and Nash (f*cking beautiful rendition with great backup by Linda), DIA, Now (and Then), It's A Long Way to the Top, the song that transitions into Pride, I'm Ready, All Things Change (not as much emphasis on the crowd participation). Band leaves the stage.

Few things I had noticed about the evening so far, lack of that eerie posing thing, Billy appeared to be much more into the show (better solos, howling etc), Linda was rocking out harder too it seemed like, Brian and Matt were fairly the same as the night before.

The crowd was equally as enthusiastic as the first night, they would not give up until they came back. Which happened... and finally Walking Shade, I wasn't as keen on this song at first, but after hearing it live (in fact this applies with much of the album) I've been very stuck on it. Then a real treat, Mini, probably one of the best songs from this "Future s*it" along with Tilt... absolutely love this song and I was very very very happy to hear it in person. The crowd completely overwhelmed, is very supportive and loudly shows it. Eventually Billy comes back on stage to do a little talking. Some dumbass shouts something stupid and Billy kinda stops and points the microphone in his direction to hopefully make him embarrassed. I hope someone has this recorded because I can't remember all of this, but he talked about how 37 years ago the artists performing at the Fillmore could change the world, and did to some extent by their music, hence why Billy sings the lyrics he does "we can change the world", talked about how he hates the music industry, but its changing. Talked about Live105 and how they don't play his song, but he still supports the station because they have been very good to him over the years. He discussed that how he wants to come back and play Metal to 100,000 people in Golden Gate park instead of this "Future s*it". He laughs along with the audience. Says that he likes to have his song on the radio, likes to sell CD and makes money, but no matter what he will never sell out. The general sentiment of the little speech was very resonating, reversed any doubts I had about his "ethics" as a musician in this industry, sometimes a direct and uncloaked reminder of such is necessary.

Leave the venue, get another poster (though this one not for me)... Wait outside a little, there were 50-100 individuals this time in contrast to less than a dozen the evening prior. Linda comes out, goes to the bus comes back, few of my friends get her autograph then I steal her from the crowd for a moment (some guy was whining about how much time i was taking with her) and get her to help me out in a special request, give her another hug a euro-cheeck smooch and got on my marry way, didn't want to wait around with the mad masses for the Corganator.

Went and ate at Mel's Diner, had a boysenberry and peach smoothie that so damn good and went home... what a f*cking weekend.

I don't have pictures, I'm lame, my big ass camera wouldn't fit anywhere in my clothing anyhow.

Old 07-21-2005, 07:23 PM   #2
'|' jIMMY '|'
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Re: San Francisco Nights 1 and 2

Quote:
Originally posted by Quiet CD
Since the other thread was highly taken off course and was just for Night 1, I thought I would post this...

Its been almost a week since the shows, but I have finally mustered the fortitude to get down and write my experiences of the shows. I have to preface this whole write up stating that from hearing from my friends and others who have seen the shows before hand, they had expressed a general sentiment of the show lacking enthusiasm or interest on the part of Billy. I think with the LA shows this can be attributed mostly by apathetic or miserable audiences, time and time again I've gone to multiple shows on a tour (not BC related) and in the last couple of years have noticed a distinguishable trend of the audiences in LA being far far far far less interested than the audiences in San Francisco and the Bay Area. I was amazed at how well the audience received the band, just from my expectations, I had believed that people were going to be generally disrespectful and rude (shouting out stupid s*it like Jackboot etc)... quite the opposite actually people were very polite and I only heard a few ridiculous things shouted.

Alright so Night 1. I get there around 5:30 or so. Hang out in line for a couple of minutes, hear the roar of a large vehicle coming down the street, turn around, its a large tourbus, with no other than Gooch sitting in the front seat. I stand patiently in my spot. Most of the line rushes the unloading tour bus, I stand my ground (something about being involved in that whole mess makes me uncomfortable). I see a bucket hat floating above the sea of clamouring fans. So back to the line, I am unfortunately stuck behind this girl (at least in her 20's) who will not stop talking mindlessly about Billy, her words are reflective a notion that she is best friends with him, just the most inane psychobabble for hours and hours on end, even the little teenage girls with braces were telling her to shut up because of how ridiculously stupid and immature she was (as well as annoying). I see ***** (and wife) and a few other people of Pumpkin Fan Past... Mike, Sam and Monet (along with myself) decide to the ditch the line for a little while and get a few drinks across the street at the Boom Boom Room. Had a pint of some red ale, then a redbull and vodka (a heart starter) and almost caught on fire because a stack of napkins behind me caught a spark from a nearby candle. Leave the Boom Boom, get back in line. Around 8 or so they start marching in the sheep. Instead of the original plan of hanging out in the balcony the first night and doing the floor the second night, i go right to the floor, get a spot behind the first row of people slightly to the right of Billy almost dead in front of Linda.

The Crimea opened... I loved their intro audio, moreso recently i've focused much on the perceptions of life and death and how we perceive both of them and contrast them against each other, I liked that they were trying to bring these questions to the front of people's minds and get them to think about it. The lead singer was definitely unique, people criticized his motions and seizure like movements as ridiculous, but I wholly believe that people can get that into the music they perform that their body is also *******d in the expression of what the song is conveying. His voice however was a little rough, but to each their own. Their lead guitarist who looked of middle eastern **********, he had dark long curly hair, that guy was f'in amazing... He played so well and so beautifully, I was genuinely impressed by his talent. Doris Henson came up next... oh and a side note, well done to the crew for the band for being so efficient at getting the gear swapped out etc, nothing more aggrivating than having to wait longer than a band's whole set for the next band to come on (I think one of the longest waits was Zwan at the Roxy, if I remember correctly, well over an hour for the crew to get s*it right, not blaming them, but it was just long as hell)... so back to Doris Henson, they were pretty cool, the singer's voice had some similarities to Colin Meloy of the Decemberists, just the tone, not the style. They had some great songs, can't remember specifically which ones, but some good lyrics and overall appeasing songs. Can't remember if it was the first night or the second night, but some idiot in the crowd was shouting for Billy Corgan, so the singer of Doris Henson introduced the Band and said "We are Billy Corgan". Hysterical. They played a tight set (their trombone player was f*cking funny, totally didn't fit the rest of the appearance of the band, but hell he looked happy as a pig in s*it) and the crowd was very recepting to them and gave them a good reception, the lead singer also mentioned how much of an honor it was to him to be playing the Fillmore. They finish... the crew start bringing out the lovely crafted metal pieces of the band's gear. I've done a bit of work with metal and its no easy medium to work with, even sheet aluminum is a pain the ass, but these pieces for Billy's set up were phenomenal, it really is hard to craft things as precise as I saw them, the table and stands being balanced and height proportionate etc etc... I have seen Dessa's website, but it was nice to see these elements in the flesh. So the stage is set up... the crowd is anxious, i feel a little more cramped in my place as the bodies behind me push forward a bit....the lights go out, the crowd goes wild. I can't remember who took the stage first, but once Billy's dome peaked out of the door to the left of the stage that was the end of any silence. The band took the stage, to what I believe was Bit 4 possibly... the machines resumed their posses and the show started with Now (and Then). Great starting song, the live version is definitely simpler and slower than the album, but I think it allows for a great emotion to pass through it with Billy singing. Then it went I'm Ready, Mina Loy, To Love Somebody, Sorrows (in blue) which was dropped about 30sec to a minute into it because of some odd noise coming from somewhere, very strange, started it over and it was much better. Then I think it was Bit 7, Johanna (which sounds so f*cking good live, the recordings i've heard prior don't do it justice, Billy's voice shines on this song), DIA, Pretty Pretty STAR, A100, TheCameraEye (which is my favorite, I had been dancing to every song, but I really let loose on this one, it was also lovely to see Linda so into this song too), Sittin' On Top of The World, All Things Change (which got a pretty damn good crowd sing along going), then Bit 5 (which I love because it reminds me of Zwan a little bit, just a little more fluid with the music allowing for some flexibility and divesity with each performance, hard to explain). Now there was something I really noticed about Night 1 that was different from the second night, there was almost this eerie coreogrpahed act that the band would participate in, before some songs, the screen in the back would be on, the members would stand away from their instruments, completely still silhouettes on stage as the music started on certain songs. Very strange to me because it didn't happen the second night, wasn't sure what the intent of this was, maybe to obviously show that it wasn't all just musicians and instruments, that machines were integral to the performance.

After Bit 5 the band leaves the stage with an incredible amount of applause, screaming and whatever other methods of making noise. One of the crew leaves Billy's microphone on the ground on purpose, I thought this meant it was going to be Strayz and the show would be over, not the case. After a few minutes Lindas contrasting streaks appear from the back room (of course only those of us with the height advantage can see this)... crowd goes wild again, and I mean really wild, this audience is the loudest i've ever experienced at the Fillmore. They come back for the first encore, two covers, the first I'm A King Bee (which *******d the standard Today tease, yet maybe 10-15 people in the whole audience caught it, I think at this point Billy looked over at Linda and kind of laughed). Then It's A Long Way To the Top, which was probably one of hte better covers that evening, combination of the heaviness and finally getting to hear Linda's vocals as a more dominant presence was very awesome. They leave the stage again with much applause, Billy saying thank you, nothing out of the ordinary.

The crowd again in the dark, shouting for more and more. Billy returns to the stage (alone if I recall) waves to the audience, he seems fairly pleased with the situation. He sings Strayz, while walking around the front of the stage, clearly (or so i think) trying to express that he is singing to his fans in this song, I think he climed the right speaker stack for a portion of singing this song. After Strayz, Brian Linda and Matt return to a song I wasn't familiar with, containe the lyrics of "I Wan't You" and then transitioned into a sort of a Cover of U2's Pride (In the Name of Love)... I find it very funny that U2 is doing a similar thing in their set with using lyrics of Bullet With Butterfly Wings in one of their songs. Was a little surprised that they hadn't played Walking Shade (not that most people would care because it doesn't have public presence as a dominant radio single or anything) I think after the Thank You's the band leaves the stage and Billy hangs out for a bit to talk to the audience (can't remember if this was at this point in the show or earlier) and talks about how he has to take a shower because he stinks of Pot, saying things like "is pot legal here?", there were quite a few people smoking (but not nearly as much as most concerts I attend here), and for the most part yes it is legal here, Police officers do not bust people for it, its publicly accepted here. He then went on to say something along the lines of "only in San Francisco is it legal to smoke pot and marry a dude" and something else after that but couldn't make it out. He said many Thank Yous and gestured the International Signage for Thank You to the audience over and over. Billy also said there was no way the next night's show would be any better than this one, but then he said he was joking and it would be much better. Shook peoples hands in the front row, I attempt to just hold my ground as people behind reach for him.

Left the venue, got a rad Fillmore poster for the show (which has very Machina-esque artwork). Hung out for quite a while, wanted to say hello to Linda without the hoard of people. Waited for quite a while, said hello to Brian, thanked him for the great show, Billy came out eventually and there were a few individuals around still, He agreed to one thing for each person, photo or 'graph... I wasn't interested in either, gave him a handshake and told him thanks for the great show. Decided to leave, it was late.

Second Night: I was almost about not to go to the show, I was very put off the evening before by some poeple in the audience and in line, that I felt sick to my stomach, wondering if I had ever been as unhuman as they were. Billy shows always put me in weird moods, either good ones or bad ones... anyhow I decide to go really late instead of waiting like before, don't care where I am, just want to see the show. I pick up my friend JR from Wasteland (vintage clothing store on Haight) to take him with me, I had received two tickets for the show, might as well bring along someone who has liked BC at one point in time. So its 8:30 or so by the time we get there, walking up to the venue, and the tour bus is right in front of it, I walk by it not thinking about it, JR hops up and looks in the back window as I keep walking. He says something "oh there is some woman in there"... I wonder... and ask him "did she have blonde hair with dark streaks" and he says yes... I go up to the window and shout out "Linda", probably was too quiet (hence the name the silent one) and should again, she comes up to the window, sees me and tells me to hold on... she comes out of the bus with a glowing smile. She gives me a hug and we exchange a few words, introduce her to JR. It had been a few years since I had last seen her, but I had forgotten how much of a positive vibe that girl gives off, it was very nice to see her again. We chatted for a few minutes and I let her go cause I didn't want to take up her time especially so close to the show starting etc. We went inside. I saw my friends at the front right of the stage... I moved close to them as I could and said hello. Saw Ammy and Dan (not that any of you would know who they are ) and was very happy about that. This evening Doris Henson went on first, and they brought out Matt Walker on a song (one of their more rocking ones) and wow did he rock the f*ck out of those drums (I think he enjoyed using a real set of drums for a change). That was a nice treat, also cool of the Crimea to let him use their drum set. Then the Crimea came on second, not quite as amazing as the first night, they seemed to be a little less into it, hard to say really. The crowd was still very receptive and appreciative of both opening bands. Things were moving a little faster this evening. Billy and Company went on stage much earlier (at this point I had moved much further up in the crowd because Ammy grabbed my hand and pulled me) to the same energetic applause again though. Started again with Bit 4 I believe during the entrance of the band and their positioning. They then transitioned into Bit 5, A100, TheCameraEye (which was much more entertaining the second evening, I think Linda saw me, hopefully dancing my ass off), Mina Loy, Johanna (which was accented with a classic Billy howl, great to hear that again, hopefully means he was really enjoying himself), To Love Somebody, then a treat... Just a Song Before I Go by Crosby Stills and Nash (f*cking beautiful rendition with great backup by Linda), DIA, Now (and Then), It's A Long Way to the Top, the song that transitions into Pride, I'm Ready, All Things Change (not as much emphasis on the crowd participation). Band leaves the stage.

Few things I had noticed about the evening so far, lack of that eerie posing thing, Billy appeared to be much more into the show (better solos, howling etc), Linda was rocking out harder too it seemed like, Brian and Matt were fairly the same as the night before.

The crowd was equally as enthusiastic as the first night, they would not give up until they came back. Which happened... and finally Walking Shade, I wasn't as keen on this song at first, but after hearing it live (in fact this applies with much of the album) I've been very stuck on it. Then a real treat, Mini, probably one of the best songs from this "Future s*it" along with Tilt... absolutely love this song and I was very very very happy to hear it in person. The crowd completely overwhelmed, is very supportive and loudly shows it. Eventually Billy comes back on stage to do a little talking. Some dumbass shouts something stupid and Billy kinda stops and points the microphone in his direction to hopefully make him embarrassed. I hope someone has this recorded because I can't remember all of this, but he talked about how 37 years ago the artists performing at the Fillmore could change the world, and did to some extent by their music, hence why Billy sings the lyrics he does "we can change the world", talked about how he hates the music industry, but its changing. Talked about Live105 and how they don't play his song, but he still supports the station because they have been very good to him over the years. He discussed that how he wants to come back and play Metal to 100,000 people in Golden Gate park instead of this "Future s*it". He laughs along with the audience. Says that he likes to have his song on the radio, likes to sell CD and makes money, but no matter what he will never sell out. The general sentiment of the little speech was very resonating, reversed any doubts I had about his "ethics" as a musician in this industry, sometimes a direct and uncloaked reminder of such is necessary.

Leave the venue, get another poster (though this one not for me)... Wait outside a little, there were 50-100 individuals this time in contrast to less than a dozen the evening prior. Linda comes out, goes to the bus comes back, few of my friends get her autograph then I steal her from the crowd for a moment (some guy was whining about how much time i was taking with her) and get her to help me out in a special request, give her another hug a euro-cheeck smooch and got on my marry way, didn't want to wait around with the mad masses for the Corganator.

Went and ate at Mel's Diner, had a boysenberry and peach smoothie that so damn good and went home... what a f*cking weekend.

I don't have pictures, I'm lame, my big ass camera wouldn't fit anywhere in my clothing anyhow.
WHEW!

well anyway, I hope there's some filipino pumpkinheads out there in S.F. also watched & experienced the concert..

Old 07-21-2005, 07:49 PM   #3
transluscent
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Then a real treat, Mini, probably one of the best songs from this "Future s*it" along with Tilt... absolutely love this song and I was very very very happy to hear it in person.

Old 07-21-2005, 07:52 PM   #4
Quiet CD
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Re: Re: San Francisco Nights 1 and 2

Quote:
Originally posted by transluscent

he didn't play Tilt if that was what you thought I implied, I think Billy wont ever play that song.

Old 07-21-2005, 07:57 PM   #5
ammy
yer mom

Cool

hey now. EVERYONE knows who Ammy and Dan are!

wait.
no.
wrong board...

Old 07-21-2005, 08:00 PM   #6
Quiet CD
Apocalyptic Poster

i wrote this for another board, i should have taken that out... d'oh!

Old 07-21-2005, 08:04 PM   #7
TheEdgeboy
Banned

sorry i missed it. i always love hanging with cali-netphorians cuz we rock and share a kindred dementia. i thinks its the earthquakes.

Old 07-21-2005, 08:08 PM   #8
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!
Wink

Mel's diner is gross, dawg! nice write up though

Old 07-21-2005, 08:28 PM   #9
Quiet CD
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerome
Mel's diner is gross, dawg! nice write up though
Werd, the smoothie however was not

Old 07-22-2005, 01:26 AM   #10
ava transformer
Apocalyptic Poster

here are some pics from friday & saturday
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00822.jpg (121.2 KB, 39 views)

Old 07-22-2005, 01:29 AM   #11
ava transformer
Apocalyptic Poster

billy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00825.jpg (162.4 KB, 38 views)

Old 07-22-2005, 01:30 AM   #12
ava transformer
Apocalyptic Poster

another pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00831.jpg (133.5 KB, 34 views)

Old 07-22-2005, 01:33 AM   #13
ava transformer
Apocalyptic Poster

and another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00849.jpg (96.7 KB, 35 views)

Old 07-22-2005, 01:35 AM   #14
ava transformer
Apocalyptic Poster

linda
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00856.jpg (118.4 KB, 39 views)

Old 07-22-2005, 02:26 AM   #15
No. 13 Baby
Pledge

couldn't have said it better. nice review.

Ava Transformer nice Pics

Old 07-22-2005, 02:40 AM   #16
MMBKG
Ownz

Quote:
Can't remember if it was the first night or the second night, but some idiot in the crowd was shouting for Billy Corgan, so the singer of Doris Henson introduced the Band and said "We are Billy Corgan". Hysterical.
After the show in NY, I went to the lobby and bought the CD from him, he signed it and everything. Funny fucking guy, and that band rocks.

Old 07-25-2005, 03:56 AM   #17
Tribute2JohnnyB
Apocalyptic Poster

nice pics Monet.
my one small regret was not bringing a cam.

Last edited by Tribute2JohnnyB : 07-25-2005 at 04:03 AM.

Old 07-25-2005, 03:58 AM   #18
Tribute2JohnnyB
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I see ***** (and wife) and a few other people of Pumpkin Fan Past... Mike, Sam and Monet (along with myself) decide to the ditch the line for a little while and get a few drinks across the street at the Boom Boom Room. Had a pint of some red ale, then a redbull and vodka (a heart starter) and almost caught on fire because a stack of napkins behind me caught a spark from a nearby candle. Leave the Boom Boom, get back in line. Around 8 or so they start marching in the sheep. Instead of the original plan of hanging out in the balcony the first night and doing the floor the second night, i go right to the floor, get a spot behind the first row of people slightly to the right of Billy almost dead in front of Linda.
Hey.
I held Mike's damn jacket untill you guys got back form the Boom Boom room. I'm teh guy with the beard, long hair, glasses, striped earth toned shirt, brown cords and a friend of mine.

I was also front row center. at the show.