Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2007, 06:40 PM   #301
Steve Holt
Demi-God

i don't really care that people are bitching about singles. it just astounds me that there are that many people who are that fucking stupid (delusional?) to think that they were going to avoid singles as much as possible.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:40 PM   #302
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp
i bet i feel as sorry for you as you feel sorry for me

i just wish everyone could enjoy it

this is a serious post; i am not trying to be a smartass

i mean goddamn, i saw them on 12/2/00 and i NEVER THOUGHT i would see billy and jimmy perform old sp songs again...i thought i was listening to the last rocket, silverfuck, etc but i was wrong

and it's SEVEN YEARS LATER and now we get to hear all these songs again in all their glory; this is reason to have a smile on your face, not be cresfallen
i was at 12/2/00. you know who i waited in line to be in front of? james. you know who i was in front of the whole time? james. you know who was the only person to give james a gift before the last show, right before billy was swarmed with teddy bears? me.

they ended on the right note. the songs, to me, are not in "all their glory." glory *******s james.

and i'm still pissed they didn't play soma at the last show! so hah.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:41 PM   #303
Nate the Grate
Minion of Satan

Wow, sounds like some of you have never been to a concert before. They played a ton of songs, and the setlist is incredibly varied for a band which such a vast catalog. Home? Winterlong? Annie-Dog? Untitled? Those were unexpected. Very promising setlist, and good to see that they played so many new songs, so we'll be able to "hear" the album before it leaks.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:41 PM   #304
SpFission
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the Grate
Wow, sounds like some of you have never been to a concert before. They played a ton of songs, and the setlist is incredibly varied for a band which such a vast catalog. Home? Winterlong? Annie-Dog? Untitled? Those were unexpected. Very promising setlist, and good to see that they played so many new songs, so we'll be able to "hear" the album before it leaks.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:43 PM   #305
paranoid
Minion of Satan

i remember reading somewere on this board that they were rehearsng 30 tunes for this tour... so this setlist is about 30 tunes.

I hope they play this exact setlist every night of this entire tour just to piss this board off. that would be aces.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:45 PM   #306
Effloresce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermcphilp
is this thread worth reading?
No.

Everyone is bitching about the setlist (to be expected) and Corgan's fashion sense (what were you people expecting him to do)

I specifically remember Corgan saying in a Pitchfork interview (in mid '05) that if SP came back, so would the dress most likely.

And the setlist is pretty damn good. No Gish, but that's my only real complaint.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:46 PM   #307
Reissdorf
Pledge

I'm quite satisfied with this setlist... it could use a tune or two off of Gish though.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:46 PM   #308
TheBigG753
Pledge

I guess no one here wants the Pumpkins to promote their new album at all...lol. They played close to 30 songs, that's not good enough? Should they have had a 20 hour show where they just played every song they could fit in there?

Old 05-22-2007, 06:47 PM   #309
SpFission
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid
i remember reading somewere on this board that they were rehearsng 30 tunes for this tour... so this setlist is about 30 tunes.

I hope they play this exact setlist every night of this entire tour just to piss this board off. that would be aces.
IMO that setlist was amazing. I don't know what these lame turds are all complaining about.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:48 PM   #310
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Really really happy to see hummer, home, shame and silverfuck on this list. Awesome!

Not so enthused about GATGC or winterlong, but we'll see how it sounds from the recording if there is one).

surprised about annie-dog, must be i ncluded to showcase the new pianist.

It's sweet to have muzzle and untitled.

can't wait to hear the new tunes.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:49 PM   #311
cyclonus5150
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by theghostchild
I have to agree...as a longtime fan and board member since 1997, under a previous name, the board did change...as Billy posted int eh Chicago Tribune in 2005...he wanted his songs back, etc, etc....so why not stop your bitching and be happy they are back and playing. I love to hear the b-sides, rarities, "non-commercial" hits just as much as the next die hard, but the fact of the matter is the majority of the people attending these shows, particularly the ones in larger venues, wouldn't know the difference if it were an old song or a new song off Zeitgeist. We should be happy, stop the bitching, and enjoy the fact that "our band" is back.
Here here. I too was an original board member but had to create a new screen name and I'm hoping that the fun will come back soon once everyone realizes what we've got....a second chance!

Old 05-22-2007, 06:49 PM   #312
jack_kerouac03
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_princess
i was at 12/2/00. you know who i waited in line to be in front of? james. you know who i was in front of the whole time? james. you know who was the only person to give james a gift before the last show, right before billy was swarmed with teddy bears? me.

they ended on the right note. the songs, to me, are not in "all their glory." glory *******s james.

and i'm still pissed they didn't play soma at the last show! so hah.
what did you give James?

Old 05-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #313
smashapumpkin
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpFission
IMO that setlist was amazing. I don't know what these lame turds are all complaining about.
agreed

Old 05-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #314
Duke
Demi-God

The setlist is amazing. I would love to have seen that show. It still feels weird the thought of the pumpkins without James. That will definitely take some time to get used to.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:57 PM   #315
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_kerouac03
what did you give James?

flowaz.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:57 PM   #316
theghostchild
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid

HAHAHAHAHA...That would be hilarious....I can here the small violins playing for many of you already!

Old 05-22-2007, 06:58 PM   #317
cneumeye
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySlash
Well, I know I would hope that the encores wouldn't be planned out ahead of time. I like it when bands cater to the moment and play things in the encore according to their whims as opposed to knowing even before the show starts what they'll be playing for a closer.

Being that this is the first show, it's fine, but I'd hope down the road this might change.
You are completely gullible and naive if you think that bands don't have their encores planned ahead of time.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:06 PM   #318
jack_kerouac03
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneumeye
You are completely gullible and naive if you think that bands don't have their encores planned ahead of time.
There are some bands that have been playing together for so long that they can whip out something they haven't played in a long time on a whim.

Unless Jeff and Ginger learn Starla really quick between encores, I think these are the songs we will see for a while until they eventually work in others.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:13 PM   #319
sweetanthony
Ownz

Songs that are important to this performance... (other than the whole thing, duh)

*HOME
*WINTERLONG
*(electric) 1979
*UNTITLED (oh, yes, finally live!)
*SHAME
*MUZZLE (electric, again)

Billy had to make the most of this concert and that's why he had them play so many classics (or singles to the obsessed who likes non-singles better for other reasons).

But these listed above shows that Billy and Jimmy are really ready to spread their creative wings at the Residencies... maybe not the Festivals, but when they have the time, they're going to branch off and we're going to see the pure brilliance of their musicianship.

I am 99.9% pleased with this setlist (no Soma or Ruby) and can't wait for the rest of the shows!

Old 05-22-2007, 07:15 PM   #320
polyethylene
Pledge

I have a feeling we won't hear Soma or Mayonaise again until James Iha comes back...if he ever comes back.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:15 PM   #321
somaziro
Ownz

i am so excited that they are playing 'home' - one of my fav. songs!

Old 05-22-2007, 07:18 PM   #322
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0qp94wN980

Old 05-22-2007, 07:20 PM   #323
drbenway
Demi-God

Regarding the conspicuous number of "hits" in the setlist:

This is the first time these songs have been played in seven years. Not everyone (including the band) is a pathetic fuck sitting at his or her computer listening over and over again to bootlegs from 2000. It's not like time stopped between then and now. I know it's hard to see beyond the borders of Netphoria, but life did go on, believe it or not. For most people (again, including the band), this is the first time these songs have been heard live in years.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:21 PM   #324
dudehitscar
Apocalyptic Poster

i really love the outfit without the cape

Old 05-22-2007, 07:21 PM   #325
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Say about James what you want but Soma and Mayonaise are two of the 5 best pumpkins songs.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:22 PM   #326
byoung88
Demi-God

dude keep em coming!

Old 05-22-2007, 07:22 PM   #327
dudehitscar
Apocalyptic Poster

For God and Country sounds GREAT

Old 05-22-2007, 07:22 PM   #328
shannon
Minion of Satan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj
Say about James what you want but Soma and Mayonaise are two of the 5 best pumpkins songs.
yup!

Old 05-22-2007, 07:22 PM   #329
somaziro
Ownz

god and country sounds like something straight from 'the hideout' cd's... the melody sounds like i dont remember which song it was...

Old 05-22-2007, 07:22 PM   #330
ratking17
Ownz

prison jumpsuits is the theme