Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2014, 06:09 PM   #61
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I own every Weird Al release up until poodle hat, get on MY fucking level posers

Old 07-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #62
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

I have absolutely no memory of what my first mp3 or full digital record was....

I do remember though that one of the first thing i did on napster was looking up Cure Rarities and bsides. so i suppose the first song was one of these.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:43 PM   #63
redbreegull

The first album I downloaded was Murmur by R.E.M. and that was in 2009. I was real late on the stealing music on the internet train.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #64
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Almost everyone in this thread got their first albums on cassette or CD.
I feel old, get off my lawn.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #65
noyen
Immortal

yeah you are fucking old if you were born between 1888 and 1965 and had a turntable as a baby and the capacity to use it. dig a ditch in the lawn.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #66
Andy /

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I own every Weird Al release up until poodle hat, get on MY fucking level posers
get to steppin', chump. i have every album. even the peter and the wolf with wendy carlos. new one out in a couple weeks.

you never forget your first.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #67
D.
Consume my pants.

My very first was "Mary Had a Little Lamb" on tinfoil.

I'm OLD

Old 07-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #68
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
My very first was "Mary Had a Little Lamb" on tinfoil.

I'm OLD
I meant ancient, like really late to other formats. We didn't have a cassette deck at home until '89.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #69
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySlash View Post
get to steppin', chump. i have every album. even the peter and the wolf with wendy carlos. new one out in a couple weeks.

you never forget your first.
yeah in 8th grade I started to get into "serious" music and that was that. I remember having buyer's remorse after getting poodle hat because it wasn't as good as running with scissors or bad hair day and kind of realizing I might have outgrown Al.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #70
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
I meant ancient, like really late to other formats. We didn't have a cassette deck at home until '89.
I didn't have a CD played until like 1998.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:42 AM   #71
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
yeah you are fucking old if you were born between 1888 and 1965 and had a turntable as a baby and the capacity to use it. dig a ditch in the lawn.
come to think of it though..........I suppose the first recordings I owned were vinyls...we had a mickey mouse turntable. It would only play 7 inches. Someone gave us loads of 7 inches they didn't want anymore. but i was very young and the only tune I remember playing on it was Bay City Rollers' Saturday Night. I still like this song I don't care who knows it. That's called catchy right there.

anyway doesn't count since I didn't buy them....

but yeah I don't know by the mid 80s most people I knew bought cassettes, not vinyls.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:53 AM   #72
redbreegull

IIRC this dude wrote and composed all the music himself, no record company bullshit

Old 07-02-2014, 04:35 AM   #73
noyen
Immortal

its vinyl. no s. ever.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:38 AM   #74
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

there's nothing wrong with letting other people help make good music

Old 07-02-2014, 04:41 AM   #75
noyen
Immortal

record companies write and compose the music. I am in hell.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #76
Mo
Immortal

The first record I ever got was a German version of Peter And The Wolf, with a Sonata by Mozart Sr. on the B-Side.
The first record I ever bought was Aerosmith's I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing single.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #77
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
its vinyl. no s. ever.
oh. I didn't realize that. i'll blame it on second language as I usually do when someone points out a grammatical mistake.

Last edited by The exploding boy : 07-02-2014 at 01:21 PM.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:19 PM   #78
Xteenmachine
Ownz

the earliest thing i can remember is a mix-tape my dad bought from some guy in freetown. i don't remember much about it except that it had 19 by paul hardcastle, which i loved. the first albums bought for me were michael jackson's off the wall, and bad. my sister accidentally melted the off the wall cassette so i didn't get to hear it in its entirety till much, much later. the first singles i bought were swv's i'm so into you, and i got a man by positive k. the first album i bought was original gangster by ice-t, but this was many years after it came out. i'd already heard it and probably owned it too at one point, but i had a gift voucher from hmv and had no idea what to get so i used it to get that... again. that was kind of the start of my getting into music: realizing that i liked music but hadn't developed any sort of taste apart from early 90s yo! mtv raps stuff, which, by then, even i had lost interest in. the album i bought after that was garbage's self-titled.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #79
Skradgee
Boardcaster

It was either the Ghostbusters OST, or Sesame Street: Exercise!

Old 07-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #80
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
oh. I didn't realize that. i'll blame it on second language as I usually do when someone points out a grammatical mistake.
Sharing is caring. That's what assholes on the internet like me are for.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #81
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

It's a bullshit defense though because at this point I write better English than French. And that's not even a lie. I make tons more mistakes in French now.

Though.... the S thing... like I used to say cereals or hairs (as in my hair, on my head) for years. in French if there's many there's always an s (or x) so this always confuses me when some words aren't pluralized. though I suppose technically one should say vinyl records

Old 07-02-2014, 06:48 PM   #82
redbreegull

yeah in english we have nonsensical shit like collective nouns and uncountables and stuff

Old 07-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #83
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
yeah in english we have nonsensical shit like collective nouns and uncountables and stuff

Trust me though in a war of nonsensical grammatical rules, French will win every time over English. That's why I like English better. It's a more well thought out language, more elegant, just complex enough but without too much unnecessary bullshit. I can't write three sentences in French without making at least one mistake and that's all I spoke or wrote until I was like 20 (well no....we had some english classes but you don't learn English that way, proof being that no one in my family speaks English..but I mean I didn't communicate with anyone in English before then)

French language is regulated by a bunch of academic twats at the Academie de la Langue Francaise and it seems their goal has always been to make the language complicated for non speakers. And probably trying to prevent people who didn't finish high school from writing properly. While in English you're reading literature in Hs, We're still learning grammatical rules in grade 12.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:55 PM   #84
bignothing
Demi-God

French dude I'm crushing on speaks terrible English, it's pretty funny. My spoken French isn't great, but I like to think my grammar is mostly ok. I get texts from French people with some really basic grammatical mistakes though... Why would passé composé be hard? I don't understand. I think most of my mistakes come from gendered nouns that I assume will be the same gender in Portuguese and in French and when they're not I'm like... Why? Anyway, teb, what you're mentioning is a problem in all romance languages... And even then we have it easy, certainly not the hardest languages to learn.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:12 PM   #85
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

No, for certain they aren't.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:24 PM   #86
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignothing View Post
French dude I'm crushing on speaks terrible English, it's pretty funny. My spoken French isn't great, but I like to think my grammar is mostly ok. I get texts from French people with some really basic grammatical mistakes though... Why would passé composé be hard? I don't understand. I think most of my mistakes come from gendered nouns that I assume will be the same gender in Portuguese and in French and when they're not I'm like... Why? Anyway, teb, what you're mentioning is a problem in all romance languages... And even then we have it easy, certainly not the hardest languages to learn.
i assume you speak portugese, and great english...how many languages do you speak?

bonus question: Do you know of Tiago Splitter, and how great he is?

Old 07-04-2014, 02:14 AM   #87
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Talking

Quote:
its vinyl. no s. ever.
SAME WITH LEGO, 'MERICA!

Old 07-04-2014, 02:15 AM   #88
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xteenmachine View Post
the earliest thing i can remember is a mix-tape my dad bought from some guy in freetown. i don't remember much about it except that it had 19 by paul hardcastle, which i loved..
I think that was my second 7".

Fo sho.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:32 AM   #89
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

I kinda meant that you bought yourself though. Well...or with your parents money but that you went, I want this record.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:20 AM   #90
Cool As Ice Cream

too late for that now
bad luck
wah wah wah
boo fucking hoo
don't tell me what to do