Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #151
noyen
Immortal

attention is so lame its like all the attention is in one place but like HELLO ATTENTION OVER HERE.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:24 PM   #152
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

...how exactly do you think bands got hype before the Internet, fuzz?

Old 09-06-2015, 07:08 AM   #153
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
this is one of those discussions where you realize haters never listened to the band at all, theyre just sick of seven nation army
i've listened to all of their albums at least once

i consider myself a fan but i always looked at them as the samiest band i was into, not even in a neccesarily critical way or anything just kind of matter of fact - & it wasn't particularly negative cos i liked most of it & there were enough little variations in the tracks to not really care

on an album to album basis though, if w.s. don't fit that criteria then... who does?

Old 09-06-2015, 07:20 AM   #154
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
Listen to de stijl and icky thump and tell me they are identical
i already made this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
there was somethin changing slightly on every record which made somethin like elephant noticeably different from the self-titled
i never claimed all their albums were exactly the same, just that of all the bands i can think of having been a fan of, from beginning to end white stripes changed the least. if you guys want to take that as some damning criticism, alright i guess; kind of strange to see this disputed after one of my own personal favorites from the 90s was just arbitrarily shit on with a bunch of thin-air "facts" but alright

Old 09-06-2015, 07:24 AM   #155
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

how old are you now any-way!

Old 09-06-2015, 01:25 PM   #156
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
i will concede i like that nyc song still but after seeing them live a few times its like definition of studio band black magic trickery.
what? this is weird to me. Interpol, at least as of 8 years ago, was a fantastic live band even though they were already on their third album which was shit

Old 09-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #157
noyen
Immortal

i saw them on curisoa tour and then again last november. its just my opinion and i don't find it weird to myself at all. i dunno what more i'm supposed to say, as my intention of sharing that opinion was not to seek approval of it, or to put down anyone elses love for them, live or otherwise.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #158
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Well I have no idea what they are like these days, but I don't think what I said implies I have any sort of problem with your opinion. Simply an observation as to the curiously disparate natures of our mutual opinions.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:01 PM   #159
noyen
Immortal

i think their first album is amazing really. hearing it played live though soon after i thought id been hustled. it is weird to love a band on record and then see, maybe it was off nights for them or a terrible engineer, but i was blown away with how they couldn't play. id love to blame the aound guy but the initial time seeing em and then seeing them even more up close a decade later and it being worse sorts made me form the opinion theyre a studio band helped by whatever facade that environment helped them to create. that first record sounds great. illusions and facades to me, but i mean, its still great to listen to on record. i would just never wate time seeing them live again.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:05 PM   #160
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
...how exactly do you think bands got hype before the Internet, fuzz?
You're right, it's kind of the same shit. But all of the hipsters look to these blogger artists and think they've really stumbled on something original and unique when in reality it's of the equivalence of how a major label operates... Only difference is a major labels surely work(ed) a lot harder to make sure they find something special as they have to make sure to make money whereas the bearded blogger guys have nothing to lose.

Sure, nowadays it's just a watered down mess as very little people actually buy music anymore. But I find it hilarious that you compare the blogger shit to the pre-internet record labels.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 09-06-2015 at 07:10 PM.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:16 PM   #161
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

But back in the day, record labels would sign a band, and then throw thousands of dollars at music magazines and music TV shows and radio stations to get them to push that band so they could make their investment back. They were literally buying hype for whichever band they wanted to be successful. I find it monumentally short-sighted of you to believe that prior to the Internet bands only got hype by being good bands, and that now the opposite is true and everyone clamours over bands that aren't good that they all pretend to like for... Some reason you've never managed to explain?

Old 09-06-2015, 07:20 PM   #162
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

The idea that people all collectively pretend to enjoy something that is obviously crap because they're all keen to look cool in front of one another is just laughable. Why don't you just acknowledge that you don't understand modern music? You're out of touch, man. Don't construct some elaborate cultural conspiracy to try to make it seem like you're the only person smart enough to enjoy "real" music and everyone else has lost their minds, because that's a straight up childish behaviour.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:23 PM   #163
fuzzyroes
Banned

I think the concert sales speak for themselves. Pitchfork raved for years about how Lana Del-Ray was like the 2nd coming of Christ yet she's still playing shitty little clubs around North-America.

A main difference in your argument is that record labels made the majority of the money coming back from every album sale, so it was in their interest to try and hype a band up... But these hipsters are under the impression that these bloggers operate in an organic fashion... I'm not sure of the fnancial structure regarding how these "blogs" work.. But it surely reeks of bullshit.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:25 PM   #164
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
The idea that people all collectively pretend to enjoy something that is obviously crap because they're all keen to look cool in front of one another is just laughable. Why don't you just acknowledge that you don't understand modern music? You're out of touch, man. Don't construct some elaborate cultural conspiracy to try to make it seem like you're the only person smart enough to enjoy "real" music and everyone else has lost their minds, because that's a straight up childish behaviour.
again, as I said, if I don't "understand" modern music then why aren't any of these artists able to play anywhere aside from shit clubs only played by local bands and washed up hasbeens?

Old 09-06-2015, 07:27 PM   #165
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

I don't know where you're getting this idea from that all of these people have no idea that online publications take kickbacks from labels, and I also don't get why you think it was more justifiable for a major label to buy coverage from rolling stone than it is for them to buy coverage from pitchfork? It's literally the same thing.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:29 PM   #166
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
again, as I said, if I don't "understand" modern music then why aren't any of these artists able to play anywhere aside from shit clubs only played by local bands and washed up hasbeens?
Ohhhh, so the reason that the music industry isn't as profitable as it was in the 70s has nothing to do with the fact that almost all the music ever recorded can be quickly and easily pirated? It's just because HIPSTER BANDS ALL SUCK AND NOBODY ACTUALLY LIKES THEM

God you are such an idiot it's staggering.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #167
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Endless_Summer_Tour

Btw - Lana Del Ray's American tour dates - do you call Red Rocks And the Hollywood Bowl tiny little shitty clubs?

Old 09-06-2015, 07:34 PM   #168
fuzzyroes
Banned

that's the thing. Blogs are just 2ndrate versions of rags like Rolling Stone... It's the bottom feeder shit and they try and operate under the aesthetic that they're on the "cutting edge of whats hip" but really, if someone forks them over enough money they'll spew out whatever bullshit you want them to. It's how people with very mild talent like Lana Del Ray, Das Racist, Foster the people get godlike reviews.

The thing is, if a fad works well enough to get an indie label 50 000 record sales then they're rolling in money... Major labels have higher expectations, thus they can't bother wasting their time hyping some talentless hacks.

Don't get me wrong, I think the major label shit nowadays is just as brutal... But it's 2 turds in the same punch-bowl really.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:36 PM   #169
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Endless_Summer_Tour

Btw - Lana Del Ray's American tour dates - do you call Red Rocks And the Hollywood Bowl tiny little shitty clubs?
She's touring with Courtney Love you numbskull... As much as you might downplay CL's success, she's still hugely famous, and has grown in legend over the years due to the Nirvana mythology among young music fans.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:37 PM   #170
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Do you seriously think that the quality of a band correlates directly to record sales, and so that therefore major labels only sign the best bands so they can generate the highest profit?? Is that really what you're saying?

Old 09-06-2015, 07:38 PM   #171
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
She's touring with Courtney Love you numbskull... As much as you might downplay CL's success, she's still hugely famous, and has grown in legend over the years due to the Nirvana mythology among young music fans.
LOVE WAS THE OPENING ACT YOU FUCKING PHILISTINE

Old 09-06-2015, 07:40 PM   #172
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

You are ascribing the qualities of integrity and interest in making good art to the massive corporations that just want to make a profit. What the fuck?

Old 09-06-2015, 07:42 PM   #173
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Do you seriously think that the quality of a band correlates directly to record sales, and so that therefore major labels only sign the best bands so they can generate the highest profit?? Is that really what you're saying?
That's how it worked in large instances in the past... Of course that method of thought is now obsolete. My point was that I found it funny that you compared the record companies of the past to the bloggers of today.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:44 PM   #174
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
LOVE WAS THE OPENING ACT YOU FUCKING PHILISTINE
It was a co-headlining tour ya mouth breather. Sure C-love played first, but "Del-Ray" never plays those kind of venues touring on her own, just as SP doesn't sell the kinda tickets they did on their summer tour without Manson on the bill.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:46 PM   #175
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
You are ascribing the qualities of integrity and interest in making good art to the massive corporations that just want to make a profit. What the fuck?
Ultimately the people are the ones that decide the fates of these bands. I've never seen pitchfork break any kind of cultural phenomenon. The bands they hype always have this initial amount of steam and promise and peter out in predictable fashion. It's hilarious really.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:46 PM   #176
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
That's how it worked in large instances in the past... Of course that method of thought is now obsolete. My point was that I found it funny that you compared the record companies of the past to the bloggers of today.
I never compared those two things. I compared labels of the past to labels today, and I compared magazines to blogs. Blogs aren't labels. Blogs don't sign bands. Blogs review bands, just like a magazine. You fucking idiot.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:48 PM   #177
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
This makes about as much sense as "Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?"

Old 09-06-2015, 07:48 PM   #178
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Ultimately the people are the ones that decide the fates of these bands. I've never seen pitchfork break any kind of cultural phenomenon. The bands they hype always have this initial amount of steam and promise and peter out in predictable fashion. It's hilarious really.
Name one band that has existed in the last 15 years that you would identify as "cultural phenomenon" big.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:49 PM   #179
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

And what makes you think being "global phenomenon" big is in any way correlative with being a good band?

Old 09-06-2015, 07:50 PM   #180
Shallowed
Braindead

So if something something something is a thing, then how come something else completely unrelated is a thing?

Checkmate, hipsters.