Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2018, 05:46 AM   #1
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Default New interview - Billy on D'arcy

Q: "Do you think that maybe one day you could see that reforming or is that just forever in the rearviewmirror?"

Billy:

"No, that's water under the bridge. We spent two years trying to rebuild the bridge with her and at the end of the day she chose not to be involved. We made every effort to involve her, including offering her the ability that not even have to be on the tour...she could show up at any time...she could play as much as she wanted to play...and she insisted that even though she hasn't been on stage in 19 years that she play every song...and we were like 'this is just an unrealistic thing for somebody who hasn't been on stage for 19 years to expect you to play a 3 hour show'. And ultimately what it came down to is that she didn't really wanna be involved. It was like a thing of...you know...chicken...you know...and eventually we called her bluff and we made a decision to move on. It was the right decision and although we regret that it wasn't able to happen because we really, really did try for the fans because we listen...we knew what people were asking of us. At the end of the day we're a professional rock 'n' roll unit...I mean...we're all tired...playing a 3 hour show was no joke...I'm 51...Jimmy I think is 53...54...James is 50. You know, we're not young kids anymore.
You know, you're asking people to get a babysitter, drive down to the arena, watch a long show...and we have to give our absolute best...and that's what we're doing...so ...yeah...that's water under the bridge. It's a shame but that's what it is."

Last edited by amoergosum : 07-31-2018 at 05:51 AM.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:51 AM   #2
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
she insisted that even though she hasn't been on stage in 19 years that she play every song
Quote:
And ultimately what it came down to is that she didn't really wanna be involved. It was like a thing of...you know...chicken...you know...and eventually we called her bluff and we made a decision to move on.

https://i.imgur.com/eConWvo.png

Old 07-31-2018, 07:50 AM   #3
slayed23
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
He is saying “he called her bluff”. That she said she wanted to be involved but she wasn’t sincere about it.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:10 AM   #4
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
and we were like 'this is just an unrealistic thing for somebody who hasn't been on stage for 19 years to expect you to play a 3 hour show
Billy didn't even care to visit her in order to see how she's doing physically, mentally and musically.

He made up his mind in 2016 but didn't tell her. THAT was not fair.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:10 AM   #5
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Well she did say she wanted to be involved. Then he tried to get her involved, and so far from Billy's side she pushed back. And then went nutso and released all the texts to the public.

He's right though. I play gigs reasonably regularly and the prospect of a long tour with a 3 hour show each night is pretty daunting I have to say...your fingers would be kiling you! Would D'arcy have struggled to play every song every night? Yes. Could she have come on to do a few songs here and there? Yes. But she didn't want to do that. The only option then was nothing at all.

Its all down to calluses.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:17 AM   #6
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Nah dude. It's all about money. If Billy really wanted the old TSP back, he would of fired The Shreoder, jammed with the original four, and did a small tour of clubs and played an hour and a half setlists. darcy could have managed that with practice and support.

instead we get this abomination of desolation. for money.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:32 AM   #7
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Jeff would have been involved no matter what happened. Jeff serves the role of Billy's security blanket. I agree with everything else though.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:35 AM   #8
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
meh. People text and say a lot of things but actually doing it and making every effort to do it is another story.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:36 AM   #9
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Jeff would have been involved no matter what happened. Jeff serves the role of Billy's security blanket. I agree with everything else though.
Then why would Bill text Darcy it would be a 25/25/25/25 split? Maybe that is a spolit of the profits after Jeff's $5k per show fee?

Old 07-31-2018, 09:41 AM   #10
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

The split referred to profits after the band paid all expenses. I would assume Jeff and Jack get paid salary.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:48 AM   #11
coolstorybro
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Nah dude. It's all about money. If Billy really wanted the old TSP back, he would of fired The Shreoder, jammed with the original four, and did a small tour of clubs and played an hour and a half setlists. darcy could have managed that with practice and support.

Not for money dude. Anyone that's followed Corgan's career can tell you he craves adoration and respect. This is an effort to gain it and then some.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:26 AM   #12
SPLATTER
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
Well she did say she wanted to be involved. Then he tried to get her involved, and so far from Billy's side she pushed back. And then went nutso and released all the texts to the public.

He's right though. I play gigs reasonably regularly and the prospect of a long tour with a 3 hour show each night is pretty daunting I have to say...your fingers would be kiling you! Would D'arcy have struggled to play every song every night? Yes. Could she have come on to do a few songs here and there? Yes. But she didn't want to do that. The only option then was nothing at all.

Its all down to calluses.
I'm sure Live Nation could arrange for a backstage roadie to play support bass. It's very common even for active musicians.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:36 AM   #13
thedeadofnight
Ownz

I'm actually okay with Billy on this.

This show is a massive 3+ hour production with multiple dates and a lot of travelling. What would have happened if D'arcy freaked out after the 2nd show and decided it was too much for her after so much time out? They couldn't risk having to cancel such a production and we all know that was a huge possibility.

The offer of having her hop on and off the tour was reasonable because there'd be no pressure on her in any way. If she felt she could do a few songs every night then great, maybe they could start thinking of a mini-tour whereby just the original four would play and see how they got on. If she didn't want to appear at each show, then Jack Bates was there so no worries, the show would go on.

I think we all know, despite our D'arcy-tinted glasses, that she couldn't have just jumped on this massive tour after 19 years out. It was too risky

Old 07-31-2018, 10:49 AM   #14
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeadofnight View Post
I think we all know, despite our D'arcy-tinted glasses, that she couldn't have just jumped on this massive tour after 19 years out. It was too risky

It would have been ok if Billy told her from the get-go:

'Listen D'arcy...I plan to do a reunion tour. I'd love you to join us but since it's gonna be an arena tour (3 hour shows) it will be a lot of pressure. You haven't played in public since 19 years so even if you think you can handle it, you don't really know. So all I'm able to offer is a guest spot for now. You can play a couple of songs each night and just get a feeling for everything again.
After the tour we can talk about you joining the band full time again. I really hope you say yes.'

But he didn't. He made her believe more than he was ever willing to offer.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:18 AM   #15
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Was there a third party involved? Maybe Live Nation took one look at D'Arcy (and I don't mean her physical appearance, but maybe) and said "nope". Would they have that power?

Agreed that they should've jammed, recorded something, and did some super small club gigs together. And built it up slowly. Instead of going for glory straight away. That suggests that Jimmy and James may not be in it for the long run.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:21 AM   #16
Kahlo

Boo hoo. They would have got 3 songs into this tour before she probably crashed out, embarrassing the band and herself in the process and leaving everyone in the lurch.

Corgan made the right call here imo. I can't believe some of you are still bitching about this. Move the fuck on.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:50 AM   #17
thedeadofnight
Ownz

Quote:
It would have been ok if Billy told her from the get-go:

'Listen D'arcy...I plan to do a reunion tour. I'd love you to join us but since it's gonna be an arena tour (3 hour shows) it will be a lot of pressure. You haven't played in public since 19 years so even if you think you can handle it, you don't really know. So all I'm able to offer is a guest spot for now. You can play a couple of songs each night and just get a feeling for everything again.
After the tour we can talk about you joining the band full time again. I really hope you say yes.'

But he didn't. He made her believe more than he was ever willing to offer.
Yeah I agree with that. But it seems Billy may have offered her exactly that - D'arcy was only ever gonna share the screenshots that made her look good.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:58 AM   #18
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Like I've said, Billy's concerns are valid, but he never got in a room with her to play to find out if she was up to playing on the tour, and according to D'arcy, she was led on for 2 years to believe she'd be back as bassist.

If Billy's story included a part where he said, 'D'arcy and I spent some time jamming together, and I just didn't think she was prepared for 3 hour performances on a tour of this magnitude' that I'd totally get where he's coming from. He should have kept his mouth shut about her in interviews from 2016-2017 and not even discussed plans for a reunion tour with her until he was able to get in a room.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:05 PM   #19
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

-Three-hour setlist
-Billy playing guitar and shredding like he hasn't played in well over a decade
-James up there spouting James quips
-Band sounding really good
-Jimmeh

Sucks she's not around, wish it were otherwise, but I'm over it

Old 07-31-2018, 12:40 PM   #20
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:

Fucking nailed it

Notice how every single argument in bills favor starts with “but the pressures of the tour!”

The tour was not necessary right now, other than apparently bill is in a hole b/c wrestling

So it comes down to money/wrestling > darcy/integrity/the fans

Old 07-31-2018, 12:44 PM   #21
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
we regret that it wasn't able to happen because we really, really did try for the fans because we listen...we knew what people were asking of us.
So he didn't try it because HE wanted D'arcy to be involved but because he thought fans asked it of them?

$$$

And why does he use "we" all the time?...I doubt Jimmy or James were really involved.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:04 PM   #22
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Oh lord. 30 more pages of this.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:18 PM   #23
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

I understand bill. Its what i was saying. She didnt play a show for 20 years. Who in gods name would invite some instable drug addicted woman to a monster tour?
A professional would never.
So- bye darcy : milk your cows.. Make some good cheese out of it.

90 per cent acuused billy - but i belong to the 10 that somehow felt that she would not be fit enough

Old 07-31-2018, 01:19 PM   #24
jparker800
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
The tour was not necessary right now, other than apparently bill is in a hole b/c wrestling

So it comes down to money/wrestling > darcy/integrity/the fans
Oh neat, where did Billy post his bank statements? I'd love to go examine them and see how much he was in the hole and desperate for money. Pure speculation.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:21 PM   #25
douglas78
Apocalyptic Poster

I bet his real intention was not to ******* her all along. He was scared of the long gap of time and wanted to make this big production of the Belly show come hell or high water. If he really thought that she could do it he would've took the time to get the 4 of them together, no plus ones and rehearse until he was happy with her output. Then, come out as the original band, play a handful of small shows in Chicago, NY and maybe LA. The buzz alone from that would've hyped up a world tour and more sales then this tour could ever hope to produce. That would've been the right way to do it. All that BS about her playing chicken with him is nonsense. He wanted the big show without having to put in any real effort to bring her in. It was all or nothing. That being said, they do sound better than they ever have live. The whole production just sours it for me. I'm not as excited as I thought I'd be. I don't give a shit how bad D'arcy would be on stage. The aesthetic of SP has been missing since she left and nothing since 2007 has been able to recreate it. I don't care how much music he puts out.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:23 PM   #26
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas78 View Post
That being said, they do sound better than they ever have live.
You smoking crack?

Old 07-31-2018, 01:24 PM   #27
douglas78
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
You smoking crack?
Well, I guess as far as sounding like the studio cuts..which I like btw

Old 07-31-2018, 01:32 PM   #28
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Y’all are fuckin

OBSESSED

it’s a good tour and the last time we’ll get a glimpse of what made the band great

stfu and enjoy it

Old 07-31-2018, 01:41 PM   #29
douglas78
Apocalyptic Poster

Well, there's always the chance of a 40th reunion show. I'm pretty sure any new material from here on out will be crap and lack luster.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:47 PM   #30
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Darcy reminds me of the guy in Kill Bill 2 who used to be an expert sword fighter with one of those fancy swords, but he hasn't picked it up in years and has been dossing about living in a caravan.