Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 09-29-2015, 01:45 PM   #31
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Sales numbers were much more readily available on the internet in the late 90's/early 2000's. You could look up sales numbers of just about any album. Now they've made so only people with certain business affiliations can get the numbers, and that's after paying a huge fee. I reckon they did that because of the decline in album sales. Artists PR people can still spin whatever story they want because the numbers aren't available to the public, "Taylor Swift has sold 20 million copies of her shitty 1989 album", when in reality the number is probably much lower.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:53 PM   #32
Jesus Cambodia
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by grape View Post
Also funny to hear Sweeney (talking about Billy Gibbons, but about a famous Billy nonetheless) talking about how guys that sell millions of records just lose touch and are obsessed with having a hit single and fear trying anything risky or less than obviously commercial. Sounds like the story of Mary Star of the Sea to me.
I thought it was really odd the way the Zwan fiasco was briefly mentioned and then just abruptly dropped with zero probing from Maron. He always asks follow up questions. I think that conversation ended on "It got weird". And then they just moved on to something else.

It kinda felt like they might have agreed beforehand not to go into that topic too much. It really had a "I've got nothing good to say, better to not say anything" feel to it.

Someone said something about how neat it would be if Billy was on WTF. Yeah right. I just don't think anyone is really interested in hearing Billy's BS for an hour+ long podcast at this point. His thoughts on the music industry might be thorough and even likely true, but they're still utterly irrelevant.

Just like his music, his recent interviews have been shallow and lacking depth or any meaningful insights. I suppose it would be interesting though if someone would ask him some challenging questions, like how fame totally fucked his mind.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:38 PM   #33
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Sales numbers were much more readily available on the internet in the late 90's/early 2000's. You could look up sales numbers of just about any album. Now they've made so only people with certain business affiliations can get the numbers, and that's after paying a huge fee. I reckon they did that because of the decline in album sales. Artists PR people can still spin whatever story they want because the numbers aren't available to the public, "Taylor Swift has sold 20 million copies of her shitty 1989 album", when in reality the number is probably much lower.
No you always had to pay a fuckton of money to get sales figure. Just to see the charts you needed a $350 a year subscription to Billboard.

I rekon you like to talk out of your ass about stuff you are far to young to know anything about.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:38 PM   #34
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Cambodia View Post
I thought it was really odd the way the Zwan fiasco was briefly mentioned and then just abruptly dropped with zero probing from Maron. He always asks follow up questions. I think that conversation ended on "It got weird". And then they just moved on to something else.

It kinda felt like they might have agreed beforehand not to go into that topic too much. It really had a "I've got nothing good to say, better to not say anything" feel to it.

Someone said something about how neat it would be if Billy was on WTF. Yeah right. I just don't think anyone is really interested in hearing Billy's BS for an hour+ long podcast at this point. His thoughts on the music industry might be thorough and even likely true, but they're still utterly irrelevant.

Just like his music, his recent interviews have been shallow and lacking depth or any meaningful insights. I suppose it would be interesting though if someone would ask him some challenging questions, like how fame totally fucked his mind.
Not having actually heard the interview (definitely want to in the near-future though) I just think it goes to show how little the general public cares about Corgan outside of his role in Smashing Pumpkins at their height. We have countless stories of Billy being an asshole. Maron probably found Sweeney's other collaborations more interesting.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:22 PM   #35
vajohna
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Cambodia View Post
I thought it was really odd the way the Zwan fiasco was briefly mentioned and then just abruptly dropped with zero probing from Maron.
Maron didn't seem interested in Corgan, really. Whatever body language was being displayed while that conversation was going on isn't visible, but Maron just didn't seem that into Corgan as a topic of conversation.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:29 PM   #36
slunken
Virgo

and to be honest, why would he be

Old 10-06-2015, 12:46 AM   #37
SPLATTER
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
and to be honest, why would he be
Maron did tweet at billy less than a year ago inviting him on WTF