Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2014, 05:28 AM   #1
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Default System Of A Down's John Dolmayan Talks Playing With Corgan In 2009

Long story short: he didn't enjoy it and thinks original Pumpkins should reunite.

http://www.alternativenation.net/?p=49566

Old 06-25-2014, 05:40 AM   #2
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

http://i60.tinypic.com/2usk7b8.jpg
Billy Corgan and John Dolmayan in 2009.

About 5 years ago you played with Billy Corgan for a time, and there was a lot of talk that you might join The Smashing Pumpkins. What was it like playing with Billy, and why don’t you think it worked out?

I don’t really know. I think it was Rick Rubin that called me, and said Billy needed a drummer. So I said, ‘Okay, well he had one of the best drummers over the last 30 years, why would he need a drummer?’ But I said, ‘Okay I’ll give it a shot, I’ll go in.’ I hadn’t even really been playing that much at the time, but I do respect Billy, and I respect The Smashing Pumpkins. So I said let me go give it a shot, maybe we can create something new that isn’t Smashing Pumpkins, and develop something out of that. When I went into the studio I was a little shocked, but there was almost like a cattle call of drummers. There were other drummers, you had multiple studios. It wasn’t exactly what I had envisioned, I don’t work that way. I have to have a one on one interaction with the songwriter, I have to hear where he’s going with the songs, so I can craft something that is tailor made for those songs, to the best of my ability. So it wasn’t the ideal situation, I don’t know if that was a misinterpretation from my end, or what it was. But it wasn’t exactly a positive experience for me, we played for a total of maybe a couple of minutes, and then that was it. He went with somebody else, I never heard the other kid play but I understand he’s a very good drummer.

[Billy] fired him just a week or two ago, actually.

Well, it is what it is. I think Billy should probably get Smashing Pumpkins back together with its original members, and put aside whatever problems he’s got with them. Because that was really when he was at his best, and they were a great band. That’s the advice I would give him if he called me today and asked me to play for him.

Yeah, Jimmy’s a great drummer.

Yeah, you can’t get better than that guy. I’m a good drummer, he’s a good drummer, we’re very different. But he’s the best drummer for Smashing Pumpkins.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:05 AM   #3
DaveKShape
Ownz

Corgan should take notes from this dude as far as how to stay classy in interviews.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #4
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

is weilandfan the one who brings up John Dolmayan every few months or so?

or am I confusing him with whomever keeps bringing up Bucket Head?

Old 06-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #5
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Sounds about the same as Juan Alderete's experience auditioning for Zwan.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Interesting.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

now, weilandfan, that's a name no one would self-apply where i come from

Old 06-25-2014, 05:26 PM   #8
Ram27
dumb

Is that Jimmy's kit from the Zeitgeist tour missing the low rack tom?

Old 06-25-2014, 07:43 PM   #9
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

What a relief, imagine being part of TGBK

Old 06-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #10
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

even pros agree, jimmy is a fucking bawse

Old 06-25-2014, 08:48 PM   #11
Order 66
Socialphobic

i agree.. those four should just put aside differences and reunite. how hard could it be

Old 06-25-2014, 10:43 PM   #12
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

Pretty disrespectful by Billy to have him roll in like that. Dude is an established, pro musician and was right to assume that he was being invited to a jam session and not a fucking open tryout.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:38 PM   #13
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
Is that Jimmy's kit from the Zeitgeist tour missing the low rack tom?
No

Old 06-26-2014, 02:53 PM   #14
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Couch Ass View Post
Pretty disrespectful by Billy to have him roll in like that. Dude is an established, pro musician and was right to assume that he was being invited to a jam session and not a fucking open tryout.
Billy can burn bridges that weren't even built

Old 06-26-2014, 02:56 PM   #15
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

The more I think about it, the more it seems like this interview pretty much establishes what went wrong with the "Byrne Era." With Dolmayan you had a professional musician who seemed interested in "starting over" with Smashing Pumpkins, building from the ground up, and making something new and exciting. Instead, Billy chooses a 19 year old who can kinda play like Jimmy Chamberlin.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:43 PM   #16
Order 66
Socialphobic

he likes em young dumb and full o cum

Old 06-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #17
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
The more I think about it, the more it seems like this interview pretty much establishes what went wrong with the "Byrne Era." With Dolmayan you had a professional musician who seemed interested in "starting over" with Smashing Pumpkins, building from the ground up, and making something new and exciting. Instead, Billy chooses a 19 year old who can kinda play like Jimmy Chamberlin.
This. At least I think Billy is trying something like this now with Tommy Lee. Would rather have heard Dolmayan - but whatevs. It's [progress]

Old 06-26-2014, 11:53 PM   #18
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:

But it wasn’t exactly a positive experience for me, we played for a total of maybe a couple of minutes, and then that was it.

wow. no wonder. I think Billy saw too big an aura and negged him out immediately.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:19 AM   #19
T&T
Socialphobic

saw a man he couldn't control, a man who wanted to get in the boat and have a paddle of his own, a man who knows enough of the industry to demand a decent paycheck, a man who would tell him 'no'.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:21 AM   #20
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
like some kind of cattle call.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:21 AM   #21
Trotskilicious
Banned

please, everyone, come bask in how great i am and fantasize about the privilege of playing drums for me, glorious me

Old 06-27-2014, 04:37 AM   #22
fuzzyroes
Banned

Musta been kinda awkward for Dolmayan. Guys had more success and relevance than Corgans had in years and he shows up at some cattle call, jams for 2 minutes and gets dismissed.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:09 PM   #23
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

he should write a song about it

Old 06-28-2014, 02:54 AM   #24
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

WHY DO THEY ALWAYS SEND THE POOR!?!?

Old 07-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #25
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Probably it was Rubin's idea and so Billy did the minimum to go alone with it, a token effort. Pretty shit way for a grown man to behave tbh.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #26
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
You know, you can make drums on your computer sound just like a real drummer. 99.9% of people would never know, even other drummers. Most modern drums have samples laid in behind or on top of the original drums anyway (or replaced altogether), so what's the difference? It's tedious work, but Billy should just do it himself with the mouse. He would be much happier.

The problem with this is Billys not a drummer and doesn't think like a drummer. There are tons of stories about Jimmy pointing how Billy would just totally miss opportunities and Jimmy would add stuff and fix stuff for him.

That Jimmy version of Adore that everyone talks endlessly about was really just this, it was Jimmy playing Adore with Billy and point all the fuck ups and miss opportunities with the drums and timing.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:37 PM   #27
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
The problem with this is Billys not a drummer and doesn't think like a drummer.
I've always suspected this is part of why they got along so well too. Billy was just unable to nitpick it or direct it. Mutual respect.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #28
T&T
Socialphobic

i'm sure billy couldn't help himself from neging all the musicians he plays with, jimmy was probably one of the few who he couldn't get under their skin. He probably schooled mike all the time, and mike took it instead of being a man. Drums under the tutelage of billy leads to the kind of drummer mike was in SP.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #29
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
I've always suspected this is part of why they got along so well too. Billy was just unable to nitpick it or direct it. Mutual respect.
They both tell stories where Billy would be struggling with something, tempo change, different time signature... And Jimmy would sit down and without even thinking about it solve the problem and leave Billy speechless.