Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 10-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #61
Elphenor
Braindead

I really don't think it's necessary I've never flossed and the dentist always compliments my teeth QED

Old 10-02-2016, 05:10 PM   #62
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Well, you're young. You just wait.

Also, even *if* it didn't have any impact on my oral health, it would be worth doing just to get all the crud out from between my teeth.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:42 PM   #63
myosis
Minion of Satan

all i know is when i haven't flossed in weeks, then i do it and my gums bleed all over. when i do it more regularly they stop bleeding. so i take it as good to floss.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:54 PM   #64
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
I really don't think it's necessary I've never flossed and the dentist always compliments my teeth QED
damnit i hate people like this

Old 10-02-2016, 10:49 PM   #65
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
all i know is when i haven't flossed in weeks, then i do it and my gums bleed all over. when i do it more regularly they stop bleeding. so i take it as good to floss.
this is probably obvious but your gums build callouses like any other area of your skin. If you had braces, you probably remember them tearing up your mouth like crazy the first few weeks

Old 10-02-2016, 10:55 PM   #66
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
I get this, 100%. And the few people I've shared this with made me regret even bringing it up. When I think about dying and everything going black forever, I get a warm, fuzzy feeling that everything is going to be okay in the end. I'd hate to think there's some afterlife where this goes on forever.
Cool. Yeah, it's not even that I want to die or something. It's just good to know when I fuck up that it's not worth getting myself worked up. I still do it anyway, but when I can groove in the ultimate meaninglessness of life, I find that my labor (that is, the work of life) becomes more personal and that I'm making a choice in pursuing what I want to pursue, and not just gliding along in an attempt to get somewhere else.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:00 PM   #67
redbreegull

I actually haven't been to the dentist in 2 years fucking insurance

I will continue to floss because it only takes a fuckin minute and I would rather spend that little bit of time each day to do something which may be preventative than risk gum disease down the line. I didn't get any cavities for over a decade, and then about 4 years ago I started having a new cavity every time I went to the dentist, even though that was right around the time I gave up soda and sugary foods almost entirely. Getting older sucks. Anyway I don't think the FDA stopped recommending flossing though I could be wrong. I think aggregate data on flossing studies have shown weak correlation between flossing and reduced gingivitis and gum disease risk. However, the American Dental Association has stuck with their recommendation that flossing is good and has been shown to help maintain good oral health in combination with brushing.

Beyond that, bits of food stuck in your teeth feels very gross to me and I have a hard time believing it does not contribute to bad breath.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:31 PM   #68
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Turns out, it was the "Dietary Guidelines for Americans issued by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) and US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)" that removed flossing from its recommendations.

The truth of the matter appears to be more so that evidence supporting the practice is "weak, very unreliable," of "very low" quality, and carries "a moderate to large potential for bias" than any suggestion of its potential for harm.

This is what had originally brought the matter to my attention:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/...ectid=11686316

Old 10-03-2016, 12:09 AM   #69
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

what are 7 of your favorite smashing pumpkins songs?
what music that is not smashing pumpkins do you like the most recently?
do you prefer living in florida vs somewhere else?
in the last 7 days, how many days did you have breakfast?
have you watched the show Son of Zorn?

Old 10-03-2016, 08:56 AM   #70
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

7 fave sp songs: geek usa, tonight tonight, ruby, for martha, hello kitty kat, hummer, rocket
music: margot and the nuclear so and so's, twenty-one pilots (i know, fuck you their album is good), hozier
living: I like FL because of the weather and multiculturalism. The only other place I've lived is rural Louisiana and it sucked a lot. I will probably end up moving for grad school but I don't think I could move to a really whitebread, non-diverse place.
breakfast: 5. didn't today and didn't last tues cuz i had bloodwork. I usually eat breakfast and then late lunch and small later dinner
son of zorn: no. do you like it?

Last edited by reprise85 : 10-03-2016 at 05:21 PM.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:06 AM   #71
myosis
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Beyond that, bits of food stuck in your teeth feels very gross to me and I have a hard time believing it does not contribute to bad breath.
yeah, i don't have bad breath but also when i floss for the first time in a while then the stuff is kinda smelly.

dentist always says that gums shouldn't bleed easily. i associate bleeding with early gingivitis.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:37 PM   #72
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Elph you should floss, it's punk b/c all yur friends will c u flossin n b like

Why u floss in

You can proudly respond, F the system I care about my teeth n gums dummies

Old 10-03-2016, 08:32 PM   #73
Elphenor
Braindead

I do care about how my breath smells

Always make sure it's minty

I'm a Marxist not a hippy

Old 10-03-2016, 08:37 PM   #74
yo soy el mejor

so many marxists these days.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:42 PM   #75
yo soy el mejor

what are the last words you uttered?

when did you wake up this morning?

are you into the school groove yet?

what color are your bedsheets?

milk: whole, 2%, or skim?

where are you living now? same place with your cat?

what is your cat doing right now?

Old 10-03-2016, 10:25 PM   #76
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
Cool. Yeah, it's not even that I want to die or something. It's just good to know when I fuck up that it's not worth getting myself worked up. I still do it anyway, but when I can groove in the ultimate meaninglessness of life, I find that my labor (that is, the work of life) becomes more personal and that I'm making a choice in pursuing what I want to pursue, and not just gliding along in an attempt to get somewhere else.
Pretty much the same feeling here. I don't want to die, I want to live a long, healthy life. But it's easier knowing that all of my failures, insecurities, etc. will be washed away when I am gone.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:26 AM   #77
Elphenor
Braindead

Eternal nothingness is maddening to think about it's tragic humans can contemplate their own deaths

Old 10-04-2016, 06:29 AM   #78
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

I wonder what effect it has on society. On the one hand, existential depression. On the other, the drive to do things before one dies because this is your only chance.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:32 AM   #79
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

What's the best flavour of potato chips?

An evening of jazz music, or a whale watching excursion?

It's been a long day and it's raining, and you have the next two days off work. Tuna casserole or lasagna for supper?

Favourite perfume?

DC or Marvel?

Gin or vodka?

Human babies, or kittens?

Old 10-04-2016, 10:40 AM   #80
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Have you held anything of note in the last 24 hours?

Old 10-04-2016, 07:12 PM   #81
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
Eternal nothingness is maddening to think about it's tragic humans can contemplate their own deaths
I don't find it maddening. I believe that once I get there, I won't know. So it'll just be...nothing.

I can get why it drives a lot of people crazy thoug, but to be honest, the thought of an afterlife where I either A. have to hang out with all the dead people I one knew or B. burn forever for my sins is much, much worse to me.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #82
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

And that's why I floss.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:10 PM   #83
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
What's the best flavour of potato chips?
Some sort of cheddar and sour cream combo

Quote:
An evening of jazz music, or a whale watching excursion?
Jazz. I like Jazz and I get sea sick easily. Not a hard choice.

Quote:
It's been a long day and it's raining, and you have the next two days off work. Tuna casserole or lasagna for supper?
Fuck yeah, lasagna. I don't think I've ever had tuna casserole in my life and I don't intend to. I like tuna, but not in a casserole. I mean wtf?

Quote:
Favourite perfume?
Don't have one. I don't wear it and my sense of smell is pretty poor. I worry a lot about my body odor just because of my sense of smell.

Quote:
DC or Marvel?
DC and it's not even close.

Quote:
Gin or vodka?
I've only had Gin once and it was strange. Vodka tastes like shit but I've had it a lot more. I don't really drink though and I don't even know the last time I had hard liquor.

Quote:
Human babies, or kittens?
Human babies are shit and crying machines and I don't understand how anyone can love one unless they are the parents. That said, I think kittens overshadow the majesty of our adult furry cat friends. So basically I'm anti-baby of any species. I could psychoanalyze my self to why this is but I'll spare you.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:16 PM   #84
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
Have you held anything of note in the last 24 hours?
i dropped my phone in the toilet but no water got inside the case, somehow. it's not even listed as water resistant. not complaining. so i dropped something in the past 24 hours. into a toilet. well, it fell out of my pocket.

sorry i didn't answer your question but i hope the toilet phone anecdote makes up for it.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:29 PM   #85
redbreegull

casserole is a very unappealing word

Old 10-04-2016, 10:11 PM   #86
myosis
Minion of Satan

I held a casserole not 24 hours ago.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:41 PM   #87
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
i dropped my phone in the toilet but no water got inside the case, somehow. it's not even listed as water resistant. not complaining. so i dropped something in the past 24 hours. into a toilet. well, it fell out of my pocket.

sorry i didn't answer your question but i hope the toilet phone anecdote makes up for it.
Eek. Did you grab it back with your hands or did you fish the phone out using other means?

Bad question, I know. But now i'm curious.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:12 PM   #88
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Frequently soaking one's hands in toilet water is like protein shakes and lifting for the immune system.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:34 AM   #89
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
Eek. Did you grab it back with your hands or did you fish the phone out using other means?

Bad question, I know. But now i'm curious.
My hand. If I would have waited it would have ruined my phone. Luckily only pee in there. A good hand scrubbing was in order.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:01 AM   #90
yo soy el mejor

why did you skip my questions?