Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #301
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

in my opinion it's actually been longer since chris cornell did something great than billy corgan. so. I don't know, I'm not seeing your point here which I think started out as being that Cornell is not terrible, or is less bad than Corgan or something.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #302
Catherine Wheel
Banned

I used to worship the Pumpkins and Corgan in particular but in more recent years I have grown to see them more as bandwagon jumpers even from the beginning. They started out as a new wave / post punk / goth band but quickly dropped that for something more indie sounding. Siamese Dream was somewhat calculated I think. It just seems like Soundgarden have always had more integrity. I respect Cornell more than Corgan.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #303
redbreegull

in all fairness, Corgan has never been anything but rampantly vocal about how the goal of the band was to be hugely popular. I'm not sure it's accurate to say they jumped on the indie bandwagon though... when Gish was being written, the mainstream was still not interested in heavy guitar music, and even in the post-Nevermind paradigm, the Pumpkins were not exactly following in the footsteps of their contemporaries. Gish is much more akin to the decadent hard rock of the 70s and the psychedelia of the late 60s than to the punk sensibilities of the Seattle bands or the Pixies or whatever. The Pumpkins were rejected by the indie scene as equally as by the mainstream at first, and throughout their first run, Corgan repeatedly made an unabashed effort to go against the grain of what was popular as often as possible.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:05 AM   #304
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
i'd be into reading that article
Count me in for that, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
I used to worship the Pumpkins and Corgan in particular but in more recent years I have grown to see them more as bandwagon jumpers even from the beginning. They started out as a new wave / post punk / goth band but quickly dropped that for something more indie sounding. Siamese Dream was somewhat calculated I think. It just seems like Soundgarden have always had more integrity. I respect Cornell more than Corgan.
I could agree with this to some extent now that I have more of an objective perspective on the matter. With exception to the parts of it that sounded oddly Guns N Roses and Jane's Addiction-ish, I would agree with Redbreegull that Gish was actually considerably different to the style of rock which was popular at the time though. Siamese Dream does sound considerably more aligned to the popular alternative shoe gaze hard rock of its time than did Gish IMO.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:49 AM   #305
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
in my opinion it's actually been longer since chris cornell did something great than billy corgan. so. I don't know, I'm not seeing your point here which I think started out as being that Cornell is not terrible, or is less bad than Corgan or something.
Really? I thought King Animal was one of the better comeback albums of the last couple of years. For the most part, it sounded pretty uncompromising and the band chemistry is still there.

There's nothing respectable here? Seriously?

Old 09-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #306
redbreegull

it's not terrible but it's also not any better than oceania

Old 09-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #307
Kreatorkind
Demi-God

I decided to do a track by track review of King Animal as I was listening to it for the first time... Here it is:

1. I've been away for too long:

HEY! We're the same Soundgarden you used to love in 1994! Just don't listen to the lyrics. Pretty bad ass drums huh? 60/100

2. Non-State Actor:

Wait! Don't skip this track!! ...oh, never mind, nothing to see here, move along. Hey, at least Chris did that digital scream he made famous in Audioslave! (btw, I did listen all the way through) 40/100

3. By Crooked Steps:

This is the perfect example of why riff-rock is a dead end... oh, hey, remember how great 1994 was? Except age has robbed Chris of his range apparently. 35/100

4. A Thousand Days Before:

Sitars are still hip right? See? We're still spiritual here... take that Billy Corgan! But, in all honesty... Kim Thayil still kicks ass. The guitar layering here is classic Soundgarden, but that seems to be the rub... nothing new here. 30/100

5. Blood on the Valley Floor:

Bang them heads mofos. At least this track is picking up some heaviness! Eh... at exactly 1:48 the riff gets old. SURPRISE ME!!! 50/100

6. Bones of Birds:

Meh. This album, so far makes me want to break all my other Soundgarden CDs and never listen to Soundgarden ever again. Hey, remember how awesome 1994 was? SHIT! I have 7 more tracks to go? WTF? The bass thing at the end is kinda cool though. 40/100

7. Taree:

Is this about Stargate SG-1? One minute in... meh. I really don't wanna keep going. But I swore that I'd listen to every track all the way through. It's got all the right pieces... but it's not glued together correctly. It's like a Ming Dynasty vase that has been shattered by some asshole, and glued together by an eight-year old, with elmer's glue. 35/100

8. Attrition:

hmmm.. Okay... yeah, I'm rockin. Well, except Chris should be screaming his head off in this song. Boring after 2 minutes. 50/100

9. Black Saturday:

Okay... so far so good! Good groove. eh, not bad... not great though. By the end I was already wishing it was over. 50/100

10. Halfway There:

Nice! Good melody. Nice... I like this song. It's one of the good ones.

"If you've got a car and... somewhere to sleep
Someone who loves you... and something to eat
I would say you're doing better than most
Well maybe not as well as some

And how far is halfway there?"

That spoke to me on a very personal level... I'll be listening to this one again. 70/100

11. Worse Dreams:

This song's riff reminds me of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_DydKnpDsk

It's definitely a rocker though. I wanna go back and listen to Sugarloaf though. 40/100

12. Eyelid's Mouth:

Audioslave leftover? Sans Morello's inventive soloing? A borrowed bridge from "Outshined"? Meh. Over yet? Nope... over a minute of pointlessness aaaannnndddd fade out. 30/100

13. Rowing:

Ah, the closer... will it be epic? Will it make the rest of the album make sense? Will history be kind? Ah, no, we get Soundgarden's version of a Johnny Cash-like spiritual, without any shred of authenticity. 30/100

Out of a possible 1300 (100 pts. per song)... this album is: 560/1300 Meh. Don't buy it.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #308
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

i was waiting with rapt anticipation for that

Old 09-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #309
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac View Post

There's nothing respectable here? Seriously?
No. Yes, seriously.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #310
Adult Head
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreatorkind View Post
I decided to do a track by track review of King Animal as I was listening to it for the first time... Here it is:

1. I've been away for too long:

HEY! We're the same Soundgarden you used to love in 1994! Just don't listen to the lyrics. Pretty bad ass drums huh? 60/100

2. Non-State Actor:

Wait! Don't skip this track!! ...oh, never mind, nothing to see here, move along. Hey, at least Chris did that digital scream he made famous in Audioslave! (btw, I did listen all the way through) 40/100

3. By Crooked Steps:

This is the perfect example of why riff-rock is a dead end... oh, hey, remember how great 1994 was? Except age has robbed Chris of his range apparently. 35/100

4. A Thousand Days Before:

Sitars are still hip right? See? We're still spiritual here... take that Billy Corgan! But, in all honesty... Kim Thayil still kicks ass. The guitar layering here is classic Soundgarden, but that seems to be the rub... nothing new here. 30/100

5. Blood on the Valley Floor:

Bang them heads mofos. At least this track is picking up some heaviness! Eh... at exactly 1:48 the riff gets old. SURPRISE ME!!! 50/100

6. Bones of Birds:

Meh. This album, so far makes me want to break all my other Soundgarden CDs and never listen to Soundgarden ever again. Hey, remember how awesome 1994 was? SHIT! I have 7 more tracks to go? WTF? The bass thing at the end is kinda cool though. 40/100

7. Taree:

Is this about Stargate SG-1? One minute in... meh. I really don't wanna keep going. But I swore that I'd listen to every track all the way through. It's got all the right pieces... but it's not glued together correctly. It's like a Ming Dynasty vase that has been shattered by some asshole, and glued together by an eight-year old, with elmer's glue. 35/100

8. Attrition:

hmmm.. Okay... yeah, I'm rockin. Well, except Chris should be screaming his head off in this song. Boring after 2 minutes. 50/100

9. Black Saturday:

Okay... so far so good! Good groove. eh, not bad... not great though. By the end I was already wishing it was over. 50/100

10. Halfway There:

Nice! Good melody. Nice... I like this song. It's one of the good ones.

"If you've got a car and... somewhere to sleep
Someone who loves you... and something to eat
I would say you're doing better than most
Well maybe not as well as some

And how far is halfway there?"

That spoke to me on a very personal level... I'll be listening to this one again. 70/100

11. Worse Dreams:

This song's riff reminds me of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_DydKnpDsk

It's definitely a rocker though. I wanna go back and listen to Sugarloaf though. 40/100

12. Eyelid's Mouth:

Audioslave leftover? Sans Morello's inventive soloing? A borrowed bridge from "Outshined"? Meh. Over yet? Nope... over a minute of pointlessness aaaannnndddd fade out. 30/100

13. Rowing:

Ah, the closer... will it be epic? Will it make the rest of the album make sense? Will history be kind? Ah, no, we get Soundgarden's version of a Johnny Cash-like spiritual, without any shred of authenticity. 30/100

Out of a possible 1300 (100 pts. per song)... this album is: 560/1300 Meh. Don't buy it.
wrong board

Old 09-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #311
Kreatorkind
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Head View Post
wrong board
Your FACE is the wrong board!

Old 09-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #312
Adult Head
Ownz

your face is the wrong board

Old 09-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #313
MusicMan4

Quote:
Really? I thought King Animal was one of the better comeback albums of the last couple of years. For the most part, it sounded pretty uncompromising and the band chemistry is still there.
the dude delivers

Old 09-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #314
Kreatorkind
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Head View Post
your face is the wrong board
i know.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #315
Spira|_
Apocalyptic Poster

98% of the bands who reunited is for the money. I dont understand what you are discussing here through this 13838678 pages.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #316
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Quote:
King Animal is good but as far as recent comeback albums the best would have to be the Verve - Forth

Old 09-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #317
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
The Smashing Pumpkins/Soundgarden feud has picked up again, with Soundgarden members Kim Thayil, Ben Shepherd, and Matt Cameron going off on Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan and similar frontmen in a recent interview with Gigwise. The feud started a couple of years ago when Corgan accused Soundgarden of reuniting for the money. Below are some quotes from the band discussing cynicism regarding their reunion.

Kim Thayil: “We weren’t the only band to reunite in the last 5 or 6 years.”

Kim Thayil: “Some haven’t made records, they just go out on tour and make a bunch of money touring and they’re not really creative together, they’re just playing hits or whatever.”

Kim Thayil: “It’s not possible for us to do a bad record. Here’s how it’s possible to do a bad record. You’ve got one jackass who runs the whole thing, and a bunch of guys they hire around him.”

Matt Cameron: “Who you talking about?”

Ben Shepherd: “You mean the yes men?”

Kim Thayil: “Now you can make a bad record because your stupid ideas aren’t being bounced around, going to the fucking ether.”

Ben Shepherd: “Some are like a yes men thing, we’re like a no men thing.”

Kim Thayil: “If you’ve got a band where one guy calls the shots, that’s a band that’s going to suck. Because the guy might have bad thoughts in his head. Well I just came out of sobriety and I’ve got this idea for a rock record, I just married my third wife and I have this new idea for a rock record.”

The interviewer then specifically asked about Billy Corgan criticizing the reunion, since it was clear that they were referring to him.

Matt Cameron: “I think Kim has addressed that point.”

Ben Shepherd: “How we deal with it is we just control ourselves so we just focus on what we’re going to do, how and what we’re going to be and that’s all you can really control in life, not what some dickhead says about you, so you just don’t worry about it.”

Kim also said that he was talking about many bands with one leader leading their band.
Source:
http://www.alternativenation.net/?p=35045

Last edited by amoergosum : 09-22-2013 at 03:10 AM.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #318
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Kurt Cobain and Rivers Cuomo were the songwriters for their respective bands and they put out great albums in the 90s. It's more about what type of person the bandleader is than whether or not it's mainly one person calling the shots.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:12 AM   #319
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Chris Cornell still sounds great >>>

Late Night With Jimmy Fallon (Pearl Jam Week)

Old 10-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #320
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
Kurt Cobain and Rivers Cuomo were the songwriters for their respective bands and they put out great albums in the 90s. It's more about what type of person the bandleader is than whether or not it's mainly one person calling the shots.
guarandamntee you that Dave Grohl had considerable creative input

as for weezer, band took a sharp downward trajectory after matt sharp left so i think that's also indicative of some creative input rather than cuomo calling all the shots

Old 07-11-2015, 02:12 PM   #321
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 07-11-2015, 02:40 PM   #322
slunken
Virgo

haha

Old 07-11-2015, 02:40 PM   #323
slunken
Virgo

let me out

Old 07-11-2015, 08:42 PM   #324
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post

was that your tweet to him?

Old 07-11-2015, 10:17 PM   #325
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Default ?

What was this about?

Old 07-12-2015, 02:28 AM   #326
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
was that your tweet to him?
Nope.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:55 AM   #327
Morlock
Ownz

YES, Cornell's voice isn't what it used to be, his solo- and Audioslave work contains some very uninspired tracks (on the second solo album more than on Scream), and seeing Soundgarden live in 2013 was a disappointment. King Animal however is a pretty good album, and there is no way I'd rather listen to Oceania or Monuments.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:56 AM   #328
FoolofaTook

or you could, you know, like just not listen to either.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:20 PM   #329
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 07-14-2015, 03:36 PM   #330
Cool As Ice Cream

How rude! Please, mind your language, William. Thank you.