Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2015, 06:49 PM   #1
Ram27
dumb

Default Does anyone else feel like they've listened to so much SP it doesn't even sound....

like normal music anymore?

I feel like it would be weird as hell and totally jarring to hear, say, Hummer on the radio or in the background somewhere.

It doesn't fit in with your life like other songs would, it's just so vibrantly familiar, it doesn't feel right.

Like I know so much about the band I can't really appreciate the song as just a song, like other bands have. It's so ingrained in my mind it feels unnatural. I don't even know what atmosphere it's intended to create anymore, it's just another Pumpkins song. You're so deep into it you don't even know what it's about anymore

Listen to this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5anLPw0Efmo

When you hear it, it's like just a random sad piano song. Okay.

But when you hear this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nta3rb8WAbA

It's just like...oh shit that's MCIS

And you lose all sense of context and stuff because you're so used to it

am I weird

Old 01-16-2015, 07:15 PM   #2
run2pee
Minion of Satan

No I get that. There was like a whole 5 year period I couldn't listen to 1979 (even though it was my first and still a sentimental fav) because it made me feel physically anxious; I perceived the cadence of it to be somehow off from what I remembered.

Then suddenly I could hear it properly again. It's gotta do something to the brain to hear something over n over n over....

...uh that's kinda what you are talking about right?

Old 01-16-2015, 07:30 PM   #3
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

I hear ya. Though I didn't listen to SP much at all from 2009-2013 so I had a long break after a healthy regular dose from 1995 to 2008.

Picking it back up last year was refreshing. Much of it felt different than before because I moved to such a different life stage.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:54 PM   #4
null123
Minion of Satan

I agree, you have to rotate these things
I listened to Geek USA on the way home and it was amazing but I've only heard it about 3 times in the last 4 years. It also means something a little different than it did 10 years ago

Old 01-17-2015, 07:23 AM   #5
panda show
Ownz

I think you just listened to the same songs too much

listen to some other artist(s) for a while and for some reason the songs will sound much more nostalgic when you listen to them again.. it's like that with music.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:56 AM   #6
bye june
Ownz

I listen to the Pumpkins in cycles/phases every year. I can get pretty hardcore into the discog for a few months and then I have to make myself stop or I'll just keep listening.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:30 PM   #7
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
Listen to this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5anLPw0Efmo

When you hear it, it's like just a random sad piano song. Okay.
good lord that's some melodramatic stuff

i remember when that song first came out, i was in junior high and hearing it just had this... aura of hopelessness to it. or just blackness, so sad & cold without any redeeming hope for the future or anything.

is that what people felt in the 90s with something like disarm? i've always felt like siamese dream was a pretty warm album but disarm's definitely up there as one of the single most "melodramatic" songs they ever came out with, at least in terms of ballads/slow songs or whatever

i love it, but it's been awhile since it's truly hit me, and i've truly felt the genuine emotional weight of the song. it's been so long since i've just... been hit by that. the personal resonance of a pumpkins song, i'm not even entirely sure i remember the last time i've cried even.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:42 PM   #8
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Evanescence was always terrible, even when you were 13.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #9
slunken
Virgo

I get this. It's like there is the smashing pumpkins and then there is everything else i listen to.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:51 PM   #10
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i used to be like this but it's less now. i mean it is different to know a bands complete catalog vs other bands where even if i know their b-sides i don't have mashed potatoes type non-released stuff. pumpkins will always be my favorite band if only because i dont have the desire or time to invest in a band the way i'm invested in SP. was my first band i really loved, i listened to so many interviews. i think i really felt personally betrayed when i accepted what an asshole billy is, like he fucking lied to me personally or something.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:46 PM   #11
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
pumpkins will always be my favorite band if only because i dont have the desire or time to invest in a band the way i'm invested in SP.
i've tried. no other band comes close to the wealth of readily available, high quality unreleased material.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:47 PM   #12
slunken
Virgo

for me, that's their hook: the avalanche of songs.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:22 PM   #13
Shallowed
Braindead

The online community definitely helps with finding unreleased material. With a lot of other bands it can be quite hard to find, but with SP so much of it is readily available and collected together.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:22 PM   #14
Shallowed
Braindead

ESPECIALLY with the live boots.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:42 PM   #15
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

With the Pumpkins what took me from casual fan to huge nerd was how deep down the rabbit hole you can go. Just when I think I've heard just about everything, I discover some new thing.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:19 PM   #16
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
The online community definitely helps with finding unreleased material. With a lot of other bands it can be quite hard to find, but with SP so much of it is readily available and collected together.
yea but even if you're into another band and you do the searching it's hard to come up with a list of alternate versions, studio demos, home demos, etc as bountiful as BC/SP

Old 01-17-2015, 10:51 PM   #17
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
Totally

I got so spoiled by the Pumpkins

I just got into My Vitriol and they're so good but all I can find are the two albums and the live album, and like two crappy quality festival shows on youtube. I've tried to find some demos, more boots, but all the links are dead or nonexistent. All the google results are just scams and fake titles and stuff. I've listened to Finelines like 50 fucking times in the last two weeks.

It's depressing.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:20 PM   #18
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

re: My Vitriol

there's demos from before the first album, and there's also an albums worth of demos of the second unreleased aborted album floating around out there. I'd upload them for you but they're on an old hard drive that's in a box somewhere (just moved).

if you like that heavy shoegaze type sound check out this album (one of the best releases of 2014):

Old 01-17-2015, 11:35 PM   #19
Shallowed
Braindead

A band like My Vitriol, who up until recently only had one album and almost no other releases to speak, and never had the same kind of following as SP are never going to have a lot of unreleased material circulating on the internet. They're incomparable.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:50 AM   #20
Ram27
dumb

I know, which is why I was spoiled by SP

Old 08-07-2015, 02:04 PM   #21
Porkbelly
Amish Rake Fighter

I have two different "listens" for all of the singles: the way I hear it now, and the way I heard it originally. Every now and then if I can bring myself to almost a meditative state, I can place myself back into that mindset of the way I heard Tonight Tonight when I was ten years old. Hell, I still remember when I was pretty young and Everlasting Gaze came out, all it sounded like to me was noise. My brain just couldn't process what it was hearing. I looked over at my college-age brother and said with wide eyes.. "This is too heavy. Don't you think this is like, really really heavy? This is the loudest thing I've ever heard." I was almost scared, like, "music doesn't sound like this.. what is this?" He just laughed at me and told me I should listen to Sabbath.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:25 PM   #22
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

rofl

i actually latched onto the machina stuff pretty early, as a new fan

like it was the second album i got from them or something

i still don't quite understand what this thread is trying to say, though i suppose it helps (or doesn't help?) that i was a particularly big (b-sides, alternate versions, etc.) fan of at least two different bands before getting in big to The "Mighty SP," as profound as the experience was

i guess the kind-of weird thing for me is hearing or perceiving people trying to marginalize them in the same way they would marginalize, say, 3rd Eye Blind, in terms of just having like BWBW, 1979, & Today in their collection at any given moment

it just seems so cheap

Old 08-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #23
Porkbelly
Amish Rake Fighter

Actually, it's been so long since hard rocking music was on the radio, it might not be far fetched to think that today's youth wouldn't have the same reaction if a song like BWBW came out today. It would probably be a big shock to their system, like it was to me when all I had heard before that was my parents playing The BeeGees and Phil Collins

Old 08-07-2015, 03:39 PM   #24
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
i guess the kind-of weird thing for me is hearing or perceiving people trying to marginalize them in the same way they would marginalize, say, 3rd Eye Blind, in terms of just having like BWBW, 1979, & Today in their collection at any given moment

it just seems so cheap
God yes. It bugs me how people are just like 'oh it's a punk rock band' or whatever. Or how people only think of sensitive fucking Billy Corgan and Disarm and world is a vampire

I love songs like Meladori Magpie or Ruby or whatever so much that it hurts to hear people dismiss them as just _____

They've kind of spoiled me for other bands, cause when I find a band, and I like their sound and album, I get bored quickly because it's just like....they have one sound. No matter how nice it is, it needs contrast, you know. Needs something different.

Quote:
To enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:31 PM   #25
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

I try to avoid the pumpkins as hard as I can, I was pretty happy when they weren't my number one artist in last.fm.

But I think I know what you mean, every other band/artists brings up memories from places, persons and things that happened to me, but not the pumpkins, there were so many occasions that my brain cannot pick one, but I think that thats when I can truly pay attention to all the details, although I know most songs by heart, there are so many songs that I am still discovering new things that I haven't noticed before... But maybe that's because of what I said earlier...

Old 08-08-2015, 05:17 AM   #26
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
am I weird
yes.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:46 AM   #27
T&T
Socialphobic

but is he strange?

Old 08-08-2015, 08:25 AM   #28