corporate suburbia eludes me

Old 05-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #212
slunken
Virgo

the calander is marked

Old 05-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #213
Elphenor
Braindead

That's really weird and kind of useless.
The hire test works because you don't know exactly when you're gonna get tested not knowing if they're gonna hire you.
But if you know it's 90 days away...

Old 05-07-2014, 07:58 PM   #214
slunken
Virgo

i even talked to the front desk lately in a kind of sideways manner -

i am a full time employee and i did get hired. its not like after 90s days they're going to be like "sorry its not working". also i'm the first employee under the new management subject to this so no one else knows what i'm talking about. everyone else smokes hardcore and always has.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #215
slunken
Virgo

just trying to wrap my brain around the corporate suburbia.

after 90 days i'm also eligible for insurance and all those dope bennies.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:01 PM   #216
slunken
Virgo

but seriously - why hire an addict for 90 days, want to hire him/her, and then have them fail a drug test only to kiss them goodbye. i just don't get it.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:01 PM   #217
Elphenor
Braindead

It's fucked that the only thing that's hard to get out of your system is weed, the weakest thing you can get fired for.

You could have been doing heroin a week before and it probably won't show up on a urine test.
But if you smoked a couple joints shit will be in your fat cells for at least a month.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:01 PM   #218
slunken
Virgo

i mean wouldn't you want to get that sort of thing out of the way from the get-go?

Old 05-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #219
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
It's fucked that the only thing that's hard to get out of your system is weed, the weakest thing you can get fired for.

You could have been doing heroin a week before and it probably won't show up on a urine test.
But if you smoked a couple joints shit will be in your fat cells for at least a month.
yea obviously politics and one love and etc

Old 05-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #220
Elphenor
Braindead

Drug tests are funny to begin with.

I've never heard anyone call in hung over from anything but the one thing they don't test for.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #221
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
after 90 days i'm also eligible for insurance
It should be on the first day of the calendar month after your first month or so of employment, so they are dicking you already

office places like to dick you slow so you don't notice it

it's not the gangland dicking you get at restaraunts about walked tabs and garnished paychecks and stuff

Old 05-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #222
Trotskilicious
Banned

it's more like they take advantage of the fact that people think its "polite" not to talk about their salary, that way nobody says anything about how mid level management is on terrible salaries

waiters have this strange necessity to talk about how many bills they made that day

and then they have parties and shit to make you believe maybe this place isn't fucking horrible and the CEOs aren't deliberately taking advantage of us to increase their profit margin

Old 05-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #223
slunken
Virgo

meanwhile i just drink more and more

work. booze. work. booze.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:08 PM   #224
Elphenor
Braindead

Lol. That reminds me of all the worker rights violations Mcd has. And health and safety as well.
Wish I had had the balls to whistleblow that stuff

Old 05-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #225
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
It should be on the first day of the calendar month after your first month or so of employment, so they are dicking you already
i started work on the day or two before a new calendar month so i'm not worried about that. and i already asked about insurance stuff, like if i'm gonna get screwed for "signing up late"

Old 05-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #226
Trotskilicious
Banned

so i guess the drug test after 90 days is to make sure that they don't waste money on your benefits?

i've noticed for-profits tend to have this thing against training, i've been thrown into a lot of situations in business where they don't give you any kind of training, mostly because they don't fucking care because whatever you do isn't exactly important enough to make sure you know how to do it. there's plenty of asslickers in this world that will bend over backwards to cater to an employer, and that's exactly the type of bootlick they are looking for

you know the type of deluded fuckstick that will go home and study and read shit during break and lunch (or not take them at all), since there's basically two and a half days of "training" or worse still "onboarding", so they can make sure they're working hard for their practically speaking minimum wage shitbrick office job and impress their retarded supervisor who is working 60 hours a week for 35k and has been deluded by corporate culture into thinking they are successful and being rewarded

Old 05-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #227
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
i started work on the day or two before a new calendar month
so lets say you started april 29

from what i understand it's standard practice to start your health insurance june 1

Old 05-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #228
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
it's more like they take advantage of the fact that people think its "polite" not to talk about their salary, that way nobody says anything about how mid level management is on terrible salaries
i al ways took this more as a gentlemanly thing but on my first paycheck boss lady/mom was like make sure no one sees it and i'm like wait a minute hold up

Old 05-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #229
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
so lets say you started april 29

from what i understand it's standard practice to start your health insurance june 1
it was april 31 so i'm looking at june 30 for all this benefits/testing/etc to be over with.

the difficult part like i said is that i have zero co-workers to discuss this with. i'm the first test subject.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #230
Elphenor
Braindead

Im Union now, but even then I'm scared to try to call anything out. My union rep is friends with one of my Supervisors and I just don't feel anything is actually anonymous like they say.

So if I start complaining Im likely to get fired if I screw up. I don't want that kind of attention.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #231
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
so i guess the drug test after 90 days is to make sure that they don't waste money on your benefits?

i've noticed for-profits tend to have this thing against training, i've been thrown into a lot of situations in business where they don't give you any kind of training, mostly because they don't fucking care because whatever you do isn't exactly important enough to make sure you know how to do it. there's plenty of asslickers in this world that will bend over backwards to cater to an employer, and that's exactly the type of bootlick they are looking for

you know the type of deluded fuckstick that will go home and study and read shit during break and lunch (or not take them at all), since there's basically two and a half days of "training" or worse still "onboarding", so they can make sure they're working hard for their practically speaking minimum wage shitbrick office job and impress their retarded supervisor who is working 60 hours a week for 35k and has been deluded by corporate culture into thinking they are successful and being rewarded
this actually makes a lot of sense. they seem to hire a lot of temps that have no clue what they're doing and if they don't catch on they ditch them. if they do, then great.

but like i mentioned i was hired outside of this whole process. i'm the lone test subject so i just assume i'm doing fine.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #232
Trotskilicious
Banned

it's why i realized i'd never make it in business, too much of a communist who can see the strings

temps are the waitstaff of the office world. yeah they "onboard" them in a couple hours and won't think twice about firing them. in fact, hiring temps is rather expensive. It's kind of like legal slavery, where you "buy" this person's contract from its "owner." A contract that the temp has never seen or been involved in negotiating. The successful purchase of this temp contract also does not really enrich the temp in any way, other than providing permanent employment for usually the same wages (or the precious 50 cent raise! OMGZ!) and i guess benefits which you end up paying for anyway.

i've been through a few temp-to-hire turnstiles like that. usually it's some kind of vulture capital business like "asset management" aka a business devoted to managing from afar the maintenance of foreclosed properties on behalf of big bank clients.

i am now working for a non-profit.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #233
Elphenor
Braindead

What a communist

Old 05-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #234
slunken
Virgo

their starting wage was only a couple bucks lower than my asking minimum but they assured me that after the proper amount of time (within a year) that it woudln't be a problem getting to that level.

which was the only reason i signed on/agreed to work.

idk this whole 90 days thing just weirds me out becaue like i said i'm the only direct hire and i've seen a lot of temps (and temps that were supposed to be hired) come and go in only the month i've been there. there are 5 upper level positions and i hold one of those. under that there are 15 lower posotions that temps would feel.

like i've mentioned before - i just have no one to talk to about this corporate process and i'm the first person under the new ruling. part of me has a strong feeling that come end of june i won't even be tested at all.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #235
Trotskilicious
Banned

I have a rule, if you can't explain what your job is in a sentence, and TWO at the VERY most, then you doing something that is entirely unnecessary to the world at large and is more than likely something created to make someone else a little money

Old 05-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #236
slunken
Virgo

i accidentally walked into what i thought was a real job interview one time and then found out it was a temp thing. i walked promptly out. fuck you very much.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #237
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
their starting wage was only a couple bucks lower than my asking minimum but they assured me that after the proper amount of time (within a year) that it woudln't be a problem getting to that level.

which was the only reason i signed on/agreed to work.
talk to your peers there and see if that is a lie

usually it's a lie

the precious raises are doled out to the bootlicks that give way too much for far too little

Old 05-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #238
slunken
Virgo

btw i'm printmaking again

Old 05-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #239
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
i accidentally walked into what i thought was a real job interview one time and then found out it was a temp thing. i walked promptly out. fuck you very much.
yeah they do this on craigslist all the time, they post something about a job and then you apply and you show up and it's a shitty temp agency and then they don't bother with giving you the job they advertised for

i worked for a temp agency that would drug test you every time they had a job for you

i told them to eat shit

Old 05-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #240
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
talk to your peers there and see if that is a lie

usually it's a lie

the precious raises are doled out to the bootlicks that give way too much for far too little
agree. been working on that. i try to be subtle. read too many private eye novels or something. there's really only 2 guys i would feel comfortable asking. some of the other guys on my level have been there a real long time. in fact all have been there over 3 years.