Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2018, 02:38 AM   #91
Disco King
Minion of Satan

"Jesus, today this rock star I recorded for tried to tell me that Mozart was a genius because he was the first guy to use all the keys on a piano. Actually 'buttons,' he called them 'buttons.' He told me to play the cello part he wrote, but he wrote it as guitar tablature and told me to play 'in a cello way.' I just wrote my own piece that would work better with his song. No, I don't get songwriting credit, it's in the contract. He can keep on saying he wrote it if he wants, I don't give a shit."

Old 02-27-2018, 03:28 AM   #92
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramdust View Post
I've been able to drag friends along to SP shows in the past. Nobody wants to join me on this tour. Eh.
cue Chicago being "sold out" - with a ton of reserved places for comp tickets, I saw the monthly work mail with available comp tickets for us, grabbed 4 SP (of the 12 we alone got) despite not being in Chicago at that date because I thought hell, certainly someone will want to go. Nope.

Ticket, anyone? (Kidding.)

First time ever I am for taking us off a comp ticket list because there is really no interest, might as well give them back. The only person I still had in the last couple of years to maybe go to a gig with me was mister pave, and he dropped off around Monuments. This tour hasn't changed that apparently, I still don't know a single person who would go sit in an arena with me for this. Apparently not even for free!

Old 02-27-2018, 03:38 AM   #93
Kumar Littlejeans
Demi-God

You guys seem like you’re doing ok. Does anyone on this thread have an extra $1200 laying around to help one of the greatest Smashing Pumpkins fans of all time to pay his taxes? I will send you an a capella CD of my renditions of songs this band will never play again. I’m talking Salt. Oui Henri. Sweet Sweet. FOL. As Rome Burns. Christmastime. It will feel so much better than going to this show. And you’ll be doing a favor to an American Hero.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:42 AM   #94
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar Littlejeans View Post
You guys seem like you’re doing ok. Does anyone on this thread have an extra $1200 laying around to help one of the greatest Smashing Pumpkins fans of all time to pay his taxes? I will send you an a capella CD of my renditions of songs this band will never play again. I’m talking Salt. Oui Henri. Sweet Sweet. FOL. As Rome Burns. Christmastime. It will feel so much better than going to this show. And you’ll be doing a favor to an American Hero.
bitcoin

Old 02-27-2018, 03:45 AM   #95
Kumar Littlejeans
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
bitcoin
I’m too busy FUCKING

...going crazy on this block of cheese to even ponder how badly I missed the boat on that

Old 02-27-2018, 06:41 AM   #96
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I'll make sweet mouse paintings on windows paint for bitcoin.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:41 AM   #97
LaBelle
Socialphobic

And by mouse I mean using a mouse, not depictions of rats.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:49 AM   #98
slayed23
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
cue Chicago being "sold out" - with a ton of reserved places for comp tickets, I saw the monthly work mail with available comp tickets for us, grabbed 4 SP (of the 12 we alone got) despite not being in Chicago at that date because I thought hell, certainly someone will want to go. Nope.

Ticket, anyone? (Kidding.)

First time ever I am for taking us off a comp ticket list because there is really no interest, might as well give them back. The only person I still had in the last couple of years to maybe go to a gig with me was mister pave, and he dropped off around Monuments. This tour hasn't changed that apparently, I still don't know a single person who would go sit in an arena with me for this. Apparently not even for free!
No one that would just wanna spend quality time with ya? JK.

Just craigslist them dude. Someone will buy them.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:36 PM   #99
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

I honestly think an arena tour would have made sense if it was a smaller scale tour with only the bigger markets; LA, NYC, CHI, Toronto, ATL, Seattle, SF. These shows in flyovers like Louisville, Sioux Falls and OKC aren't gonna move tickets any faster. Then do the festival circuit in Europe.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:08 PM   #100
kremlin18
Oblivious Virgin

To me, this is all about D'arcy. If she got her act together and gave Billy enough confidence that she could join the tour (because you know he wanted her, I have to think he knew how important she was to the reunion), we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Tickets would be selling reasonably well and most of us would be excited to go.

As of right now, I'm holding out to see if tickets get cheaper closer to show date in my area. That said, it's going to be hard convincing friends who are only casual fans to go without D'arcy there.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:15 PM   #101
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i doubt more than a few hundred people are boycotting because of d'arcy.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:29 PM   #102
kremlin18
Oblivious Virgin

I don't think it's boycotting so much, just a lack of interest. Billy, James and Jimmy are pretty stoic without her around, almost a boring energy in some ways.

I can only speak for myself, but I'd already have my tickets if D'arcy was part of the reunion. As of right now, it's very possible I won't attend at all.

Last edited by kremlin18 : 02-28-2018 at 12:13 AM.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:43 PM   #103
myosis
Minion of Satan

if d'arcy was in i'd be suckered into buying a ticket too

Old 02-27-2018, 06:50 PM   #104
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Cane View Post
https://instagram.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn....09687808_n.jpg

Billy reacts! This is supposed to be a positive reaction, but he looks like he just received another text from D'arcy.

this person seriously looks like a lunatic

Old 02-27-2018, 08:26 PM   #105
Ram27
dumb

i can't believe he posted that pic

like how do you convince yourself that's a good image to project? you either look greedy or like you're lacking confidence

Old 02-27-2018, 08:29 PM   #106
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

in candy cane's orig. post you can see it's posted by someone other than bill

Old 02-27-2018, 08:30 PM   #107
Shallowed
Braindead

He looks like a grandma.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:46 PM   #108
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremlin18 View Post
I don't think it's boycotting so much, just a lack of interest. Billy, James and Jimmy are pretty stoic without her around, almost of a boring energy in some ways.

I can only speak for myself, but I'd already have my tickets if D'arcy was part of the reunion. As of right now, it's very possible I won't attend at all.
I gotta agree. People might not personally care about D'arcy, but people do care about the romance of seeing the original lineup. It would be a huge selling point and the marketability would be through the roof. If you have the classic 4 then I think selling out arenas would be a piece of cake. The buzz would be incredible. Instead you have this glaring asterisk diminishing the whole thing.

Of course people would have been less inclined to mind if SP hadn't been touring like crazy over the past 10 years. I just don't think that adding Iha moves the needle as much as he's probably hoping it does.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I thought that with Live Nation on board that this thing would be a major success, but now that I see what they're charging for tickets I'm not so sure. Either way, I'm sure they'll make good money... It just might not create the kind of buzz that I thought it might.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 02-27-2018 at 09:55 PM.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:51 PM   #109
fuzzyroes
Banned

Disco King brought up some good points in another thread. I think Live Nation is over shooting with the ticket prices. Those price points are legacy act type prices that you see with Guns N Roses, U2, Metallica... I just don't think Smashing Pumpkins carries the same cultural weight.

I mean sure, 1979 gets heavy rotation on stations like Jack FM and the oldies and songs like Today and Disarm still get spins on alt-rock stations but is that enough to fill stadiums with absurd ticket prices? I just don't know... You have the original 4 and it's another story, but with a semi reunion? Ehhhhhh it muddies the waters a lot.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:00 AM   #110
fuzzyroes
Banned

Looks like more news outlets are running with the story that the tour isn't selling well... Can't be a helpful narrative as far as Live Nation is concerned.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news...e_tickets.html

A lot of the comments for that article are gold!

Old 02-28-2018, 12:11 AM   #111
myosis
Minion of Satan

article fails to refer to GnR tour

Old 02-28-2018, 12:12 AM   #112
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Looks like more news outlets are running with the story that the tour isn't selling well... Can't be a helpful narrative as far as Live Nation is concerned.

I do think some of the other sites like UG are kind of cherrypicking just to push a negative narrative, in the same way that the narrative behind the announcement of the new LA and Chicago shows isn't totally correct either. Alternative Nation's initial article showed it wasn't totally black and white and analyzed at least 20 shows, the major cities are doing well (ones besides LA and Chicago too), while smaller ones and others are doing anywhere from okay to bad. The tour's basically doing fine, but not great or totally tanking either.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:13 AM   #113
slayed23
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post

Either Detroit just sold a ton of tickets, or they went to secondary markets like groupon. Although I have not found any yet on their website. Stubhub still very expensive everywhere but the upper deck areas.

At the end of the day, most of the tickets will be bought. Just not for their original asking prices.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:19 AM   #114
slayed23
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post
I do think some of the other sites like UG are kind of cherrypicking just to push a negative narrative, in the same way that the narrative behind the announcement of the new LA and Chicago shows isn't totally correct either. Alternative Nation's initial article showed it wasn't totally black and white and analyzed at least 20 shows, the major cities are doing well (ones besides LA and Chicago too), while smaller ones and others are doing anywhere from okay to bad. The tour's basically doing fine, but not great or totally tanking either.
Sioux Falls and Omaha (and a few others) probably were too ambitious. Those should have been in smaller places if they wanted to hit those areas. Just not enough of a population for a band like Smashing Pumpkins.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:25 AM   #115
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

miami still looks like shit. i didn't realize that it's not only the floor @ $125, but some of the balcony, with the rest $99. and mezzanine is $69. only at the 400 level do you get 49 and 29$ tickets

Old 02-28-2018, 12:26 AM   #116
kremlin18
Oblivious Virgin

I agree the prices and venue sizes are somewhat out of hand for the product they're putting together. I almost wonder if LiveNation set the whole thing up with D'arcy in mind before it fell through.

Seems like Billy had this idea of bringing her out for a few songs, because for whatever reason he didn't think she could play bass full-time (justified or not I don't know), but he didn't anticipate her ultimatum: full-time bass player or bust.

I have to believe Billy really wanted her there though, even just for marketing reasons, which is why I don't think D'arcy is telling the whole story with her texts and interviews. They must've tried to meet in person at some point and for whatever reason that didn't pan out.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:30 AM   #117
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayed23 View Post
Either Detroit just sold a ton of tickets, or they went to secondary markets like groupon. Although I have not found any yet on their website. Stubhub still very expensive everywhere but the upper deck areas.

At the end of the day, most of the tickets will be bought. Just not for their original asking prices.
Just checked Detroit, it's doing all right, but there's still tickets left.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:32 AM   #118
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremlin18 View Post
I agree the prices and venue sizes are somewhat out of hand for the product they're putting together. I almost wonder if LiveNation set the whole thing up with D'arcy in mind before it fell through.

Seems like Billy had this idea of bringing her out for a few songs, because for whatever reason he didn't think she could play bass full-time (justified or not I don't know), but he didn't anticipate her ultimatum: full-time bass player or bust.

I have to believe Billy really wanted her there though, even just for marketing reasons, which is why I don't think D'arcy is telling the whole story with her texts and interviews. They must've tried to meet in person at some point and for whatever reason that didn't pan out.
He also didn't even have a concrete financial offer about the guest spot according to D'arcy once he shifted gears to that.

I still think if they somehow worked it out and she joined the tour they could get major publicity and it would boost sales. I don't know how significantly, but especially how much shit she's talked if they somehow worked it out where she'd play, it'd get a lot of press.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:34 AM   #119
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Someone else said it in another thread. It’s not the lack of D’Arcy hurting sales at all. It’s that the Pumpkins just aren’t in demand anymore. They were lucky to be an arena band for about 30 months. I saw them at a 3,000ish seat auditorium in 2000 and it couldn’t sell out until the week of the show.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:42 AM   #120
kremlin18
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post
He also didn't even have a concrete financial offer about the guest spot according to D'arcy once he shifted gears to that.

I still think if they somehow worked it out and she joined the tour they could get major publicity and it would boost sales. I don't know how significantly, but especially how much shit she's talked if they somehow worked it out where she'd play, it'd get a lot of press.
Yeah, that really would be nice if they could pull that together. Seems so unlikely with D'arcy having published their texts, but what an awesome surprise that would be!