Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2002, 09:20 PM   #1
The Admiral

Post Rules for Audiences of Rock

In case you haven't read it yet, I thought this was appropriate following last night's Zwan show. I think Buddyhead hit everything on the head (especially number 20, in the particular case of Zwan's shows)...

http://www.buddyhead.com/music/rules.../audience.html

Old 04-06-2002, 10:53 PM   #2
Fish

Thumbs up

Buddyhead is for the children

Old 04-06-2002, 11:41 PM   #3
Mayfuck

Quote:
Originally posted by The Admiral:
In case you haven't read it yet, I thought this was appropriate following last night's Zwan show. I think Buddyhead hit everything on the head (especially number 20, in the particular case of Zwan's shows)...

http://www.buddyhead.com/music/rules.../audience.html
Too many trips to the ballet? God forbid people enjoy themselves at concerts, you try-hard elitist fuck.

Old 04-06-2002, 11:59 PM   #4
sawdust restaurants

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Mayfuck:
Too many trips to the ballet? God forbid people enjoy themselves at concerts, you try-hard elitist fuck.

Old 04-07-2002, 12:13 AM   #5
YeehaJamesIha

Thumbs up

Quote:

Old 04-07-2002, 01:03 AM   #6
Eulogy

Thumbs up

Quote:

(And whenever I see someone singing at a concert, I can never actually hear them.)

Old 04-07-2002, 02:41 AM   #7
The Admiral

Tough online exterior or no, Mayfuck, it comes down to something called "common fucking courtesy." It's called not bringing unwanted attention to yourself after a whole room of people have paid money to pay attention to the people on stage. You might fancy this great notion that there's some wonderful community converging on the floor to experience a great event collectively; in reality, there are five people on stage that I'm wanting to hear without being bumped by some hyper 15-year-old whose mom forgot to pack his Aderol before his trip to the show or without putting up with a dipshit who really thinks he's gonna get a blowjob because he knows that the Pumpkins had a song called Pulseczar (oooh, he must own Earphoria).

Do people have to stand rigid and silent?

Nope.

Should they be trying their best to be the life of the fucking party?

They'd better not be.

[This message has been edited by The Admiral (edited 04-07-2002).]

Old 04-07-2002, 02:42 AM   #8
Mayfuck

Quote:
Tough online exterior or no, Mayfuck, it comes down to something called "common fucking courtesy." It's called not bringing unwanted attention to yourself after a whole room of people have paid money to pay attention to the people on stage. You might fancy this great notion that there's some wonderful community converging on the floor to experience a great event collectively; in reality, there are five people on stage that I'm wanting to hear without being bumped by some hyper 15-year-old whose mom forgot to pack his Aderol before his trip to the show or putting up with a dipshit who really thinks he's gonna get a blowjob because he knows that the Pumpkins had a song called Pulseczar (oooh, he must own Earphoria).

Do people have to stand rigid and silent?

Nope.

Should they be trying their best to be the life of the fucking party?

They'd better not be.
I bet you're fat too.

Old 04-07-2002, 02:48 AM   #9
The Admiral

Quote:
I bet you're fat too.
Only in the skull, man, only in the skull.

Old 04-07-2002, 04:36 AM   #10
Folladori

Quote:
Only in the skull, man, only in the skull.
FATHEAD FATHEAD ROFLOLOLOLOLLOOLOOLLOLLOLOL

I thought it was kind of a funny piece, though. Needlessly elitist, but that's why it was funny.

I break rule #9 at almost every show I see. And I'm going to see Guided by Voices tomorrow, where everyone sings along and shouts out songtitles every night.

------------------
http://allstarpowerup.com/incoming/joeshill-gimp.jpg

All Star Powerup Music. The one, true way to goodbye depression.
AIM- JetsPartTwo

Old 04-07-2002, 04:53 AM   #11
Irrelevant

Cool

rule 20 huh? i stood near the back and sang along with the songs i knew. i also did an air drum here and there! oh no! i ruined the concert!

Old 04-07-2002, 05:27 AM   #12
The Admiral

Quote:
Originally posted by Irrelevant:
oh no! i ruined the concert!
No, but it looked pretty dumb.

Old 04-07-2002, 09:01 AM   #13
Lie

Screw common fucking courtesy...I would be happy if the people in front of me would just be kind enough not to elbow me in the face. I'll sing, dance, scream, and cry as loud as I damn well please. If I pay good money for a ticket I'm damn well going to enjoy myself. There are some people who should not be allowed to sing at rock concerts, not be allowed to dance, and not be allowed to push people around, but it's a fact of life and I'd rather get shoved around a little bit than be forced to stand and watch my favorite band completely emotionless or show my ticket to security every time I have to go to the bathroom. And if the guy next to me is playing air guitar, I'm not going to let that ruin my concert experience, in fact, I'm not even going to give a fuck, and if you notice or care about things like that at concerts, that you're probably not having much fun anyway, so go home.

------------------
Boot the grime of this world in the crotch, dear.

Old 04-07-2002, 10:28 AM   #14
Fish

Thumbs up

Well done everyone who took this way too seriously!

Old 04-07-2002, 01:12 PM   #15
Mirror_Untrue

Talking

Also, if the singer on stage does decide to either: pass the mic around for the "sing along" song, or: motion to the audience to sing aloud at key moments, and you know beforehand that your singing ability is severely limited, you MUST waive your "sing along" rights. Leave the crowd participation parts to those that do not fall under the "musically retarded" category.

Don't be that fat lame bitch that gets crushed at the front of the stage at the barrier. Every time there's a real big show, some grotesquely fat chick thinks it would be swell to get as close to the singer of Blink182 as possible, and that nobody else there has the same idea. 3 songs into the set, the bouncers have to pull her obese fainting ass over the barricade. Don't be this pathetic piece of pasty lard.

Old 04-07-2002, 01:19 PM   #16
sawdust restaurants

Thumbs down

You all are WAY too fucking concerned with what other people ought to be doing. As if you were the end-all, be-all supreme deity of rock concerts.

Old 04-07-2002, 03:12 PM   #17
bittertrance

isnt the point of rock to have no rules?

Old 04-07-2002, 03:37 PM   #18
Folladori

Well, it's usually to make music with guitars and drums, but I'll accept that.

Old 04-07-2002, 03:48 PM   #19
Example

Thumbs up

The Admiral

Old 04-07-2002, 03:55 PM   #20
Nothing/everything

Thumbs down

The one thing that i find extremely annoyig is continouos talking. If you're more interested in your fellow concertgo-ers new pants then the band, just fuck off.

Old 04-07-2002, 04:11 PM   #21
Red Wine Cage

Man, all I did at Zwan was yell "whooo" and bunch of times [mostly during solos or in between songs] and "you fucking rule a few times and I know the guy in front of me kept slightly looking back at me. But, I didn't care cos I drove two hours and spent money I shouldn't have.

It was actually kinda sad how UN excited the crowd was. Most the people around me just did the standard rock on sign and cheering after the songs. I was like "c'mon get excited people"

eh. i enjoyed myself.

Old 04-07-2002, 04:29 PM   #22
Best Looking Boy

Fucking buddyhead. Buddyhead isn't cool.

Old 04-07-2002, 04:52 PM   #23
Fish

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Nothing/everything:
The one thing that i find extremely annoyig is continouos talking. If you're more interested in your fellow concertgo-ers new pants then the band, just fuck off.
Even when i'm not taping, this gets on my tits. When I go to a concert I like to listen to the music, not some dick head talking about nothing. The worst was when I saw a STP acoustic set in a tiny club in London. There were like 50-100 people at the most, and yet STILL people talked through all the songs.

Old 04-07-2002, 05:46 PM   #24
trine

Quote:
Originally posted by Nothing/everything:
Thats the one thing that pisses me off at concerts......talking through everything.
SHUT THE FUCK UP BITCH

------------------
build a man a fire and he is warm for a day... set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life...

Old 04-07-2002, 05:54 PM   #25
nevermind

if you little babies hear somebody talking thru yer shit at a show..stop being a whiny little fool and DECK THE DIPSHIT. jesus, is it THAT hard? not like you're gonna get caught in the midst of 1000+ other people anyways..pfft.

Old 04-07-2002, 06:46 PM   #26
Graveflower

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by nevermind:
if you little babies hear somebody talking thru yer shit at a show..stop being a whiny little fool and DECK THE DIPSHIT. jesus, is it THAT hard? not like you're gonna get caught in the midst of 1000+ other people anyways..pfft.
This holds especially true for a 300 person capacity venue with huge bouncers around at all times.

Old 04-07-2002, 08:00 PM   #27
Travis Meeks

reading this was funny...but seeing you people take this way too seriously was even more funny

------------------
Chance and chance alone has a message for us. Everything that occurs out of necessity, everything expected, repeated day in and day out, is mute. Only chance can speak to us. We read its message much as gypsies read the images made by coffee grounds at the bottom of a cup."

Old 04-08-2002, 12:30 AM   #28
Best Looking Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis Meeks:
reading this was funny...but seeing you people take this way too seriously was even more funny

buddyhead isn't cool, shut up.

Old 04-08-2002, 12:40 AM   #29
Travis Meeks

Lightbulb

neither are you

Old 04-08-2002, 12:53 AM   #30
zekix

So.....is wearing the band's shirt to the show REALLY a no-no?